Author Topic: Kayo Dot/maudlin of the Well/Toby Driver appreciation (merged)  (Read 44068 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
I've been horrifically binging on all three^ lately - just got Driver's solo album, In the L.. L.. Library Loft the other day. Absolutely stunning album, and the concepts behind each song are really interesting.

Anyways, appreciate them here, bitches.

Oh, and Choirs of the Eye is one of the greatest albums ever recorded. Just so you know.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Metalingus

Re: Kayo Dot/maudlin of the Well/Toby Driver appreciation
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 08:30:10 PM »
Bath and Leaving Your Body Map are my two favorite albums ever.

Offline JoeBob

• I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 10:01:03 PM »
Bath and Leaving Your Body Map are my two favorite albums ever.

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy
Sig removed for being too tall.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 12:14:41 PM »
Anyone else listened to Driver's solo album? I found this thing talking about the ideas behind the songs on his website:

Kandu vs. Corky (Horrorca)

This one's a microtonal piece that loves bell-shaped things. The rhythm is basically a bell-curve shape over and over again, and some of the instrumentation (bells, and sine waves) are themselves bell-shaped. Part of the original idea was to mic things really loud but play them extra-quietly, so that they sounded really artifact-laden on tape. The strings at the beginning use this idea, as well as some of the cymbals, which we miked right above the rim of each, and a simple touch would produce an insanely resonant bass tone. All these things working together create an extremely undulatious take on contemporary drone-metal.

electric guitar, bells, sine waves, drum kit (2), upright bass, electric bass, violin, trombone, euphonium, trumpet, vocal.

The Lugubrious Library Loft

This clustonic piece is based on the need for two persons to perform each instrument. For example, the piano requires a player on the keyboard and a player malleting the strings simultaneously, and so on for each instrument. As for the vocals, one person was to sing only the notes in an "ah" while the second person skillfully inserted their lips, tongue, and teeth into the first person's mouth and moved them around a bit to form the enunciations.

prepared piano, string piano, bowed tuning forks, tuning fork pattycake, two-tongue vocals, electric bass, electric guitar, violin.

Brown Light Upon Us

The idea behind this one was to just have a band play in one room, and place the microphone in another room behind walls and closed doors. I wrote the song with those things in mind, trying to use sounds, rhythms, harmonies, etc. that would result in a song that sounded right only when listened to from one room over - in other words, if you heard it in the room it was being played in, it wouldn't sound as good. The ambient quality of the song would obviously have to be pretty important, to discourage the listener from listening in a way that they were used to doing. I've heard plenty of music that has haunted me most when drifting in from a far-off hall, most often piano music. Never with a metal band though, so i was trying to capture the same vibe here with that instrumentation.

electric guitar, drum kit, electric bass, remote snare drum.

Eptaceros

Kayo Dot's trumpetist at the time had been experimenting with interesting extended-technique trumpet sounds. I was interested in hearing his technique in a different context, so I wrote a song based on that, "Eptaceros" means "seven-horn," an appropriately haunting title for one of the most beautiful and bleak pieces I have ever written.

cello (2), electric guitar, piano, trumpet, vocal.

Offline Neccy60

• Official Boards of Canada Fanperson
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 06:05:25 AM »
/appreciates

Not enough people here appreciate them.  Sad.  :sad:

Quote from: axeman90210
Mr. Neccy, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 09:28:48 PM »
I saw that the new Maudlin of the Well album was getting rave reviews, but I wasn't a big fan of the Kayo Dot album I once owned, can anyone give me a brief explanation in how the two bands differ?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 09:32:21 PM »
Well, I just saw that the new album can be downloaded in hi-res FLAC format for free from the band, so I suppose I can just give that a spin and don't really need help. :lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
I saw that the new Maudlin of the Well album was getting rave reviews, but I wasn't a big fan of the Kayo Dot album I once owned, can anyone give me a brief explanation in how the two bands differ?

