Author Topic: The Simpsons  (Read 58663 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The Simpsons
« Reply #245 on: April 30, 2012, 06:04:43 PM »
It was always the most likely scenario, since Groening is from Portland.  Not sure why he'd bother confirming it now, though.  It was more amusing as a long-running joke.  Trying to drum up some press, I suppose. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #246 on: April 30, 2012, 06:31:58 PM »
"You can't seriously want to ban alcohol! It tastes great, makes women appear more attractive, and makes one virtually invulnerable to criticism!"

:lol :rollin

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #247 on: April 30, 2012, 08:10:06 PM »
My all time favorite Simpsons moment (Although not the best quality)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rzbNqqaVd8
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #248 on: April 30, 2012, 08:11:51 PM »
I am studying plants in biology lab this week.... Every time I hear "Epidermis" I can't help but think of Nelson

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #249 on: April 30, 2012, 08:16:06 PM »
I am studying plants in biology lab this week.... Every time I hear "Epidermis" I can't help but think of Nelson

Now we know the real reason you fell.

"Hey Chino!  Your epidermis is showing!"

*Chino falls from balcony*

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #250 on: April 30, 2012, 08:21:27 PM »
You see, epidermis means your hair. Hold on a second, HAHA!
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #251 on: May 01, 2012, 12:41:29 AM »
It was always the most likely scenario, since Groening is from Portland.  Not sure why he'd bother confirming it now, though.  It was more amusing as a long-running joke.  Trying to drum up some press, I suppose. 

Seems kind of pointless to me at this stage. Does anybody eve care anymore? They intentionally contradicted it being in any specific location so many times that this seems to be trivial at best now.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: August 13, 2012, 09:17:47 AM »
^ I cannot be the only "relatively new" fan out there and those care.
Barto your PM inbox is full man!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #253 on: October 07, 2012, 06:54:09 PM »
Wow.  Treehouse of Horror really blew this year.  A laugh here and there, but overall all completely forgettable.  And is it me, or are the vignettes quite a bit shorter than they used to be?  Doesn't seem like any of them topped 5 minutes.  That'd make the show 50% commercials now. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #254 on: October 07, 2012, 08:03:58 PM »
Wow.  Treehouse of Horror really blew this year.  A laugh here and there, but overall all completely forgettable.  And is it me, or are the vignettes quite a bit shorter than they used to be?  Doesn't seem like any of them topped 5 minutes.  That'd make the show 50% commercials now.

I was afraid of the time issue after watching the one at 6, where Flanders kills all of Homers enemies it was really short.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #255 on: October 26, 2013, 05:53:26 PM »
'Simpsons' actress Marcia Wallace dies at 70

Adios Edna Krabappel. Probably watch a few Edna-centric episodes this evening. A couple of them made my top 20.

Interestingly, CNN reported that they were going to kill off a major character this year. I honestly did't care, since it won't be one of the Simpsons themselves. In retrospect, I suspect they were planning it to be Edna all along, since they were aware of the situation with Marcia Wallace's health. Hopefully they'd already produced the relevant episode, so as to giver her a proper send off.
E.F. Benson

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #256 on: October 26, 2013, 05:57:24 PM »
They said it wasn't Edna they were going to kill off.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #257 on: October 26, 2013, 06:12:30 PM »
They said it wasn't Edna they were going to kill off.
Really. Huh. Did they say this in response to MW's death, or were they dropping hints beforehand?
E.F. Benson

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #258 on: October 26, 2013, 06:15:28 PM »
'Statement from executive producer Al Jean, on behalf of The Simpsons:

I was tremendously saddened to learn this morning of the passing of the brilliant and gracious Marcia Wallace. She was beloved by all at "The Simpsons" and we intend to retire her irreplaceable character.

Earlier we had discussed a potential storyline in which a character passed away. This was not Marcia's Edna Krabappel. Marcia's passing is unrelated and again, a terrible loss for all who had the pleasure of knowing her.'
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #259 on: October 26, 2013, 07:47:35 PM »
Its going to be interesting how they're going to find a replacement teacher...its actually a fresh idea for The Simpsons.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #260 on: October 26, 2013, 07:51:13 PM »
Ironically, losing a character this way will actually get them a much bigger ratings boost than had they gone ahead and just whacked somebody for the sake of doing it. I wouldn't have bothered watching another "Ned's wife gets killed" episode, but I might actually tune in to the first non-Edna episode.
E.F. Benson

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #261 on: October 27, 2013, 02:34:11 AM »
Aww, sad to hear that...

