Author Topic: Kamelot no longer touring US without Roy Khan  (Read 3247 times)

Offline elyster

Kamelot no longer touring US without Roy Khan
« on: September 04, 2010, 10:48:11 AM »
https://www.kamelot.com/site/news/kamelot-singer-falls-ill-north-american-tour-to-go-on/

Bummer.  They have the singer from Circus Maximus filling in for him.  Part of me thinks they should've just postponed the tour.  I don't know...

:-\

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 06:39:02 PM by Nick »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Kamelot touring US without Roy Khan
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 12:08:50 PM »
This is terrible news, Ive been looking forward for so long to see Kamelot and mostly because Khan is such an awesome singer.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 12:11:06 PM »
We already have a thread for this.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 12:18:50 PM »
While I see your point, the thread you are referring to is supposed to be about Kamelot's new album, and for how many fans they have and how big of news this is I think it is certainly worthy of its own thread.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Adami

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 12:19:21 PM »
While I see your point, the thread you are referring to is supposed to be about Kamelot's new album, and for how many fans they have and how big of news this is I think it is certainly worthy of its own thread.

Fair enough.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 12:20:24 PM »
That kinda sucks, he's pretty much the only reason I listen to Kamelot.

Offline Adami

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 12:21:42 PM »

They have good music, but with out Khan, they're just not nearly as interesting.

I haven't heard any Circus Maximus. Can this guy really do all the stuff Roy can? I mean, Roy is pretty much the only singer I know who does those soft high operatic parts.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 12:23:04 PM »
That sucks.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 12:24:44 PM »
That sucks.

no

u

:neverusethis:

They have good music, but with out Khan, they're just not nearly as interesting.

I haven't heard any Circus Maximus. Can this guy really do all the stuff Roy can? I mean, Roy is pretty much the only singer I know who does those soft high operatic parts.

Yeah I guess some of their music is alright, but for me it's all about Khan's voice.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 01:32:06 PM »
well, this ends me considering catching their NY show in a few weeks. Hope Roy feels better soon and I can catch them the next time around
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 02:09:11 PM »
Just came into General Music Discussion to look for the Kamelot thread to post this...

Looks like I'm really late

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 04:26:12 PM »
This Circus Maximus singer is AMAZING, but it won't be the same....

I'm grateful that I've already seen Kamelot live 3 times.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 04:32:37 PM »
I don't mind Circus Maximus's singer, but I don't like him either. And I don't think he'd fit at all with Kamelot's music.

I love the rest of Kamelot, it isn't just about Roy Khan to me, but without him it won't have that same magic that makes Kamelot Kamelot.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 06:28:30 PM »
Saw this news at another forum.  Bummer.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 06:09:48 PM »
The main reason to see them live is because Khan absolutely rocks live. I couldn't imagine seeing them without Khan.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 01:56:30 PM »
The tour has officially been postponed. Kamelot will play their ProgPower headline show with guest vocalists and then reschedule the North American tour when Roy is better:

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=145660

American/Norwegian melodic metallers KAMELOT have released the following statement:

"As many of you know, [KAMELOT vocalist] Roy [Khan; full name: Roy Sætre Khantatat] has fallen ill and could not make the North American tour.

"We have been rehearsing like madmen here in Tampa — the band is tighter than ever and [previously announced replacement vocalist] Michael [Eriksen] from CIRCUS MAXIMUS is truly an amazing singer; if there is one male vocalist in this world who is on par with Roy, it is Michael! However, after today's rehearsal, we all decided that we do not feel right about doing the North American tour as anything less than a 100% KAMELOT experience.

"We appreciate that many fans have waited more than two years for new material and to see us perform together.

"Our new album, 'Poetry for the Poisoned', represents a labor of love from us, and to present it at anything less than full strength seems a disservice to all involved.

"Though we will suffer financial losses on this late-hour cancellation, we still feel it's the right decision for us as a band to make.

"We regret disappointing all those who worked so hard to shape this tour, and especially those fans who were still so willing to come through and support us despite Roy's absence. We are humbled by that type of support, and we sincerely hope that our return in full-form KAMELOT strength will be more reward for your unwavering loyalty!

"We will reschedule all shows in the near future, once Roy is able to return.

"Refunds can be obtained at the point of purchase.

"To thank Michael for his effort, the band will still appear at the sold-out ProgPower [USA] festival, as a one-off show with him and many special guest singers from the festival.

"Again, we want to thank all of you for your amazing support!!"

KAMELOT's first North American tour in two years was scheduled to kick off on September 8 at the House Of Blues in Lake Buena Vista, Florida with support from LEAVES' EYES and BLACKGUARD.

I or one am relieved. This will likely mean we'll get them early next year with the proper lineup. Had they gone through with it, they might've waited another 2 or 3 years to hit my area.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 02:08:04 PM »
Come to Arizona you fucks! You came to New Port Fucking Richey of all places (Which I'm extremely grateful for as it was barely 5 minutes from my house), why can't you come to AZ?

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 03:04:41 PM »
If only Circus Maximus' singer would make something happen with his own band.   :\
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 04:13:26 PM »
While it really sucks Khan got sick, Im happy they are cancelling the tour instead of doing it with another singer. It really makes no sense since Khan is the best part about Kamelot.  Im glad to get my money back and will have problem paying to see them when all is well.  I just hope it isnt too far away since I had been anxiously awaiting the NYC show for many monthes.

Offline Adami

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »
I agree, I'm glad they postponed the tour. I spent 100 bucks on tickets/backstage pass. And I have no interest in seeing the CM singer or meeting him.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 04:42:21 PM »
If only Circus Maximus' singer would make something happen with his own band.   :\
Exactly!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 06:25:48 PM »
You can usually replace an instrumentalist on tour because all you have to do is find someone who can play (there are plenty), and have the original member help fill them out with things like tone and pedals (for guitar, think Metallica after Hetfield became the Human Torch).  Singers are very difficult to replace because vocals are very hard to reproduce.