Author Topic: Black Holes and Revelations  (Read 10711 times)

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
Re: Black Holes and Revelations
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2010, 05:45:05 AM »
Good album. Not great, but good. Certainly far better than Resistance.

I agree with Sigz.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2010, 06:24:56 AM »
One thing I'll never understand is how someone can love one Muse album and literally hate another. NONE OF THEM ARE THAT DIFFERENT. I'm just glad I'm not so outrageously picky and pedantic that it happens to me.

There weren't songs like "Supermassive Blackhole" on Absolution.

But, for me, Muse's last two records just seem to be completely lacking the kind of energy or hard-edge I like for in music. That's it, really.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2010, 06:42:59 AM »
Muse is too inconsistent in song quality for me to rank a CD next to another. Example look at The Resistance.

Uprising - Decent song. Kinda overplayed. But not a bad song.
Resistance - Very good song, fun and powerful.
Undisclosed Desires - Shit sandwich.
Eurasia - Love this song. The Collateral Damage bit seems unnecessary.
Guiding Light - Love this one as well.
Unnatural Selection - Great song.
MK Ultra - See Uprising.
I Belong To You - Eh... pass
Exogenesis - God tier. One of my top 10 songs ever.

Most Muse CDs would get a similar review. So I don't think I could ever say one is better than an other.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2010, 07:36:09 AM »
And the lyrics in both are just empty, oh so rebellious pomp rock drivel.

WELCOME TO MUSE HERE'S YOUR COPY OF CONSPIRACY THEORIES 101.  Seriously, if you're just complaining about those two songs being rebellious and whatnot, I think you need to look at the lyrics for the other four albums and see what's apparently been under your nose this whole time.

The thing about "Take a Bow" is that it is basically a very long crescendo.  It achieves in five minutes what bands like Symphony X would try to do in 20 minutes.  Its a very epic way to start the album, though I like it better as a closer, like on HAARP.  I'm not really sure how you people don't like Knights.

@Arriich: the difference between BH&R and The Resistance is that BH didn't really have a bad song.  The Resistance had Guiding Light, combined with a lot of subpar tracks and only a few great ones.  I'd listen to any song off BH before most songs off of The Resistance.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2010, 08:19:45 AM »
And the lyrics in both are just empty, oh so rebellious pomp rock drivel.

WELCOME TO MUSE HERE'S YOUR COPY OF CONSPIRACY THEORIES 101.  Seriously, if you're just complaining about those two songs being rebellious and whatnot, I think you need to look at the lyrics for the other four albums and see what's apparently been under your nose this whole time.
I'm fully aware most of their lyrics are like that. They're a band that has at times sat on the border of being chucked from my collection altogether for that reason, among others. But it's infinitely more irritating in those two songs because there's nothing to redeem them or distract me from it. Rather than taking something I normally wouldn't like and managing to make a good song out of it, as they often do, those two songs parade the qualities I don't like with what seems no attempt to make a good song.

And I already said more or less all of this in my last post in this thread.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2010, 08:24:10 AM »
Out of all the things I dislike about Muse-- especially their last two records-- the lyrics have never bothered me at all. I get that there's kinda an anti-authority vibe going on, but it's so harmless and poppy that, really, who cares?

Or am I missing something?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2010, 08:33:45 AM »
Listened to this from start to finish last night for the first time in a while, and I was reminded that it is definitely Muse's best record to date.  Every song is great.  There are no weak spots, and I refuse to trust the opinion of anyone who says otherwise. :biggrin:

While I love the album, my favorite Muse album in fact, Invincible is definitely a weak spot.

"Invincible" is great, although I can see why some might not like the somewhat cheesy vibe of a ballad-type song like that.

Though strangely I seem to be the only one who likes Invincible.

Did you miss the first post of the thread where I said that every song on BH&R is great? :p

Origin, I think, is fairly mid-range. There are lots of good songs, but there's not much variety. Not in the same league as Absolution or Black Holes. Origin sounds like a slew of brilliant rock songs. (And New Born, especially, is truly... astonishing!) They don't quite have the extra spice of A/BHR.

