Author Topic: Kayo Dot/maudlin of the Well/Toby Driver appreciation (merged)  (Read 44394 times)

Offline Kilgore Trout

Re: oh no not objectivity again
« Reply #210 on: July 20, 2014, 03:48:24 AM »
^ Rock solid facts up in here.
For sure, "what have you been smoking?" is solid facts and a necesserary answer. I would have not answered this way if someone hadn't wrote such things. And yes, it is a fact that Toby Driver has little vocal technique. His falseto voice is weak and untrained, he relies heavily on it for high notes because he hasn't trained his naturel high voice, his range is extremely limited, he has no power except when screaming. It's an untrained voice.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 09:01:06 AM by Kilgore Trout »

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Kayo Dot/maudlin of the Well/Toby Driver appreciation (merged)
« Reply #211 on: July 20, 2014, 03:51:54 AM »
Just out of curiosity, do you also go by the name Systolic on 5/8 forums?

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #212 on: July 20, 2014, 07:43:53 AM »
Twice.

I just don't like how structureless and freeform the whole thing is.

I totally understand where you're coming from!

The odd thing about Kayo Dot is that it's incredibly structured, only to sound incredibly unstructured   :azn:
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #213 on: July 20, 2014, 08:58:48 AM »
I see the point about it being structureless and freeform, but I actually like that aspect of the band. For people who need specific hooks in recurring riffs/melodies/verses/choruses, I can see why Kayo Dot would be hard to latch onto, but personally I love that they aren't chained down to certain rules of songwriting. Anything goes in a Kayo Dot song, and that keeps me at the edge of my seat while listening to them, because I never quite know what to expect next. Once the "surprise" wears off, I think Seneca has a point about the songs having a structure, it's just hard to identify at first.

Offline Kilgore Trout

« Reply #214 on: July 20, 2014, 09:00:43 AM »
Just out of curiosity, do you also go by the name Systolic on 5/8 forums?
I don't read nor participate to the 5/8 forums.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #215 on: July 21, 2014, 09:37:42 PM »
On a deep deep Kayo Dot/motW kick at the moment.  Having fun trying to decipher/look for some of the meanings hidden in the songs. 

Was interested in Hubardo, the 5th song 'Zlida Caosgi (To Water the Earth)' and its connection/reference to 'Zodelida Caosaji', two words in the 5th (get it?) key in the Enochian 'Forty Eight Keys/Calls'.  Haven't quite figured it out yet, but its fun to look at the connection between the two. 

Also, The Manifold Curiosity's three varying simultaneous spoken word parts apparently overlap on certain words: "Sift still through hours of its plasma, biding time until the clocks collapse.  Music shattered my spine on the steps outside.  I cannot move, my liquid breathing is sculpted with this binding gel."

Probably old news to everyone, but I thought it was pretty cool. 

Someone with the physical releases of Bath/LYBM should figure out what it was they hid in them.

Offline senecadawg2

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #217 on: August 25, 2014, 09:27:05 AM »
I already pre-ordered the Clear/Red Marble vinyl with the CD included, but I'm not gonna listen to the song since I rather wait for the full album. I am really excited for this though. Hubardo was mindblowing and even if this album isn't on the same level, it will still probably be something special. Kayo Dot are amazing.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #218 on: August 25, 2014, 09:42:58 AM »
Well I won't spoil the song for you, but based solely on the comments in the first press release for the album it sounds like this one is going to be very different from Hubardo. Style aside, I'm not worried about the quality of the music in the slightest. As you said, Kayo Dot is amazing!

Offline Kilgore Trout

« Reply #219 on: August 25, 2014, 10:38:05 AM »
I was expecting something much more different. It sounds pretty much like the most melodic/less chaotic parts of Hubardo, with a different, much cleaner production, but harmonicaly, melodicaly and formaly it's still very much Kayo Dot. The last 3 minutes sound like Zlida Caosgi without the growls and wall of sound. The 80's dark wave influences are there, but mostly in the production (flangers and synths...).
It sounds like the album will be a direct follow-up to Hubardo without the overly chaotic parts and with a different production. I'm okay with that.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: August 25, 2014, 10:46:24 AM »
Someone with the physical releases of Bath/LYBM should figure out what it was they hid in them.

this has been ongoing at UltimateMetal for a couple of years. unfortunately, the little headway gained as led nowhere. there are parts still totally nonsensical  :'(

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #222 on: August 25, 2014, 04:26:42 PM »
I wonder if its just the quality of the rip, but the way the vocals sit in the mix is really fucking weird.  I think its the combination of them being quite high up in the mix, and having little to no reverb/delay. It's like Toby's voice is invading your brain.

