Author Topic: Dream Theater made a rock and roll hall of fame.  (Read 29517 times)

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater made a rock and roll hall of fame.
« Reply #105 on: November 17, 2010, 01:21:49 PM »
Thanks for posting the video, that was great!

All you guys who were lucky enough to be there, and even got to talk to John I am so jealous right now.  :smiley:

He looks happy, even JM smilled a bit. His speech was really nice.  :smiley:

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #106 on: November 17, 2010, 10:24:52 PM »
NICE!!!!

Thanks for the report guys.

That was a very special event to have witnessed.

I don't think who was or wasn't there should take anything away from it either.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2010, 10:39:15 PM »
That was really cool.  Both of them are so professional.  When people tell me that Dream Theater have no soul because they are a bunch of nice prog nerds, I acknowledge that with pride.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2010, 02:59:34 PM »
Here is an event recap of Dream Theater's portion of the Hall of Fame induction:

https://www.breakdownroom.net/dt-hof-11-16-10.html

Written by our own mebert78, for The Breakdown Room.

Thanks Mike! Great coverage.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline nikostheater

« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2010, 03:17:48 PM »
Thanks.Great coverage indeed.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2010, 03:19:04 PM »
I love how John Myung is introduced as "the quiet guy" :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2010, 03:28:12 PM »
What do you guys think about JP not mentioning MP? Would it have been appropriate? I mean he didn't mention the current members, never mind the former ones..and JR's from LI??
Thoughts?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2010, 03:36:33 PM »
What do you guys think about JP not mentioning MP? Would it have been appropriate? I mean he didn't mention the current members, never mind the former ones..and JR's from LI??
Thoughts?

Well he didn't mention anyone (current or former member) to not get in trouble!
now that i think about it, i would have done the same.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2010, 04:11:40 PM »
Thoughts?

I thought his speech was fine the way it was.  I don't think it would have been inappropriate for him to mention Mike, but I also don't think there's anything wrong with the fact that he didn't.  What would he have said anyway?

And yeah, JR wasn't born on LI, but he lived in Great Neck from the ages of 7 - 18, so he was essentially raised here.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2010, 07:58:44 PM »
Hey, guys.  I asked the Long Island Music Hall of Fame if they had any pics of Petrucci and Myung from the event.  They had posted pics of every other inductee, it seemed.  They responded and added some to their Facebook page.  Here are the two best ones:

An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2010, 08:00:35 PM »
Sweet pics. Thanks Mebert.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2010, 08:02:43 PM »
Nice article, Mebert!  :tup

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2010, 11:02:16 PM »
It really would have been awesome if Myung just would have stepped to the mic and said thank-you.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2010, 12:09:46 AM »
Awesome videos, stories, and pictures! Thanks guys :)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #119 on: November 19, 2010, 06:57:42 AM »
I didn't know JMX cut his side hair. He looks badass.  :metal

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: November 19, 2010, 08:04:51 AM »
It really would have been awesome if Myung just would have stepped to the mic and said thank-you.

Or just stepped to the mic and back again. Without a word. Just a suspicious look in his eyes.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2010, 08:12:27 AM »
lol

Speaking of JMX, do you guys think he is indimidated and shy, or just reserved?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2010, 08:36:53 AM »
lol

Speaking of JMX, do you guys think he is indimidated and shy, or just reserved?
I think he's just reserved and doesn't feel the need to say anything most of the time. I mean, he still does the occasional interview, and he's done instructional videos and such. He obviously enjoys playing up the fact that he's the quiet one, though.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2010, 08:40:43 AM »
I was watching him kind of closely at the event.  He really doesn't react to anything.  It's fascinating.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 08:24:25 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online PetFish

« Reply #124 on: November 22, 2010, 11:51:39 PM »
Why is he JMX anyway?  There's no X anywhere in his name so what's the point?  I've wondered this for quite some time now.  I can accept CJS but even that's a stretch.  Why can't he just be JM?  Why are the other guys not JRX or JPX or MPX?

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #125 on: November 23, 2010, 12:54:02 AM »
Because X's are bad ass, and John Myung is bad ass

Duh

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #126 on: November 23, 2010, 01:42:38 AM »
I've always used "JM" and I don't plan on changing that. *shrugs*
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #127 on: November 23, 2010, 02:07:25 AM »
Yeah, JMX just sounds badass. The other guys in the band are calling him that, so why not.  ;D

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #128 on: November 23, 2010, 07:06:36 AM »
If I remember right the band calls him "JMX" and they put that on his dressing room door if you look on some of the DVDs. They haven't told anybody the origin of it though.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #129 on: November 23, 2010, 12:51:37 PM »
Perhaps the "x" means "no speak," ala:

:-x
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: November 23, 2010, 04:37:17 PM »
I didn't know JMX cut his side hair. He looks badass.  :metal
I noticed that too. The only other guy in the industry that I saw pulling it off was Jason Newsted. And both of them look(ed) as tacky as you can get. Why do they do that?