Not much variety?  I totally disagree.  It has the usual rockers, some great laid back mellow tunes, and I can't think of any other songs they have done that are like "Space Dementia" and "Darkshines."  When it comes to the variety factor alone, OoS tops them all, IMO. :)

@Arriich: the difference between BH&R and The Resistance is that BH didn't really have a bad song.  The Resistance had Guiding Light, combined with a lot of subpar tracks and only a few great ones.  I'd listen to any song off BH before most songs off of The Resistance.

Agreed, for the most part.  I think The Resistance really only has two subpar songs ("Guiding Light" and "MK Ultra"), but I think you pretty much nailed it.  "I Belong to You" is still all kinds of awesome, though. :tup :tup

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2010, 08:40:39 AM »
Out of all the things I dislike about Muse-- especially their last two records-- the lyrics have never bothered me at all. I get that there's kinda an anti-authority vibe going on, but it's so harmless and poppy that, really, who cares?

Or am I missing something?
Their way of doing it often comes across to me as one-dimensional and put on. But you're right, despite the album themes and all that, I don't think they're the type of band where you're supposed to look much further than the surface. They're a band making music more on the fun side rather than trying to make serious statements. Which is why, like Queen, as long as I feel the songs are good, I try to enjoy it for what it is.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2010, 08:46:48 AM »
I agree with Ariich..........I think The Resistance is an awesome record.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2010, 08:55:25 AM »
I don't understand what point you're making here. ???

@Arriich: the difference between BH&R and The Resistance is that BH didn't really have a bad song.  The Resistance had Guiding Light, combined with a lot of subpar tracks and only a few great ones.  I'd listen to any song off BH before most songs off of The Resistance.
Guiding Light is indeed pretty bad, but BH&R had Invincible which isn't far off. And I disagree about subpar tracks; to me aside from the 'bad' song from each album The Resistance is much stronger, and might have been in my top 2 Muse albums had it not been for GL. :lol

But anyway that's exactly my point, each album has stronger songs and weaker ones, heavier ones and poppier ones, etc. Which is why I understand why some people will prefer different albums. For example Absolution is one of my all-time favourites, but I find BH&R weaker in comparison (and The Resistance a slightly step back up again), but that doesn't mean I hate it and rant about Muse being rubbish these days. The amount of overreaction I saw when both BH&R and Resistance came out was pretty hilarious.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2010, 08:58:05 AM »
For my money, the only subpar songs from the three-album run of OoS, Abs. and BH&R were "Sing for Absolution" and "The Small Print."  And neither was bad; they were just far below the level of every other song from those three records.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2010, 09:02:46 AM »
For my money, the only subpar songs from the three-album run of OoS, Abs. and BH&R were "Sing for Absolution" and "The Small Print."  And neither was bad; they were just far below the level of every other song from those three records.
I really like TSP and Sing for Absolution is one of my favourites. :lol

Ah well, each to their own.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2010, 09:03:02 AM »
I agree on The Small Print, and I'd add Thoughts of a Dying Atheist, but I quite like Sing for Absolution.

Although I think it's their strongest album, I don't care so much for OoS after Screenager. The songs aren't crap or anything, they just gradually start to head into more average territory.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2010, 11:55:47 AM »
Origin, I think, is fairly mid-range. There are lots of good songs, but there's not much variety. Not in the same league as Absolution or Black Holes. Origin sounds like a slew of brilliant rock songs. (And New Born, especially, is truly... astonishing!) They don't quite have the extra spice of A/BHR.

Not much variety?  I totally disagree.  It has the usual rockers, some great laid back mellow tunes, and I can't think of any other songs they have done that are like "Space Dementia" and "Darkshines."  When it comes to the variety factor alone, OoS tops them all, IMO. :)
Maybe I'm just more susceptible to superficial changes. I'm blinded by the aesthetic. To me, between Apocalypse Please, Time is Running Out, Endlessly and Stockholm Syndrome, Absolution demonstrates more versatility than the whole of Origin. BHAR takes it to the next level. City of Delusion, Supermassive Black Hole and Knights of Cydonia have got very distinct flavours.