1) Which Kayo Dot album did you have? Even between the three they have out they vary drastically.

2) maudlin of the Well was the precursor to Kayo Dot, it was much more of a metal band than Kayo Dot ever was. motW released only three albums - their last two, Bath and Leaving Your Body Map are considered "companion albums", and were released at the same time. While all three albums are very heavy, their last two had much more acoustic and ethereal type stuff then their first, and as they began writing material for the fourth album, several members dropped, the band changed labels, and, more importantly, the music they were writing was no longer 'metal'. As a result, motW decided to change their name to Kayo Dot to break themselves of the metal image that motW had, and the fourth motW album instead became Kayo Dot's first album, Choirs of the Eye.

That said, motW's new album is NOTHING like they're previous work. It is distinctly lighter and more ethereal (there's no growls to be found). Knowing you're tastes, I'm not going to guarantee you'll like it (although I think you'd enjoy the last track, which is somewhat closer to prog), but its certainly worth a listen, especially since its free.

Well, I just saw that the new album can be downloaded in hi-res FLAC format for free from the band, so I suppose I can just give that a spin and don't really need help. :lol

God dammit Nick and right after I typed all this out.   :millahhhh

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 07:52:53 PM »
NECROTHREAD

Just got Choirs of the Eye (after searching for ages, I had to go with iTunes).   Listening now and at track 3.  Pretty awesome so far, really interesting production.  The singer's softer moments remind me of Jeff Buckley a lot. 

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 08:12:53 PM »
I actually like the newer motW album quite a lot, regarding it as a different style of work.  Driver's similarity to Buckley is no coincidence, also, especially in A Pitcher of Summer.  That one's always reminded me immensely of "So Real."  I think Choirs of the Eye is better than anything motW has done, personally, though Bath and Leaving Your Body Map come very close.  This solo album sounds quite interesting, I should get around to checking it out soon!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 08:17:39 PM »
Driver's similarity to Buckley is no coincidence, also, especially in A Pitcher of Summer.  That one's always reminded me immensely of "So Real." 

Exactly that!

Yeah, I really like Part the Second.  I only have that and Choirs... but I'm keen to look at some other stuff.  And the stuff Sigz posted about the Driver solo album was really interesting, wouldn't mind hearing that.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 01:21:48 AM »
I love how My Fruit Psychobells... A Seed Combustible always gets overlooked.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 03:04:35 AM »
My Fruit Psychobells is so awesome. A Conception Pathetic is one of my favorite maudlin songs.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 06:23:15 PM »
What does everyone here think of Coyote?  For whatever reason I haven't gotten around to hearing that one yet...

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 06:07:48 AM »
It's quite good. I think I like Blue Lambency more, but it's still a great album.

Also, they have an EP called Stained Glass coming out in November :caffeine:

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 06:14:26 AM »
Hello Cookies,

Welcome to the second installment of the illustrious Kayo Dot Mailing List.
Here's what's going on now:

Kayo Dot, which is a modest and humble avant-and-or-compositional-rock band hailing from NYC, and is the best thing since those sliced cross-sectional faces at Philadelphia's Mutter Museum, is about to embark upon a brief Northeast U.S. and Canada tour! This is in support of our new EP, STAINED GLASS, which is a long, floating, vibraphone-centric distortion cloud representing (musically) a Luciferian journey across colorful windows from left to right in a darkened cathedral.

We're going to be touring in that same perilous heatless, air-conditioningless, schoko-duo graffiti magnet as we've been for the past 7 years. Even if you can't come to a show, please send us positive and bright thoughts of remaining upright and safely cushioned from other objects by air.

In addition to this, we're also celebrating the vinyl release of our last album, COYOTE, and the vinyl release of maudlin of the Well's PART THE SECOND. We'll have ALL of these items for sale with us on tour...! Also, most of the shows we booked are ALL AGES...  After the amazing turnouts in NYC in February, we knew that having as many All Ages shows as possible was very important - so please come on out and prove us right!

