Author Topic: ICED EARTH top 30 - part II: The Wrath of Wolfking  (Read 10933 times)

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
ICED EARTH top 30 - part II: The Wrath of Wolfking
« on: September 07, 2010, 05:41:51 PM »
Iced Earth were a band I discovered sometime in high school. They quickly rose to the high ranks for me, and even for a great stretch were likely my favorite band (outside of the immovable classics, like Priest or Maiden). I listened to them at such a consistent rate that it was borderline obsessive. With the firing of Tim Owens and the constant BS spewing of head honcho Mr. Jon Schaffer (not to mention his crazy right-wing solo effort) my adoration for the band quickly faded. They receded back to the depths.
I was pleased with the overall album that was Matt Barlow's return to the fold (although I felt it inferior to the previous release, Framing Armageddon, which I feel is the bands true masterpiece). I also finally got to see the band live around this time and actually met Mr. Schaffer and was delighted to discover that he is perhaps one of the nicest musicians that I look up to in regards to how he treats his fans on a personal level. All that kind of helped the sting subside. I hadn't really listened to them in some time, but frequenting the official Iced Earth thread here inspired me to give those old albums a spin and I felt compelled to start a top tier listing.
Now of course, this is all personal opinion. I have some weird choices. A lot of obvious top choices for some might very well be my least favorite to listen to. IE isn't all that complicated of a band as far as formula goes, and many have often complained that Schaffer's riffing is too generic and repetitive. At times, I'm inclined to agree, but for me, the band's efforts usually have a ferociousness and intensity balanced with a perfect blend of melodic and sinister elements. I think that's what makes their albums stick out and have such prominence and personal appeal to myself.
So, all blabbering aside, I shall commence the list:

30. "Come What May" - The Crucible of Man

The final song (not counting the instrumental epilogue) to IE's last album, the second half of the "Something Wicked" story arc. Being the end of this giant, intergalactic epic, it's interesting to see it finish on such a reflective note. It's a wee bit on the nose in regard to the lyrics, but it's point is quite true: we can either stand by and watch or even participate in the destruction of everything we have or actively take a stand and try to preserve whatever humanity we have left. The bridge towards the end where Barlow is shrieking as high as I've ever heard the guy get in nearly tear-inducing.

29. "A Question of Heaven" - The Dark Saga

Another finale song, this to perhaps IE's most consistent work, the Spawn inspired concept album The Dark Saga. It's a fairly dynamic way to go out, really balancing the records shades of heavy and melodic bits. The keys really set the mood on this one, and the acoustic elements really help to give it shape. It all concludes with another gut-wrenching performance from Barlow.

28. "The Devil To Pay" - The Glorious Burden

The Gettysburg trilogy is off to an explosive start in this track. Some truly remarkable layering going on here. I believe Jon was quoted as saying that at some parts, there are as many as 125 tracks simultaneously playing...which is crazy. In addition to IE's already fairly densely layered song style, you've got an orchestra accompanying everything. Some of my personal favorite Tim Owens moments on this song as well. The section starting at 8:10 is easily one of the most epic things ever put to tape by the way. I'd really like to get Schaffer to score some film soundtracks. Songs like this prove he's fully capable of it.

27. "The Dark Saga" - The Dark Saga

This song seems to be an underrated one, as most people find it to be too simple. I think its great for that very reason. This was the first song played live at the very first show when Barlow returned to the band, and I have to admit, upon watching the cruddy youtube clip, I damn near got shivers. A solid track and near and dear to me as my old band used to cover it.

26. "The Path I Choose" - Alive in Athens

Aside from the lack of keyboards, this is a far superior version of the track originally from the Night of the Stormrider album, mainly due to the not nearly as awful vocals that are on the initial album. Although the vocals aren't even really the focal point of this track; it's the awesome instrumental section in the middle. A progressive odyssey of riff after riff. Great stuff.

25. "In Sacred Flames/Behold the Wicked Child" - The Crucible of Man

Yes, I know, this is technically two tracks, but the earlier is simply an instrumental intro to the entire record...and it's pretty amazingly massive. This is what the band opened with when I saw them and it was truly mind-blowing. Behold is also the first time we've heard Barlow since his initial departure from the band, so not only is it dramatic re-entry for him but it also marks the descent back into the Something Wicked storyline after the lull between parts 1 and 2.

