Author Topic: Do you think rock music right now is stagnant?  (Read 16644 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Do you think rock music right now is stagnant?
« on: August 30, 2010, 05:42:49 PM »
Watching 100 greatest hard rock songs right now, talking about Nirvana changed the scene of rock out of the 80s with the stagnant hair band sound.  Most of new rock that's coming out just either sounds emoish or is trying to sound like Nickelback.  Both are bad in my mind.  It's just stagnant.  We need another Nirvana.  Anyone agree?
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
Re: Do you think rock music right now is stagnant?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 05:44:45 PM »
I agree. There's probably more music I'm interested in out right now than there ever has been, but it's not being listened to by enough people at all.

Offline True Death of Life

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 05:45:53 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of Nirvana, but I don't think that's what you're getting at. I do agree that we need someone to step up and break through all the same, unoriginal crap that every band is "composing".

I was just talking about this today and I said that it seems that Shinedown and Seether may be the only saving graces, and that's not very promising.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 05:47:53 PM »
I must agree. Similarly to Marvellous G, I believe that there's more better new music now than there has ever been in the past, but there needs to be someone that pushes to the mainstream and shakes things up a bit.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 05:48:51 PM »
Don't know, don't care. There's tons of awesome music out there and that number seems to only be growing, so I can't complain.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 05:50:26 PM »
Don't know, don't care. There's tons of awesome music out there and that number seems to only be growing, so I can't complain.
Basically this. The music that I listen to can stay underground and I don't really care. I know it will always be there.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 05:53:09 PM »
Basically this. The music that I listen to can stay underground and I don't really care. I know it will always be there.

But don't you wish other people knew too?

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 05:56:39 PM »

Yes, definitely, and I don't see how someone couldn't wish that about music they loved. I'd at least like it to get a little more respect.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 05:57:11 PM »
No. If they want to find this music they can find it themselves... It's not exactly difficult to find.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 06:05:02 PM »
With the way the internet has become so prominent, I don't think the "underground" really exists at all anymore. What we label as underground isn't necessarily what would have been called underground just a few decades ago. For example, bands like Porcupine Tree and Riverside could probably be considered underground, but both have rabid and devoted fanbases that cause the bands to do just fine for themselves with little to no mainstream exposure. Thanks in large part to the internet. If you ask me, we need a new term to replace the old and tired-out "underground" because it has basically lost its original meaning.

I know this doesn't answer the question posed in the OP; sorry about that.

Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 06:07:03 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of Nirvana, but I don't think that's what you're getting at. I do agree that we need someone to step up and break through all the same, unoriginal crap that every band is "composing".

I was just talking about this today and I said that it seems that Shinedown and Seether may be the only saving graces, and that's not very promising.

Seether?

Shine down, yeah, but Seether?

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 06:09:15 PM »
For example, bands like Porcupine Tree and Riverside could probably be considered underground, but both have rabid and devoted fanbases that cause the bands to do just fine for themselves with little to no mainstream exposure.
This is what an underground fanbase really is. They don't have any mainstream exposure yet stay alive without most people's knowledge.

Oh, and Seether sucks. Shinedown is good.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 06:19:03 PM by zxlkho »
I AM A GUY

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 06:48:48 PM »
If Shinedown and Seether are the only saving graces, Rock music might as well just shrivel up and die now.

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 06:58:47 PM »
If Shinedown and Seether are the only saving graces, Rock music might as well just shrivel up and die now.

My thoughts in less-nicer words.

Yes, definitely, and I don't see how someone couldn't wish that about music they loved. I'd at least like it to get a little more respect.

^This 100%.  I'm not asking everyone to love my music, but people accepting it would be great.

No. If they want to find this music they can find it themselves... It's not exactly difficult to find.

But what if they would never look it up in the 1st place? I mean, how many peopl do you know that would randomly type "Dream Theater" into Google?

I get what you're saying and maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but not many people are going to get into a band without it being fed to them.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 07:03:18 PM »
I don't think its too bad.  There are still bands making decent mainstream rock.  The two that come to mind after reading the thread title are Kings of Leon and Muse.  Not a huge fan of either of those bands but what I have heard I like enough.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 07:08:29 PM »
But what if they would never look it up in the 1st place? I mean, how many peopl do you know that would randomly type "Dream Theater" into Google?

