Author Topic: My almost-16 year old son is a moron... police, ERs, where could he be??  (Read 33214 times)

Offline VFS

• (otherwise known as JustJen)
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Do you think it was an inside job?
So he was told to call by 7pm since it's a school night. The past half dozen times he's gone out he's either called late or else called on time to wheel and deal more time out of his night so I made it perfectly clear and insisted he acknowledge that he understood me when I said to call no later than 7. And when he's late it's never more than 30 minutes.

So 7 came and went, but no phone call.

At 7:19 the one person he knows who drives called looking for him. That's one person he wasn't off someplace with at least.

At 7:30 i started getting angry and had my other son call down the road to his friends' house to see what's going on. No answer. Other son suggested perhaps older boy would call at 8pm and claim that he had thought that he was supposed to call at that time, so I thought perhaps he was a little shit and that was accurate.

8pm came and went. So did our patience.

We were now very angry and a little worried. Other son called several friends to see if anyone knew anything. Nobody did.

8:30pm came. He was now 90 minutes late and it was dark out. We live in a rural area with long stretches of no houses and no streetlights. We began to get extremely worried. I called the biggest local Emergency Room and asked whether they had any unidentified teenage boys. They did not.

I called the local small town police and asked if they had any incidents with teenage boys in my town tonight. They assured me there were no incidents, complaints, nor accidents. I was half relieved to be crossing things off the list, and half afraid that I would never find him if he wasn't in an ER or police station at this point.

It was now 8:45pm. My husband and other son went out looking for him. I waited by the phone, and got online to listen to the online police scanner for the area, praying that I wouldn't hear anything about my son. I heard a call about a man passed out on a front lawn, one about a man bleeding from the ears with no known reason, and one about a woman in active seizure. Nothing that could be my son. I was relieved... but still so worried.

At 9:00 my husband called to say he hasn't seen him and to ask if I heard from him. I hadn't.

At 9:25 my husband and son got back home - but still without finding older boy. He was now missing for two and a half hours. I immediately called the second biggest ER in the area. They didn't reassure me as quickly - they wanted his name first, and took their time letting me know he wasn't there. Called the next nearest town's police department. They didn't have any unidentified teenage boys in accidents or incidents.

I spent the next fifteen minutes (which seemed like an hour)  desperately searching the phone book and online for the phone number to the last local ER but couldn't find it anyplace - just one central number to a phone line that probably shut down at 5pm. After fifteen useless frantic minutes I was panicked and asked my husband to please call information and get the damn number and call for me. He called information, got the number, called it... and was greeted with "Plate Glass Company!". He called information again, now more agitated and rushed, and finally got the right number, and was relieved to find that our son was not in the final possible hospital.... but where WAS HE??

We called his friend one last time but got no answer. My husband put my middle son back in the car and said that they were going down there and pounding on the door until someone answered and if it didn't work they were going searching again. I waited and waited and waited. I finally called the state troopers and they told me that I should speak to a trooper ASAP and to call back if he wasn't found this time and they'd send out a patrol to get his description and what he was wearing and stuff. This was my worst nightmare coming true.

Twenty minutes later, I heard my husband arrive... and as the front door opened to the house, I heard my husband say "we got him!"

The boy stumbled in... he and his friend had fallen asleep. They slept thru all the phone calls, the banging on the door. The friend's sister had gotten home and was there this time to answer the door and tell middle boy to go in and jump on them to wake them up, saying her brother sleeps like a dead person.

I was speechless. Speechless. Relieved. Furious. Incredulous.

Speechless.

Oldest boy went to bed in short order, claiming exhaustion but no doubt wanting to avoid more drama. On his way to his own bedroom, middle boy complained offhandedly that one of his ears was bothering him. He's a dirty boy in general, and has bad seasonal allergies, so I figured I'd just pull mom-rank and make him let me q-tip his ear for him. As I was cleaning his ear out, still silent and speechless from the evening for the most part, he commented, ""i'm starting to build up an immunity or tolerance or something because now you can stick it further in there and it doesn't... like... make my throat feel weird anymore".

So I said, "that's what she said".

Needless to say he just about shit himself with laughter, and I apologetically explained that I don't often get a setup like that. Then I started to laugh.

All's well that ends well I guess.