24. "Prophecy" - Overture of the Wicked

How do you make an epic even more epic? This is a fairly good example. Jon chose to re-record the Something Wicked Trilogy during the sessions for Framing Armageddon and really went through great lengths to differentiate it. He premiered his baratone guitars with this recording, and really mixed things up by bringing in some new percussion instruments to give it a very tribal element. This track just feels so much more massive now. My only real complaint was the palm-muted guitars during the second half of the track, as they are far too muffled and kind of kill the riff.

23. "Attila" - The Glorious Burden

One of Barlow's last contributions before initially leaving IE was his penning of some of the lyrics on this album. Attila is one of the shining points. The sheer brutality is pretty devastating. Ripper has some pretty crazy screams on this. Pure gutteral. The mid-section with the call and response sounds a bit funny and would likely have benefited from Barlow's original vocal tracks or perhaps even Schaffer taking a stab at them.

22. "Travel in Stygian" - Days of Purgatory

Its safe to say that the Barlow renditions on this compilation are nearly all superior to the original tracks (only complaint is the truncated stuff) and this is one of the best. The song starts out feeling like your standard IE track, but quickly erupts into something more. Before one even realizes, they are in the midst of another epic track. I safely say that the ending piano/acoustic guitar section is without a doubt my favorite single section of any Iced Earth song ever. It simply sums up all the anger and anguish perfectly and really leaves you there to sit and think. A wonderful and fitting ending to perhaps my favorite over-all IE album, as far as pound for pound and song for song.

More soon!

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 06:46:36 PM by MykeHavoc »

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The ICED EARTH top 30 list: Myke Havoc's take
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 06:21:40 PM »
30. "Come What May" - The Crucible of Man

28. "The Devil To Pay" - The Glorious Burden

27. "The Dark Saga" - The Dark Saga

This song seems to be an underrated one, as most people find it to be too simple.

23. "Attila" - The Glorious Burden

Come What May - Probably my favorite song on Crucible of Man. Such a fantastic closer to a meh album.

The Devil to Pay - Probably my least favorite part of The Trilogy, actually. I still love the song and it's one of the ones that first got me into Iced Earth

The Dark Saga - I've never seen it criticized for being too simple. It's one of my favorite songs on the album regardless.

Attila - Great song! Glad to see it make the list since I've seen it get a lot of crap in the IE thread.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 07:13:29 PM »
21. "Ten Thousand Strong" - Framing Armageddon

I remember the first time I put this song on, my head blew up. Arguably one of the best metal screams ever recorded hits you right in the face from the second you press play. It develops into a fairly standard IE track, but in all honesty, there's not much wrong with that. It's a classic hard-hitter with the epitome of a big chorus. An obvious choice for live audiences, as it stands as the perfect anthem.

20. "Burnt Offerings" - Burnt Offerings

For some strange reason they put an inferior intro on this track for its inclusion of the Days of Purgatory compilation. The original release is by far the best version. The creepy horror-film soundtrack intro is a great way to kick into this one. Schaffer (sounding a lot like Tom G. Warrior here) trades off the verse vocals with then new lead frontman Matt Barlow. The guy quickly established himself to be about 9,000 times better then the two previous hacks the bands suffered with (although the singing lessons he took before subsequent releases is quite apparent). Damn, this track is just fucking pissed off. I love it.

19. "The Clouding" - Framing Armageddon

The true centerpiece of the bands definitive masterpiece. The dreamy like majestic tones set in the first half are simply amazing. Some of the best clean stuff in the band's entire catalog. Tim really gets to emote on tracks like this, which I always use as an example to clueless folks trying to say he sings with no feeling. Some truly tasteful guitar leads and fretless bass. The song suddenly shifts into the familiar IE style of dark and heavy balanced with the melodic hooks. Not sure whether it was intentional or not, but the ending always reminds me of Burning Times.

