Author Topic: DT vocal covers by Nicky Spanjaards  (Read 146666 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: DT vocal covers by Nicky Spanjaards
« Reply #630 on: October 09, 2014, 08:43:05 PM »
You've gotten a lot better, Nicky. Congrats.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #631 on: October 09, 2014, 08:50:32 PM »
Hahaha  ;D
Well here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ6slLcR5gg&feature=youtu.be

Let me know what you guys think  :yarr

What do I think?!

What do I think???!!?!!!??

I think you have definitely recorded another vocal cover of a Dream Theater song! 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #632 on: October 09, 2014, 09:12:17 PM »
Best room decoration yet!! :lol

But yeah, you've definitely gotten better, no denying that.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #633 on: October 11, 2014, 09:57:37 AM »
Ummm... :yeahright
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #634 on: October 11, 2014, 01:37:56 PM »
You've gotten better definitely. There's still a lot of room for improvement, but it's fascinating to me that you've come this far. I have to say though, the two things I particularly almost can't stand about your performance are A. Your body language and movement, and B. Your misuse of power and tone in your singing.

To elaborate:
A. Please try to pay attention because I'm saying it hoping you will get better - your covers are best viewed while looking at a different tab. You're trying to imitate some of James' moves and stage banter that he pulls off in the band's most heavy, upbeat songs, or you're simply acting like a Power Metal frontman. That doesn't work usually since firstly, most of DT's songs don't mesh with the way James moves in, say, Lie's video clip. This song is a serious song with a slightly dark tone about post traumatic stress disorder, and while the guitar and the drums may set a powerful tone, James sings it in a very light, vulnerable tone to pass the message properly. So waggling your hands and throwing fists doesn't help much.

Secondly, even if some of the movement does fit the tone, remember you are in Youtube and filming yourself in your room - this is not a stage, and the environment makes any kind of excessive body language seem ridiculous.

B. I think the issue with your phrasing and singing comes from lack of breathing - it does seem like your breathing between lines, sometimes you might need to breathe while singing a line and pausing for a moment to accentuate the words you're singing. It seems like you're running out of air during segments like "I'm hanging on the edge" or "No magic pill can bring it back again" (during the bold words), so these words really lose their tone and power, and you also get a little flat on your tone. The lack of breathing almost makes it seem like you're "mumbling out loud". You should try to do something like "No magic pill" *pause for a short, quick breath* "can bring it back" *another breath* "AGAaaaaaiiinnnn"

Also, until you get the low/normal segments right, please try to avoid improvising high notes not present in the studio version. Improvs in lower/normal keys can be beautiful as well, and high notes require much higher skill to pull off. Beside that, you still need to develop a sense of when it's appropriate to pull a high note. When singers don't wait for the right "climax" moment of the song, it tends to sound like they're trying to scream some mucus out of their throat rather than pull an impressive achievement.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #635 on: October 11, 2014, 04:00:21 PM »
This is great  :metal  :metal  :metal

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #636 on: October 13, 2014, 09:03:21 AM »
Nicky's Jameisms are half the reason I watch his videos.

:hat
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #637 on: October 13, 2014, 09:59:27 AM »

They are the reasons why I avoid watching them. I could bear his singing if he was only trying to sing and not impersonate James.

B.Lee

On a side note, no, I don't think I could bear his singing even in that case.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #638 on: October 13, 2014, 11:17:25 AM »
Uhm, I dunno, I thought The Enemy Inside cover was pretty good and totally listenable. Much better than Nicky's earlier stuff.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #639 on: October 13, 2014, 01:08:10 PM »
ASYLUM CEEEEEEEREEEEEEEE  :metal :metal :metal :millahhhh :metal :metal :metal
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #640 on: October 13, 2014, 01:11:16 PM »
Uhm, I dunno, I thought The Enemy Inside cover was pretty good and totally listenable. Much better than Nicky's earlier stuff.

Well, OK, I was a little harsh. I would like to hear him without James singing behind and doing his own stuff on the song.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #641 on: October 13, 2014, 02:17:35 PM »
You've gotten better definitely. There's still a lot of room for improvement, but it's fascinating to me that you've come this far. I have to say though, the two things I particularly almost can't stand about your performance are A. Your body language and movement, and B. Your misuse of power and tone in your singing.