Offline staveoffzombies

• Mostly Harmless
  • Oversized hats are cute.
I love your stories.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Fan-freaking-tastic.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
I was wondering when a thread about this was going to appear :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
hahahahahha gold ending. you should chalk it up to boys will be boys, i did forget to call/ go back on time some times, it happens when you are out having fun and your mind wonders.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline VFS

• DTF.org Alumni
:lol man. my kids. what the fuck. the parent curse really works. "I HOPE WHEN YOU HAVE KIDS THEY"RE JUST AS MUCH TROUBLE AS YOU WERE".

ugh. i better go to bed soon!

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
This made my night, seriously

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
You're awesome.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Yeah, I remember being 15 and strung out on Thorazine. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
I love your stories.

Great read, I was on edge! But without the hilarity of it all, that's a grim and very scary situation that I myself have caused numerous times when I was younger. Thank goodness your boy was alright, you really had me sitting on the edge of my seat. Glad to hear it, Jen.

...But yeah, children (no matter the age) are little twats, huh? Gotta love 'em.  :P

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
First time I got a taste of that was actually before I was a parent.  I took my friend's teenage son to see Queensryche/DT/Fates Warning, along with another guy I really knew only from another message board who I had also met at a gig previously.  Unfortunately, we got there a bit late toward the end of Fates' set.  As we had gotten through the turnstyle, another group of people I knew were about a minute or so behind me in line.  I told the teenager (Travis) that I wanted to wait and say hi to my other friends.  He wanted to see what he could of Fates, so he said he was going in.

A few minutes later, I go in...and he and the other guy I don't know aren't in their seats.  Odd.  But it was only a couple of minutes, so maybe they hit the men's room and the snack shack or something.  Two songs later, Fates ends their set.  Still no sign of Travis and the other guy.  Hmm...I'm annoyed, but not overly.  No big deal.  Intermission comes and goes.  No Travis.  I'm really concerned.  

DT opens with The Glass Prison, which is Travis' ultimate favorite DT song.  Surely he will show up any second.  ...  ... ...  Every few seconds, I'm turning around scanning the aisleways and other places instead of being able to pay attention to the show.  TGP comes and goes.  Pretty soon, a couple more songs do the same.  I leave my seat, and I'm walking all over the venue.  I check the restrooms.  I check the snack shack.  I go to the security booth.
Me:  Has anyone gotten sick, or gotten in a fight, or anything like that?
Lady:  No.
Me:  Has anyone been taken away in a police car?
Me:  An ambulance?
Me:  Can you call one, please?
Lady:  ???  Why?
Me:  He's going to need one when I find him.

I walk ALL OVER THE FRIGGIN' VENUE!  Finally, I find them both up in the nosebleeds way up at the top.  They said security looked at their tickets and said that's where the seats were.  Yes, the seat numbers were right.  But they were in the entirely wrong section.  Did the fact that there were 10 empty rows of people IN FRONT OF THEM clue them in?  Apparently not.  
:therearenowords:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Great story, but more than anything it leaves me wondering how a 15 year old boy ends up falling asleep before 7:00. That's too late for a nap and way too early to go to bed, and he was with a friend. That just makes no sense, they were up to something, or doing something to get them to sleep that early.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Great story, but more than anything it leaves me wondering how a 15 year old boy ends up falling asleep before 7:00. That's too late for a nap and way too early to go to bed, and he was with a friend. That just makes no sense, they were up to something, or doing something to get them to sleep that early.

This.  I'm thinking either sex or drug related but hey I'm just one guy.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
damn. thats stupid. teenagers don't use their brain, that's for sure.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

I used to go out with my friends sometimes and end up staying out overnight and forget to ring my parents to say where I was (oh, and ask for permission, of course). My parents never went nuts at all. Ever. If I forgot to ring that night, I just rang the next morning and I never got yelled at, they were always chilled out, didn't seem to have worried much at all. I was fairly well-behaved for a teenager, so they trusted me not to do anything wrong, or that I was staying somewhere safe. Plus, I wasn't overly socially inclined, so I think they were just happy to see me get out and spend time with people.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
I used to go out with my friends sometimes and end up staying out overnight and forget to ring my parents to say where I was (oh, and ask for permission, of course). My parents never went nuts at all. Ever. If I forgot to ring that night, I just rang the next morning and I never got yelled at, they were always chilled out, didn't seem to have worried much at all. I was fairly well-behaved for a teenager, so they trusted me not to do anything wrong, or that I was staying somewhere safe. Plus, I wasn't overly socially inclined, so I think they were just happy to see me get out and spend time with people.

im kinda like that as well. if im back at my parents for a weekend or something, i rarely call telling them i wont be home, they know im honest about everything, and that i dont do stupid things anymore. trust is golden.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm the 4th child in my family, so my parents never really gave a crap when I was out doing something, or how late I came home. Plus, I was always honest about what I was doing and never got into any trouble, so they trusted me.