18. "Dante's Inferno" - Burnt Offerings

What can you say? The epic to end all epics. It sounds like about half an album jumbled up into a conglomerate of riffs. But this is about the nine plains of hell, so of course its rather appropriate to shift moods. I will admit, it took me some time to get into this song and not just see it as a long, overdone piece. But the intensity eventually seeps."Abandon all hope who enter here" and "Lucifer!" pretty much knock me out of my socks. I'd still really like to see this live, but it does seem Schaffer doesn't like playing anything off this record anymore, which is a shame. It's fairly strong.

17. "Iced Earth" - Days of Purgatory

The name-sake song. A smoking metal classic that goes down in the annals of other great name-sake songs like "Iron Maiden" and "Black Sabbath". It was featured on the original demos, the first album, and then finally got re-recorded in its definitive version on the Days of Purgatory compilation (there's also the live version from Alive in Athens). The thing that puts this version above the others is the response background vocals during the verses which are not featured on any other version. As far as I know, this is also the final track played at every IE show ever. Always a fun time.

16. "Stormrider" - Alive in Athens

The Days of Purgatory version would have been picked, but for some reason they clip the mellow intro and tack into onto the back end of Angels Holocaust. This song is a beast live, and really gives Jon the chance to have at the lead vocals and get the audience going. Great instrumental middle section (like a lot of the tracks on this record).

15. "A Charge to Keep" - Framing Armageddon

I fucking love this song. It's so simple but so effective. Tim is totally doing his Dio vocals on this one. He sounds absolutely heart-wrenching. Massive chorus that slays. Really uplifting and empowering.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 07:34:16 PM »
I'm hoping you put all the "Something Wicked This Way Comes" songs at the top.  :tup
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 07:46:52 PM »
Funny "Ten Thousand Strong" story. My friend and I have to scream along with it every time we listen to the song. We were at a red light waiting for our turn when the song comes up on shuffle. Apparently, the scream is also a signal for "HIT THE GAS! NOW!", because my friend floored it through the red light. Once we were though he had to ask me "Shit, was that a red light?" We were lucky the turning cars were paying attention. It was pretty metal though! :lol

Oh, and Dante's Inferno going this soon makes me a :sadpanda:.
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 07:53:18 PM »
The Alive in Athens version of Dante rapes the studio version IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 08:04:02 PM »
Typically I'd consider including live albums to be cheating, but the versions of some of the songs (especially off the first two albums) are so massively superior live I'd make an exception.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 08:14:34 PM »
lol you are gonna be disappointed. There's only one track from SWTWC in my list (besides the one I already listed, although its not even that version of the song). It's a good record as a whole, but I don't really find many of the songs all that interesting on an individual basis.

14. "The Hunter" - The Dark Saga

What a great, catchy as fuck song. It's got all the definitive IE elements. Heavy and melodic riffing perfectly mixed. Trying to get the band to cover this one. I feel like this song should've done more for the band, as its the perfect single. Not really much else to say. A strong song through and through.

13. "Framing Armageddon" - Framing Armageddon

A quick, snappy in your face track. Great vocals, great melodies, great intensity. I love all of Jon's almost subliminal vocals in the chorus. This is a no bullshit track. Even the lead, although simple, sounds so massive with that epic bends. This song just builds and build to the most intense crescendo I think I've ever hear. Seriously, the way the vocals build down, from highest to lowest, is simply amazing. I kind of feel like my mind has been fucked by the time this track is over. Amazing tune.

12. "Burning Times" - Something Wicked This Way Comes

Another classic opener. This is bare bones bad ass-ness. Total slayer of a tune. Love the medium tempo. No need to peel faces with this one, as it seems more content on crushing skulls. It all comes together for another great chorus. I feel this is one of the best displays of Matt Barlow's power. His venom hits you like a tidal wave. He sounds like some twisted preacher pointing his finger at me and telling me my life is fucked. And by God, I feel that shit. Also one of the best live tracks ever. Always a stomper.