Our drummer on this tour will be the legendary Keith Abrams, formerly of Time of Orchids, who will also make sure our van doesn't break. Additionally, our other drummer, Dave Bodie, will be joining us and Keith at our NYC show as a percussionist - so, at that show we'll have the two drummers, yow!!
Here's the tour itinerary:

11/06 Boston, MA @ The Middle East Upstairs ALL AGES - TERRAN'S BIRTHDAY (sort of) BRING PRESENTS,
11/07 Purchase, NY @ SUNY Purchase Student Center ALL AGES
11/08 Montreal, QC @ Les Katacombes ALL AGES
11/09 Ottawa, ON @ Cake Dekcuf 19+ - MIA'S BIRTHDAY. BRING WEIRDER PRESENTS
11/10 Toronto, ON @ Sneaky Dee's 19+ - NEIL GAIMAN'S BIRTHDAY, (I'll wear my Sandman shirt if you wear yours)
11/11 Middletown, CT @ Eclectic House (Wesleyan University) ALL AGES - MINE ROMP or ABANDONED MENTAL INSTITUTION ROMP afterparty
11/12 Baltimore, MD @ Orion Studios w/ Newspeak ALL AGES
11/13 Bethlehem, PA @ Secret Art Space w/ Newspeak ALL AGES
11/14 Brooklyn, NY @ Littlefield w/ Newspeak 21+

NOTE - The Montreal show, which was originally at Casa Del Popolo, has been moved to LES KATACOMBES.

Important!!:
Please buy your tickets for these shows IN ADVANCE if at all possible - in the past, some of our shows have been cancelled by the venue or promoter if pre-sale tickets are too low. So please get them in advance to prevent this!

The lineup on this tour:

Toby Driver - guitar, bass, and vox
Mia Matsumiya - violin, guitar, and keys
Terran Olson - keys and tenor sax
Dan Means - alto sax, guitar, keys, and bass
Tim Byrnes - trumpet and french horn
Keith Abrams - drumset

In further news, we'll be doing a European tour in late January and February 2010, and are planning on having copies of the new Tartar Lamb 2 vinyl phonograph record for that tour!!! That's all for now.. thanks for reading!

Pieces,

Toby Driver on behalf of Kayo Dot
https://www.kayodot.net
https://www.kayodot.net/toby

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 07:06:23 AM »
Been listening to Stained Glass lately, it's very good. The title is definitely fitting, and it's very atmospheric and textural, almost approaching ambient music but still with discernible melodies underneath. Really interesting stuff.

Also, apparently Toby has another 'pop black metal' project called Vaura. There's only one demo on their myspace, but it's REALLY good. I can't wait to hear more: https://www.myspace.com/vaura

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 03:20:33 PM »
I'm finally getting to see Kayo Dot live on Feb. 15th :caffeine:

I think I'm going to try to rape Toby after the show just because I love him so much.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 03:25:39 PM »
Awesome.  I've wanted more and more to see Kayo Dot since I've started to really appreciate the post-Choirs of the Eye albums as much as CotE itself. 

Unfortunately, I am not in the right location to see Kayo Dot or rape Toby, so give him an extra special one for me!   :tup

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 06:32:04 PM »

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 09:57:22 PM »
^ god damn that will be expensive, but i'm afraid my trigger finger is going to hop right on it when it happens.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 01:27:41 PM »
Just got Choirs Of The Eye. Very psyched for my first listen.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
Just got Choirs Of The Eye. Very psyched for my first listen.

Awesome!   ;)

Don't expect to absolutely love it through your first listen, though, it's a real grower. 

