Author Topic: The Simpsons  (Read 58191 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: The Simpsons
« Reply #210 on: December 17, 2011, 09:04:09 PM »
Fat Tony: "Now, who wants to sleep with fish?"
Children: *gasp*
Fat Tony: "I brought the Finding Nemo towel."

Reminds me of a classic Simpsons line from one of my favourite episodes-

One of Fat Tony's henchmen - Hey, isn't that Troy Mcclure? I thought you said he was dead.
Fat Tony - No, what I said was he sleeps with the fishes.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #211 on: December 18, 2011, 12:43:25 AM »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: December 18, 2011, 01:00:55 AM »
    Homer: Eh, I'm sick of this Tarzan movie.
    Lisa: Dad, it's a documentary on the homeless.
    Homer: Oh, right.

Grandpa: Buck McCoy!? He was the greatest of them all. He was bigger than opium!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #213 on: December 25, 2011, 08:30:50 PM »
SAY YOUR PRAYERS, YOU HEATHEN BABOONS!!!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #214 on: December 26, 2011, 11:11:42 AM »
He had smooth calm voice, like urkel. And he comes on every Friday night, like urkel.
Right, right. I'll just type it up on my invisible typewriter

I burned down a building and I'm afraid I'll do it again
Right, right. I'll just type it up on my invisible typewriter. Do di do fruitcake
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #215 on: December 26, 2011, 07:44:50 PM »
One funny scene pops into my mind. Bart vs. Lisa (the Hockey episode). The kids are wrestling in the bedroom and Homer is switching the lights on and off while shouting: FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
Homer is amazing in that episode. :lol

Eye of the tiger, mouth of a teamster! Just think of all the time I wasted on YOU!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: December 29, 2011, 02:20:21 AM »
Ugh, just saw another awful recent episode. Homer was a a paparazzi, and the entire episode was so painfully predictable to the point where you can tell exactly how the entire scene will play it.

There was a part where Homer said he didn't like getting a taste of his own medicine. Then he threw out his camera. The entire rest of the scene played out so predictably. You knew he was going to have actual medicine and throw that out too. And of course he did. He said it was anti-clotting medicine. No surprise exactly what happened 2 seconds later. He got a clot. FUCKING HILARIOUS. Typically rudimentary and unfunny shit.
Then later on he takes Moe's camera. Moe says he got the camera to take photos of women in the ladies room, but none ever came in. Gee, I can't tell exactly how this scene is going to play out. Homer leaves, and two seconds later some hot chicks walk in and ask to use the ladies room. ANOTHER CLEVER SLAM DUNK GUYS.

I don't know how they can stand to churn out such embarrassing garbage week after week. Oh right, money. I can't believe anyone gets paid to write this crap.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #217 on: December 29, 2011, 09:45:07 AM »
Anybody see the recent Christmas episode? I really liked that one.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #218 on: December 29, 2011, 11:36:35 AM »
Fat Tony: "Now, who wants to sleep with fish?"
Children: *gasp*
Fat Tony: "I brought the Finding Nemo towel."

Reminds me of a classic Simpsons line from one of my favourite episodes-

One of Fat Tony's henchmen - Hey, isn't that Troy Mcclure? I thought you said he was dead.
Fat Tony - No, what I said was he sleeps with the fishes.
One of my very favorite lines ever,  and in one of my very favorite episodes.  A Fish Called Selma is one of the five best they ever did.  Everything that made classic episodes great was really nailed in that one. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #219 on: December 29, 2011, 04:06:12 PM »
The Dr. Zaius song is a top 5 Simpsons scene.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: January 08, 2012, 06:45:10 PM »
Just watched the new episode live. It was hilarious!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #221 on: January 08, 2012, 07:26:36 PM »
Ugh, just saw another awful recent episode. Homer was a a paparazzi, and the entire episode was so painfully predictable to the point where you can tell exactly how the entire scene will play it.

There was a part where Homer said he didn't like getting a taste of his own medicine. Then he threw out his camera. The entire rest of the scene played out so predictably. You knew he was going to have actual medicine and throw that out too. And of course he did. He said it was anti-clotting medicine. No surprise exactly what happened 2 seconds later. He got a clot. FUCKING HILARIOUS. Typically rudimentary and unfunny shit.
Then later on he takes Moe's camera. Moe says he got the camera to take photos of women in the ladies room, but none ever came in. Gee, I can't tell exactly how this scene is going to play out. Homer leaves, and two seconds later some hot chicks walk in and ask to use the ladies room. ANOTHER CLEVER SLAM DUNK GUYS.