11. "Dracula" - Horror Show

And we finally arrive to Horror Show, my personal favorite album featuring Barlow on vocals. This track didn't immediately jump out at me. I didn't really fully absorb it until seeing it live. Then it pretty much blew my head off when I took the time to listen. The fantastic mellow intro is really sealed with Steve DiGorgio's fretless bass playing. He almost makes the thing weep and give the track that perfect melancholy slant it calls for. When it kicks in, it feels as though we're sucked into a spiraling story. I really feel that Schaffer captured the conviction in the Francis Ford Coppola version of the film, bringing home that tragic love story element. The scene where Vlad impales the cross with his sword and it begins to bleed is one of those life-altering images. This song truly embodies that rage. The creation of a true monster. Oh, and the chorus? That's chest-exploding goodness. Feel it.

10. "Angels Holocaust" - Days of Purgatory

The beginning essentially feels like the world crumbling down and really sets the mood up rather quick. This is the opener for the album that vies for my top favorite, although I prefer this version of the tune for the obvious reason that the re-recorded vocals are far superior. The choir is of course the selling point. It really slams this track into the stratosphere. Through and through, a stellar track featuring perhaps my favorite Schaffer's moment, where everything cuts out except for him, galloping the shit out of his guitar at a ridiculous and impossible to duplicate picking pattern. It's almost all entirely one note, too, yet is somehow is more badass then what any wank shredder could manage to pull off.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 08:22:41 PM »

I'm inclined to agree, expect for that there's no keyboard outro. I know, such a minor gripe, but for me its enough to warrant.

Typically I'd consider including live albums to be cheating, but the versions of some of the songs (especially off the first two albums) are so massively superior live I'd make an exception.

I would also agree with this, but Iced Earth is such a difficult band to gauge as certain songs have been re-recorded half a dozen times, and all are usually vastly different. I look at is as my list is as is, and that I simply state which version of the song I prefer, but ultimately, the list wouldn't change if you interchanged any other version...although I can safely say nothing from the first album would make it. That singer is fucking atrocious. The guy on Stormrider is at least sort of decent.

Haha, I'm trying to pace myself but I'm kinda anxious to finish my list up and let someone take a stab at their list.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 10:29:52 PM »
Your list makes me sad. Some of my top 5's already gone. But don't feel the need to rush. I haven't even started my list yet.... And I wont be able to post it until I get internet back.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 10:35:09 PM »
I don't agree with this list at all. Why do you have so many Iced Earth songs in there?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 12:35:39 AM »
Interesting list so far. I shall follow this :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 05:48:36 AM »

I'm inclined to agree, expect for that there's no keyboard outro. I know, such a minor gripe, but for me its enough to warrant.

Fair enough, I on the other hand much prefer the ending they did live, had more of an epic finish to it IMO.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 09:02:07 AM »
09. "Vengeance is Mine" - The Dark Saga

A true behemoth. Easily Barlow's best lyrics. Amazing intro. Its kicks into gear and just pummels from start to finish. Another live classic as well. Just a solid track through and through. Not much more to say.

08. "Damien" - Horror Show

I honestly had no idea this would place so high, but when compiling my list, it simply fell into place. God, this song is really amazing. Its about 1000 times better then it as any right to. Awesome bass intro, awesome acoustic passages, nasty chunky riffing. The lyrics are simply ok, but the melody lines are ridiculously strong. All the chanting stuff is great. Plus a great spoken word section for Schaffer to get angry at Jesus (which is all dialogue from one of my top ten favorite film monologues featured in The Final Conflict). I love how the song feels like it could just go on forever yet doesn't really feel overblown. But, there it is, in all of it's 9+ minute long glory.

07. "Something Wicked part 1" - Framing Armageddon

Finally, the full length Something Wicked story is off to an explosive start. This is one of the most layered things ever recorded. The vocals sound like as angry mob of Rippers ready to kick your ass. The choir stuff he does in the background really gives me a chill. The transition section in the middle is pretty amazing. I'm not even sure what the drums are doing there, but its a really complex progressive sounding thing. Really neat. Ripper again really pushes his chest voice to its peak and emotes wonderfully here. A grand epic chorus follows. What more can you say? Wonderful track.

