Author Topic: Best Metal Band of the Past 20 Years  (Read 38626 times)

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
Re: Best Metal Band of the Past 20 Years
« Reply #210 on: September 08, 2010, 10:55:57 AM »
I meant power metal.  Sorry.

But I'm not necessarily trying to pigeonhole them into a specific subgenre either.  That's overly artificial, not to mention pointless.  But calling them progressive metal just seems odd to me when neither the band nor the majority of their fans would even for a moment consider them progressive metal.
I wouldn't want to pigeonhole them into the progressive metal genre either. I'd prefer to call them a combination of the two Progressive Power Metal (in the same way Opeth is Progressive Death Metal)

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #211 on: September 08, 2010, 12:48:19 PM »
I agree Symph X is not symphonic metal. They have times where the keys are playing some strings, but that's it. Hardly symphonic.

I'd call them Neo Classical Metal.
They were back when they released V but not so much anymore IMO.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #212 on: September 08, 2010, 03:05:35 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nu_metal

Nu metal (or nü metal[4] or aggro-metal[5][6]) is a subgenre [7] of heavy metal.

:neverusethis:

lol @ wikipedia being a valid source
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #213 on: September 08, 2010, 03:07:09 PM »

Nu metal (or nü metal[4] or aggro-metal[5][6]) is a subgenre [7] of heavy metal.

lol @ your opinion being one

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #214 on: September 08, 2010, 03:08:25 PM »

I dunno why everyone shits on Wikipedia like that considering if you're not retarded you can tell when someone has fucked with an entry or if information looks off. Plus there's a reason there are links to the sources.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #215 on: September 08, 2010, 03:14:20 PM »

I dunno why everyone shits on Wikipedia like that considering if you're not retarded you can tell when someone has fucked with an entry or if information looks off. Plus there's a reason there are links to the sources.

Wikipedia claims RHCP to be "Funk Metal". If that's not reason enough to discredit wikipedia on genre discussions, I don't know what is.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #216 on: September 08, 2010, 03:17:09 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hot_Chili_Peppers

Red Hot Chili Peppers is an American funk rock band formed in Los Angeles in 1983.

lolwut? The 'rap rock' genre is a little odd, though.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #217 on: September 09, 2010, 07:15:39 AM »
It's frustrating how many of these bands there are that are musically fantastic but offputting vocally in some way.
I've said this tons of times, but this is just the way metal has gone in the past decade. I mean, obvious generalisation, but you're just not metal enough today unless you grunt, growl, scream or squeal like a pig.

Offline ehra

« Reply #218 on: September 09, 2010, 07:22:30 AM »

Because it's easier to attack the source than the argument.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #219 on: September 09, 2010, 07:30:33 AM »
Opeth, Neurosis and Pantera are at the top for me.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #220 on: September 09, 2010, 10:37:19 AM »

When part of your (Not necessarily you, but sdn posted it) argument is a wikipedia link and it becomes obvious that wikipedia fails at genres (Funk Metal? Are you shitting me? And I thought Speed Metal was dumb.), it doesn't help your argument.

Offline ehra

« Reply #221 on: September 09, 2010, 10:48:27 AM »

When part of your (Not necessarily you, but sdn posted it) argument is a wikipedia link and it becomes obvious that wikipedia fails at genres (Funk Metal? Are you shitting me? And I thought Speed Metal was dumb.), it doesn't help your argument.

Wikipedia doesn't invent genres.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #222 on: September 09, 2010, 10:51:05 AM »

Then how does "Funk Metal" come up when there is obviously no such thing?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: September 09, 2010, 10:52:32 AM »
Funk metal is a semi-well established term. I've seen it used several times in several contexts in several places.

That being said, it's still stupid.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline ehra

« Reply #224 on: September 09, 2010, 10:54:50 AM »

If it's "obviously no such thing" then how can they have a list of sources at the bottom of the page?

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #225 on: September 09, 2010, 11:02:05 AM »
Funk metal is a semi-well established term. I've seen it used several times in several contexts in several places.

That being said, it's still stupid.
I think Mr. Bungle first album is considered "funk metal"...but IMO it's more an avant-garde record.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #226 on: September 09, 2010, 11:02:25 AM »

If it's "obviously no such thing" then how can they have a list of sources at the bottom of the page?

*Checks sources*

*allmusic*

Maybe the sources are just... wrong? No offense, but I wouldn't trust allmusic's opinions on music even if I got a free blowjob for it.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #227 on: September 09, 2010, 11:03:43 AM »
Because we all know there's an objective truth about genres.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #228 on: September 09, 2010, 11:07:02 AM »
Because we all know there's an objective truth about genres.
In a sense, yes. Genres exist to describe various qualities of a style of music. Whether one likes those qualities or not, the genre still exists.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #229 on: September 09, 2010, 11:08:34 AM »
Fishbone is funk metal and fishbone is much more.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #230 on: September 09, 2010, 11:10:26 AM »

Did you completely miss:

Red Hot Chili Peppers is an American funk rock band formed in Los Angeles in 1983.

You know, where I checked your claim and it turns out you're not right?

Offline ehra

« Reply #231 on: September 09, 2010, 11:13:09 AM »
*Checks sources*

*allmusic*

Maybe the sources are just... wrong? No offense, but I wouldn't trust allmusic's opinions on music even if I got a free blowjob for it.

Which is fine, but you can't expect people to just take your word for it when you claim that a respected musical guide is wrong and you're right without any backing argument or source.

Back to the subject of Nu Metal, it looks like there was someone arguing the same thing you are in one of the old discussion pages. It's under Sources and Slant:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Nu_metal/Archive_5

It basically came down to "sources; site them."

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #232 on: September 09, 2010, 11:14:27 AM »

Did you completely miss:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funk_Metal

It very clearly says RHCP is on there. I'm guessing you're referring to RHCP's page, right? Well, its wikipedia so I'm not surprised it lacks consistency. At first I didn't even know what you were talking about.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #233 on: September 09, 2010, 11:16:15 AM »

Did you completely miss:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funk_Metal

It very clearly says RHCP is on there. I'm guessing you're referring to RHCP's page, right? Well, its wikipedia so I'm not surprised it lacks consistency. At first I didn't even know what you were talking about.
There is a huge difference about being in the funk metal page and being listed in their own page as "funk metal"! They may only have elements of funk and metal and be listed there...

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #234 on: September 09, 2010, 11:21:40 AM »
*Checks sources*

*allmusic*

Which is fine, but you can't expect people to just take your word for it when you claim that a respected musical guide is wrong and you're right without any backing argument or source.

Back to the subject of Nu Metal, it looks like there was someone arguing the same thing you are in one of the old discussion pages. It's under Sources and Slant:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Nu_metal/Archive_5

It basically came down to "sources; site them."

That's the thing, anyone can come up with random sources that arbitrarily support their opinion while lacking neutrality. And more often than not, wikipedia seems to accept those kinds of sources, especially on music. Which is why I tend to lol at using wikipedia as a source in a musical argument.
Not to mention I have a sneaking suspicion that most of these "Respected Musical Guides" know very little about music (Especially more underground styles of music) that they talk about.

Its probably not the most convincing thing, but Nu-metal simply sounds closer to Hard Rock to me than it does Metal.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #235 on: September 09, 2010, 11:22:58 AM »
Whether you are right or wrong, you are completely derailing the thread wiht this discussion.  Can we get back on topic?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #236 on: September 09, 2010, 11:26:50 AM »
Whether you are right or wrong, you are completely derailing the thread wiht this discussion.  Can we get back on topic?
Sorry, you're right.  :loser:

Just something that tends to grab my attention quite a bit.

Back on topic, I still say Slough Feg. I'd love to say Cormorant because their debut makes me all kinds of hot (Best release of 2009 imo), but its just one album by them so I'd need more from them to say Cormorant.

But Slough Feg has never disappointed me, and I much prefer them to the other top runners in this topic, so Slough Feg it is.