Author Topic: The Simpsons  (Read 57913 times)

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Simpsons
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2011, 11:56:19 PM »
Like most people, I definitely agree that there's been a significant decline in quality in recent years (although this season is the best they've had in a while). That being said, I still love the show. I've been watching it for...probably 13 years or so now and it will likely always remain as one of my favourite TV shows of all time.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2011, 04:30:13 AM »
Like most people, I definitely agree that there's been a significant decline in quality in recent years (although this season is the best they've had in a while). That being said, I still love the show. I've been watching it for...probably 13 years or so now and it will likely always remain as one of my favourite TV shows of all time.
All of this.

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2011, 11:57:16 PM »
Family Guy and The Simpsons are both garbage...

...now. :sadpanda:

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2011, 10:54:01 PM »
Family Guy and The Simpsons are both garbage...
*sniparoo*

...now. :sadpanda:
The Simpsons may be garbage now, but Family Guy? Don't you mean always?

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2011, 11:38:29 PM »
Not always, remember that one time when Family Guy was funny?

Yeah, me either.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2011, 01:09:34 AM »
Oh I remember the days when only South Park threads turned into FG hate heh
I'm a fan of both FG and The Simpsons, they're both funny.
I started checking out Futurama too, I don't think it's better than the Simpsons at all, but I'm still in season 1.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2011, 04:06:01 AM »
Started watching The Simpsons from the very beginning, and I'm talking Tracy Ullman Show beginning. I stopped watching it on a regular basis though like 9 years ago it seems, but I have seen and absolutely loved the movie

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2011, 09:41:02 AM »

Yeah, me either.

You just lost a ton of cool points

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2011, 09:54:04 AM »
Oh I remember the days when only South Park threads turned into FG hate heh
I'm a fan of both FG and The Simpsons, they're both funny.
I started checking out Futurama too, I don't think it's better than the Simpsons at all, but I'm still in season 1.
Futurama is pretty damned good I find. If I were to rank the famous cartoons:
The Simpsons
South Park/Futurama (can't decide really)

Family Guy

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2011, 03:23:33 PM »

Yeah, me either.

You just lost a ton of cool points

Oh come on, it was a joke. I thought Family Guy was awesome up till about maybe season 6 and then I saw those episodes too many times and then they started reusing their own jokes and it got old. But who cares? I can still do a good Cleveland impression so I don't have to explain myself to you. I'm my own man with my own cool points.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2011, 03:24:45 PM »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline SDFprowler

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2011, 03:10:57 AM »
I grew up watching the Simpsons, but when it got to around the 11th and 12th season it just started to suck so I stopped watching it.  When I say "I stopped watching it", I mean that I stopped watching anything post 12th season.  I still love seasons 1 - 12.  4 to 9 are pretty much the golden years where every episode is awesome and hilarious. 

Futurama is my favorite animated show, though.  It's kinda hard to say if it's better than the Simpsons since they're so different, but yeah.. Matt Groening and sci-fi go together perfectly.  It really sucks that Phil Hartman had to die; he was a legend - Matt Groening created Zap Brannigan specifically for Phil Hartman.  Billy West does an awesome job at the voice though of course.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2011, 06:03:56 PM »
Classic Simpsons episode for fox primetime tonight, I'm guessing as a tribute to Elizabeth Taylor.

These classic episodes are great.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2011, 09:18:26 PM »
Classic Simpsons episode for fox primetime tonight, I'm guessing as a tribute to Elizabeth Taylor.

Yeah, I caught some of it and I was wondering myself until I remembered about Elizabeth Taylor. If they're going to run repeats some week, I would much rather they play the old ones.

If I remember correctly, last week's new episode had a dedication to her before the end credits.
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2011, 09:27:27 PM »
My issue is, I like all the Simpsons. I never really know which ones I watch are "classic" but I enjoy nearly every one I watch. Hmm.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2011, 09:32:11 PM »
My issue is, I like all the Simpsons. I never really know which ones I watch are "classic" but I enjoy nearly every one I watch. Hmm.

Crappy old animation = classic. :P

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2011, 10:51:06 AM »

All are classics I guess.  :lol

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2011, 06:20:40 AM »
I'm almost done with season 6, it's been pure gold. Much like season 5.
"Hello, my name is Barney and I'm an alcoholic"
"Mr. Gumble this is a girl scout meeting.." :lol
That 6x18 was hilarious.