06. "Phantom Opera Ghost" - Horror Show

Here's a song that does not get nearly enough attention. The massive closer to Horror Show, this really shows off some great writing on Schaffer's part. The Acoustic intro is reminiscent of Hallowed Be Thy Name. We enter some familiar territory with chunky, odd timed riffing, but then are struck with the sudden surprise of lead female vocals traded off with Barlow's lines. We're suddenly thrust into this baroque duet about on of the best films ever made (the first 2 Universal versions and the Hammer production are my favorite takes). Great organ effects accent more sprawling riffs. The really mellow section in the middle is really stunning. Amazing performances, amazing lyrics. My favorite seems to be when the songs build and build and then go down to a whisper and almost make me weep. The song jumps back up with an amazingly fast acoustic passage and comes to a great dramatic close, ending where it began.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 11:06:23 AM »
05. "Colors" - Days of Purgatory

The Days of Purgatory version narrowly beats out the AIA shows version (that eventually showed up on the Melancholy EP) for the lack the twin lead elements at the beginning and end, which really sell it. I'm not really sure what else to say. I picked up the Days of Purgatory compilation when starting to become a fan and this track really floored me. I was pumped that someone had the sack to write a ripping metal classic about The Warriors. It's just all sorts of awesome.

04. "The Reckoning (Don't Tread on Me)" - The Glorious Burden

This song smokes. My favorite track featuring Ripper by far. The first track I heard with him singing. This was a big draw for me to the band. This sort of thrashier Judas Priest element. I love how this song doesn't rely on any guitar solos. It's just intense, in your face metal riffing and nasty screams. Love the middle section as it builds from a lull to an explosive crescendo. Love that bassline, too.

03. "Violate" - The Dark Saga

This song grabs you by the face and fucks you till you like it. Quick, to the point, no BS. This song has no intention other then to fuck your shit up. A definitive metal classic. Amazing lyrics that actually scare me. Nasty groove break in the middle. Creepy chorus. Nice extended ending for the band to jam on. This is one to catch live. always causes chaos.

02. "Pure Evil" - Days of Purgatory

By far the best song on what I usually regard as my favorite album, although this is my preferred version because, like all the others, Barlow's vocals far surpass those of the early chumps in the band's career. Another straight up fucker. Thrash-tastic verses, with cascades of riff after riff lead to the best mellow build in the catalog. The audience singing the bass line live is awesome. Then everybody screams their damn balls off for the chorus. This is a song that never leaves me after listening to it. I find myself thrusting a fist and chanting along long after its over.

Before announcing my number one, I'd like to pay special tribute to the cuts that just missed the mark. Some I even regret not listing, so I figure it's good to give them special consideration here:

"Slave to the Dark" - The Dark Saga
"Last December" - Burnt Offerings
"A Gift or a Curse?" - The Crucible of Man
"Nightmares" - Days of Purgatory
"Birth of the Wicked" - Something Wicked This Way Comes
"Jack" - Horror Show
"Red Baron/Blue Max" - The Glorious Burden

And to so many wonderful short acoustic passages (instrumental and non) that I simply don't could as real songs but are indeed great in their own right.

Now that you have a bunch of clues, guesses for the top spot are welcome. I'll post it later tonight.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 12:57:36 PM »
The only 2 albums I know from Iced Earth are The Dark Saga and Horror Show, but I'll go ahead and guess that "I Died For You" will be there.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 12:57:50 PM »
I wouldn't put The Reckoning near that high up.

I'm going to guess Burnt Offerings.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 12:58:38 PM »
Watching Over Me perhaps #1?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 01:09:59 PM »
I can't say this is even remotely near what mine would look like.

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 01:58:31 PM »

Same for me.  Mine would look radically different.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 04:41:35 PM »
I'm going to go way out on a limb and say the #1 song is "Dragon's Child".
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 04:48:20 PM »
Based on this list, #1 will be Written on the Walls :P

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 05:47:08 PM »
Number 1....

Melancholy or Disciples of the Lie I reckon.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 06:12:18 PM »
The only 2 albums I know from Iced Earth are The Dark Saga and Horror Show, but I'll go ahead and guess that "I Died For You" will be there.

No

I wouldn't put The Reckoning near that high up.

I'm going to guess Burnt Offerings.

It's my damn list. Make your own :P

And Burnt Offerings was number 20 on my list ;)

Watching Over Me perhaps #1?

