Author Topic: Rush Clockwork Angels Tour Speculation - All of PWaves?  (Read 5425 times)

Offline ShadowWalker

Rush Clockwork Angels Tour Speculation - All of PWaves?
« on: September 20, 2010, 01:49:44 PM »
As I was at the Rush show this weekend and thinking about how in that interveiw, Alex (I think) said Jacob's Ladder was going to be in the setlist, this thought came to mind - could the band do all of Permanent Waves on the next tour?

I am going to guess that Moving Pictures will not be played in its entirety next year when they properly tour for Clockwork Angels. Do you think they could swap MP for Permanent Waves? Think about it, most of that disc has been recently played anyway, especailly with Entre Nous showing up on the S&A tour. Jacob's Ladder and Different Strings are the only thing left out, much the same way The Camera Eye has been absent for a long while. Plus, PW already includes a number of songs that are/have been in regular rotation (Spirit of Radio / Free Will / Natural Science) and the album itself is short enough that it won't take up too much set time.

What do you think?

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
Re: Rush Clockwork Angels Tour Speculation - All of PWaves?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 01:53:20 PM »
I wish they (and all bands as well) would do what Coheed and Cambria did on one of the recent tours.  They would play an entire album at a different city and release the shows as a DVD in one giant box set.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 02:01:24 PM »
Well with Coheed it really made sense because their albums are all part of a huge nerdy sci-fi epic.  I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Rush play either of the albums with the PW acronym, since those are the most "classic" albums that Geddy could still sing.  Or if they had some kind of Rush Weekend (maybe expand RushCon?) and play two nights in a row, with a classic album the first night, a la Marillion Weekend.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 02:18:14 PM »
Honestly it's not that big a deal for them to do that entire album just like it wasn't a big deal that they did all of Moving Pictures. They could have simply announced that they were playing The Camera Eye and Vital Signs and I would have been just as happy as all the other songs I've seen before and will probably see again.

In the same vein all I care about on PW is seeing Different Strings and Jacob's Ladder and I couldn't care less if they didn't play anything else off the album.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 02:22:58 PM »
I doubt they'll play another album in its entirety anytime soon.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 02:35:09 PM »
Again, the only problem I have with this is that half the songs are regulars on their tour anyway. They'd only be adding Different Strings, Entre Nous and Jacobs Ladder. That was my problem with Moving Pictures; they could have swapped some of the regulars for more rarely played songs.

I'd much rather hear an entire album of which the songs weren't regularly played, like Signals, Power Windows, or even Roll The Bones

Offline Vahvahenki

• I now pronounce you husband and five... eight
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 03:24:30 PM »
I'd love that just for the sake of hearing Different Strings and Jacob's Ladder. I'd have no problem with it but I wouldn't care if they decided not to.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 03:29:13 PM »
I think that they'd rather promote Clockwork Angels more than PW.  This mini tour was a perfect oportunity to do a full album but not so when they are tournuing behind a new CD.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 04:42:57 PM »

I'd much rather hear an entire album of which the songs weren't regularly played, like Signals, Power Windows, or even Roll The Bones

I can only imagine how much complaining there would be if they decided to play all of Roll the Bones. :lol :lol :lol

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 04:43:38 PM »

I can only imagine how much complaining there would be if they decided to play all of Roll the Bones. :lol :lol :lol

But it's a good album...

Still, all of Signals or Power Windows would be fucking fantastic

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 04:50:55 PM »
PLM.  When I first saw Rush on the GUP and PW tour they played every song but one from both.  No Afterimage from GUP and no Emotion Detector from PW.  Then when HYF came out they trailed off playing most of the song to half or a smidge more.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 04:52:38 PM »
Damn I'd love to see either of those songs.

Emotion Detector, especially, even though I realize not a lot of people like the song.

Oh, and I'm convinced that every Rush tour HAS to start with the 3 Stooges intro into The Big Money. PERFECT

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 04:56:51 PM »
I would love to hear Alex rip through the solo of EM live.  The best opening was on the seond leg of the VT tour.  They played the 3 Stooges them with the old black and white of Moe, Larry and Curly's head with Ged, Neil and Alex's name underneath.  Then at the very end, Alex's name changed to Brad Pitt! :laugh:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 05:08:23 PM »
PLM.  When I first saw Rush on the GUP and PW tour they played every song but one from both.  No Afterimage from GUP and no Emotion Detector from PW.  Then when HYF came out they trailed off playing most of the song to half or a smidge more.

Guess they just didn't play "Afterimage" at YOUR show...but they did do it live.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj-XMcMarrs

Also, they played all but "Losing It" live. It was a real shock to me when they played 9 out of 13 songs from Snakes & Arrows. I do find it a bit of a shame that from HYF-VT, they played half-or-less than the album live, especially when their sets got longer and longer.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 05:11:46 PM »
 Afterimage was played early on the GUP tour and then it was replaced by Kid Gloves which I saw.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 05:13:47 PM »
I would love to hear Alex rip through the solo of EM live.  The best opening was on the seond leg of the VT tour.  They played the 3 Stooges them with the old black and white of Moe, Larry and Curly's head with Ged, Neil and Alex's name underneath.  Then at the very end, Alex's name changed to Brad Pitt! :laugh:

lol

I love the three stooges :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 08:19:41 PM »

But it's a good album...

It is, but does anyone really want to hear "Face Up" or "You Bet Your Life" live?

Oh, and I'm convinced that every Rush tour HAS to start with the 3 Stooges intro into The Big Money. PERFECT

Hell yes!  I love that intro on the ASOH video. :tup :tup

I do find it a bit of a shame that from HYF-VT, they played half-or-less than the album live, especially when their sets got longer and longer.

Actually, they did play 6 out of 11 songs from CP and 7 out of 11 songs from TfE (if you count the few shows "Time and Motion" was played at) on the respective tours for those albums (and a 7th from CP was eventually played on the VT tour, "Between Sun and Moon").   

But really, if you look at the songs from the HYF-VT albums that weren't played live, I could probably only name 5-7 I really would want to see them play live, so yeah. :p

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 08:21:19 PM »
I want them to, but I doubt they will since they will be concentrating the set around the new album most likely.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 02:03:01 PM »
I'd almost always be open to hearing something that they have never played in 20 years (or ever.)

This thread has inspried me to break out one of my Power Windows Tour videos later tonight.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 02:05:25 PM »
That was the best part of the first leg of the Snakes tour, lots of goodies were dusted off.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 02:48:48 PM »
That was the best part of the first leg of the Snakes tour, lots of goodies were dusted off.

One of these days (unless someone else wants to do it) I'm going to do a poll to choose which songs were the biggest surprises on a Rush tour.

People complain a lot about hearing the same songs all of the time, but for the last 18 years there have been cool surprises of varying degrees on every tour.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 03:10:58 PM »

One of these days (unless someone else wants to do it) I'm going to do a poll to choose which songs were the biggest surprises on a Rush tour.

People complain a lot about hearing the same songs all of the time, but for the last 18 years there have been cool surprises of varying degrees on every tour.

They certainly have gotten better with setlist construction. I think the process of releasing DVDs after each tour has helped. Considering all the "redundent" songs that were left off of R30 because they also appeared on Rush in Rio was probably enough to give the band pause and really think about setlist construction if they were going to continue the live album/DVD release pattern. I loved the S&A first leg setlist and thought the Time Machine tour setlist was solid as well.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 03:47:39 PM »

For Snakes and Arrows it was easily Entre Nous and Circumstances. But Mission, Digital Man, Ghost of a Chance, Witch Hunt and A Passage to Bangkok were all big surprises as well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 09:29:49 PM »
They certainly have gotten better with setlist construction.  

I agree for the most part, although the pacing of the first set of this year's tour was still somewhat of a WTF, but generally, you are correct.  They have done a great job at bringing back some good older stuff on every tour over the past decade, while still playing a good amount of new stuff and many of their most well-known classics. :)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2010, 10:34:48 AM »
Playing Presto on this tour really surprised me.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2010, 09:07:33 AM »
this would be sweet...I have seen Rush since Hemipsheres, would like to see that sort of set list again
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2010, 10:49:30 AM »
They certainly have gotten better with setlist construction.  

I agree for the most part, although the pacing of the first set of this year's tour was still somewhat of a WTF, but generally, you are correct.  They have done a great job at bringing back some good older stuff on every tour over the past decade, while still playing a good amount of new stuff and many of their most well-known classics. :)

I loved the first set as a whole. While Presto shook things up, I felt the rest of it was awesome. My only complaint is that Stick it Out could have been replaced with something else

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2010, 06:58:37 PM »
The first set was kind of a drag compared to the 2nd (of course). I would cream my panties if they did PW as it's my favorite album ever.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2010, 09:29:06 PM »
For me, if there was a drag to the set it would have been side one of Moving Pictures.

Although playing the whole thing like that just proves how much more awesome the second side is in direct comparison...especially live in 2010.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2010, 01:42:17 PM »

But it's a good album...

Still, all of Signals or Power Windows would be fucking fantastic

Agreed. One way or another, they need to play Grand Designs.....one of THE BEST Rush tunes ever. PERIOD.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2010, 02:12:50 PM »
They did play Grand Designs in 1985 as an encore.  It was a weird place to hear it but it's a great song.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2010, 02:16:05 PM »
They did play Grand Designs in 1985 as an encore.  It was a weird place to hear it but it's a great song.

I always thought it was weird to play a new song in the encore...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2010, 02:19:56 PM »

-Marc.

I was happy to hear it but it was very strange to have it as an encore.  They've got it right now concerning the encores.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2010, 05:39:55 PM »

-Marc.

I was happy to hear it but it was very strange to have it as an encore.  They've got it right now concerning the encores.

I was very happy too.

That was the last time a new song made it into the encore. Without digging into the archives I think one of the few other times it was done was "Cinderella Man" on The A Farewell To Kings Tour. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2010, 05:41:54 PM »
Personally if a new song fits what's needed I think opening the encore with a new song is fine. However I think it is almost never wise to close the encore with a new song.