I get what you're saying and maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but not many people are going to get into a band without it being fed to them.
I think that if someone really wanted to find this underground music, it's not really that hard to find. Most people don't take music seriously, but if they do they will usually find what they are looking for fairly easily.
I AM A GUY

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 07:17:09 PM »
It's a shame Alter Bridge hasn't been mentioned, but Seether has? If rock right now is stagnant, it's because great rock bands like Alter Bridge aren't getting the praise and attention they deserve to have, but bands like Seether (no offense to anyone who likes these guys) are.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 07:18:53 PM »
No, I think it's more just that "great" and "Alter Bridge" don't belong in the same sentence.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 07:20:33 PM »
 :|

Alter Bridge is fantastic.
I AM A GUY

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 07:21:15 PM »
No, I think it's more just that "great" and "Alter Bridge" don't belong in the same sentence.

Them are fightin' words right there, Mr. Bosk
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 07:27:40 PM by Accelerando »

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 07:28:43 PM »
Alter Bridge, Shinedown and Kings of Leon are good as far as mainstream rock goes. It ends there.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 07:30:17 PM »
:|

I.... I..... I don't even.... wat

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 07:30:52 PM »
:lol  Yeah, I think they're a good band, actually.  I never saw any reason to be blown away by them, but they are a good band.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 07:37:25 PM »

I think that if someone really wanted to find this underground music, it's not really that hard to find. Most people don't take music seriously, but if they do they will usually find what they are looking for fairly easily.

What I meant was, what if they weren't even looking for it? I mena, when you turn on the radio, you can change the station, but you can't choose what music you'll be exposed to.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 07:54:52 PM »
The last big mainstream rock revolution to me was back with OK Computer and Kid A earlier last decade.  Before that it was Nirvana.  Now the mainstream rock scene is kind of samey, but underground and lesser-known bands can write great music that may not get huge radio attention, but will amass a sizable fanbase with the help of the Internet.  For example, Vampire Weekend has some of the most musically unique pop/rock tunes out there right now, and they're already pretty popular.  There's a reason DT and PT are becoming more and more popular with mainstream press and sales.

Still, to see another big musical upheaval would be a welcome sight.  There's a quote from Matt Bellamy in a Prog magazine that says "Rock music is one of the most conservative genres right now when it really shouldn't be."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2010, 07:59:16 PM »
I think because radio has gone by the wayside that we all think like this.  Years ago you found out new music because of radio. Now, because of big buisness, you only hear the same 5 songs from a bands catalog.  The internet is a great source for people to find something new.  BTW, Is there a videostation that plays music only anymore.  Hello MTV and VH1.  Stop with the movies and play concerts dammit.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 08:33:19 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2010, 08:29:38 PM »
To answer the thread title...no.  There is more experimentation going on in rock than there ever has been.  I will agree that you couldn't tell that by just listening to the radio though.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2010, 08:40:29 PM »
Don't know, don't care. There's tons of awesome music out there, so I can't complain.
This is pretty much how I feel now. There's a decent amount of good rock music around, more than I can keep up with. If most people don't want to listen to it, and radio stations don't want to play it, screw them.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2010, 08:42:55 PM »
Not even close. There are plenty of amazing modern bands out there write now who are churning out wonderful music. I'd say a good portion of my favorites bands are more modern, though it's doubtful you'll hear any of them on a top 40 radio station.

Personally, I think Nirvana sucks, so I couldn't care less if no band ever tries to come along and replicate them. As for Seether.... seriously? Uh, ok.

As for good mainstream bands, I think Muse and Radiohead are certainly worthy of that title. You could argue that Megadeth are more or less mainstream, considering their last 3 albums alone have broken into the top 10 on the billboard charts. They still sound as good as ever to me. Hell, "Black Clouds & Silver Linings" debuted at number 5 or 6 on the billboard 200.

There are lots of great bands out there; you just need to look beyond what's being played on the radio and at dance clubs.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2010, 08:46:05 PM »
Personally, I think Nirvana sucks, so I couldn't care less if no band ever tries to come along and replicate them.
No-one is saying someone should.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2010, 08:54:41 PM »
Where they debut isn't proof of mainstream. Staying on the chart for many, many weeks does.  Which still doesn't mater if it's good or not, just that it's popular.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2010, 09:13:19 PM »
I don't think its too bad.  There are still bands making decent mainstream rock.  The two that come to mind after reading the thread title are Kings of Leon and Muse.  Not a huge fan of either of those bands but what I have heard I like enough.

Agreed on both.  KoL is what more modern rock should sound like.  Alter Bridge is awesome too.  Shinedown is good, but nothing that blows me away.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 09:42:43 PM »

Also, :

That's all I have to say about today's music.

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2010, 09:44:19 PM »
:clap:

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2010, 09:46:52 PM »