Author Topic: Kayo Dot/maudlin of the Well/Toby Driver appreciation (merged)  (Read 44086 times)

Offline Pockets17red

• Unofficially Official Prog Archivist
  • If you don't like it, right up yours!
Re: Kayo Dot/maudlin of the Well/Toby Driver appreciation
« Reply #140 on: March 18, 2012, 05:59:30 PM »
Ryan told me they sold out!! D:

They have at least 26 copies of each album on CD
Keep on turning, Keep on turning, Turning around, Spinning around, round, round, round, round, round, round, round, round...

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #141 on: March 19, 2012, 03:46:41 AM »
Ryan told me they sold out!! D:

Maybe he talked about the signed versions.
Still, you should pick up Part the Second and Leaving Your Body Map as well, they're certainly not any worse then Bath. :P (meaning it in a good way)

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #142 on: March 19, 2012, 09:18:56 AM »
hmm well hmm ok hmmmmmm

Offline Tripp

• "Just because I OD'ed doesn't mean I do drugs"
« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2012, 09:45:23 PM »
Just placed my order for a copy of Bath,

here's hoping I can still get Leaving Your Body Map before they sell out.
hi

Offline Pockets17red

• Unofficially Official Prog Archivist
  • If you don't like it, right up yours!
« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2012, 10:10:11 PM »
hmm well hmm ok hmmmmmm
Straight from Blood Music's facebook
"We have around 75 copies left of all three maudlin of the Well's CDs for pre-order. They will be released on April 13th (two weeks away). If we sell out of these shortly, then we will repress My Fruit Psychobells as well. Don't pass it by!"
Keep on turning, Keep on turning, Turning around, Spinning around, round, round, round, round, round, round, round, round...

Offline Tripp

« Reply #145 on: March 30, 2012, 10:33:08 PM »
hmm well hmm ok hmmmmmm
Straight from Blood Music's facebook
"We have around 75 copies left of all three maudlin of the Well's CDs for pre-order. They will be released on April 13th (two weeks away). If we sell out of these shortly, then we will repress My Fruit Psychobells as well. Don't pass it by!"

This gives me hope! I may actually have a chance to get LYBM as well! Sweeeet.
hi

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #146 on: March 31, 2012, 06:23:09 AM »
I REALLY wish I had money. I'd love to have all three of them.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Blood Music

« Reply #147 on: April 13, 2012, 12:08:00 AM »
As has been stated in the other thread, we still have some copies left of all 3 albums.

Additionally, we just decided to pick up My Fruit Psychobells for a re-release, but that won't come for some months.

The *signed* versions sold out within 24 hours. 

The non-signed versions sold like lightning the first few days and are still chugging along.  We're selling a few copies everyday.  At this rate, they will be gone within about a month at latest.

Release date is today BTW, and everything is starting to ship :)

Offline Blood Music

« Reply #148 on: April 23, 2012, 12:53:50 AM »
Heads up to anyone following this thread, all pre-orders were shipped.  They nearly gutted us... we have 28 copies of "Part the Second" left... !

Offline Blood Music

« Reply #149 on: May 02, 2012, 02:20:18 PM »
Hey folks in this thread... we've only got 10 copies left :)

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
Maudlin Of The Well
« Reply #150 on: May 07, 2012, 07:42:16 PM »
after listening to bath for the first time... im TOTALLY blown away. what an amazing album
listening to Part The Second now.
I love beautiful things.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
Re: Maudlin Of The Well
« Reply #151 on: May 07, 2012, 07:49:34 PM »
maudlin of the Well* :P

I'm still waiting for my CDs...

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2012, 08:30:26 PM »
Bath is really cool, I enjoy it more with each subsequent listen. I absolutely love The Ferryman.