Origin's more... they're all fairly heavy rockers, augmented with an ambitious serving of classical piano. There's a bit of a spanish thing towards the end of the album - Screenager & Darkshines, etc. - but I think it's more uniform in its colour. I'd put New Born, Bliss, Hyper Music, Plug-in Baby, Micro Cuts and possibly Citizen Erased into about the same box, and that's half the album. But again, I could just be finding myself blinded by the fairly superficial "ooh, this one has a fuzzy bassline, lovely" variety of production from Absolution onwards. Origin has a lot of different approaches to songwriting, and various structures. Actually, structurally it's one of the more ambitious, which is something I quite like about it. Being a mid-range Muse album is no bad thing, in my book.

Ohhh, I dunno! Undisclosed Desires is nigh-on R&B. Absolution sounds very classical in places, whereas Resistance is more eighties synthy...
What? :lol I get the impression you're basing these descriptions on one song each (Butterflies & Hurricanes and Uprising). You're absolutely right that Muse have a ton of variety, but they always have done with the possible exception of OoS which was a bit more straightforward stylistically, and they are like that on each and every album. Each album has a couple of rockers, at least one song more classical in nature, one or two ballads, one or two pop songs.
I've kinda covered my attitude to it above with versatility, easily amused, etc., but Absolutionwise, I'd argue that Apocalypse Please, Ruled by Secrecy and Blackout are fairly heavily classically influenced, whereas Interlude is, natch, Adagio for Strings.

Obviously everyone is going to prefer some albums over others, that's not what I'm referring to. I'm referring to comments along the lines of "Black Holes was incredible but The Resistance is the biggest shitfest ever" (nothing specific in this thread, but it's the kind of comment you hear occasionally). Considering how similar the two albums are in so many regards, the breadth of this difference is what astonishes me and leads me to feel like the two albums are not being judged by the same criteria.
I think that's a fairly common symptom of fandom, mind. I do think Muse have got a particularly atrocious fanbase, but yeah, I'd agree with that. I think part of it is getting their hopes up. The new one's always the Scrappy that ruined it all and raped their uncle and didn't have enough guitar solos or a nineteen minute sequel to New Born and it ran over their cat and it was probably deliberate, too, if only Warner stopped meddling blah blah blah moan moan moan.

I may have spent too much time reading news comments on Muselive.

EDIT: Oh and I don't really get the UD=RnB thing (my brother said it as well). Sure the drum beat is somewhat lifted from that style of music, but I've honestly never heard an RnB song that sounds like UD. Although if there are any I'd love someone to point them out because I don't really have any RnB in my music collection but UD is one of my favourite Muse songs!
Ahhh, disagree! I think that it shares a lot more with R&B than any other genre. Not an indictment, I love Undisclosed, me. But I'm surprised you can't hear it. The processed-sounding drums are a fair start, but on top of that there's the complete absence of any guitar, the sparseness of the bass and the sheer density of the synthesisers. Layer upon layer of production. The emphasis is on the vocals, too, to carry the melody. I'd say they're all hallmarks of R&B. I'm no expert on urban music, so I might be mixing genres, but it's not got much in common with rock music. Which is great! Nice. 'Citing. I can see why people would dislike it, but that's fine. All the more for me.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 12:02:43 PM by robwebster »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2010, 12:18:34 PM »
Yeah I don't think you're thinking of R&B there Rob, can't say I've ever heard any of it with such warm synths (which remind me of 70s prog artists) and big layered vocal harmonies (again the 70s thing going on there). The lack of guitar is unusual for a rock band (though they've always done non-rock songs: Unintended, Endlessly, Soldier's Poem), I'll give you that, but it isn't unique to R&B, most pop music lacks guitar.

But again, that's only from what I've heard. If there is R&B out there that sounds like UD I would absolutely love to find it, because that's one of the few genres I've struggled to find much good stuff in.

I've kinda covered my attitude to it above with versatility, easily amused, etc., but Absolutionwise, I'd argue that Apocalypse Please, Ruled by Secrecy and Blackout are fairly heavily classically influenced, whereas Interlude is, natch, Adagio for Strings.
I'm with you on those, but you seemed to imply that the album is more classically influenced than most other Muse albums. Resistance has all 3 tracks of Exogenesis, the Chopin at the end of USE and the Saints-Saens in the middle of I Belong to You. OoS has a big classical influence in Space Dementia and Megalomania, and to a lesser extent bits of Citizen Erased. BH&R is probably their least classically influenced album, but even that has the Tchaikovsky piano chords in Hoodoo as well as a few smaller influences. My point is, all these elements have always been a part of Muse's sound.

