Author Topic: [Music] Oceansize - Self Preserved While The Bodies Float Up  (Read 2274 times)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
[Music] Oceansize - Self Preserved While The Bodies Float Up
« on: September 16, 2010, 03:47:56 PM »
Artist: Oceansize
Album: Self Preserved While the Bodies Float Up
Genre: Art-rock/progressive metal/post-rock
Year: 2010

Tracklist:
   1. "Part Cardiac" - 4:10
   2. "SuperImposer" - 4:15
   3. "Build Us A Rocket Then..." - 3:59
   4. "Oscar Acceptance Speech" - 8:54
   5. "Ransoms" - 4:07
   6. "A Penny's Weight" - 3:38
   7. "Silent/Transparent" - 8:29
   8. "It's My Tail And I'll Chase It If I Want To" - 3:36
   9. "Pine" - 4:55
   10. "SuperImposter" - 5:16
   11. "Cloak" - 3:39

Oceansize is one of those bands most people here probably have heard about, maybe not heard the music itself, but probably read the name somewhere in a thread on the forum.
It's been almost a year since i first heard them, back then it was the album "Frames", which i liked, but for some reason i didn't really check out the rest.
Anyhow, the news reached me about this new album of theirs, and i just had to check it out.
First off, it's very hard categorizing the band into a specific genre.
That would be the problem with most underground bands/artists, but the term 'progressive' just isn't enough here.
As heard especially on this album, the music ranges from very heavy and progressive, to beautiful and dreamy soundscapes that fits under the post-rock label.
They're combining the progressiveness from the newer bands like Porcupine Tree and Riverside, with more instrumental/landscapes-based bands like Agalloch, 65daysofstatic and Explosions in the Sky.
Similarities could also be drawn to Radiohead for the art-rock bit, and the influences are there.

The album starts off with the somewhat short intro-track 'Part Cardiac' clocking in at just above 4 minutes, which is short considering the previous two albums have intro-songs on over 7 minutes.
However, these 4 minutes are more then enough to sweep you off the floor.
The heavy guitars are very effective, and it's a new heavier side of the band we hear in this track.
Being a pretty slow/more build-up type of song, it's immediately followed by the second song 'Superimposer' which is more uptempo, and displays several other qualities this band has.
Besides amazing guitar-riffs and awesome drumming, the last 1 ½ minute or so of this song is just amazing in every way, and something i think every prog-fan would like.  ;)
'Build us a Rocket Then' kinda continues on the same road as the earlier 2 songs, focusing on a heavy intro, but then displaying the melodic-side of the band.
Track number 4 on the album, 'Oscar Acceptance Speech' is the first long-song, clocking in at 8.54, and is also the longest song on the album.
The first half of the song continues on a similar theme as the earlier 3 songs, but the second half of the song displays post-rock at its finest.
A gorgeous piano and a beautiful melody, that makes you dream away.
'A Penny's Weight' is a more atmospheric-track, which brings my thoughts to Anathema, because in this song we have female vocals as well.
The harmony-vocals are just amazing, and the soundscapes going on in the background adds magic to it all.
Then comes one of the biggest highlights of the whole album, 'Silent/Transparent' which is the other long-song, clocking in at 8 ½ minutes.
This song is just pure perfection, a brilliant build-up with melodies, harmonies, gorgeous instrumentation, great lyrics and great singing.
It's hard making any connections to other songs because it's very unique, but it got me thinking about the Agalloch-song 'Fire Above, Ice Below'.
Because this song builds-up, and ends with a beautiful climax, which is just wonderful listening to.
My favorite part is the singing Mike does right before the ending, combined with the climax ofc.  :)
Easily one of the best songs made this year, and one of the highlights on the album for sure.
After such an amazing song it's hard believing that the music will remain as great, but the track that follows, 'Its my Tail and Ill Chase it if i Want To" works great within the context.
It features an amazing intro, the guitars when the song really kicks in are amazing and the best thing with the song in my opinion, but i also really like the singing in it.
Then the album rounds off with more softer-songs that focuses on melodies and brilliantly structured chords and such, and i think that adds a lot to the album itself.
It starts off very heavy and closes softly, and in between it displays so many different qualities.
The circle is complete.

So, what are my thoughts overall?
I'm officially a fan of the band now, because this is just too brilliant not to enjoy.
I think this album deserves all of the listeners attention when listening to it, because you hear new things with every listen, and i promise you that it's worth it.
There isn't a single weak track on this album, and so many high peaks that it's almost perfect.
It's one of the best albums released in 2010 this far, but i'm also keeping The River Empires and Anathema very high, so it's almost impossible to rank those 3, but the conclusion is this:
You should NOT miss this album.

Highlight: Silent/Transparent & Superimposer

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
Re: [Music] Oceansize - Self Preserved While The Bodies Float Up
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
Great review, I was wondering where to start with this band, I guess this should be it.