Offline Tripp

hi

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #154 on: May 07, 2012, 09:04:14 PM »
Yeah we gots a thread. Awesome band. Bath is an alltime favourite of mine.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #155 on: May 07, 2012, 10:44:07 PM »
One of my favorite bands ever, but yeah we already have a thread for them.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #156 on: May 08, 2012, 03:41:28 AM »
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=1715.0
i went to the "A-Z index of band threads" befpre making this topic..
that thread doesnt apear there.
I love beautiful things.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #157 on: May 08, 2012, 03:42:13 AM »
I love beautiful things.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: May 08, 2012, 03:46:13 AM »
In a few cases they haven't been added yet, but normally we just point it out there and the list gets updated.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
Re: Kayo Dot/maudlin of the Well/Toby Driver appreciation (merged)
« Reply #159 on: May 16, 2012, 03:28:19 PM »
New news letter from Toby:

-Kickstarter for new music/performance art collaboration (it's.... out there)
-Gamma Knife Vinyl preorder
-he's working on solo songs and new Kayo Dot in a Gamma Knife style, which will be studio recorded (:caffeine:)
-Kayo Dot west coast tour August 16th-September 1st
-Tartar Lamb, Library Loft, motW, and Kayo Dot now all on one bandcamp page, free streaming for all

Fear of humiliating failure aside, I'm trying to prevent myself from becoming a lesbian-coiffed aging rocker by writing music for "classical," "fine arts," and/or "serious" contexts such as amazing creepy zombie-esque Japanese modern dance forms!

In April, I held a performance of such a piece, ICHNEUMONIDAE, as a trio (guitar, violin, and dance/percussion). I like to think of that performance as sort of like a flag along the road of commitment to a larger-scale and more intensive work. So, the time has now come to try to expand this piece for a larger ensemble and actually make some killer media (album, film, yes!!!) out of it that people can enjoy at home. Ergo, a Kickstarter campaign to try to get this thing going...!

I would so so so greatly appreciate it if you could take a look at the project page and consider donating to support the production of this movie. I'm super-excited to finally take this first step into the realm of combining intrinsic visual elements with my music, something I have always wanted to do.  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tdriver/toby-driver-and-michelle-morinaga-ichneumonidae

It took me a while to decide which one of my running projects to try to fund this way. I've got a whole bunch of things on my plate, such as a handful of solo songs, as well as new Kayo Dot stuff (in the style of Gamma Knife and hoping to do a real studio recording, what!) But, I decided to do Ichneumonidae here because it seems like the MOST difficult to fund through other means. Just to be candid for a minute here, you know there is a whole scene of musicians who apply for and receive grants/commissions to do stuff like this. I tried to get into that world a bit over the past couple of years and have had no luck with it whatsoever. Can't get anything funded through those means. Really, that sort of thing makes a guy start to get pretty dark on himself, to be succinct. And labels don't want to fund Ichneumonidae, it's unmarketable. Anyway, you guys are the listeners. You're the people that actually want to put this stuff on your iPods and have it come at you during a rainy train ride, instead of keeping it on a shelf in an archive of all the classy shit your organization helped produce and only pulls out of storage when it comes time to apply for more funding. So if you're interested in hearing/seeing it, please consider donating to the kickstarter campaign, that's the only way it'll happen!  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tdriver/toby-driver-and-michelle-morinaga-ichneumonidae

Yeah, I know it seems like summer is kickstarter season and everyone's doing it. I felt a little bit weird about launching this at this exact moment just because two of my closest friends have also just launched their own kickstarter campaigns for their own incredible music. Just want you to know that we are not competitive. You can check their projects out at the following links, and also please consider donating. Their music needs to be out in the world and it gets my highest recommendation.

Tim Byrnes/Hazel-Rah: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1158799759/hazel-rah-the-full-length-album

Jeremiah Cymerman: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1767687795/purification-dissolution

And, this one: https://www.ifc.com/portlandia/videos/portlandia-kickstarter

---------

In other news, the Kayo Dot west coast tour has been moved to August 16-September 1. We have some if it booked already but are still looking for dates. If you can help, please get in touch!

And - our most recent album GAMMA KNIFE is having its vinyl and CD release and  is available for preorder at https://antitheticrecords.storenvy.com/products/327764-kayo-dot-gamma-knife-12

And - I've just put almost ALL of my recorded output up for streaming, buying, downloading, whatever, at https://kayodot.bandcamp.com - check it!!!!