To elaborate:
A. Please try to pay attention because I'm saying it hoping you will get better - your covers are best viewed while looking at a different tab. You're trying to imitate some of James' moves and stage banter that he pulls off in the band's most heavy, upbeat songs, or you're simply acting like a Power Metal frontman. That doesn't work usually since firstly, most of DT's songs don't mesh with the way James moves in, say, Lie's video clip. This song is a serious song with a slightly dark tone about post traumatic stress disorder, and while the guitar and the drums may set a powerful tone, James sings it in a very light, vulnerable tone to pass the message properly. So waggling your hands and throwing fists doesn't help much.

Secondly, even if some of the movement does fit the tone, remember you are in Youtube and filming yourself in your room - this is not a stage, and the environment makes any kind of excessive body language seem ridiculous.

B. I think the issue with your phrasing and singing comes from lack of breathing - it does seem like your breathing between lines, sometimes you might need to breathe while singing a line and pausing for a moment to accentuate the words you're singing. It seems like you're running out of air during segments like "I'm hanging on the edge" or "No magic pill can bring it back again" (during the bold words), so these words really lose their tone and power, and you also get a little flat on your tone. The lack of breathing almost makes it seem like you're "mumbling out loud". You should try to do something like "No magic pill" *pause for a short, quick breath* "can bring it back" *another breath* "AGAaaaaaiiinnnn"

Also, until you get the low/normal segments right, please try to avoid improvising high notes not present in the studio version. Improvs in lower/normal keys can be beautiful as well, and high notes require much higher skill to pull off. Beside that, you still need to develop a sense of when it's appropriate to pull a high note. When singers don't wait for the right "climax" moment of the song, it tends to sound like they're trying to scream some mucus out of their throat rather than pull an impressive achievement.
This really is a great post. The fact you took the time to write it is something Nicky should appreciate.
I have sang for over 25 years now and I can say that if you are working hard at the craft you will continue to improve no matter how many years you have been doing it.
I can't say even now I am very impressed with the vocals or the stage presence compared to past efforts, BUT keep working hard and you will continue to improve. The fact others feel you are getting better is good motivation for you, Nicky. Good luck moving forward.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #642 on: October 13, 2014, 03:03:16 PM »

To elaborate:

This really is a great post. The fact you took the time to write it is something Nicky should appreciate.
I have sang for over 25 years now and I can say that if you are working hard at the craft you will continue to improve no matter how many years you have been doing it.
I can't say even now I am very impressed with the vocals or the stage presence compared to past efforts, BUT keep working hard and you will continue to improve. The fact others feel you are getting better is good motivation for you, Nicky. Good luck moving forward.
Thank you for the appreciation. I have no experience with singing other than being part of a choir as a child and singing a lot of solos there, something that taught me to love the instrument and the action of singing, and maybe secretly trying to get back to that hobby every now and then later in life, privately - though I pretty much gave up ever since puberty hit my vocal cords and the fear of peer pressure hit my will to follow through.

Regardless, I've remained very critical and "loyal" to this particular instrument, usually over others. The singer is the first thing I pay attention to in any band I come by, and much like Nicky, James LaBrie is my favorite singer of all time. I admire both his natural gifts and his own developed tone, style and uniqueness, and he's pretty much my go-to vocalist if you ask for my taste in every professional aspect. Since Nicky obviously admires James so much and he's obviously inspired by his stage banter as much as I am, I've been trying to remain as critical and constructive as I can for a while with his covers, since he obviously sees the same thing I do in James' singing - he just hasn't developed the skill to pull it off yet, and I admire the fact he actually shoots for it.

Anyways Nicky, once again, I hope you will take our criticism the right way, and I hope you will someday get to your incredibly hopeful destination, the best thing you could do right now is learning to face your limitations and not trying to be cocky about it - think of how James completely took the show down in "Awake in Japan" 1995 when he tried to shoot for things well beyond his physical limitations at the time. Then look at Live Scenes from New York, where his performance wasn't an incredibly technical showcase as far as feats and notes are concerned, but it was much more bearable to listen to and he actually nailed the stuff that's "easier to sing". As long as you're still not able to sing the way you aim for, lower your expectations and master the notes and improvisations that are within your reach, and make them sound as good as possible. All the best!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #643 on: October 13, 2014, 05:04:12 PM »

I didn't even realize people had other reasons for watching them.   :|

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #644 on: October 22, 2014, 02:04:06 PM »
Thanks everyone for the good feedback!  ;D It's good to hear from you guys that I have improved. One of the reasons is I got more serious into singing. I've found a new vocal trainer, I'm doing vocal warm-ups and I'm doing scales almost every day to get better pitch and voice control.

