Author Topic: The Simpsons  (Read 57920 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
The Simpsons
« on: September 21, 2010, 11:52:24 AM »
As one or two of you might have noticed, I'm an old-skool Simpsons fan.  I started watching it right at the second season.  For many years, getting baked on a Sunday night and watching a new episode was something I genuinely looked forward to.  Back then, it really was the best show on television.  I don't think I've watched a first run episode in 3 years now.  I just don't find the show funny any more.  It seems like they have one or two episodes a year which really stand out, and the rest of them are just weak.  I recently started wondering why that is. 

It's certainly possible that all the good writers split and the show has just started to suck.  But then, it's also possible that the show hasn't changed at all, and I've just gotten used to all the jokes.  Maybe I'm just jaded because I remember how good it was back in the golden years.  Who knows?

What I'm wondering is how many people still watch the thing.  Does anybody still think it's funny?  Considering the ages of the show and the average DTFer,  it stands to reason that plenty of people didn't start watching it until well after the golden era ended, so do people who only started watching a few years ago find it funny?

How long have you watched it for and when was it funny?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
Re: The Simpsons
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 11:58:12 AM »
i used to watch it regardless of family guy, but now i just really gave up on it. family guy is not very funny anymore either, but it's still much better than the simpsons.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 12:00:14 PM »
Big fan here, I've always found it funny (in various degrees though).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 12:02:30 PM »
I remember watching it when it premiered, and thought it was hilarious.  I watched it religiously for years.  Towards the late 90s I watched it less, and now, it seems to have lost some of its charm, and I hardly watch at all.  There are some funny jokes and overall the humor is the same, but it's gotten too stream of consciousness, with episodes meandering for a half an hour.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 12:10:39 PM »
I first saw an episode when I was like 6, and I didn't get it at all. A few years later i grew to love it, but now I would rather flick channels than see what it has become. Maybe I'll get 1 laugh a season from the new shows, whereas the earlier seasons were laugh-a-minute. I feel the same way about South Park too, imo it began to go downhill after the film, but many people seem to love that show now, so maybe I'm just being cynical.

Can't blame Groening though, The Simpsons is a massive cash cow that he'll surely milk till it's dry. Luckily Curb Your Enthusiasm is still great though so I've got a comedy fix

Offline robwebster

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 12:14:51 PM »
I've watched it since about 1996, 1997 - I was quite young when I got into it, and BBC2 were a few series behind at the time anyway, so I was just in time for its apex.

I don't especially like what Al Jean's done with the show, but I do genuinely find it funny. It's a completely different kind of funny, though. I used to have my Sky+ set up to record any and all episodes of the Simpsons, and I also used to have a lot of insomnia. (Hence the post count!) So I'd quite often drag my duvet into the living room, curl up into a ball, put my laptop on the desk, and throw on some Simpsons. Was expecting to want to switch it off at some point. Never did.

I think the modern stuff is still often creative, often funny, and actually a fairly strong show. After the old ones had been repeated so much (and I'd originally seen them at an age where I only got about half of the jokes!), they were quite a good detox. They get a bad rap, and fairly, 'cause they do mute its legacy, a bit. But it's still a cracking bit of telly.

I think they've curtailed some of the old problems. They don't tend to use guest stars as gratutiously as they used to (although I still have no idea why you'd need to employ so many extra actors when you've got what is ostensibly the most talented voice cast in America at your fingertips), and they don't shoehorn the characters in quite as badly as they used to (although they still write a whole lot of jokes that don't make a lick of fucking sense - for such a big celebrity, Krusty is ALWAYS a few steps away from wherever the main characters are, and Homer never does a day's work any more) - I think they've got a lot better. There are some fairly sweet episodes. There was a nice one where the kids got Krabappel drunk, and Bart felt guilty. It's not a million miles away from the old stuff. More like a thousand. It's lost its voice to an extent, too, which is a shame, but it's still a good show. Moreso than it used to be in the early 2000s, I'd say. It absolutely is not on its way out, and long may it continue.

That said, the one thing that pisses me off is that the writers don't seem to think they need to write good dialogue. 'Cause it's a comedy show, they seem to think that they can just have the characters speak any exposition. Especially Marge, who I'm surprised doesn't have an even hoarser voice, given the amount of talking to herself and stating the obvious she gets up to.

Can't blame Groening though, The Simpsons is a massive cash cow that he'll surely milk till it's dry. Luckily Curb Your Enthusiasm is still great though so I've got a comedy fix
I think it's more Al Jean's baby, nowadays. Besides which, very few people cancel a show unless it's failing in the ratings, or they've run out of storylines (or fear it). Springfield's so big that there's an infinity of possible storylines, and it's still getting fairly strong ratings. And the reviews aren't bad, either! It's not generating award after award, and it doesn't deserve to, but it's definitely in a good place to survive.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 12:19:59 PM by robwebster »

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 12:16:31 PM »
Over the summer I decided I would educate myself on the show, so I watched the first eight seasons. Some parts were really funny, most of it was o.k.

I haven't watched many recent episodes, but what I have seen has been pretty boring.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 12:17:25 PM »
I still watch and find it amusing. Not a good as the old episodes, but I enjoy it.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 12:34:57 PM »
The old school Simpsons is my favorite show of all time.  I don't really like the newer episodes, but as long as some people do, more power to them for keeping it running for this long, it's just not my particular cup of tea anymore.

To address the actual matter at hand, I don't think it's a matter of seeing it in its Golden Age or getting used to the jokes, I do feel the quality of the writing has declined significantly over the years.  Watching the old seasons really hammers that idea home to me and makes me think "look at what we had, we took it for granted".  Season 7 is my particular favorite, I could watch each episode from that one a thousand times and never tire of it.  If I watched a newer episode more than once I would likely not enjoy it much at all, there is no subtlety in the humor anymore, at least for the most part.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 12:43:27 PM »
The old episodes were definitely better than the last few seasons...

The leprechaun told me to burn things.

Offline Vahvahenki

• I now pronounce you husband and five... eight
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 12:48:05 PM »
I really like the old episodes but I can't stand the newer ones, it's like they try to fit as many random jokes in one episode without a real story to back it up.

Kosmo

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 12:48:41 PM »
I'm a huge fan, seasons 3-10 or so are propably in my top 10 TV shows ever, if not in my top 5. I have watched the newer episodes aswell, being a fan and all. But it was the first episode of the 21:st season when i literally for the first time shut off the television because the episode was so dull.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 12:57:27 PM »
It used to be the best show on TV.  It peaked from seasons 3-8, and really started to decline around season 13 or 14.  The writing isn't as good.  It feels forced to include celebrities as themselves and the antics are more over the top.  It used to be guest stars were just voices of one-off characters central to one episode, now they all guest star as themselves.  Homer went from being stupid to over-the-top dumb.

It's like watching someone you love slowly waste away.  You love them and desperately want a miracle recovery, but at the same time you would just like to see their suffering come to an end.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 12:58:26 PM »
I love the Simpsons. I do think it's gone stale, but I think it happened later than most people do. Most people say it stayed strong till season 9 then just dived off the deep end. I'd say it was still very strong right up to season 13, and then 14-16 still had some strong episodes. But 17 and onwards has been pretty dire, from what I've seen.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 01:06:27 PM »
I did actually enjoy the simpsons movie though. I thought it was pretty funny.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 01:42:06 PM »
I did actually enjoy the simpsons movie though. I thought it was pretty funny.
This. I think it benefitted from having a longer run-time. Gave them time to set up the jokes, and do justice to all of the acts. I think part of the problem with modern Simpsons is that they're trying to fit too much stuff into half an hour, and don't always do any of it justice.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 01:45:24 PM »
I really like the old episodes but I can't stand the newer ones, it's like they try to fit as many random jokes in one episode without a real story to back it up.

AKA the MacFarlane method.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 02:02:15 PM »
Each episode usually has one or two funny lines, but really, it cannot compete on a scale of funny with other shows on TV.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 02:16:29 PM »
I still watch it.  I DVR it every sunday night.  It's slipped over the years but last year was a comback of sorts for me.  That season was well written.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 03:20:12 PM »
I enjoyed the move as well.
All I've seen of the series is season 19 on, I wanna see the old stuff though, would you say it's still relevant and funny for a new fan? and which seasons do you define as the golden era?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 03:24:28 PM »
All I've seen of the series is season 19 on, I wanna see the old stuff though, would you say it's still relevant and funny for a new fan? and which seasons do you define as the golden era?

If you like the new stuff, you'll like the old stuff. I would say seasons 3-11 were pretty golden.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 03:35:22 PM »
You also have to look at the times. Back then they used to smoke and make jokes you can't do on tv now. Like that one where it starts with Lisa watching a music video or some dance thing Homer walks in and says "Aw" then Lisa starts shaking her booty in a circle. Homer stops her looks at the TV and starts drooling over their dancing and you see a chick shaking her booty in his drool. Lisa asks for money Homer gives her some she says it's not enough and he gives her his wallet.

It's a great show with many episodes and i'm glad they started showing them again on Fox.

Family Guy on the other hand to me got old fast, but that's another topic
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 03:43:46 PM »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 03:50:06 PM »
Personally, I'd say the golden era really began with season 4, which kicked off with Kamp Krusty.  However, there were great episodes throughout 2 & 3.  My all time favorite episode was a second season show, and I think the 3rd season Treehouse was probably there best effort there. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 03:51:48 PM »
My favourite was probably either the Frank Grimes episode or the New York one.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 03:53:33 PM »
Frank Grimes might me the best episode ever. That one will never get old. Itchy and Scratchy land is up there too.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2010, 04:01:23 PM »
Mr. Plow is a homerun and I love Professor Frink.  "HOYVIN-GLAVIN!" and "FLAVIN" :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2010, 04:16:09 PM »
I've been a fan pretty much since birth. It is my favourite show ever, even my favourite article across every entertainment medium. I have seen every episode at least once, some 20+ times.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2010, 04:41:13 PM »
Mr. Plow is a homerun and I love Professor Frink.  "HOYVIN-GLAVIN!" and "FLAVIN" :metal

Call Mr. Plow, that's my name, that name again is Mr. plow.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2010, 05:15:37 PM »
There's a fella with the surname Plows on my floor. That's his actual, real life name.

It's brilliant. I've got an excuse to sing the Mr. Plow song every time I leave my room.

Back to the actual Simpsons, best characters are definitely the police force. Wiggum, Lou and Eddie. Especially Lou and Eddie, in fact. They're the highlight of every scene they're in.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2010, 05:36:32 PM »
There's a fella with the surname Plows on my floor. That's his actual, real life name.

It's brilliant. I've got an excuse to sing the Mr. Plow song every time I leave my room.

Back to the actual Simpsons, best characters are definitely the police force. Wiggum, Lou and Eddie. Especially Lou and Eddie, in fact. They're the highlight of every scene they're in.

The episod. Where Marge want to join the police force and she climb over the wall when all the guys use the door. Lawl

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2010, 07:06:50 PM »
The 3D episode, which was a Tree House of Terror, was a fantastic episode.

Apparently, cartoons do too suffer from the loss of characters. Killing that old doctor, the saxophonist, and Troy McClure damaged the show's essence, imo. (I understand they retired them because of Phil Hartman's death :( )

Also, in recent seasons they just deviated the characters too much. Killing Flanders wife? WTF! We all knew Smithers was in love with Mr. Burns, they should have kept it that way (that was the essence of Smithers, being the secret homo lover; that way it was really funny). Selma (or was it Patty?) becoming a lesbian? (they killed, figuratively, the twins hilarious duo FFS!!!). Lisa becoming a douchebag liberal and Buddhist (they developed that part of the character too late in the series, imo. Instead of staying the genius she was, she's now a cunt). I mean, almost every character has deviated too much from what they were (funny).

Edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 08:51:07 PM by emindead »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2010, 07:15:49 PM »
They killed Sheri and Terry?  And what, Smithers isn't a homo any more?
E.F. Benson

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2010, 07:52:15 PM »
My favorite episodes are (in no order except for the first one):

Bart Sells His Soul
$pringfield
You Only Move Twice (the Hank Scorpio episode)
Tomacco
A Star is Burns (The crossover episode with The Critic)
El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer

How sad is it that I didn't have to look up those episode names?

Do you know what the newer episodes need?  More Abe Simpson!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARXfQzfl9EQ

Kosmo

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2010, 10:49:06 PM »
My favourite episode of all time is Homer at the bat (I think that's the name..)
It's the one where the power plant joins a softball tournament but get replaced by major league players.  ;D