Poll

which is better?

Studio/EP version
127 (75.1%)
LSFNY version
42 (24.9%)

Total Members Voted: 164

Author Topic: A Change of Seasons  (Read 18519 times)

Offline darkshade

A Change of Seasons
« on: September 13, 2010, 10:52:38 PM »
i wanted to start a new thread that isn't Portnoy related (i am becoming weary of reading the various topics when i come here)

i just listened to ACoS live from Live Scenes From New York, and i must say, having not given it a proper listen before, it is IMO SOOOOO much better than the studio version. i love the studio version, dont get me wrong, and Sherinian is amazing on it, but there is something really pleasing about the LSFNY version. it feels like the band is playing with so much emotion, not to mention JLB sings his heart out, he's just ferocious!

i also think the sound quality is better than the studio, but thats just me. i dont know any other official live releases of the full song so im just listing the 2 i know of.

so what do you guys think?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: A Change of Seasons
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 10:55:44 PM »
Studio, definitely. It's funny cause that's exactly what I'm listening to now.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 10:56:10 PM »
Yea I'm pretty torn. I think if they took the performane of the LSFNY version and just...mixed it better? It would be god like. I like the mix of the original, but the live version is damn fine, although the goofy parts....eh...I can live without those.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 10:57:56 PM »
Hey i started this thread a while ago!  ;)  Studio version.   :metal

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 11:02:00 PM »
Studio, definitely. It's funny cause that's exactly what I'm listening to now.

Nice  :yarr

i just started listening to DT again after MP leaving. the only DT song i listened to in the last week was ITPOE (both parts, as one (meh i hate that i have to do that))

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 11:05:32 PM »
btw i always wondered why they didnt do the entire song for Once in A Livetime, or the YtseJam release Old Bridge, NJ 12/14/1996 show. i know theyre both from the same time period, but the EP had recently come out back then, why wouldnt they play the whole thing?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 11:27:47 PM »
btw i always wondered why they didnt do the entire song for Once in A Livetime, or the YtseJam release Old Bridge, NJ 12/14/1996 show. i know theyre both from the same time period, but the EP had recently come out back then, why wouldnt they play the whole thing?

They did play it. And you can hear it live with Derek on this release - https://ytsejamrecords.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=15

It's a pretty good show, too, with all the cool changes and additions they made to certain songs.

I think after they did the it for shows in 1995. As for not playing it during 96/97/98 tours, I think it's because they had a MASSIVE amount of material written during those years for FII, and with 15 songs, it'd be hard to fit in a 23 minute epic in your set with all those NEW songs to pick from, as well as 3 prior albums of material. At least they brought the whole thing back in 2000, and then again in 2004.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 11:55:32 PM »
LSFNY only because i love hearing portnoy do the "we can hold for the future but there may not be one" line
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 11:57:10 PM »
LSFNY only because i love hearing portnoy do the "we can hold for the future but there may not be one" line

Meh. It wasn't bad by any means, but I prefer LaBrie singing....all of the parts if he can.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mechanix1911

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 03:03:16 AM »
Meh. It wasn't bad by any means, but I prefer LaBrie singing....all of the parts if he can.
Yeah, I agree. I don't like when Portnoy sings, but I love his vocal performance on The Glass Prison studio version.

Anyway, Studio/EP version.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 03:19:35 AM »
Studio version, although I find JR's piano interlude in The Darkest Of Winters actually more fitting than DS's.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 04:04:45 AM »
Studio version, although I find JR's piano interlude in The Darkest Of Winters actually more fitting than DS's.

Offline Fields10

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 04:48:00 AM »
I havn't gave the live version a proper listen yet so I can't answer that now...
Eternal life - I'd trade it for one moment beside you.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 05:10:55 AM »
LSFNY
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 06:02:26 AM »
Fuck, I can't decide!!

If I had to choose, probably the LSFNY one as it was one of the first vids I ever saw of DT.  I couldn't imagine how many times I would have watched it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 06:11:21 AM »
Fuck, I can't decide!!