Offline Anaesthesia

• pastry
I don't get the 'banned' part but damn, he must be such a heavy sleeper. o _o
120 px height.
In visible light // last fm

Offline VFS

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I remember being 15 and strung out on Thorazine. 

:lol this strikes me funny. I hope you're kidding.

Thank goodness your boy was alright, you really had me sitting on the edge of my seat. Glad to hear it, Jen.

...But yeah, children (no matter the age) are little twats, huh? Gotta love 'em.  :P

Thanks, me too... and yes they are! :P

10 empty rows of people

How do you know for sure it wasn't 10 empty rows of elephants?

:neverusethis:

Easy, yesterday was Monday and it came on the heels of a weekend. It's never easy for him to get up at 5:30am and stay up all day on Monday, considering his weekends consist of sleeping until almost noon and staying up till midnight. I've caught him drunk and he definitely wasn't drunk. I've seen him on pot too and this time he didn't have stale weed breath or red eyes. And he's generally got a way better head on his shoulders than to just take random pills.

I don't get the 'banned' part but damn, he must be such a heavy sleeper. o _o

What "banned" part?

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
I didn't get the banned part either...after the ear cleaning.

And teenagers brains are wired differently..medically..seriously look it up. The patterns are just fucked...including sleep. It's what keeps them up..WAY late..and makes them not want to get up until noon.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Their frontal lobes are also not fully developed. Cut your kid a little slack.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Puzzled by the banned part as well.  Is this another hidden word filter to amuse Bosk; like the smile thing?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
What banned part? What are you all talking about? ???
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
Puzzled by the banned part as well.  Is this another hidden word filter to amuse Bosk; like the smile thing?

The phrase "that's what she said" got out of control before the forum crash, so a word filter was applied...
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Puzzled by the banned part as well.  Is this another hidden word filter to amuse Bosk; like the smile thing?

The phrase "that's what she said" got out of control before the forum crash, so a word filter was applied...

I know. That was then. What does that have to do with this thread? It's not filtered out at all, so what are you all talking about. ???

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
yeah, I knew about the filter, but I'm not seeing it being applied to her post
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
It is being applied for me...
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
yeah, I knew about the filter, but I'm not seeing it being applied to her post
Oldest boy went to bed in short order, claiming exhaustion but no doubt wanting to avoid more drama. On his way to his own bedroom, middle boy complained offhandedly that one of his ears was bothering him. He's a dirty boy in general, and has bad seasonal allergies, so I figured I'd just pull mom-rank and make him let me q-tip his ear for him. As I was cleaning his ear out, still silent and speechless from the evening for the most part, he commented, ""i'm starting to build up an immunity or tolerance or something because now you can stick it further in there and it doesn't... like... make my throat feel weird anymore".

So I said, "I would love to be banned".
Needless to say he just about shit himself with laughter, and I apologetically explained that I don't often get a setup like that. Then I started to laugh.

All's well that ends well I guess.
I've got a pretty good guess based on context, but before learning that there was a word filter involved, it just seemed nonsensical to me. 
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
So wait - there was a word filter on before, but not now? The opening post is not word filtered at all. It says "That's what she said". But until someone mentioned being confused at the word banned, the word banned was not used in the thread at all

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
Some sort of shenanigans is afoot here...

So I said, "that's what she said".
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
So wait - there was a word filter on before, but not now? The opening post is not word filtered at all. It says "I would love to be banned". But until someone mentioned being confused at the word banned, the word banned was not used in the thread at all

Depending on your membergroup, some members can see the word and some can't. I can't because I'm in the lowest rank.

Someone tell us what the word is!

EDIT - Or maybe not? Looks like people from different groups can't see it.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
So wait - there was a word filter on before, but not now? The opening post is not word filtered at all. It says "I would love to be banned". But until someone mentioned being confused at the word banned, the word banned was not used in the thread at all

Depending on your membergroup, some members can see the word and some can't. I can't because I'm in the lowest rank.

Someone tell us what the word is!

It's a phrase, rather than a word...the reverse of the following (since before, all permutations of the phrase got filtered):

said
she
what
that's

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Membergroups have nothing to do with it.  The filter has been on since the board was set up and applies regardless of membergroup.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
Membergroups have nothing to do with it.  The filter has been on since the board was set up and applies regardless of membergroup.

So there's some other criteria, by which I can see it, and othere's can't?  I can both post it and read it with no filtering...