The song rules, prog as fuck toward the end.  Can't wait for the album!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #223 on: September 30, 2014, 12:16:49 PM »
Another new track is streaming via NPR, this time the 12 minute opening track "The Mortality of Doves"

https://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2014/09/30/352514340/vikings-choice-kayo-dot-the-mortality-of-doves

I'm going to need more listens, but for now I'm very happy and I really want to dance. Talk about a 180 from Hubardo  :o 

With that being said, I don't expect to like it as much as Hubardo (and I don't expect to ever like either as much as Choirs of the Eye). Still, I have high hopes. Only two more weeks!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #224 on: October 07, 2014, 01:03:01 PM »
The whole album is now streaming, for anyone interested:

https://noisey.vice.com/blog/kayo-dot-coffins-on-io-stream

:tup :tup

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #225 on: October 07, 2014, 02:46:51 PM »
I'm so excited for this album.

Offline adace

« Reply #226 on: October 09, 2014, 04:11:37 PM »
Not really a huge Kayo Dot fan, but the new album is just great. Definitely my favorite of theirs.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #227 on: December 10, 2014, 03:32:22 PM »
Did other people end up liking Coffins on Io? I still haven't listened to it quite as much as I would like to, but I'm going to have to fix that fast. They just announced a show in January within walking distance of my home and I bought a ticket. I'm not sure what to expect, apart from a really small crowd in a really intimate/tiny venue, but I'm very excited...

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #228 on: December 10, 2014, 03:55:25 PM »
I did listen to it and I really like it. It's weird and different for them, but I like it. Maybe not as much as Hubardo, but a very nice night time album before you go to sleep.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: December 10, 2014, 07:45:40 PM »
i love Coffins on Io. it's like they took "Marathon" and parts of Hubardo ("The First Matter") and made a full record out of it.

also, a really nice pairing with Part the Second, the intensely dreamy final maudlin of the Well album.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #230 on: December 10, 2014, 08:52:10 PM »
Meh, it's okay. I like a couple of songs but overall, it's just okay and the vocals are, generally, quite awful.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #231 on: April 14, 2015, 03:50:04 PM »
Just saw them live, was really cool. Would have loved something from Choirs of the Eye or Dowsing Anemone in the setlist, but considering their current lineup (with nobody doing violin or strings) I can understand why. Setlist was pretty much a 45/45 Hubardo/Coffins on IO split with a new song also being played. I feel slightly bad because it was their first time here, and we were only maybe 30 people at the show. Still, I did my part and bought 3 CDs from the merchandise. Picked up Toby's solo album, the first Tartar Lamb album and the Kayo Dot/Tartar Lamb live in Krakow, bought them all from Toby directly. He seemed like a cool guy, very humble and he probably thanked me three times in a few minutes for helping out. Felt nice to support them. :) Haven't heard either of the albums before, so I'm in for a ride.

On another note, the band has been growing on me a lot lately, and I have been digging into the albums I wasn't very familiar with before. Gamma Knife is still probably my least favorite, but there are parts of it that I really enjoy (like the title track), but I feel like all albums have redeemable qualities. Blue Lambency Downward feels very straight forward and structured, and Coyote is a bit weird but very rewarding once you give it time. Stained Glass is a cool little EP. Choirs, Hubardo and Dowsing Anemone would make my top3, all of them are just pretty much perfect. Would probably put Coffins on IO at nr4, a very nice and atmospheric release.  :hat

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #232 on: April 15, 2015, 10:13:18 AM »
I'm glad you got a chance to see them, I know they don't tour in Europe very often.

I saw them back in January and agree with a lot of what you said. Bought a couple things from Toby and he was indeed very humble. Though there may have been even less than 30 people at the show I went to. Setlist for me wasn't bad, but I too was hoping for something from Choirs of the Eye. They played __ on Limpid Form to close the show, which was fun, but that's always been my least favorite song on Dowsing Anemone...

I really loved the new song (assuming it's the same one you heard)- so relaxing. If I had to rank, it would probably be CotE>>>Hubardo>Dowsing Anemone>Blue Lambency/CoI>Gamma Knife>Coyote (don't really get this one). I've yet to hear Stained Glass.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #233 on: April 15, 2015, 11:29:41 AM »
I was hoping to hear __On Limpid Form since it's one of my favorites of theirs (and my favorite on Dowsing), but sadly their setlist was slightly shorter (probably due to curfew) and we only got 7 songs. The new song was very laid back and relaxing, so it's probably the one you are referring to as well. It had that Coffins on IO sound with a very atmospheric sound with some really chilling saxophone stuff and Toby having a really haunting chorus.

Right now I would probably rank the albums:

Choirs of the Eye
Hubardo
Dowsing Anemone With Copper Tongue
Coffins on IO
Blue Lambency Downward
Coyote
Stained Glass
Gamma Knife

I really do enjoy all of their releases, but Gamma Knife slightly less. It feels like a such a jumbled mess at points, but the closer is beautiful.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #234 on: April 15, 2015, 01:49:57 PM »
I was hoping to hear __On Limpid Form since it's one of my favorites of theirs (and my favorite on Dowsing), but sadly their setlist was slightly shorter (probably due to curfew) and we only got 7 songs. The new song was very laid back and relaxing, so it's probably the one you are referring to as well. It had that Coffins on IO sound with a very atmospheric sound with some really chilling saxophone stuff and Toby having a really haunting chorus.

Right now I would probably rank the albums:

Choirs of the Eye
Hubardo
Dowsing Anemone With Copper Tongue
Coffins on IO
Blue Lambency Downward
Coyote
Stained Glass
Gamma Knife

I really do enjoy all of their releases, but Gamma Knife slightly less. It feels like a such a jumbled mess at points, but the closer is beautiful.
My ranking would be about the same, only Coyote and Blue Lambency would be switched.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #235 on: August 06, 2015, 05:03:53 PM »
ANY FANS LIVE ON OR NEAR NYC?

maudling of the FUCKING WELL are reforming for one show on AUG 26th, and the next night Kayo Dot are playing Choirs of the Eye in its enteriety followed by Ichmundioreeeireeeirewhatever and Gamma Knife. 

FUCK!!! FUCK.  fuck living a lifetime away from the cool shit :(

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #236 on: August 07, 2015, 03:21:29 PM »
IM IN NY FOR VACATION BUT IM LIKE AN HOUR AWAY. OH MY GOD I GOTTA FIND A WAY.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #237 on: August 07, 2015, 03:32:35 PM »
An hour? It'd be a real shame if you couldn't cover that distance.

Unfortunately for me, 10 hours up and 10 hours back on a Wednesday night is impossible for me. I wish they would take this lineup and show out for a small tour sometime.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #238 on: August 08, 2015, 01:22:14 AM »
I said gamma knife but it's stained glass. It looks like it's the whole week residency. :( waaaaaaaah

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #239 on: August 08, 2015, 09:18:14 AM »
An hour? It'd be a real shame if you couldn't cover that distance.
Going to NY for the first time in my life sooo...

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #240 on: August 08, 2015, 10:24:57 AM »
Oh no I completely understand, especially in a city like New York. It just seems like such perfect timing!

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #241 on: August 08, 2015, 10:26:36 AM »
I wish I was a New Yorker.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #242 on: August 08, 2015, 03:12:30 PM »
I'd love to go to the motW reunion especially but as Greg Massi has talked about those shows on his podcast they are both not selling tickets in advance, and the venue is limited seating.

It's a bit of an investment and gamble to travel half-way across the country for, as much as I love motW.

Not to forget, for my situation, having a fiancee who I and her are traveling to Cleveland in a couple of weeks for a conference for her career pursuits (and I have a cousin I can stay with).

If motW came to Chicago and I chose not to take another trip all-year, I would probably make the trek.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #243 on: August 26, 2015, 04:25:08 AM »
https://vimeo.com/ondemand/motw2015

there is hope, the motW set is being released on vimeo for only $8, hopefully the same goes for the COTE set.  some goodness has come from this pain. 

Offline Enigmachine