Author Topic: Special tracks for special countries...what's the deal with that?  (Read 2035 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Special tracks for special countries...what's the deal with that?
« on: September 08, 2010, 08:49:14 AM »
I've always wondered this, but the reminder I don't have Stingray really reminded me to try to find the answer to the question:  Why do some countries always get bonus tracks?  Japan is the biggest offender, they always get bonus tracks.  Is there a Japanese law that mandates this?  It's always weird when I listen to my CD copy of Entropia because my old roommate, who is Japanese, also had the album so I have the Japanese bonus track on my iPod, and I can't imagine that album without "Never Learn to Fly" anymore.

So, what makes those countries so damn special?  Serious replies please, I've always wondered this and I didn't think to ask the members of SG Sunday.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Special tracks for special countries...what's the deal with that?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 08:51:32 AM »
Japan has specially-made CDs that can have over 86 minutes of music, as opposed to the normal ones, which can have almost 80, so there's your answer.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 08:54:41 AM »
Not sure where it started, but another reason is that the Japanese divisions of the major labels have required bonus tracks, so for an artist to release an album on a Japanese division of their label, it's often written into the contract that the band has to offer up an extra track.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 08:55:51 AM »
I was actually considering making this thread a few days ago. You're absolutely right about the Japan thing. Every time I look up an album on Wikipedia it seems like there are always 1 or 2 Japanese bonus tracks. I remember talking with someone on another message board about this, and apparently there is some sort of law that requires albums imported into Japan to have bonus tracks. I forgot specifically what the law states, but it's certainly no coincidence. I wish I could remember the site he linked me, because it explained everything.

Edit: Well, Bosky explained it. There you go.

To be honest though, it really doesn't bother me at all. I never listen to bonus tracks on albums unless they are studio-quality original songs. For example, I've owned Opeth's Orchid, Morningrise, and My Arms Your Hearse reissues for years now, and I've never listened to their bonus tracks. I just don't really care. The standard album tracklisting is usually enough for me.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 09:41:35 AM »
I'm pretty sure the reason why the Japanese get bonus tracks is because CDs are more expensive there, so the bonus tracks make it worth buying the CD for them.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 09:46:17 AM »
I'm pretty sure the reason why the Japanese get bonus tracks is because CDs are more expensive there, so the bonus tracks make it worth buying the CD for them.
This is the version I've heard.

As they're very costly, having bonus tracks deters people from importing them, and helps keep the Japanese record shops alive.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 11:30:34 AM »
You would think in this day and age of the digital download it would end but it still happens.  I would buy every individual song of bands I love if it were available.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 11:49:55 AM »

As they're very costly, having bonus tracks deters people from importing them, and helps keep the Japanese record shops alive.
Why don't they just, you know, charge less?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 12:31:05 PM »

Why don't they just, you know, charge less?
Far as I've known it's something to do with it being a more isolated market, and import prices being high.

Having a look, though...

https://www.thejapanfaq.com/FAQ-Prices.html

That seems to go into it. Some of that goes over my head somewhat as I've just been skimming, but yeah. "That's how Japan works," is probably the short answer. Awful cop out though it is.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 02:00:18 PM »
I always thought that the Japanese imports had extra tracks because CDs in Japan are very expensive.  The tracks are an incentive to buy the japanese version rather than a cheaper import.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 02:50:43 PM »
I always thought that the Japanese imports had extra tracks because CDs in Japan are very expensive.  The tracks are an incentive to buy the japanese version rather than a cheaper import.

He's pretty much got it.  It's really Japan's way of keeping at least some market within their own country as far as music cds.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 06:08:16 PM »
I always thought they did it because usually Japan gets music after everyone else, so it's kind of an apology.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 06:17:51 PM »
And here I always thought it was to compensate for their incredibly small... CD manufacturing industry.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1