Thanks for reading. Your support means everything,
much love
Toby Driver

Offline Blood Music

« Reply #160 on: May 17, 2012, 10:13:34 PM »
To all those who have not gotten motW on vinyl.  We're going to have a one day sale on Tuesday, May 22nd (8PM Finland/1PM NYC), taking 10€ off the original price.  That's 29.99€ for both.  Only 40 copies left of each.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 11:46:45 PM by Blood Music »

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #161 on: June 15, 2012, 09:14:11 AM »
interesting stuff i noticed about Bath/Leaving Your Body Map:

1. They got the album covers of each other.
2. Whan you look closely at the cover of Bath, you can see the road leads to the album cover of Leaving Your Body Map
3.The signs at the side of the road in the album cover: the first one is saturn, second one is Uranus, after that Neptune, and last one is Pluto.
The road is painted on the sun, the Bath at the end of the road is outside the solar system.
4. The melody the guitar plays at 2:35 in " The Blue Ghost/Shedding Qliphoth" is played backwards in 1:30 in "Stones of October's Sobbing"
5. Bath is 61 minutes and 2 seconds long, while Leaving Your Body Map is exactly 61 minutes long. like there are 2 missing seconds.
is the missing seconds symbolize the "Secret Song" that was released along with those 2 albums?
I love beautiful things.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #162 on: March 14, 2013, 01:13:41 AM »
Next album out this fall, tis a double album:

Hello everyone!

I feel like it's been a while since I've sent one of these. A lot has happened, but I want to keep this message focused mainly on one thing - the new and forthcoming Kayo Dot album!

Basically what's going on is that we've been working on an epic double-album prog masterwork. I'm pasting the press release below so you can read all the details and trade it around, post it on your blogs (if you would be so kind!) and all that. We think this is one of the best things we've ever done, honest. So, we're incredibly excited about it. It'll be our first pro studio album in a few years', too... the last two were more or less home recordings due to budget constraints. So, the pre-order is really what's going to make this possible for us or not - therefore, if this is something that interests you, please place a pre-order now! We need to sell a bunch of these before the beginning of April... crunch!!! Check out the press release below.

And, since we're running a new preorder for Kayo Dot, I also wanted to anticipate any questions about the Ichneumonidae DVD and record that we funded last year. If you're not on my facebook or missed the post, the music part is totally finished - there are some samples from Ichneumonidae up at this soundcloud link: https://soundcloud.com/tobydriver/sets/ichneumonidae-unmastered-clips . And the film portion is still forthcoming. I hope the audio clips can tide you over until we are able to make that happen.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Boston-born, and now New York City-based veteran avant-metallers KAYO DOT, led by Toby Driver, are set to hit the studio for their 7th album, Hubardo, this April. This album will mark the 10-year anniversary of KAYO DOT's debut and landmark release, Choirs of The Eye, and the band will trek out to Avast Studios in Seattle, Washington, with producer RANDALL DUNN (SunnO))), Wolves In The Throne Room, Black Mountain) returning to the helm.

Hubardo is an approximately 90-minute conceptual epic double-album, with story and lyrics written by longtime lyricist and former MAUDLIN OF THE WELL vocalist, Jason Byron. Musically, the album covers the spectrum of all of the band's works, from the sparse doomy elements of Choirs of The Eye, to the blast-beat, woodwind-driven Gamma Knife, the chorus-bass goth fusion of Coyote, and even lush orchestrated prog moments harkening back to the days of their previous band, MAUDLIN OF THE WELL, and, as with all the band's releases, Driver and Co. venturing into new territory. The album sees a returning cast of characters with Toby Driver on Bass, Keys, Guitars and Vocals, Terran Olson on Keys and Woodwinds, Daniel Means on Woodwinds and Synth, Mia Matsumiya on violin, Tim Byrnes on Trumpet and Horn in F, the first proper studio recording with Keith Abrams on drums, and the first recording contribution of longtime live collaborator Ron Varod on Guitar. Hubardo will also feature a very special guest vocal appearance by Jason Byron - his first recorded appearance since MAUDLIN OF THE WELL's 2001 albums, Bath and Leaving Your Body Map.

