Author Topic: Finally Free  (Read 4249 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Finally Free
« on: October 04, 2010, 11:46:36 AM »
There's something I don't quite get with the song Finally Free.

The lyric booklet for SFAM, as you all no doubt know, shows what characters are singing what lines, and the time period that the scene is taking place in. On Finally Free, after Victoria's chorus, you come to this part:

Their love renewed
They'd rendez-vous
In a pathway out of view
They thought no one knew
Then came a shot out of the night

If we go by the booklet, Victoria supposedly sings these lines. However, she is speaking in the third person; she doesn't sing 'Our love renewed, we'd rendez-vous...' Also, JLB's voice changes from the more female-oriented vocals of Victoria to something a bit more like his natural voice. They can't have been sung by Nicholas as he is unaware of these events. I wonder if these lines are either sung by an un-named 'Narrator', or the older man mentioned in 'Fatal Tragedy'?

This may have been discussed before, but I always think about it whenever I come to this part of the album. What are your opinions?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Finally Free
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 11:50:21 AM »
I don't really worry about it because MP's drumming at the end on LSFNY makes me cream myself every time.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 11:51:26 AM »
Alas, the only things DT can possibly be criticized for is mistakes in the liner notes.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 04:48:56 PM »
I always took it to be nicholas reliving the outcome of his past life experience. Can't say it's ever worried me though.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 04:53:53 PM »
Actually, that reminds me....

Speaking of liner-notes fail, has anyone heard the words "won't" and "lie" in the lyrics to Lie?  I think I can barely hear them but I don't know if I'm just tricking myself.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline robwebster

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 04:55:14 PM »
I always saw those lines as being narrated. Just as BTL is. Not unknown, for the album.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 04:56:02 PM »
I think the theory that it's a third party narration makes sense and was a mistake on their part as far as the font and such goes for the booklet.

My BIG complaint with this song, more specifically the lyrics, is that it reveals Edward to be the author of the note. I for one hate this, as what I thought would've been a bitter-sweet and unfortunate twist would have been for a genuine love-letter written by Julian to be misinterpreted as a suicide note, adding to the tragic element. The ambiguity of "I'd sooner take my life then live with losing you" is a perfect setup. Not sure why they chose to take the cover-up approach. It could've been the unfortunate coincidence that let Edward get off the hook unsuspected.

Other then that, great track.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 06:30:43 PM »
One of my favourite JP guitar solos in this song. It fits so well as the climax to the concept.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 10:00:28 PM »
I've never paid attention to who's supposed to be singing what in SFAM. I just go by context. I'd say that's clearly a mistake, because it could only be spoken in the third person as "narration".
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 02:31:03 AM »

Speaking of liner-notes fail, has anyone heard the words "won't" and "lie" in the lyrics to Lie?  I think I can barely hear them but I don't know if I'm just tricking myself.
You mean "did" and "lie"? You can hear someone (it sounds like Kevin) repeat "lie, lie, lie..." starting at 2.27 in the left channel. Both "did" and "lie" are also repeated in both channels in the final chorus. The voice is pretty soft and mixed low but it's definitely there.
One of my favourite JP guitar solos in this song. It fits so well as the climax to the concept.
Agreed! :hefdaddy

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 03:33:10 AM »
I don't really worry about it because MP's drumming at the end on LSFNY makes me cream myself every time.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 10:46:39 AM »

You mean "did" and "lie"? You can hear someone (it sounds like Kevin) repeat "lie, lie, lie..." starting at 2.27 in the left channel. Both "did" and "lie" are also repeated in both channels in the final chorus. The voice is pretty soft and mixed low but it's definitely there.

Wow, I haven't ever even noticed that!! It's definitely Kevin!  :eek

Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Polis

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 10:25:40 PM »
I'm glad DT has not made any more concept albums. The "storyline" turns out to be pointless, contradictory and cheesy farce. Home is annoying because of the pseudo-exotic pretensions, only a mother could love Beyond this Life's solos and retarded riff, the first 3 ballads are skip tracks, and Finally Free is a convoluted, nauseating recap with a highly idiotic ending. The Dance of Eternity, no matter how you slice it, will always clearly be a finger exercise. There's a reason why everyone says "There aren't a lot of SFAM tracks on my top __ list, but together they are great!" That's because all the tracks are in some way glaringly flawed, and together it makes a tiring, unappealing record.

Whatever though. You guys keep convincing yourself that SFAM is the pinnacle of awesomeness and all that is good in this world, because it's heavy and they play fast. The only memorable, enjoyable moments in the entire album is that one part in Home, The Spirit Carries On, and Overture. Hey, what a coincedence! They are the only SFAM tracks that are included in all the top __ lists!  ::)

Come at me bros.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 10:30:40 PM »
Trolol.  :loser:
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 10:48:37 PM »
:rollin
Huge troll. You're on the wrong forum, buddy.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 08:24:44 AM »
--snip--

I love how this meshes with your top 50!  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens