Author Topic: ICED EARTH top 30 - part II: The Wrath of Wolfking  (Read 10882 times)

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
Re: ICED EARTH top 30 - part II: The Wrath of Wolfking
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2010, 06:47:08 PM »
Alright, changed it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2010, 07:14:17 PM »
Alright, changed it.

Nice title, cheers, stay tuned!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2010, 07:47:21 PM »
Nice to see The Phantom Opera Ghost and Wolf ranked so high.  :tup

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2010, 09:32:06 PM »
I love me some Horror Show. It's my favorite Barlow record for sure.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2010, 10:08:40 PM »
Cool thread, that I missed

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2010, 05:30:08 AM »
Wow, after reading more carefully through your list Myke, I realised that our lists are going to be very, very different.  Stay tuned.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2010, 06:45:06 AM »
I have been into Iced Earth close to 10 years now.  As a teenager discovering the world of metal, somehow i ended up stumbling across Iced Earth.  After hearing Melancholy I believe I went out on a limb and purchased Something Wicked This Way Comes, the rest is history.  For quite a while I was obsessed with Jon's amazing triplet riffing and Matt's effective addictive vocals.  As I bought more albums I was impressed at how prolific and consistent they were, forming a very unique distinctive sound and enough variety in their music to keep one interested.  I spent hours trying to play Jon's rhythm's on my guitar, but my right hand would always end up crippled.

I will just list the songs here.  I am not judging based on any reworkings or live versions.  I will mention throughout if I like a live version or a re-recording but overall I am not ranking those versions, my choices are based on the strength of the songs.  There are some odd choices and odd rankings.

30. Angels Holocaust

EPIC intro!!  Sets up the mood of the album perfectly.  Nice acoustic section then half way through it really kicks into gear.  Classic Schaffer riffing and a choir which adds an amazing atmosphere.  I love the version done by Barlow but to be honest I really don't mind John Greely's vocals, IMO he did a good job.  Amazing riff towards the end followed by a decent solo.

29. Dracula

I like how this one starts with quite a mellow, somber piece which is really quite relaxing.  Nice melodies and then about a minute and a half through Barlow lets out some shrieks.  Enter Jon with a very groovy melodic riff.  Barlow doesn't let up from here on, firing hatred and venom.  A very strong chorus on this one.

28. The Reckoning (Don't Tread on Me)

I remember when Tim was first announced as the replacement vocalist.  Since his split with Priest was around the same time, a lot of us predicted it.  This song was the first we all heard from The Glorious Burden.  I remember hearing the intro and knowing that Ripper was going to be a very good fit for IE.  A classic chorus intro which Tim sounded just a epic as Barlow IMO.  Brutal song, classic riffing, classic chorus.  Tim does some good work in the middle too, great buildup.

27. Slave to the Dark

I love the tempo of this song, it just grooves along really nicely.  Nothing really new here, this song was basically the prototype for the Something Wicked Trilogy, it's pretty similar, but that's no big deal with me.  I like the consistent double kicking in the chorus.  Barlow sings a wonderful melody in the chorus also.  Great guitar solo section which has an excellent break in the middle mimicking the chorus melody.  I especially like how the tempo kicks back in once the last verse kicks in.

26. Dark Saga

A great opener, I loved this song from the moment I heard it.  I knew the whole album was going to be great, this just sets up a wonderful atmosphere.  I agree with Myke, I do remember this song getting a bit of a hard time because of it's simplicity, but that really doesn't bother me.  A nice chug through the verse and Barlow is sounding excellent.  A beautiful quieter section in the middle, great song with nothing to prove.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2010, 09:23:15 AM »
You are correct sir, off to an interesting start already! That's how I like it. Similar lists would be boring. Hope you have some curve balls to throw in there too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2010, 07:09:50 PM »
I believe I have a couple of curve balls indeed.  And yeah, I looked at yours and thought, year, it's worth me doing a list cause it will be quite different.  No point if I agreed with everything you posted.  (All great songs though because it's IE!  :metal)  This thread has rekindled my love for IE, I've been giving them a flogging the last 48 hours!!  Been too long since I listened to them.

Stay tuned more list later.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2010, 04:22:41 AM »
25. The Path I Choose

This song is simply a riff monster!!  I prefer Barlow's version of course, but the original to me is listenable.  You can really hear that Jon was a big old school Metallica fan in this one, very similar riffing which reminds me of the Puppets/Justice era.  A great solo section on this one from Randall, some great skills shown here, some very nice licks here, I especially like his palm muted runs, very well done.  The shriek from Greely at the end makes me  :lol

24. Something Wicked, Pt 1

A wonderful start to an excellent record.  I love how it immediately kicks into the verse of the Prophecy.  That was a wonderful touch to get people into this record and that was done really well.  Make sure you listen closely to Ripper's amazing backing vocals too.  I just love the groove of this one, it really feels like an overall overture to the whole story and record with many different sections reminiscing from the original trilogy.  Good stuff.

23. Valley Forge

Here's a different one.  This has IE all over it, but it's also a bit different, here Jon is showing his Iron Maiden influences IMO.  An amazing melodic chorus.  An underrated track and one of my favs from TGB.  It made my list because it's a refreshing track.  It's got the IE gallop but I like how Jon is using the natural minor instead of basing his riffing on the phrygian mode which a lot of his songs are.  This song is one of the best IE songs lead guitar wise, of course when Jon got Ralph Santolla do to the duties, what else could you expect.  Love the whole last chorus and outro.  When Tim sings, "Words can't express, all that you've done" I get chills.  Ralph backs Tim up with some excellent improvisation. 

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2010, 06:17:17 AM »
Good to see Valley Forge.  Great song.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2010, 10:17:54 AM »
Good to see Valley Forge.  Great song.
This

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2010, 08:07:28 PM »
I have a DVD boot with Ralph playing from the Glorious Burden tour and he is fucking terrible at leads. I don't know if it was an off night, but he simply sounded dreadful and just way off rhythmically.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2010, 09:25:01 PM »
Ralph was awful live.  Straight up awful.

Iced Earth haven't had a good live lead guitarist since Shawvyer.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2010, 10:15:48 PM »
Who's the guy they're currently with? Cause he was pretty lame. As was the guy when I saw them with Ripper.

At least they can always find good drummers.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2010, 10:36:10 PM »
Wow, never saw Ralph do any live work, never would have thought he was bad live.  The new guy, Troy I think his name was seems pretty average too.  I've watched some youtube clips and he seems pretty ordinary.  His studio work so far is pretty good though.

Larry wasn't too bad from what it seems, it was just his rhythm playing was average and he could not keep up with Jon.  I would have liked Tim Mills to hang around, I really like his solos on Overture of the Wicked, that's some tasty lead playing.

More list later.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2010, 11:19:27 PM »
I have a Horror Show tour boot DVD and Larry is pretty damn flawless in it. Must've been a real on night for him.

Troy isn't so bad from what I could tell at the gig I was at a few years back.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2010, 11:22:12 PM »
I have a Horror Show tour boot DVD and Larry is pretty damn flawless in it. Must've been a real on night for him.

Troy isn't so bad from what I could tell at the gig I was at a few years back.

Well, if his lead playing isn't overdubbed on Alive in Athens he did really well.  Although I'm quite sure a lot of his rhythm playing was overdubbed.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2010, 11:34:31 PM »
He always reproduced Shawver's leads note for note perfect. I felt that they really should've reunited the AIA lineup. Get Larry and James back in the band since Matt and Brent are there. Go for the full nostalgic effect.

Online Adami

« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2010, 11:50:16 PM »
The hell is wrong with you guys? Larry was horrible on AIA. His own solos he did fine, but most of the shawyer or whatever ones he did terribly. His rhythm was fine, but good god he was an average at best lead guitarist.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2010, 12:26:09 AM »
The hell is wrong with you guys? Larry was horrible on AIA. His own solos he did fine, but most of the shawyer or whatever ones he did terribly. His rhythm was fine, but good god he was an average at best lead guitarist.

Hmm...I'll have to go and listen again, I never seemed to have a problem with his work on it.  I really believe most of his rhythm tracks are actually Schaffer in stereo.

Online Adami

« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2010, 12:28:06 AM »
I have no idea if his rhythm tracks are live or not, but I also have a boot from (or had) the Horrow Show tour and he was fine on that too. But his leads are just sloppy as hell. Add in a wah pedal and he could be in a B level Metallica tribute band.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2010, 01:00:26 AM »
I have no idea if his rhythm tracks are live or not, but I also have a boot from (or had) the Horrow Show tour and he was fine on that too. But his leads are just sloppy as hell. Add in a wah pedal and he could be in a B level Metallica tribute band.

:lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2010, 05:04:50 AM »
22. When the Night Falls

Great tune.  Of course with this one, I prefer the DOP version immensely, mainly because of how is was restructured and how Matt restructured the melody of the chorus, he made it a lot better, he actually sung it instead of speaking it.  :lol  I just love the classic chord progression, but love how Jon breaks it down to make a fucking catchy riff.  Love the old school Maiden vibe in this song.  Great solo section in the middle too, good song, nothing more to say.

21. The Prophecy

You just have to love the spooky intro, a great chord progression and gradual build up.  My favourite part of course is at 2:39, when that riff kicks you in the face, man, that riff!!!!  I love how Jon modulates his riffs like this one, adds a real dark atmosphere.  From here on to the end it keeps kicking your ass.  Good solo too.  I actually really like how the boys did it on the Overture EP.  It has a different feel, and Ripper really did a great job considering what he had to contend with.  I like the solo on the Overture EP better too.  Wish Tony Mills stuck around for the album, he might have been one of IE's top lead players.

20. Hold at all Costs

My fav section from the Gettysburg trilogy, I like the direct approach, it gives a good contrast compared to the other two tracks.  Ripper does some great work on the intro portraying the frustration of friends having to fight against each other.  Amazing chorus!!!!!  I love this chorus and a spectacular melody.   Gotta love the middle section too, very, very well done, gives the track a perfect feel.  Tim really did an amazing job in IE and this is proof, I wish he was still with the band.

19. Ghost of Freedom

Here's another different one, from the Horror Show album, the only song not tied with the album theme.  I really love this track and is one of my favourites from Horror Show.  I like the simplicity of it, Matt's honesty and just a heart wrenching chorus, with great lyrics.  This is one of those songs that make me feel warm and comfortable just from the amazing atmosphere it gives off.  Also one of the most commercial songs IE ever come up with.  If given some airplay it might have caught on.  Great tune, simple and honest.  Nice heavy middle section too for a great contrast, nice melodies.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2010, 07:34:38 AM »
At least part of Larry's leads were overdubbed on AiA.  You can clearly see it if you watch the DVD.

Online Adami

« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2010, 10:50:02 AM »
At least part of Larry's leads were overdubbed on AiA.  You can clearly see it if you watch the DVD.

The DVD video and audio usually have nothing to do with each other. They just took the audio from one show and placed it over that show. Not quite sure why. But I doubt what you're hearing on that DVD is at all from what you're seeing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2010, 10:51:51 AM »
Thus is true. Just watch Stormrider for a good example.

Online Adami

« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2010, 10:56:29 AM »
Or Pure Evil. I think you hear barlow say "....this is pure evil" and he's walking away, not holding the mic anywhere near his mouth".
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2010, 03:14:15 AM »

The DVD video and audio usually have nothing to do with each other. They just took the audio from one show and placed it over that show. Not quite sure why. But I doubt what you're hearing on that DVD is at all from what you're seeing.

I have so many DVD's where this is the case, I never understood why.  Some DVD's I'll notice during solos that one particular phrase or passage is overdubbed, but is completely different to what they are actually playing, then sometimes after the passage it goes back in sync.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2010, 07:54:22 AM »

The DVD and audio are both from the two shows they played in Athens.  It's overdubbing.

Jon never intended to release a DVD; the DVD was rushed out by Century Media without his consent.  No doubt Jon would've liked someone to oversee that the editing was more consistent with the album.

Online Adami

« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2010, 10:42:34 AM »
Yes, but I think they played a bunch of the songs twice and just picked the audio from one. So it might be you're seeing the video from one show and the audio from another on some of the songs.

I haven't heard any confirmation that anything was redubbed in the studio later.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2010, 02:46:15 PM »
Yeah, that was my belief, although the CD notes that "two very different sets" were played both nights. Altogether, there were 30 tracks played, from the 3 disc set and the one track on the Melancholy EP. That's 15 a night. Maybe with encores, a few doubles could be there (like you can be sure that "Iced Earth" was played both nights).

Online Adami

« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2010, 03:52:12 PM »
I remember either hearing or seeing an interview with Jon that they repeated some of the more ballady songs, or softer less thrashy songs.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2010, 04:35:13 PM »
I've seen footage (that might even be on the DVD... I haven't been bothered to watch it) where Schaffer is talking about post production with his producer guy (I don't think it's Morris) and says that any mistakes are touched up in the studio.

Online Adami

« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2010, 04:38:09 PM »
I haven't seen that. I'd love to though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com