I don't know how they can stand to churn out such embarrassing garbage week after week. Oh right, money. I can't believe anyone gets paid to write this crap.
I'm more astonished that they can't get better writers.

It's the biggest and most important animated TV show of - well, probably out of every TV show that ever broadcast ever. They should have the great and good knocking on their doors at all hours of the day, begging to be a part of that legacy, to have a go with those toys. There is no excuse for a show as prestigious as the Simpsons to have dialogue as terrible as it does. The characters just announce their feelings. Constantly. Marge, in particular, is basically a walking soliloquy. It's a mess of "It was such a good idea to come to this ball game," "I wonder what would happen if I were to press this button here," "Here we are, celebrating Lisa's good grades," "I never thought I'd wind up at a private dental clinic" and so on.

Frankly, though, as long as Al Jean's in the hotseat I can't see a morsel of change in the show's future. Note that in the good years, the showrunner changed every two series or so. It was healthy. Each showrunner had something to prove, something to add, something to bring to the table. Now it's just quietly stagnating. Have the writers changed at all since the early 2000s? I've always had a hunch Jean probably just relies on his old mates, but I've not checked. I get the impression it's pretty much nine-to-five, nowadays - just the day job. A reliable income, keeps the pennies flowing for everyone involved. Shame!

(NB: I am aware that it's kind of rich of me to criticise the Simpsons' writing, given that this post reads like a pile of arse. But hey - I'm very tired and I've been working very hard. Forgive me for not really having the energy at 2:30AM.)

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #222 on: January 08, 2012, 10:09:55 PM »
Al Jean seems to find it hilarious when characters state obvious things, or list a bunch of stuff, even though those jokes fall flat with most viewers. The fact that Jean has been showrunner for 11 years is ridiculous. What I don't understand is how he was co-showrunner with Mike Reiss for two of the best seasons, 3 and 4, but now I just can't stand his style of humor.

Here's a list of writers and directors from Seasons 1-22. https://www.snpp.com/guides/writers.directors.html
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #223 on: January 08, 2012, 10:23:17 PM »
A Fish Called Selma is a top 5 episode,  easily.  Just about flawless.

You said he was dead! 
No, what I said was he sleeps with the fishes.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: January 08, 2012, 11:31:55 PM »
I'm more astonished that they can't get better writers.

It's the biggest and most important animated TV show of - well, probably out of every TV show that ever broadcast ever. They should have the great and good knocking on their doors at all hours of the day, begging to be a part of that legacy, to have a go with those toys. There is no excuse for a show as prestigious as the Simpsons to have dialogue as terrible as it does. The characters just announce their feelings. Constantly. Marge, in particular, is basically a walking soliloquy. It's a mess of "It was such a good idea to come to this ball game," "I wonder what would happen if I were to press this button here," "Here we are, celebrating Lisa's good grades," "I never thought I'd wind up at a private dental clinic" and so on.

Frankly, though, as long as Al Jean's in the hotseat I can't see a morsel of change in the show's future. Note that in the good years, the showrunner changed every two series or so. It was healthy. Each showrunner had something to prove, something to add, something to bring to the table. Now it's just quietly stagnating. Have the writers changed at all since the early 2000s? I've always had a hunch Jean probably just relies on his old mates, but I've not checked. I get the impression it's pretty much nine-to-five, nowadays - just the day job. A reliable income, keeps the pennies flowing for everyone involved. Shame!

(NB: I am aware that it's kind of rich of me to criticise the Simpsons' writing, given that this post reads like a pile of arse. But hey - I'm very tired and I've been working very hard. Forgive me for not really having the energy at 2:30AM.)

You're completely right (well except for the part about your post sucking). Considering that the Simpsons has been going over 20 years, I'd say that pretty much every writer of every other cartoon comedy on television grew up inspired by the classic Simpsons era. It paved the way for all of these shows that are now miles better than what Simpsons has become. The Simpsons would have no problem at all finding great writers, if they actually realized there was a problem in the writing and tried to remedy it. But they're content to just coast on their past success. As long as people keep watching it, they're going to keep churning it out.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #225 on: January 09, 2012, 04:50:56 AM »
I CAN SIIIIIIING

I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #226 on: January 09, 2012, 05:14:28 AM »
Al Jean seems to find it hilarious when characters state obvious things, or list a bunch of stuff, even though those jokes fall flat with most viewers. The fact that Jean has been showrunner for 11 years is ridiculous. What I don't understand is how he was co-showrunner with Mike Reiss for two of the best seasons, 3 and 4, but now I just can't stand his style of humor.