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 03:57:07 PM »
Choirs of the Eye is one of the greatest albums ever recorded.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 03:59:48 PM »

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2011, 11:14:51 AM »
Only had time to listen to Marathon, but it was at least a 'proper' listen, in that I was paying complete attention to it in bed with headphones turned up loud. And holy crap, the metal parts were terrifying, and I love how you can hear that they're about to happen just before they do. The song was actually kind of what I expected based on what I'd heard about the band, but it was still great. I'll listen to the whole album this weekend probably.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2011, 11:32:12 AM »
Love Marathon. I love the spoken word in the outro.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2011, 11:36:47 AM »
Like a kiss, soft, and wild with the delicate steps of petals fallen in a stream
This swirling ballerina turns in faint and sighing grandeur
Across the floor to me.
A monarch plays the violin to a summer's afternoon
Whilst quietly the earthworm adores the soil in winter's sparkling gloom
It breaks away, growing as the flowers do.

A thunderhead embraces his enraptured lover
And kisses with a gale that also makes the cattails shudder.
His tears cannot, as he proclaims his love, be held with lightning back;
They fondly dance into an open window
And fondly dance with mine.

Our eyelashes weaken with a weight that is sweet and fine,
And this feels like frogs and spiders in the sweet outside.
Tell me why world, unfathomable and good,
The beauty of everything is infinite and cruel.

An airplane, a puppet, an orange, a spoon,
A window, and outside
Stars and the moon.

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2011, 12:10:33 PM »
Like a kiss, soft, and wild with the delicate steps of petals fallen in a stream
This swirling ballerina turns in faint and sighing grandeur
Across the floor to me.
A monarch plays the violin to a summer's afternoon
Whilst quietly the earthworm adores the soil in winter's sparkling gloom
It breaks away, growing as the flowers do.

A thunderhead embraces his enraptured lover
And kisses with a gale that also makes the cattails shudder.
His tears cannot, as he proclaims his love, be held with lightning back;
They fondly dance into an open window
And fondly dance with mine.

Our eyelashes weaken with a weight that is sweet and fine,
And this feels like frogs and spiders in the sweet outside.
Tell me why world, unfathomable and good,
The beauty of everything is infinite and cruel.

An airplane, a puppet, an orange, a spoon,
A window, and outside
Stars and the moon.

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
So amazing. :)

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2011, 08:21:32 PM »
i don't think anything quite matches the poetry of "A Pitcher of Summer." its words were actually the reason why i retried the band several years after disliking Choirs when it came out (i was young, blame my undiscerning ear!).

One morning, before the leaves began changing
I caught a piece of summer and poured it into a pitcher;

This I placed in the cellar on a shelf collecting dust .
Autumn, then winter, rose up from the sea, and my
Garden was a garden filled with unbroken snow.

No flower strained its face to the ice giants' whisper,
No life coloured the vision of a newborn Spring babe.
My cellar-water dripping into a pail

And I lifted my piece of summer
Like a piece of memory or a dream

Like these, caught on film
And carried it to the garden floes,
The wind turning drifting stars to madness.

Poured forth gracefully, this etheric tincture
Lifts winter's coat-of-arms with coaxing aromas and electricity.
Used with vigilance, a Pitcher of Summer stirs a memory into swooning,
And bravely, the flowers of the past will stretch their limbs into the sky
While snow falls quietly all around.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:38:27 AM by seasonsinthesky »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2011, 08:26:37 PM »
I'm pretty sure ctheric is a typo even though it says it for reals. Ctheric is not a word. I'm pretty sure he says etheric.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2011, 08:31:30 PM »
I've always wondered about that too, but I've always felt this

I'm pretty sure ctheric is a typo even though it says it for reals. Ctheric is not a word. I'm pretty sure he says etheric.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2011, 08:37:37 AM »
indeed, the word is "etheric" - i literally copied and pasted that mofo off of darklyrics but somehow didn't think it appropriate to fix. shit, son!

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2011, 04:48:55 AM »
Bumping just to say that ___ On Limpid Form is fucking amazing.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2011, 09:28:37 AM »
It's actually my least favourite Kayo Dot song. :blush