Weak song

Feel free to post your own list after, as I'd greatly like to compare/contrast everyone's lists.

I'm going to go way out on a limb and say the #1 song is "Dragon's Child".

As much as I dig it, no. That might make top 50.

Based on this list, #1 will be Written on the Walls :P

Oh you kidder.

Number 1....

Melancholy or Disciples of the Lie I reckon.

As I stated, the only songs that made it from SWTWC were listed already. In fact, Melancholy is one of my least favorites. Everyone seems to love that track. It's dreadfully boring to me. Disciples would be top 50.

I'm glad no one guessed correct, but then again my choice is a weird one, so I'm not surprised. OK, time to conclude this beast.

01. "Wolf" - Horror Show

This is not in the top spot solely based on the song itself (of course it kicks ass) but this one has special significance. Horror Show was the first album I picked up from IE. At the time, I was a classic metal junkie, living off of Priest, Maiden, Sabbath and the like there of. I had heard stuff about IE and decided to scope out their catalog. Being a psychotic horror fan, this album was an obvious choice. And of course Wolf is the opener. I remember being with my buddy at Newbury Comics when I grabbed this. We hopped in his car and I put it on to give it a listen. I was digging the groovy intro, and then got thrown through a tale spin. Barlow's screams and the sheer brute force of the instrumentation nearly gave me an anxiety attack. The verses were so layered and in my face that my head was spinning. The chorus came and Richard Christy's double-bass drumming was unreal. By the time the bridge comes around with the triplets, I literally couldn't take it anymore. I had to shut it off. It was too much for me to handle. Rarely is music able to frighten me. This song did. This song is responsible for giving me a feeling I hadn't felt since I was 6 years old walking through the horror isle of the video store, with my hands across my eyes with my fingers apart so I could peak. This was the musical equivalency of such a memory. Although in hind-sight I've listened to plenty of brutal music since, this was the balance for me. The ability to meld melodic and heavy bits to the fullest extent of both worlds attracted me like nothing else could. So this is probably the most important song in the band's catalog for me...and it pretty much rapes you, too.

So there it is. Finally done. Who wants to go next? I'll change the thread title once we have a solid successor.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 06:34:25 PM »
As I was reading your post just then, I thought to myself......WOLF!!!!  Of course it's wolf!!

Then I scrolled down and slaped my forehead  :facepalm:

Amazing song, totally forgot about this one and it would be in my top 5 IE songs easily!!!  Richards double kick FTW!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 06:35:29 PM »

I'm glad no one guessed correct, but then again my choice is a weird one, so I'm not surprised. OK, time to conclude this beast.

Not weired in the slightest.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 06:36:17 PM »
Fuck.  Wolf was my other guess.  I decided to go with Dragon's Child just 'cause it's the slightly more oddball choice.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 06:50:38 PM »
Fuck.  Wolf was my other guess.  I decided to go with Dragon's Child just 'cause it's the slightly more oddball choice.

Dragon's Child is a fucking good song!

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2010, 08:15:20 PM »
Alright, so once all this "Mike leaving DT" business is done, who is going next?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2010, 06:15:35 AM »
Alright, so once all this "Mike leaving DT" business is done, who is going next?

There's rumors that sooner or later IE's drummer, bassist, guitarist and whoever else will leave. SHOCKING!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2010, 08:17:03 AM »
 :lol

I can't wait till Barlow leaves again. It's bound to happen. I'm not exactly sure how picking a guy whose busy almost always with a full-time job was a good idea to go back to. Ripper may not have "had his heart in it", but he prioritized IE over anything else.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2010, 05:43:48 AM »

There's rumors that sooner or later IE's drummer, bassist, guitarist and whoever else will leave. SHOCKING!

I'll give 30 songs a go!

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2010, 09:22:42 AM »
You wanna finish your nevermore list first or should I just change the thread title now?

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2010, 12:51:25 PM »
Can't wait for the show tonight!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2010, 05:37:51 PM »
You wanna finish your nevermore list first or should I just change the thread title now?

I'll finish the Nevermore one tonight since no one else besides you gives a shit.   :lol

I can start a IE one in about 24 hours.