Here's a list of writers and directors from Seasons 1-22. https://www.snpp.com/guides/writers.directors.html
Read it once through - not in great detail, but a fair scan from the bottom up to season nine - and it does seem to be a lot of the same characters. Seth Rogen and Ricky Gervais stood out. I saw Ricky Gervais' episode and it was dreadful (though he did play his own character, basically as himself, so you know, who's surprised?) but I was unaware Seth Rogen did anything. Are they the only two well-known guest writers Jean's enlisted? If so, it's interesting that they're both celebrities, rather than your Aaron Sorkins or your Edgar Wrights. Not that I'm suggesting Aaron Sorkin should write for the Simpsons. That'd be seven shades of mental. Although I don't know much of his stuff, so maybe he'd be great! Do they have any promising upstarts, or even established comedy writers - writers for The Office and 30 Rock etc.? 'Cos right now I can only see the same approach they have to casting. "Regulars and celebrities." But then the celebrities are naturally conspicuous, I guess.

You're completely right (well except for the part about your post sucking). Considering that the Simpsons has been going over 20 years, I'd say that pretty much every writer of every other cartoon comedy on television grew up inspired by the classic Simpsons era. It paved the way for all of these shows that are now miles better than what Simpsons has become. The Simpsons would have no problem at all finding great writers, if they actually realized there was a problem in the writing and tried to remedy it. But they're content to just coast on their past success. As long as people keep watching it, they're going to keep churning it out.
Yes, that's very much the sense I get. There must be tonnes of screenwriters out there who are itching to type "INT. MR. BURNS' OFFICE - DAY." Proper, good screenwriters, who can do jokes and dialogue. I'm utterly stunned that the show's not found any.

There is no excuse, whatsoever, for a show with the history and prestige of Simpsons to have so many poor lines of dialogue survive past the first draft. Part of me wonders if Jean might have a hand in it - mainly 'cos the alternative explanation would be that all the other writers have identical horrendous tics, which seems ridiculous. Makes more sense if it's just one person. But I'm not in a hurry to turn anyone into a bogeyman. Just to express constant, crushing disappointment.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: January 10, 2012, 09:23:52 AM »
I watched my first Simpsons in years a few weeks ago, just to see Neil Gaiman's appearance.  Not bad, although the Ocean's 11 parody elements seemed a bit dated.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: January 10, 2012, 01:03:59 PM »
I'm gonna give up on anyone discussing the latest episodes as they air which one would think is one of the primary reasons we have this thread :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #229 on: January 10, 2012, 01:15:35 PM »
I think you might be the only person who still watches the show, because the ratings have been pretty bad. ;)
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: January 10, 2012, 02:04:33 PM »
Big D'Oh there :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: January 11, 2012, 03:47:54 AM »
Watched some really really old Simpsons the other day . It was just so funny.

The difference was staggering.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #232 on: January 12, 2012, 03:12:55 PM »
Nah, thanks to the wonders of DVR I still watch every episode as well.  Not the best, but I can't imagine choosing not to watch.  It's been a part of me for over 20 years.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: January 13, 2012, 07:08:38 AM »
I watch it if it's on tv. But new episodes are pretty much an A story - clumsy transitional scene - B story - which has almost no relation to A story. And If you happen to miss that transitional scene - you have absolutely no idea what's going on.

Not like classic Simpsons where the start of the episode would naturally and gradually plot the course of the episode.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: February 10, 2012, 12:51:56 AM »
Screw the ratings this season has been funny, silly funny. I'm with Kotowboy about the flaws in the episode structure but there are still a lot of good jokes here and there.
Finished season 10, Marge to Florida Sheriff: "I like what you're wearing, it really brings out the red in your neck" :lol

Offline JimmyJava

• Swear my skin is inside out
« Reply #235 on: February 10, 2012, 06:50:41 AM »
Kang: Abortions for all.
(crowd boos)
Kang: Very well, no abortions for anyone.
(crowd boos)
Kang: Hmm... Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others.
(crowd cheers)

:lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #236 on: February 10, 2012, 08:27:46 AM »
Screw the ratings this season has been funny, silly funny. I'm with Kotowboy about the flaws in the episode structure but there are still a lot of good jokes here and there.
Finished season 10, Marge to Florida Sheriff: "I like what you're wearing, it really brings out the red in your neck" :lol
I think all of the seasons had plenty of decent jokes in them.  The problem is when you have a 24 minute episode with 4 good jokes and little else.  In the old days,  aside from having more jokes,  you had a much more complete picture.  You had good stories, good animation,  good casts, and much more humor.  Even episodes that weren't wall to wall laughter still had a ton of redeeming qualities. 