This album will be self-released on the band's own imprint, ICE LEVEL MUSIC, and pre-orders will be taken to help fund the recording and travel costs. Pre-Orders will be offered in 3xLP Deluxe, Standard, and Digital-only editions, featuring limited 200g colored vinyl in a triple gatefold (6 huge panels of artwork), a 5-chapter poem by Jason Byron entitled The Sword Of Satan, signed poster, T-shirt, guitar pick, and sticker. The Pre-Order system is now LIVE at https://kayodot.bigcartel.com

Here is the track listing for the album:

1. The Black Stone (~7:00)
2. Crown-In-The-Muck (~9:00)
3. Thief (~5:30)
4. Vision Adjustment To Another Wavelength (~5:00)
5. Zodelida Caosaji (To Water The Earth) (~6:00)
6. The First Matter (Saturn In The Guise Of Sadness) (~9:30)
7. The Second Operation (Lunar Water) (~10:30)
8. Floodgate (~7:00)
9. And He Built Him A Boat (~7:00)
10. Passing The River (~8:00)
11. The Wait Of The World (~18:00)
The Pre-Order system is now LIVE at https://kayodot.bigcartel.com and the records will be limited to 300 copies for the Deluxe Edition and 200 copies for the Standard Edition. Hubardo is slated for a fall 2013 release to coincide with Kayo Dot's tenth anniversary.

Thanks for reading, and for your continued support!

Toby Driver on behalf of Kayo Dot.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #163 on: March 14, 2013, 02:18:30 AM »
Really exciting news. Wanted to preorder the deluxe, but with shipping here it becomes 90 dollars. I still might, but I gotta think about it first.

Edit: Caved in an ordered it. 92 dollars, fml.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 02:35:01 AM by Zantera »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #165 on: July 09, 2013, 05:31:31 PM »
YES :metal :metal :metal

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #166 on: July 09, 2013, 10:16:14 PM »
Very cool, sounds invigoratingly new and fresh. I'm really excited for Hubardo.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: July 10, 2013, 03:19:02 AM »
This is fucking awesome. Definitely going to pre-order the digital version now.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #168 on: August 28, 2013, 01:43:37 PM »
Bumpity bump bump!

Check out the new track, Thief

https://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2013/08/01/207932250/vikings-choice-kayo-dot-sums-up-a-decade-of-sonic-transgression-in-thief

I have a strong feeling this album will come in near the top of my year's end list  :tup :tup

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #169 on: August 29, 2013, 12:33:41 PM »
The two other tracks they released that arent named "thief" are even better. seems like the best thing toby has done since part the second.

https://www.cvltnation.com/exclusive-cvlt-nation-streaming-kayo-dot-passing-river/

https://www.invisibleoranges.com/2013/07/stream-kayo-dot-and-he-built-him-a-boat/
I love beautiful things.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #170 on: August 30, 2013, 09:43:53 PM »
The album is pretty crazy. Not sure what to think after the first listen, but it's got some really awesome sections.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #171 on: August 30, 2013, 11:36:14 PM »
Album is fantastic.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: August 31, 2013, 08:29:50 AM »
I'm excited about the album. I'm almost through with my first listen, and it's all completely blown through me. This is clearly going to need at least 10 listens to properly sink in, and I haven't heard an album like that in quite a long time.

Edit: The By-Tor and the Snow Dog section around 8 minutes in on the closing track is really neat.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 08:42:13 AM by Ultimetalhead »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #173 on: August 31, 2013, 08:50:17 AM »
I really liked my first listen, but it was way much too take in all at once. It's gonna need time, and I'm gonna give it time.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #174 on: September 01, 2013, 11:38:56 AM »
The first 20 minutes are hard to swallow. Of course, Choirs of the Eye was also hard for me to swallow, and that's one of my all time favorites now, so I'm definitely going to keep at it.