If I had to choose, probably the LSFNY one as it was one of the first vids I ever saw of DT.  I couldn't imagine how many times I would have watched it.

same.... haha i would sit and watch it over and over... and i was kinda disappointed / relieved when i didnt hear that dicking around in the studio version
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 06:35:56 AM »
I prefer the studio version.

Offline Killer123™

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 06:42:23 AM »

Offline icarus4321

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 07:15:38 AM »
The LSFNY DVD was my first instroduction to DT.  There's a special place in my heart for A Change of Seasons, because it was the song that pushed Dream Theater over the edge for me.  When I watched it for the first time, I was overtaken by the immensity of it all, and I've never looked back.  I love the studio version too, but LSFNY is special for me.
Please check out our band, Agora Forte, www.reverbnation.com/agoraforte

My last.fm Profile

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 08:25:18 AM »
The LSFNY version is hands-down the best version of that song ever recorded. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goldfalcon

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 10:50:28 AM »
Both? :)

Probably the LSFNY version; just listened to it a couple days ago for the first time in a long time.  What a good freakin' song.

Alex

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 11:45:51 AM »
Studio version.  It was the first Dream Theater I ever bought, and while the LSFNY version is very good, I really don't hear anything in it that I like better than the original.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 12:00:47 PM »
The LSFNY version is really good, no doubt about that, but I voted for studio.  The Inevitable Summer JP solo is a rare gem that almost didn't make the cut.  JP improvises too much in the live version and that portion of the song gets kinda lost in the inevitable JP shred fest.  :lol

I wish he would've stayed a little more true to the studio version during that section of the song.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 01:36:34 PM »
I voted for LSFNY cuz I haven't listened to the studio version for like 2 years and can't remember how that one sounds

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
It sounds better.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 03:10:38 PM »
Studio.

Parts like "Oh come, let us adore him" etc really suffer on the LSFNY version IMO, and I think the crazy interludes just get in the way. Saying that, I can definatley see how people prefer the LSFNY version, I just prefer the additional polish and production on the studio version.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 03:51:40 PM by ACID_FOX »
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline jag66

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 03:15:33 PM »
LSFNW (perhaps because I heard it first). I rarely listen to ACOS or Octavarium studio versions, I stick the the live version.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2010, 03:45:57 PM »
Studio.

Parts like "Oh come, let us adore him" etc really suffer on the LSFNW version IMO, and I think the crazy interludes just get in the way. Saying that, I can definatley see how people prefer the LSFNW version, I just prefer the additional polish and production on the studio version.
LSFNW (perhaps because I heard it first). I rarely listen to ACOS or Octavarium studio versions, I stick the the live version.

LSFNW = Likely Safe For Not Work?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2010, 03:51:06 PM »
Studio.

Parts like "Oh come, let us adore him" etc really suffer on the LSFNW version IMO, and I think the crazy interludes just get in the way. Saying that, I can definatley see how people prefer the LSFNW version, I just prefer the additional polish and production on the studio version.

LSFNW = Likely Safe For Not Work?

-Marc.

I are tard.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 04:16:16 PM »
Both have parts I like better than the other. the "Please don't go", the interludes, and the feel of the live scenes version. But the vocals and ending i like on the studio. It Would've been epic if they ended it the studio version live
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2010, 05:43:13 PM »
ACOS was the first song I played by DT after I heard MP left. Actually it was by accident..but still profound.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2010, 05:51:16 PM »
the images and words demo. lol

Offline LadyEars

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2010, 06:02:43 PM »
LSFNY wins by a hair because JLB owns.
Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2010, 06:16:17 PM »

That was crucial.  That's what allows JLB to sing the "but those days are gone" part (which he did damn well on that particular night).  I listened to a couple of live versions that pre-dated MP doing backing VOX a few weeks ago, and it just wasn't the same.

However, JLB is the reason I easily vote for the studio version.  He sang parts of it very well during LSFNY, but he was clearly out of gas and it showed in a lot of other parts.  By the end, he just sounded monotonous. 

Other notes, I agree about the wankery in the live solo being a detraction, even though it was still a damn fine solo, and I'd just as soon they skip the goofing off interludes as well. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2010, 02:06:06 AM »
the images and words demo.

But of the two choices, LSFNY.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.