Online PetFish

« Reply #131 on: November 23, 2010, 04:52:20 PM »
I'm with tri.ad.  Until I get a justification from a reliable source as to the reason for the X I'm sticking with JM.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #132 on: November 23, 2010, 05:13:13 PM »
You've already been told the reason, and if you personally want to refer to him as "JM" I don't think anybody really cares.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: August 11, 2011, 11:08:06 AM »
Just wanted to let everyone know that the Long Island Music Hall of Fame has secured a building that will eventually be open to the public.  So there will likely be some mention of Dream Theater there, since they were inducted in the fall.  No word on when it will officially open just yet.  Here is the story.

Link: https://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/li-music-hall-of-fame-moves-to-port-jeff-1.3090380

LI Music Hall of Fame moves to Port Jeff
Originally published: August 11, 2011 12:16 PM
By CARL MACGOWAN  carl.macgowan@newsday.com

After searching five years for a home, the Long Island Music Hall of Fame has a hall.

In a ceremony Thursday morning in Port Jefferson, Brookhaven Town officials turned over a town building at the corner of Main and East Main streets to Hall of Fame chairman James Faith.

"The great musicians of Long Island and the rich musical history of Long Island will finally have a home," said Faith, pumping his fist as he addressed a crowd that included inductees and local officials. "It's about time, Long Island. This is it."

The museum, whose inducted members include Billy Joel, Barbra Streisand, Twisted Sister and Zebra, has been looking for a building since naming its first members in 2006.

Faith said after the ceremony he didn't know when the museum will open.

Earlier this year, the museum arranged to lease the building from the town. The vacant building, the former First National Bank of Port Jefferson, needs extensive renovations. The oldest portions of the building date to 1900.

The ceremony was attended by several inductees, including Peppi Marchello and his brother, Mickey Marchello, of The Good Rats, Vincent Martell of Vanilla Fudge, and Carole Demas and Paula Janis, the stars of the 1970s children's TV show "The Magic Garden."

Demas and Janis sang their tune, "The Hello Song," to help christen the hall.

Janis, 71, noted that their show, which debuted on WPIX/Channel 11 in 1972 and aired for about 13 years, had premiered "a long, long time ago."

"You know how long ago it was when you're in a museum," Janis said.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: October 23, 2014, 08:18:24 AM »
Looks like the Long Island Music Hall of Fame, which Dream Theater was inducted into in 2010, is one step closer to having a physical home again.  Let's hope it happens this time.  Previous plans for a physical home in Port Jefferson, Long Island, fell apart a year or two ago. 

Long Island Music Hall of Fame to put museum in Wyandanch, sources say

Link: https://www.newsday.com/long-island/towns/long-island-music-hall-of-fame-to-put-museum-in-wyandanch-sources-say-1.9535402

Updated October 22, 2014 9:40 PM
By DENISE M. BONILLA  denise.bonilla@newsday.com

The Long Island Music Hall of Fame plans to set up its first permanent museum in Wyandanch as part of the Babylon Town hamlet's revitalization efforts, according to sources close to the hall and town.

The hall of fame and Suffolk County officials are to announce the development at Thursday's induction ceremony at the Paramount in Huntington, the sources said. Founded in 2004, the hall has been based in Port Jefferson but had not been able to find a permanent home for its archived collection of music memorabilia.

Jim Faith, the hall of fame's vice chairman, confirmed the group had decided on a location but declined to name it.

"We have a very exciting announcement about our new home planned for the gala," he said. A source close to the hall said plans and renderings for the new building are to be unveiled at the induction ceremony. The source noted that plans to change the name of the Wyandanch Long Island Rail Road stop to Wyandanch -- Long Island Music Hall of Fame also are underway. A sign for the new station name is expected to be unveiled Thursday.

Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone has long sought the hall for Wyandanch Rising, the massive public-private redevelopment that he spearheaded while town supervisor. County spokeswoman Vanessa Baird-Streeter declined to comment.

Babylon Town Deputy Supervisor Tony Martinez said there have been "really strong efforts from the town to bring the Long Island Music Hall of Fame to Wyandanch." He said a proposal had been made to house the hall in "Building C," which would be located near two mixed-use buildings under construction close to the LIRR station.

"Bellone has always had it in his mind to have a high-caliber organization anchoring" the building, Martinez said.

The two buildings' 177 apartments and 35,000 square feet of retail space are being constructed by Albanese Organization Inc., of Garden City. The company did not respond to requests for comment.

Tonight's ceremony will take place at 8:30 with Debbie Gibson, Clive Davis and Kurtis Blow among the inductees.