Author Topic: Dream Theater made a rock and roll hall of fame.  (Read 29515 times)

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
Re: Dream Theater made a rock and roll hall of fame.
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2010, 06:51:48 PM »
This acoustic set had better make it on to Youtube.  Thats more exciting to me than them getting into a R&R HOF. 

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2010, 10:42:52 PM »
Fingers introducing DT (For you non-Long Islanders, Fingers was a hugely important heavy metal DJ for many years, and was probably the first DJ to ever put DT on the radio - note the shout-out in the I&W liner notes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGpeF1YKRXc

John's acceptance speech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BKuwfKBHK8

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2010, 10:49:39 PM »
Holy crap.  You don't waste any time!  I'm still recharging my camera to upload my photos.  lol.  It was fun to be there.  And nice to meet other DT fans.  Shout out to Gabe.  Hope I didn't freak Petrucci out with my fanboyness.  It's a shame we didn't get a pic with Myung!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 10:58:39 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2010, 10:52:56 PM »
Awesome!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2010, 10:55:23 PM »
 It's a shame we didn't get a pic with Myung!

No one gets a pic with Myung. If they're lucky they get one with his cardboard cut-out.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2010, 10:56:53 PM »
That's awesome!
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2010, 10:58:19 PM »
Thanks for the vid so quick Zep. You kick ass!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2010, 11:00:51 PM »
It's a shame we didn't get a pic with Myung!

No one gets a pic with Myung. If they're lucky they get one with his cardboard cut-out.

Myung was interesting.  We were about 10 feet away from him and his wife in the audience.  He let Petrucci handle the speech and then he took his seat to watch another hour or so of the induction.  I spotted him for a second in the after-party and then he was gone!  I made a conscious effort to keep my eye on him because I really wanted a Myung pic.  But he slipped through our fingers.

I do have some pics of Myung getting interviewed by a local TV station.  I'll upload them tomorrow.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2010, 11:15:12 PM »
It definitely was an interesting night and a very nice place. It was nice meeting and talking to other DT fans. It was also nice talking to mebert78 (sorry didnt get your name) ill probably send the pics sometime tomorrow. I also have a video of the acceptance speech, but it was already uploaded by another member. After the ceremony had a quick 5 minute talk with JP about their future and he said expect big news very soon. John myung disappeared and i wasnt able to get one picture of that man and he didnt say a word of course. JP is such an awesome guy to talk to. ok done

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2010, 11:35:21 PM »
Lol... of course I act fast.  I figure, why waste time?!  :)

I'm so regretting not taking a pic w/ Myung when I had a chance!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2010, 11:38:04 PM »
Haha I just started watching the Petrucci speech.

"that was amazing....you know we're looking for a drummer".

great stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2010, 11:41:16 PM »
Great videos, Zep. Thanks a lot!
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2010, 12:03:58 AM »

(L-R): ZeppelinDT, Mr. John Petrucci, Mebert78

Offline nikostheater

« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2010, 01:32:37 AM »
Oh guys,you were so lucky to be there!
Thank you so much for the videos and the pic.
What a historic night for Dream Theater and the DT community.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2010, 01:55:02 AM »
Wow, thanks for the video Zep!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2010, 05:08:31 AM »

(L-R): ZeppelinDT, Mr. John Petrucci, Mebert78
:metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2010, 05:11:41 AM »
The Bear cleans up nicely
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Mladen

« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2010, 06:45:29 AM »
Those two videos were just awesome. Thanks ZeppelinDT.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2010, 07:02:27 AM »
Yes indeed!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2010, 07:39:59 AM »
Yes indeed!

Thanks a lot, Zeppelin!
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2010, 08:18:28 AM »
did anyone who went have the balls to ask him about the status of the drummer?

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2010, 08:21:31 AM »
Looking forward to reading your story for The Breakdown Room, Mike. Looks like it was a great event and you had fun! Thanks again for doing it!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2010, 08:32:32 AM »
during the acceptance speech, JP looks kinda like Two-Face or something  :lol

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2010, 08:39:12 AM »
Hey, Brian.  Yeah, I'll definitely try to write it tonight after work.

Yea, gabeh1018 asked a lot of Portnoy related questions and questions about the drummer.  I'll let him tell it though, if he wants.  But basically, JP said that we should expect an announcement pretty soon, although he declined to give a timeframe or confirm whether it would be announced before the end of the year.  He said something like when the announcement is made you'll understand why I couldn't give you more information about it right now.  Maybe the drummer is still working with another band and they can't announce it quite yet.  In responding to another question, he said that a lot of people perceived Mike to be controlling because he is very outspoken, but that really was not the case.  He seemed really cautious on his MP and drummer questions.  He would pause and collect his thoughts before responding.  Gabe was talking to him a bit more and probably has some good stuff.