Offline JimmyJava

• Swear my skin is inside out
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2011, 06:32:27 AM »
Give those old David Mirkin/Oakley & Weinstein episodes any day of the week, the show's been sucky for 10 years now. I think Matt Groening said on an audio commentary for Season 8, that whenever he reads someone complaining on the show on the internet, he thinks of the voices of those computer nerds from Season 5 coming out of the little messages which automatically makes him go "So what?". If that's not a bad attitude, nothing is.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2011, 06:36:00 AM »
Well I've seen season 20 and up. I find them good. 22 being really great so I still don't understand what fans have been bitching about.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2011, 06:43:27 AM »
I dunno, maybe I'm spoiled by South Park, American Guy,  It's always sunny in phillidelphia, and Drawn  Together, but I don't find the Simpsons that great.  A bit too mild/lighthearted and serious.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2011, 07:02:24 AM »
If I were to rank all the similar cartoons in the vein of The Simpsons:

The Simpsons
American Dad (on par with The Simpsons IMHO)
Futurama

Family Guy

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2011, 07:05:33 AM »

The Simpsons
Futurama

Family Guy

It's good to see some lovin' for American Dad. It doesn't seem to get a lot of respect, but it's had a fairly consistent run, and it's a funny show without resorting to copying Family Guy. However, I do love Family Guy too, but it's been a lot less consistent than American Dad over the years.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2011, 07:08:04 AM »

The Simpsons
Futurama

Family Guy

It's good to see some lovin' for American Dad. It doesn't seem to get a lot of respect, but it's had a fairly consistent run, and it's a funny show without resorting to copying Family Guy. However, I do love Family Guy too, but it's been a lot less consistent than American Dad over the years.

I love American Guy.  Much more so than Family Dad.  Though FD's pretty funny, itself. 

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2011, 07:10:29 AM »
American Dad is like the "new" Simpsons. Classic Simpsons is great for the era they were golden in, but now they're stale. Luckily we have AD to be a bit more modern and fresh, while still having that same sort of Simpsons charm in its overall atmosphere (though I am not saying TS and AD are very much the same or even closely related, but I think we can agree they share a certain vibe).

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2011, 07:12:10 AM »
That guy Dan Castellaneta is really talented. It's funny the voice acting of almost all the characters in the Simpsons are done by like 3 guys and 2 women.
And they're pretty consistent too -considering the long run- as far as I've noticed, I can watch an episode from the newest season then go back to an episode of season 6 and the voices sound very much the same.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2011, 07:26:42 AM »
I want to order Season 5 of Futurama from the US and does not anyone know if VLC will play them ( and in colour ? ) I am pretty sure I have played US region dvd's on mac before and they have played properly...

But it appear to be the only way of seeing the most recent series since a UK release is not forthcoming :/

...Edit.... Oh it appears Sky1 have started showing season "7".. I imagine a DVD boxset will be out before too long. I'll wait :D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2011, 07:27:17 AM »
American Dad is like the "new" Simpsons. Classic Simpsons is great for the era they were golden in, but now they're stale. Luckily we have AD to be a bit more modern and fresh, while still having that same sort of Simpsons charm in its overall atmosphere (though I am not saying TS and AD are very much the same or even closely related, but I think we can agree they share a certain vibe).

I find that the modern shows are usually a lot funnier on first viewing, but they wear off more quickly (especially the ones like FG that often rely on shock value or randomness). Even though I know every line of The Simpsons before it happens, it's still funny, and doesn't get stale. And probably every line from those classic seasons is still well known (at least here, not sure how it is elsewhere).
But I still agree on the comparison. American Dad is a more cohesive show than Family Guy, and I think it holds up better over time.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2011, 07:29:59 AM »
Family Guy was way funnier in series 1 & 2 when it was new and had ideas. The cutaways and randomness seemed to be in keeping with the theme of the story and wasn't just shoehorned in for the sake of it like later series.

Nowadays it's just seems to be how a competition to see how offensive they can be and the cutaways are just boring.

Also the subtle and almost effortless humour seems to have gone.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2011, 07:35:03 AM »
I found season 1 was meh, and when they were still just copying The Simpsons. S2 was alright, and S3 was good, and the first half of season 4 would be my favourite (up until The Fat Guy Strangler). From there I've found they've sort of flip flopped between good and bad seasons.

The problem is that the characters are simply there to support the jokes, instead of the jokes forming organically from the characters like it did with The Simpsons, and that's why it doesn't hold up over time. But I don't even mind the shoehorned cutaways, when they're actually funny. It's the overly drawn out ones, and the pop culture references for the sake of references that lose me (yeah yeah, someone's going to say that's all of them :P).

I still enjoy new FG, despite it's problems.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2011, 07:38:43 AM »
The latest season of Family Guy was really good, a step in the right direction. So far there's only been two bad seasons of Family Guy. 1 to 5 was gold, 6 was a little less in quality but not yet enough to sense a decline, 7 was awful as was the first half of season 8 to be honest.
We're ruining Barto's thread!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2011, 03:48:52 PM »
"Uh...has anyone seen the movie Tron?"
"No."
"No."
"No"
"No"
"No"
"Yes...I mean, No. No."
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2011, 03:57:53 PM »
I'm a big Simpsons fan. Seasons 4-6 are the best, with 2-8 being the classic years. The show has been garbage since Season 12.

My favorite episodes:

Homer Badman
Marge vs. the Monorail
Cape Feare
Itchy and Scratchy Land
Homer the Great
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline jimbosile

« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2011, 06:58:04 AM »
"You're off the case McGarnagle"
"You're off your case."
"What does that mean exactly?"
"IT MEANS HE GETS RESULTS YOU STUPID CHIEF!"
"Dad, sitdown."

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2011, 09:36:04 AM »
:lol

"Hi Homer, Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkings"
"Homer Simpson, Smiling politely"