Thanks for the advice IdoSC, it's really appreciated man. I'm going to work on the things you mentioned that I must look better at my body language and the lack of breathing. That was a really good thing you pointed out so thank you.

Which song of DT do you guys want me to sing next?
As Bertielee wants to hear me sing without James voice, maybe something of BC&SL?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #645 on: October 24, 2014, 09:00:49 PM »
Nailed it Nicky! Definitely do Illumination Theory next.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #646 on: October 24, 2014, 10:04:25 PM »
My challenge still stands, Nicky. "Somewhere over the rainbow", with no accompaniment.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #647 on: October 24, 2014, 10:04:55 PM »
you know there's an instrumental version of The Enemy Inside that you could sing to?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #648 on: October 24, 2014, 11:56:36 PM »
Thanks everyone for the good feedback!  ;D It's good to hear from you guys that I have improved. One of the reasons is I got more serious into singing. I've found a new vocal trainer

How many new trainers is this?  8? 9?

Offline PreHilbert

« Reply #649 on: October 25, 2014, 10:37:33 PM »
Ok, it so happens that every time Nicky posts a vocal cover on DTF the veil of shame which usually hides my vocal capabilities or lack thereof lifts itself magically, and I immediately feel entitled to record a Labrie vocal cover and share it with you.

Here is SURROUNDED: https://soundcloud.com/francesco-di-plinio/dream-theater-surrounded-vocal-cover. Audio only, garageband for mac and the apple headphones mic. 2 takes, indeed even willing to do more, the "but I will HOOOLD" does not come more than twice.

I hope you somewhat like the fact that I hit most notes. My vocal tone is nothing special and I have never taken singing lessons, just lots of ear training. My real job is being a mathematician, so at least I can claim I sing better than James integrates rational functions.

Cheers

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #650 on: October 26, 2014, 05:23:24 AM »
Ok, it so happens that every time Nicky posts a vocal cover on DTF the veil of shame which usually hides my vocal capabilities or lack thereof lifts itself magically, and I immediately feel entitled to record a Labrie vocal cover and share it with you.

Here is SURROUNDED: https://soundcloud.com/francesco-di-plinio/dream-theater-surrounded-vocal-cover. Audio only, garageband for mac and the apple headphones mic. 2 takes, indeed even willing to do more, the "but I will HOOOLD" does not come more than twice.

I hope you somewhat like the fact that I hit most notes. My vocal tone is nothing special and I have never taken singing lessons, just lots of ear training. My real job is being a mathematician, so at least I can claim I sing better than James integrates rational functions.

Cheers
I thought you did pretty good, particularly near the end.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #651 on: October 26, 2014, 04:01:20 PM »

Cheers
I thought that really wasn't bad at all. You should take singing lessons, I think you have talent.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #652 on: October 26, 2014, 04:18:47 PM »
Yeah, that was pretty decent. If I had to single out the most important area of improvement, it would be timing. Especially at the beginning you came in too early or too late quite a bit.

Offline PreHilbert

« Reply #653 on: October 28, 2014, 03:35:27 PM »
Thank you all for the nice feedback. Rumborak: you are right, some of the lines are ever so slightly off beat. These can be fixed if one does more than 2 takes: actually I am surprised I get the 5/4 part "dreams are shaking... by a candle.." on time.

To who is suggesting singing lessons: well, I am not spring chicken anymore... I would think about it if I could go back in time. But maybe buying a real microphone and singing out some more tunes, that I can do.

Actually, I have just recorded a Take the Time version. Here is it if you are interested, I think it sounds better than Surrounded, I was able to tweak the eq a bit more this time.

https://soundcloud.com/francesco-di-plinio/take-the-time-dream-theater

The backing track is due to the youtube user ekikoo.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 08:28:32 PM by PreHilbert »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #654 on: November 13, 2014, 03:52:02 PM »
Speaking of SoundCloud streams, I'm just gonna post this

https://soundcloud.com/nicky-spanjaards

and slowly back out of the thread.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #655 on: November 13, 2014, 07:01:29 PM »

:heart

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #656 on: December 02, 2014, 07:23:26 PM »
Hi all,

Here is a new vocal cover I recorded. It's not Dream Theater this time but it will be in the next video  ;D
This is a cover from Accept - Kill The Pain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANoSrx7eAOU

Cheers

That one sounds great man, you have a nice tone in your voice and a good job on the higher parts!  :metal

My challenge still stands, Nicky. "Somewhere over the rainbow", with no accompaniment.