Season ten is pretty much the beginning of the end.  Half of the episodes are good, occasionally great,  character driven stories,  and half of them are just strings of madcap antics.  Sadly,  that ratio will continue to get worse.
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: March 15, 2012, 09:44:38 AM »
Barto did you see the 500th episode a couple of weeks ago? It was pretty cool, they had a montage of every couch gag in a quick flash at the beginning.
Sometimes the silliest stuff makes me laugh so much, yesterday I saw the S12EP11 where Bart had 50$ and went on a spending spree with Milhouse who's idea of a crazy adventure was going to the laundry place and washing his shirt and shorts in the washing machine himself. "My mom doesn't believe in fabric softener.." then he takes out a bottle of fabric softener and waves it menacingly going "But she's not around!" and laugh diabolically. I kid you not I laughed at that for so long I had to rewind cause I missed what they were saying in the next scene.
Another one from the last season -last in my viewing, which makes that S11- that had me rolling was this exchange which I luckily found on youtube to share Oh yeah? comere a minute.
I've been annoying my wife with that line so much :lol
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:52:42 AM by Progmetty »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #238 on: March 15, 2012, 10:03:31 AM »
Haven't seen any recent episodes since the last season premier (and strangely saw that one twice???).

Worst Episode Ever is actually pretty good.  Tom Sevini's hand giving CBG the wedgie was great, as was the selection in his secret vault. 

Season 12 was highly hit and miss. The good episodes were great (and includes what I consider their best episode ever), and the bad ones were really awful.  Up until 12, the episodes that weren't particularly good weren't particularly bad, either.  With 12 they started producing some genuinely bad ones. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: March 15, 2012, 10:10:17 AM »
I'm starting to see what you've been telling me about with season 12.
It's safe to say that my favorite secondary characters are Barney, Milhouse and Nelson yet I can count the episodes where they've been heavily involved on one hand. I hope to see more of them later.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #240 on: March 15, 2012, 11:15:57 AM »
Barney pretty much disappears altogether once they sober him up.  Nelson's great as a secondary character, but there are plenty of episodes where he's the primary character and those are generally lacking.  The backstory with his old man is priceless, though. 

Fortunately, both seasons 12 and 13 have a handful of excellent episodes mixed in with the crap.  After that they get very sparse.  It appears that 17-3 is as far as I could make it on my attempt to rewatch the latter episodes.  I saw seasons 18/19 when they first aired, but that's it.  Season 20 is when I stopped watching altogether. 
E.F. Benson

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #241 on: March 27, 2012, 09:29:27 PM »
Season 17 may not be all that great (well according to most, I like), but "Stupid horse! It's a deer crossing!" might be my favourite line in Simpsons history. :rollin :rollin

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: March 27, 2012, 11:59:29 PM »
Godzilla was on TV a couple of days ago and my wife was watching it. That 98 Godzilla movie is special to me for a bunch of reasons that doesn't include it being a good movie. So I've seen it several times long time ago but that was the first I've seen it after I became a Simpsons fan.
So we're watching and I notice Harry Shearer with his distinguishable voice playing that news anchor and I start paying more attention as I'm a fan of voice actors and Shearer is one of my favorites, next thing I know I see Hank Azaria is playing the camera man in the movie and I'm thinking "That's very cool!" and smiling at the irony of how these two actors were virtually unknown to me, nothing more than forgettable minor roles actors you see every now and then but never try to find out their names but now I'm gonna stay put and finish the movie just to see them acting and hear involuntary hints of The Simpsons characters voices, which is something I always detect with animated voice actors in live action roles or interviews.
I kept watching, thinking of the nice coincidence of these two guys in the same movie together and then this scene comes on and I "Whoa!" loudly upon seeing Nancy Cartwright playing the secretary :lol. This must have been a coordinated joke of some sorts but there's no mention of it almost anywhere, I was really glad to find that youtube video of the scene to share it here. Bart and Smithers if you close your eyes and just listen  :biggrin:

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: March 29, 2012, 05:41:50 PM »
Speak of the devil! Harry Shearer made a guest appearance the other day on Conan. For those who're not familiar with the Conan show: every Monday there's a segment called Fan Corrections where fans make youtube videos of themselves pointing out a mistake they spotted on the show, the mistake can be anything from a historical mistake in the show sketches to a wrong naming of football mascots but most likely something inaccurate Conan said in the monologue or interview. Conan always proves the fans wrong but making a twisted sketch that proves the opposite of whatever they said.
So check out this week's Fan Correction segment which called for Conan to bring Harry Shearer on.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: April 30, 2012, 05:32:59 PM »
Barto have you read this news?
Did you imagine it to be Oregon? I kinda thought it was Chicago.
Another source.