There'll actually be 5 Simpsons reruns in a row today on Finnish TV, so maybe I'll see an episode with Edna in it.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #262 on: October 27, 2013, 09:42:27 AM »
I wonder how they are going to deal with Ned losing his second wife now.  Edna was so ingrained, I don't think you can just stop writing her into scripts like they did with Phil Hartman's characters.  Damn I miss Lionel Hutz.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #263 on: October 27, 2013, 09:59:14 AM »
I didn't know she and Flanders were married. As for writing out her character, I say you kill Krabappel off in spectacular fashion; particularly since Marcia Wallace would have dug such an exit.  She died. She have heart attack and fell out of window onto exploding bomb, and was killed in a shooting accident.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: May 14, 2015, 01:49:10 AM »
They've lost voice actors over the years, but main cast aside, this is the one guy the show cannot do without. Continuing without him will make the show even more of a shadow of its former self than it has been for the past 15 years.

How can you even make an episode without these characters? Will they just have them silently appear in the background but say nothing? Will they kill some characters off? Will they replace the characters with new ones? They'd have to. There's no good solution here other than finally admitting it's old yeller time.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #267 on: May 14, 2015, 02:17:31 AM »
Either that or they get in good impressionists to voice the most important characters that Shearer voices.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #268 on: May 14, 2015, 03:49:27 AM »
The series has been renewed for at least two more seasons, but I can't see the point in going on if so many key characters either disappear or get new voices. :-\ At this point I wouldn't be sad if the show ended, because only a handful of episodes in the latest season were better than merely alright IMO.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: May 14, 2015, 04:22:03 AM »
I wouldn't be sad if the show ended. I'm more sad that it's still going. :biggrin:

They could recast the voice actors, but those characters are so well known after 25 years that I don't think they could get away with it without it being very noticeable.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: May 14, 2015, 04:55:45 AM »
They could either feature them less or after 25 years or so - they might re use old lines. I'm sure they probably have enough to work with if that happens.

But yeah if Shearer leaves then no more Otto, Mr Burns, Lenny, Dr. Hibbert, Kent Brockman, Ned Flanders, Whelan Smithers, Principal Skinner.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: May 14, 2015, 05:06:00 AM »
They'll probably replace Mr Burns and Smithers with Rich Texan and business lady, have Gill take over driving the school bus, have Dr Nick become the main doctor, replace Skinner with Supernintendo Chalmers, and replace the Flanders with some desperately trying to be relevant unconventional family with three mummies and an adopted Ethiopian kid and they'll be Satanists.

I say this all jokingly, but I'm sure at least one of them will come true.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: May 14, 2015, 05:47:43 AM »
I saw a new episode of the show recently and it was just awful. Like you said before - jokes that they setup and payoff in the same scene and are cringe worthily obvious.

Like Lisa saying "this wall is insured against car crash" or something - then a car immediately crashes into it.

Plus it's horribly self aware and referential. It's not a funny sitcom anymore. It's a TV show that knows it's a TV show and all the characters are just going through the motions.

Bart misbehaves ! Lisa is smart and an activist ! Homer gets drunk / says something stupid ! Marge  disapproves !

It's so bad. I hate Family Guy but I'd rather watch that than current Simpsons.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #273 on: May 14, 2015, 05:52:53 AM »
Like Lisa saying "this wall is insured against car crash" or something - then a car immediately crashes into it.

Yeah, I think this kind of humor became really prominent around season 18 or 19 and I didn't like it at all. I haven't been following them over the last couple of years, there are probably three seasons that I missed. Honestly, it always felt like they would end the show once one of the main voice actors either died or decided they've had enough. We can only wonder if the situation would be any different if it was Dan Castelaneta who decided to leave the show.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #274 on: May 14, 2015, 09:08:37 AM »
For some reason, my 2 year old LOVES The Simpsons, they're currently airing season 4 on TV at the moment, which must be like, the 100th time they've shown it.  She's only ever been into watching Frozen, so I'm a very happy man atm.  Classic Simpsons is pretty much unbeatable, and they've been played on TV for so long that I find myself quoting at least 3-4 classic lines in each episode. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #275 on: May 14, 2015, 09:18:41 AM »
If I'm Hank Azaria or Dan Castelleneta I have no desire to do the show anymore. I always figured that if any of the main cast split that'd probably be the end of it. Christ, it's not like any of them need the money.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: May 14, 2015, 09:20:40 AM »
They probably never need to work again just on the re-runs.

It get shown repeatedly all over the world PLUS Harry Shearer must have 10 voices per episode so he's set for life.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: May 14, 2015, 09:24:04 AM »
If I'm Hank Azaria or Dan Castelleneta I have no desire to do the show anymore. I always figured that if any of the main cast split that'd probably be the end of it. Christ, it's not like any of them need the money.

That main cast is set for life. But it's easy reliable money that they're never going to get anywhere else, so why not keep taking the paycheck? Obviously they're not in it for artistic reasons at this point, it's just a cushy job. If I ever had a sweet gig like that, I'd be clinging on to it forever. :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: May 14, 2015, 09:26:59 AM »
Well Harry has been talking about leaving for years. I'd imagine it would get a bit boring after a while. Plus as an actor - you'd wanna do different things.

He's in his 60s and yes - pretty much set for life - so why not use your time to do what you really want to do ?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: May 14, 2015, 09:29:54 AM »
I hope the day comes where I can get bored of $300k an episode. :lol