That one will come in due time Rumborak  ;) If you want I can post my vocals only of the Accept cover?

Yeah that one was not a pretty good take, timing is all over the place. But I joined my new band and the timing is a lot better now.

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #657 on: December 12, 2014, 05:51:28 PM »
Hi all,

The next cover I did was Find The Real of Alter Bridge.
Let me know what you think  ;D  :metal

https://youtu.be/xJNKw5UNVWw

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #658 on: December 12, 2014, 06:11:59 PM »
I guess I haven't really given any substantive feedback in a while, so here it goes:
Nicky, I think you have worked a lot, and with good payback, on stuff like projection, grit and presentation.
What is still missing is the pitch. I actually don't know most of the songs you sing, so when I listen to your rendition, I have no previous reference. And I have to say, this video, and *particularly* on the demo of your band, I often don't know what your intended pitch is.
The Alter Bridge song is a perfect example where the song falls apart without accurate pitch. The guitars mostly do power chords, and Alter Bridge's singer (I listened to the original afterwards) fills in the chord context. He sings the missing thirds of the chord, and for that he needs to be dead on in terms of pitch. He is, you are not.

That's also the reason why I always bring up Somewhere Over The Rainbow as a song you should do. I figured it might make you realize your own weakness by exposing them, and thus motivate you to work on it. So far you always went for easy songs where you could cover up things with reverb and grit. To be perfectly blunt, if you *really* care about the craft, you need to work on your weak parts, not working on ways to cover them up.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 06:17:44 PM by rumborak »

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #659 on: December 12, 2014, 08:04:50 PM »
It is absolutely imperative for vocalists to bring emphasis to certain parts of music by acting out the words.  Thus, when the lyrics "straight down" were sung you descended towards the floor.  You're halfway there! 

Offline adamack

« Reply #660 on: December 13, 2014, 12:18:36 PM »
Hi all,

The next cover I did was Find The Real of Alter Bridge.
Let me know what you think  ;D  :metal

https://youtu.be/xJNKw5UNVWw

Good job man!

I must admit, you sound much better in your covers of bands like Alter Bridge than you do in the Dream Theater covers. Please take this as constructive criticism and absolutely not as a knock on your skills. Everyone's voice has a certain range where their vocals shine most. You have the ability to hit higher notes where needed, but overall your voice sounds much better in the middle range of pitch.

You should continue doing covers of bands like Alter Bridge. The Accept cover also sounded good too!

As rumborak said, there definitely are some pitch problems here and there, but there are far fewer of them on the Alter Bridge song than there were on some of the Dream Theater ones.

I also agree with rumborak in that you should attempt a song like Somewhere Over The Rainbow so you can begin to identify your problem areas, and work on those. Pitch problems are absolutely able to be strengthened and worked on, as you develop vocal control, develop your ear, and develop strength in your voice.

Keep up the good work!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #661 on: December 13, 2014, 02:08:04 PM »
BTW, just to comment on Somewhere Over The Rainbow, obviously nobody expects a Judy Garland saccharine vibrato. Make it your own, give it some edge. The important part however is the pitch, particularly the ones in the "someday I'll wish upon a star" section. The song actually switches key in that section, and it's only vocals at that point, so you have to switch keys, and land back in the original key, with no one to help you.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #662 on: December 19, 2014, 01:24:47 PM »
BTW, just to comment on Somewhere Over The Rainbow, obviously nobody expects a Judy Garland saccharine vibrato. Make it your own, give it some edge. The important part however is the pitch, particularly the ones in the "someday I'll wish upon a star" section. The song actually switches key in that section, and it's only vocals at that point, so you have to switch keys, and land back in the original key, with no one to help you.
For fun I may just take that challenge and post the vid! I think I could kill Somewhere Over The Rainbow! :metal

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #663 on: May 20, 2015, 10:17:16 PM »
https://youtu.be/CE4Ef5EXA-k

(I know,  not truly DT-related,  but this place can use anything at this point)

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #664 on: May 21, 2015, 10:23:55 AM »
https://youtu.be/CE4Ef5EXA-k

(I know,  not truly DT-related,  but this place can use anything at this point)

No, just no! I thought I could bare it in a different context but I just can't. I just don't like Nicky's voice...not a bit!

B.Lee
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 01:18:12 PM by Bertielee »