Although having said all that, I think we actually generally agree with each other, because of the following:

I think that's a fairly common symptom of fandom, mind. I do think Muse have got a particularly atrocious fanbase, but yeah, I'd agree with that. I think part of it is getting their hopes up. The new one's always the Scrappy that ruined it all and raped their uncle and didn't have enough guitar solos or a nineteen minute sequel to New Born and it ran over their cat and it was probably deliberate, too, if only Warner stopped meddling blah blah blah moan moan moan.
Couldn't agree more. As I've said, we all recognise when a new album is less good than the previous one, I felt that way when BH&R came out, but I still recognised that it's a good album, mostly along the lines of other Muse albums. But the outrage of some other fans at the time was just infuriating, considering how minor the differences were over the album to previous ones. As you say, it's probably largely in part due to expectations and expecting something to be perfect on the first listen, which obviously won't be the case with intelligent and diverse albums such as those Muse create. Happens with so many bands, and it always bugs me that people can't be a bit more open minded.

I think I spend too long reading your posts Rob, mine are getting nearly as long as yours. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2010, 04:42:41 PM »
I don't understand what point you're making here. ???

You said you didn't understand how people could like one Muse album and not the others. In a roundabout way, I'm pointing out that there was nothing anywhere near as outrageusly fruity on Absolution.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2010, 05:17:43 PM »
The Resistance is my favorite Muse album yet. I've always been a fan, and The Resistance definately took some time getting into, but I'd say it's their most tasteful record. Though I absolutely can't stand 'Guiding Light'.

TR
Absolution
OoS
BH&R
Showbiz

Though I can't say the albums differ much in quality (except for Showbiz). I don't like TR a whole lot more than BH&R. They're all great, and on all albums there are at least 2 tracks I really don't care for. The Resistance has only one, PLUS it has two of my favorite Muse songs, 'The Resistance' and the three part symphony.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2010, 10:58:52 PM »
Ah well, each to their own.

Indeed. :)

Not much variety?  I totally disagree.  It has the usual rockers, some great laid back mellow tunes, and I can't think of any other songs they have done that are like "Space Dementia" and "Darkshines."  When it comes to the variety factor alone, OoS tops them all, IMO. :)
Maybe I'm just more susceptible to superficial changes. I'm blinded by the aesthetic. To me, between Apocalypse Please, Time is Running Out, Endlessly and Stockholm Syndrome, Absolution demonstrates more versatility than the whole of Origin. BHAR takes it to the next level. City of Delusion, Supermassive Black Hole and Knights of Cydonia have got very distinct flavours.

Origin's more... they're all fairly heavy rockers, augmented with an ambitious serving of classical piano. There's a bit of a spanish thing towards the end of the album - Screenager & Darkshines, etc. - but I think it's more uniform in its colour. I'd put New Born, Bliss, Hyper Music, Plug-in Baby, Micro Cuts and possibly Citizen Erased into about the same box, and that's half the album. But again, I could just be finding myself blinded by the fairly superficial "ooh, this one has a fuzzy bassline, lovely" variety of production from Absolution onwards. Origin has a lot of different approaches to songwriting, and various structures. Actually, structurally it's one of the more ambitious, which is something I quite like about it. Being a mid-range Muse album is no bad thing, in my book.

Very interesting way of looking at it.  Whether I agree or not, I like your perspective. :tup :tup

As for the classical piano stuff, I love when they do that stuff.  It gives their music an almost romantic feel.  Very cool stuff. :coolio

In a roundabout way, I'm pointing out that there was nothing anywhere near as outrageusly fruity on Absolution.

Outrageously fruity?  What does that even mean? ???

Though I can't say the albums differ much in quality (except for Showbiz). I don't like TR a whole lot more than BH&R. They're all great, and on all albums there are at least 2 tracks I really don't care for. The Resistance has only one, PLUS it has two of my favorite Muse songs, 'The Resistance' and the three part symphony.

I have really grown to love "Resistance" like crazy; terrific song!  Really, if I listen to the first four songs and the last four songs from TR, I have no problem with it at all.  It is just that the middle of it that drags it down.  Granted, the first part of "Unnatural Selection" is killer, but it gets a little less interesting once they slow it down, and it was unfortunately sandwiched between the album's two subpar tunes.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2010, 10:59:56 PM »
Just finished listening to this album again thanks to this thread.  Its still a great album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2010, 11:20:54 PM »
Awesome. :hat

Oh, and I cannot remember if anyone has mentioned it yet, but we have to give some love to "Glorious," the bonus track.  That is one of my favorite Muse songs to drive to. :metal

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2010, 05:11:39 AM »
Awesome. :hat

Oh, and I cannot remember if anyone has mentioned it yet, but we have to give some love to "Glorious," the bonus track.  That is one of my favorite Muse songs to drive to. :metal

Great song! Though I understand why they left it off of the album. Sounds like it could've been on Absolution.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2010, 07:14:55 AM »
  In a roundabout way, I'm pointing out that there was nothing anywhere near as outrageusly fruity on Absolution.

I have a hard time believing that you really have no idea what I mean.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2010, 07:58:59 AM »

One of my friend's thought that TCOT had some parts that sounded like "Glorious."  Name the arpeggios in the intro.  I lol'd, then stuffed him in some wine barrels.

Glorious is a great song btw.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2010, 08:09:25 AM »
Map of the Problematique spoke to me more than any song during my depression, and it still is a very personal song to me.
Black Holes and Revelations is a really important album to me. And certainly Muse's best.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline jag66

« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
slightly off topic, but fave muse songs?

I'd go

Showbiz, plug in baby, bliss, butterflies & hurricanes, knights of cydonia..
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 12:37:08 PM by jag66 »

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
Brilliant album. Probably helps that I saw the first 4 tracks plus KOC live on Saturday.  :hat

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2010, 10:16:08 AM »

I have a hard time believing that you really have no idea what I mean.

I know what you think it probably means, but it makes no sense to me.  How is "Supermassive Black Hole" outrageously fruity? 

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2010, 10:41:37 AM »
Maybe when you're not so quick to imply that I don't "know" what I really mean, I'll talk about it with you! As for now, nope, not gonna play this game (again).  ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2010, 11:43:36 AM »
Have it your way ;), but I think you are being outrageously fruity. :p :biggrin:

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2010, 12:37:55 PM »
Jesus Steven Wilson Christ if you think SBH is gay, then call it gay instead of using middle school slang for it! 

I have a feeling its "fruity" because its 1. poppy, 2. dancey, and 3. on the Twilight soundtrack.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2010, 06:59:14 PM »
Jesus Steven Wilson Christ if you think SBH is gay, then call it gay instead of using middle school slang for it! 

No, because then it becomes a matter of, "Look at PC for example. Everyone who doesn't like BH&R must be a homophobe!"  :lol

I'll put it this way: usually, in rock and metal, I look for a distinct kind of "hard-edge." That doesn't necessarily rule out the occasional pop song, but SMBH just sounds like it was written for Britney Spears to sing it while making suggestive poses. I don't like it.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2010, 07:10:59 PM »

No, because then it becomes a matter of, "Look at PC for example. Everyone who doesn't like BH&R must be a homophobe!"  :lol

I'll put it this way: usually, in rock and metal, I look for a distinct kind of "hard-edge." That doesn't necessarily rule out the occasional pop song, but SMBH just sounds like it was written for Britney Spears to sing it while making suggestive poses. I don't like it.

:facepalm:
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2010, 07:34:33 PM »
See. This is why I don't bother trying.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2010, 08:06:03 PM »

So you like your rock and metal to have balls, but not in a totally non-gay way.

Got it.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2010, 08:37:21 PM »
You guys are the ones that brought gay into it, not me. It's just when I hear grown men singing "Oh baby can't you hear me moan" in unnaturally high-pitched voices, I know what I'm listening to isn't for me. Hell, the idea of listening to other men "moan" at all is totally not on my list of things I want to do. But hey, if you like it, that's all that counts!

Jeez.