Author Topic: Entire discographies.  (Read 7503 times)

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
Re: Entire discographies.
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2010, 01:31:34 AM »
As long as you've heard the albums/own them in some way, shape, or form, I don't think it matters if you physically own the copies. I counted downloaded albums on my list, and I don't see why they shouldn't count (no, I don't mean illegal downloads!).

I think anyone can listen to a full album on Youtube. I did that with Blind Guardian's new album, but I don't think you get the same experience as having the physical copy. Downloading goes for that as well, because you can listen to it over and over but you don't have the same devotion as putting it into a CD player, turning it on, playing it through, and having it stop once the album is done, then physically playing it all over again.

IMHO, take it or leave it.

Offline limnides

• DTF.org Member
  • Dum vita est, spes est.
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2010, 03:46:20 AM »
It's preference.  95% of my collection is digital.
and I would consider myself a fairly devoted fan to music - I spend a good portion of my day involved with it in one way or another.

The way I choose to keep it shouldn't factor in.   :sad:

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2010, 03:49:03 AM »
I would definitely buy albums if I could. But it's next to impossible to get any prog albums in the region I'm in, so I have to ship in everything I want to collect. Too pricey.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2010, 05:58:07 AM »
I personally don't believe in CDs. I think they are a flawed format and they are entirely obsolete for my purposes. I collect vinyls of albums I really love, and the rest of my music library is digital. I don't see where CDs come in. Even my car can play off of my mp3 player, and in the worst case scenario I would just burn a CD. But to part with my hard earned for that flimsy plastic case with its (comparatively) tiny album art and booklet, no thanks. Never even seeing the CD while its playing, and being able to easily skip or fast forward by pressing a button. It's no more engaging than a media player on a computer and it's entirely less engaging than a vinyl.  It feels inadequate and it is for me. No offense of course to CD collectors, this is a mere personal opinion, but for my money, the future is digital. Vinyls do have the great packaging and big artwork. And the whole act of putting it on the turnable and watching the needle....and having to turn it over every 20 minutes or so. It's so much more intimate than a laser disc. And a laser disc isn't any more convenient than a digital library. I'm just not seeing why. Also I think I'm rambling now, so I'll stop.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2010, 03:24:06 PM »
I personally don't believe in CDs. I think they are a flawed format and they are entirely obsolete for my purposes. I collect vinyls of albums I really love, and the rest of my music library is digital. I don't see where CDs come in. Even my car can play off of my mp3 player, and in the worst case scenario I would just burn a CD. But to part with my hard earned for that flimsy plastic case with its (comparatively) tiny album art and booklet, no thanks. Never even seeing the CD while its playing, and being able to easily skip or fast forward by pressing a button. It's no more engaging than a media player on a computer and it's entirely less engaging than a vinyl.  It feels inadequate and it is for me. No offense of course to CD collectors, this is a mere personal opinion, but for my money, the future is digital. Vinyls do have the great packaging and big artwork. And the whole act of putting it on the turnable and watching the needle....and having to turn it over every 20 minutes or so. It's so much more intimate than a laser disc. And a laser disc isn't any more convenient than a digital library. I'm just not seeing why. Also I think I'm rambling now, so I'll stop.

I agree with your vinyl opinion. Vinyl just sounds better and is so much more intimate. But because I do not have access to a record player (of my own), I resort to CD's. It's a good option, but if I have my druthers and the ways and means to acquire all my Cd's on vinyl, I would. So, the rambling it worth. Carry on.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2010, 03:34:28 PM »
I don't have any full discographies physically, but excluding the DVD audio CDs, I have every Metallica album. Also, I have Thought Chamber's only album. :D

EDIT: Also have Pantera's discography (excluding the first four albums), which some fans don't even know of).

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2010, 04:16:17 PM »
I'm with Portucci on this one. Everything I like gets goes to my iPod, regardless of whether I download it from the web/itunes or upload it from a CD. I think the purist view of listening to music is very limiting and narrow. I don't feel like hauling 40 CDs and a big music player around. Sorry.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2010, 05:45:18 PM »
Opinions aside, anybody can download anything from the internet illegally and getting a discography in that manner means absolutely nothing. You can be happy but you don't have a collection and you don't have anything to be proud of. You sacrificed NOTHING to get what you have and in the simple and economic sense that makes it WORTHLESS. There is no arguing that, it is cold hard fact.

If you like digital music and you've paid for it and obtained it legally that is another story completely.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2010, 05:47:24 PM »
That's why I only listed the bands with CD's I actually own.

I have full discographies for other bands, but not all of them are CD's. However, I'm always working to buy those albums, so I do feel less guilty about downloading. I will eventually physically own all the music on my computer

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2010, 05:48:12 PM »
Cry some more, Nick.

Anyway, I can't actually remember the last time I listened to music on a CD. If I get a CD, it immediately goes onto my computer + MP3 player.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2010, 06:02:29 PM »
There is nothing wrong with ripping music from a CD (or other source you have) and keeping it digitally.  I listen to my iPod 95% of the time, 4.99% from my digital library, and only 0.1% the actual CD, and that's usually in the car driving home after I buy a CD.  The point is that I actually OWN a legit copy; the only three I don't own a physical copy of are three albums that were offered digitally on amazon.com and the CD's weren't (or well over $80 for a used copy).  Check my house tour, I show racks of CD's, and others that aren't sorted.  I can personally vouch for Nick as well that he has a very large and legitamate collection (or he shoplifted a fuckload  :biggrin:) .  Buying a CD or DVD is the easiest way I can tell a band "I like what you do, and would like you to continue."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2010, 06:23:44 PM »
Cry some more, Nick.

Wtf Harry? Read DTVTs post, and try to realize I was in no way trying to discredit digital music, which has many advantages.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2010, 06:24:49 PM »
I only said that because you got so worked up about it :P

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2010, 06:28:28 PM »
Opinions aside, anybody can download anything from the internet illegally and getting a discography in that manner means absolutely nothing. You can be happy but you don't have a collection and you don't have anything to be proud of. You sacrificed NOTHING to get what you have and in the simple and economic sense that makes it WORTHLESS. There is no arguing that, it is cold hard fact.

If you like digital music and you've paid for it and obtained it legally that is another story completely.
That's funny. Not once did I ever mention illegally downloading music :) In fact, in my other post, I specifically pointed out that I do NOT mean illegal downloads. I don't believe in it, nor do I act in or promote it.

I am disappointed to see this thread go down the hole of elitism and snobbery. I download digital music, and I do it LEGALLY. Jesus Christ.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2010, 07:03:43 PM »
It's a good thing my post wasn't in response to you...

(Note: Generally if I'm pointing a post directly at you I will quote you)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2010, 07:06:29 PM »

Heh, alright. I will admit I do get worked up about it, but rightfully so the way I see it.

I've worked hard to earn the money to be able to own and support bands like Rush and so I go into a slight RAGE if I see 14 year old kids going LOL I HAS RUSH DISCOGRAPHY FROM THE INTERNET!!:!>!>! and act like it actually means anything more than they have an computer and a web connection.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2010, 07:57:28 PM »

Heh, alright. I will admit I do get worked up about it, but rightfully so the way I see it.

I've worked hard to earn the money to be able to own and support bands like Rush and so I go into a slight RAGE if I see 14 year old kids going LOL I HAS RUSH DISCOGRAPHY FROM THE INTERNET!!:!>!>! and act like it actually means anything more than they have an computer and a web connection.

Do you know how many damn versions of HYF I own?!?!  Album, cassette, cd, 20 bit remaster. dammit!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline limnides

• DTF.org Member
  • Dum vita est, spes est.
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2010, 02:19:29 AM »
I admit that some of my collection have been gifts (and no, this isn't a euphemism for stealing), but if I haven't ripped the music from a physical CD I more than likely ordered it from Amazon.co.uk... if I haven't ordered it from there than it was a free download available from the band themselves.  Or, in rarer cases - literally from the band after I asked them for a personal copy of their work (most are more than happy to oblige if you ask nicely).

I recently moved across an ocean so to trail along an entire collection of physical CDs would be madness.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2010, 04:06:51 AM »
Great, now you've half convinced me to give up my future quest of collecting CDs. :lol
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2010, 09:02:43 PM »
The Blank Theory (1)
Breaking Benjamin (4)
Bullet For My Valentine (3)
Children Of Bodom (6)
Down (3)
Dream Theater (10)
Elston (1)
Eve 6 (3)
Foo Fighters (6)
From Zero (2)
In Flames (9)
Killswitch Engage (5)
Lamb Of God (6)
Linkin Park (3)
Mastodon (4)
Metallica (15)
Mudvayne (5)
Nightwish (6)
Pantera (5)
System Of A Down (5)
Them Crooked Vultures (1)
Tool (4)
U2 (12)
Velvet Revolver (2)
3 Doors Down (4)

All of them are real CDs (meaning nothing burnt or itunes) and all of them are the just the main studio albums except for Metallica in which i have every single release  :tup

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2010, 09:06:21 PM »
Oh god I don't want to count what CDs I have.

I have all of the studio releases from the following bands, except some odd singles here or there.

Dream Theater
Pain of Salvation
Metallica
Nightwish
Symphony X
Lacuna Coil

Oh jesus christ there's more, but so many bands have like 2 cds and I don't want to count them. Who cares? Jesus doesn't.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2010, 12:57:24 AM »
Oh god I don't want to count what CDs I have.

I have all of the studio releases from the following bands, except some odd singles here or there.

Dream Theater
Pain of Salvation
Metallica
Nightwish
Symphony X
Lacuna Coil

Oh jesus christ there's more, but so many bands have like 2 cds and I don't want to count them. Who cares? Jesus doesn't.

"No, I don't. It's all good brah. Carry on"