I asked him if he talks to Kevin Moore at all and asked if he reached out to him regarding the induction.  He said he hasn't talked to Kevin in a while, which he said is funny because they were great friends growing up.  He said Kevin called him "out of the blue" a few years ago when DT released a DVD that contained some old footage (probably WDAD Reunite)?  I also asked what he thinks of OSI.  He said he's not too up on OSI, but he did hear the first album and liked it.  I said they're currently working on OSI4 and he asked how many albums they'd released total.  I said three.  Then, he asked if it's the same lineup.  I said it's Jim, Kevin and Gavin.  He said, Gavin?  I said yes, Gavin did the last album because Mike and Kevin couldn't work together anymore.  He didn't realize Gavin was in OSI.

I was the only one decked out in DT gear, but it was good because the other DT fans would see me and it helped us find each other.  I think I freaked JP out slightly with fanboyness.  At one point, I thought he was gonna leave so I followed him out of the room and tapped him on the shoulder.  He turned around and saw me dressed like a DT mascot, lol.  I said, John you can't leave until I get a photo with you.  He was polite.  He spoke with everyone and posed for photos.  

I was disappointed that Myung didn't stick around for the afterparty and pose for some joint photos with Petrucci.  But it was late and he had to drive a few hours home apparently.  I enjoyed observing Myung.  He didn't really react to jokes or smile or anything.  He was stoic.  His wife saw me from the red carpet and she smiled at my DT gear.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 12:45:47 PM by Mebert78 »

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2010, 09:00:05 AM »
Thanks Mebert78 :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2010, 09:11:09 AM »
Awesome.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2010, 09:21:06 AM »
Kudos to Petrucci for knowing how to dress for something like this.  So many musicians would show up looking like they were ready to go to a party, wearing something ridiculous, but a suit and tie is the way to go. :tup :tup

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2010, 09:26:29 AM »
Kudos to Petrucci for knowing how to dress for something like this.  So many musicians would show up looking like they were ready to go to a party, wearing something ridiculous, but a suit and tie is the way to go. :tup :tup

Even Slipknot has gone to award ceremonies in tuxedos... they were still wearing the masks though, which may have diminished the effect.

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2010, 09:32:42 AM »
i have a pic of myself with Myung from 2000...

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2010, 09:41:42 AM »
Mike - thanks!

In regard to the MP/drummer-related stuff, interesting. One has to think, based on the way you explained it, that whoever they have decided on is in the midst of something and has to finish up/depart before committing to Dream Theater. I haven't been up on all the scuttlebutt regarding the potential drummer candidates (except for Lang and Divirgillio - bad spelling, I know), so we'll see.

I held out some hope it would be Zonder, but apparently he's just created a new prog metal band, so it isn't going to be him.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2010, 11:30:19 AM »
Lol... Mike - you left out the part where JP was starting to worry that you would begin investigating his tax records :P.

And two brief addendums to what Mebert said -

1) I think JP actually said we should expect "several" announcements in the near future.  He said he wished he could tell people now and he definitely seemed to perk up a little bit when talking about these mysterious announcements, which made me think that (A) there's gonna be some cool news, and (B) even JP himself is genuinely excited about whatever this news is.

2) The impression I got was that they still haven't made a final decision on the new drummer (as opposed to having made a decision but holding back on the announcement).  I overheard a bit of conversation between JP and Fingers that made it sound as if they were still in the "searching" phase.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #101 on: November 17, 2010, 12:02:57 PM »
If that's true then for some reason working with multiple drummers comes to mind. Otherwise if they had one it would just be 'we can't say anything yet,' no matter how excited they are about it. But where do 'several' announcements fit?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2010, 12:13:22 PM »
Eternal thanks to ZeppelinDT and Mebert78 for sharing the cool stories and pictures, I'm proud of our DTF delegates ;)
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #103 on: November 17, 2010, 12:40:35 PM »
Eternal thanks to ZeppelinDT and Mebert78 for sharing the cool stories and pictures, I'm proud of our DTF delegates ;)

:hefdaddy

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #104 on: November 17, 2010, 12:43:38 PM »
If that's true then for some reason working with multiple drummers comes to mind. Otherwise if they had one it would just be 'we can't say anything yet,' no matter how excited they are about it. But where do 'several' announcements fit?

Maybe the drummer, some gigs with him, JP's solo album...

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael