Author Topic: The Simpsons  (Read 57918 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Simpsons
« Reply #140 on: November 07, 2011, 06:53:08 PM »
I'm watching yesterday's episode in a few :)
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #141 on: November 07, 2011, 09:06:19 PM »
This is getting too negative...so um...Kent Brockman is a really funny character, and kind of underrated.
...And the fluffy kitten played with that ball of string all through the night. On a lighter note, A Kwik-E-Mart clerk was brutally murdered last night. :rollin
Season 11 is considered the worst by many fans
Really? It's my favourite.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #142 on: November 08, 2011, 02:04:15 AM »
Brockman: Professor, without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it's time for our viewers to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?
Professor: Yes I would, Kent.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #143 on: November 15, 2011, 10:56:51 PM »
I watched a handful of episodes from 2-8 this evening.  I hadn't really noticed it before,  but the amount of tasteful, stylistic bits of animation was sky high back then.  Watching 12+,  I never notice scenes where I think "hey,  that was nicely drawn."  Back in the cruder era,  it happened all the time.  Season two's Simpson and Delilah had a wonderful softness to the animation.  There was also a transition from Smithers walking across the checkerboard floor to a pan across the outside of the building that was a great homage to Citizen Kane.  A scene from an episode a few seasons later had Homer's car pulling into a driveway at night,  with the headlights shining perfect circles in a very film noire sort of style.  Aside from all of the references in the writing,  they were equally adept at capturing them visually. 

Back in the day,  artistic touches like that were a big part of what made the show great.  Now it's all pretty sterile with more of an eye towards realism, at least insofar as a cartoon can be realistic,  as opposed to creative.  I suppose it might be related to shipping everything off to Korea to be animated, rather than having it done closer to home,  where the writers can have a bit more control over such things.  I suppose if you're just packing the basic elements in a Fed-Ex package to ship off,  and receive a finished product a few weeks later,  trying to work out clever and subtle artistic touches isn't very practical.

A great example of losing this sort of touch is the final scene of Burns Verkaufen de Kraftwerk.  He speaks menacingly while plunging the letter opener as the Sword of Damocles into the stuffed pig as Homer squeals in excitement.  An absolutely perfectly drawn scene, with perfect timing.  I've watched 12-16 over the last month and a half,  and I haven't seen anything that was even a half-ass attempt at such cleverness.  It's not for a lack of writing,  though that's certainly a problem.  It's that creative animation and what we would call cinematography in the real world is a lost art to them nowadays. 

What a fucking shame. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #144 on: November 16, 2011, 12:58:41 AM »
Kinda surprised I never posted in this thread as The Simpsons is my favorite show of all time.

Seasons 1-12 are the best Seasons of any comedy ever made. I actually go to bed every night watching the Simpsons on DVD. and Seasons 1-12, I have the most trivia stuck in my head then anyone I know about The Simpsons.

13 on.....not so much. There are handfuls of episodes that are funny every 2-3 seasons after 13, but that's about it.

The newer seasons have had some real winners to it. And I still think it's the best show on Fox's Animation Domination 9American Dad, Bob's Burgers, Family Guy, The Cleveland Show, Greggory Peccary...I mean Allen Greggory in that order following it).

Radioactive Man
Kidney Trouble
Lisa On Ice
Homie The Clown
22 Short Films

Top 4 episodes ever!
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: November 16, 2011, 07:59:01 AM »
El Barto did you like anything about the HD transformation? Or were you indifferent about it?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #146 on: November 16, 2011, 08:27:23 AM »
I've probably only seen 2 or 3 of the HD episodes, honestly.  However,  as I just noticed,  I have no reason to think that it'll be an improvement.  The artistic animations left long before the HD transition.  The show, IMO,  looked a helluva lot better before it was all digital.

I'm wrapping up season 16 now (which as sucked pretty hard).  I've still got a month or two to go before I get to 20 where the switch was.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: November 16, 2011, 08:49:39 AM »
With all due respect sir it sounds like you're progressing with an unshakable believe that everything is going to suck, drop the attitude once the episode starts to give it a better chance! Maybe the HD is gonna add/compensate something to your overall satisfaction with the show.
It did little in my case. For FG that is, being the FG veteran that you are to the Simpsons, the visual experience improved at the time when my opinion was low on the show's plot and ideas. But I still miss the hand drawn animations from the earlier seasons.
Right now I'm almost done with season 10 of the Simpsons (I've been slow) and so far the ups and downs of this show has been consistent for me since the beginning. With my overall opinion of it being a brilliant conception executed by very creative people both in the writing room and voice acting. We'll see how it goes next :)
But I kinda stopped watching the current season as I'm watching the older ones. Switching between wide screen and full screen formats of the same show is not comfortable for me and I dunno why is that.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #148 on: November 16, 2011, 08:52:49 AM »
Maybe the HD is gonna add/compensate something to your overall satisfaction with the show.
Possibly,  but the few episodes I've seen have been entirely forgettable.  While they might actually get back to employing some creative animations,  I still expect the writing to be terrible.  I think once you get into season 14 or so,  you'll start to understand why. 
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #149 on: November 16, 2011, 09:00:30 AM »
El Barto, I'm completely with you.
The animation for the past decade or so has been so sterile and clean, and lacks any artistic style. Even just seeing them with pointy elbows is an instant warning to me that it's too recent for my liking. It looks wrong.

The old animation had it's little flaws, but it had style, and it was much more ambitious in the shots they did, and a lot more expressive in the body language. There was subtlety to the way the characters moved, with hand gestures and facial expressions. Now everything is so plain and uninteresting, and even a basic walk animation looks like they're being taken out of their comfort zone because they just can't draw it right anymore.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #150 on: November 16, 2011, 11:17:47 AM »
The animation was so much better in the early years. Just compare the original opening with the HD one. Things have become so stiff, bland, and sterile. I miss the weird off-model stuff they used to come up with.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #151 on: November 17, 2011, 08:11:49 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qtKtU_zcTGU

Seriously, this is my favorite Simpsons moment of ALL time! Every piece of dialogue is just brilliant in here! From the "Stupid Lisa" part to the fantastic scream in the end, it gets me every time! :lol
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: November 17, 2011, 08:13:29 AM »
"LE GRILLE? What the hell is that?!"  :lol

Yup, classic stuff.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #153 on: November 17, 2011, 08:16:19 AM »
"Ah, that's one fiiiiine looking grill. WHY DOESN'T MINE LOOK LIKE THAT?!?!"  :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #154 on: November 17, 2011, 11:49:16 AM »
Yeah that might be my favourite moment ever too. :rollin :rollin :rollin

Also, is it just me or are the "that's a paddlin" comments on The Simpsons vids really, really annoying.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #155 on: November 17, 2011, 02:15:29 PM »
Haven't read any posts on this thread, but I think the absolute best years of the show were seasons 6 - 11.

They need to stop now, though.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #156 on: November 17, 2011, 04:08:57 PM »
That BBQ scene is hilarious. Mom and Pop Art is one of the best Season 10 episodes. "Not the Reichstag!"
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #157 on: November 17, 2011, 04:20:32 PM »
Damn I was tired when I wrote that last post. How could have I forgotten my own avatar?

Hank Scorpio is the greatest villain ever created.

"Don't call my Scorpion, it's Scorpio. But I don't like that either. Call me Hank!"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: November 17, 2011, 05:15:41 PM »
Brockman: Professor, without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it's time for our viewers to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?
Professor: Yes I would, Kent.

This is seriously one of the funniest pieces of dialogues from the serious ever, just brilliant!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #159 on: November 17, 2011, 07:13:57 PM »
YOU'RE A BREAD COMPARTMENT!   :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #160 on: November 18, 2011, 01:21:40 AM »
This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Offline Snow_Dog

• Wave after wave
« Reply #161 on: November 19, 2011, 01:17:03 AM »
"UP AND AT EM!"

"up and at them"

"UP AND AT EM!"

"UP AND AT THEM"

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: November 19, 2011, 02:13:43 AM »
"Hi Super Nintendo Chalmers!"
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #163 on: November 19, 2011, 02:17:32 AM »
"UP AND AT EM!"

"up and at them"

"UP AND AT EM!"

"UP AND AT THEM"

.........Better.

There's a $1,000 Leaving Town Tax!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: November 19, 2011, 03:24:51 AM »
Season 10's Episode 18 Simpsons Bible Stories was hilarious. Laughed through out!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #165 on: November 19, 2011, 02:49:15 PM »
Bad quality but still funny as all hell!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqfOxm_1BE0

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #166 on: November 20, 2011, 08:22:40 AM »
"Hi Super Nintendo Chalmers!"
Love that one. :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: November 20, 2011, 09:48:12 AM »
Bad quality but still funny as all hell!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqfOxm_1BE0

related:

Laughing Time Is Over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekxn5KLv9XQ&feature=related

I think I'm going to spend my Sunday watching some classic Simpson episodes.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #168 on: December 06, 2011, 09:53:37 PM »

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: December 06, 2011, 10:19:42 PM »
I'm still at season 10, watching an episode every other day or whenever I can. I just checked and I'm only 2 episodes from the end of season 10, I need to start converting season 11.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #170 on: December 06, 2011, 10:34:37 PM »
I saw an awful newish episode yesterday where Homer destroyed some rock face tourist attraction, then people thought Mr Burns was dead, and then he bought every media outlet. Everything about this show in the past decade makes me groan. Their transparent attempts at satire, their ridiculous situations, the simple one directional plots that jump from place to place, and every character just making the same one dimensional joke. It was a Mr Burns episode, so every single joke for him was just "I'm old", and just cartoony stupid, instead of the old episodes where they'd make some ancient reference that wasn't so childish and basic.

And today I watched the Stampy episode on DVD. It's hard to even believe this is the same show. To me The Simpsons is two separate shows. There's the first decade of Simpsons, which is one of the greatest cartoons ever. Then there is everything after that, which is a separate and bad show.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #171 on: December 06, 2011, 10:41:54 PM »
I remember that episode. From memory, I really enjoyed it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #172 on: December 06, 2011, 11:12:04 PM »
I like really enjoy that episode too.

The Stampy one's great though. Has one of my favourite Homer moments. "Now I'll pull my arms out with my face!" :rollin :rollin

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #173 on: December 06, 2011, 11:48:18 PM »
"That wasn't part of our deal, Blackheart! THAT WASN'T PAAAAAART!"
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #174 on: December 07, 2011, 08:31:02 AM »
I saw an awful newish episode yesterday where Homer destroyed some rock face tourist attraction, then people thought Mr Burns was dead, and then he bought every media outlet. Everything about this show in the past decade makes me groan. Their transparent attempts at satire, their ridiculous situations, the simple one directional plots that jump from place to place, and every character just making the same one dimensional joke. It was a Mr Burns episode, so every single joke for him was just "I'm old", and just cartoony stupid, instead of the old episodes where they'd make some ancient reference that wasn't so childish and basic.

And today I watched the Stampy episode on DVD. It's hard to even believe this is the same show. To me The Simpsons is two separate shows. There's the first decade of Simpsons, which is one of the greatest cartoons ever. Then there is everything after that, which is a separate and bad show.
Sadly,  that was actually one of the better season 15 episodes (and 16 is worse).  Once you get past 12,  you're looking at 2 or 3 good episodes a season (and occasionally they might even qualify as great episodes). 
E.F. Benson