Author Topic: Gildenlow  (Read 2961 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Gildenlow
« on: August 24, 2010, 08:51:08 AM »
Not really a fan of his stuff, and not overly familiar other than sampling a few things here and there.  I thought he did a fastastic job filling in on the last two TA tours.  I also got to meet him briefly after the TA show in Downey.  He seemed really humble and down to earth, but also shy and introverted.  Not sure if that's truly his personality, or if it was more of a language barrier issue.  What prompted the thread is just that I was remembering he was asked to sing some leads at some of the TA shows in Europe and declined.  Anyone have any thoughts as to why?  Interesting to me to see how TA has kind of evolved.  I think it was easy to see Neal as kind of the lead guy early on since he did all the vocals and seemed to be the band's spokesperson and was at the forefront of it all.  On Bridge, there was more a shift to let the other members become more prominently visible, and that trend continued on Whirlwind.  Any one of those guys could easily hog the spotlight if they chose, but they all seem eager to share, even to the point of listing Gildenlow as a member on all the tour merchandise.  I think it would have been really cool to have him take over some lead duties, especially for the live release.  I just don't know why he didn't.  Any thoughts?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline FinkPloyd

Re: Gildenlow
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 08:53:15 AM »
Who is Gildenlow? :neverusethis:

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 08:54:27 AM »
He was? Damn, I'd love to see him nail some of the leads in TA.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 08:56:14 AM »
Dunno about the rest of the European tour, but at the London show he definitely sang one lead line. If he was offered more than that but declined, it might be because it's not his band and he doesn't want to appear to be butting in too much.

People think of him as arrogant and pretentious for some reason, but everything I've seen of him (apart from his hatred of the Bush administration, which let's be fair he was hardly alone in) indicates he's a pretty nice guy.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 09:00:14 AM »
Dunno about the rest of the European tour, but at the London show he definitely sang one lead line. If he was offered more than that but declined, it might be because it's not his band and he doesn't want to appear to be butting in too much.

People think of him as arrogant and pretentious for some reason, but everything I've seen of him (apart from his hatred of the Bush administration, which let's be fair he was hardly alone in) indicates he's a pretty nice guy.
Exactly this.

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 09:05:24 AM »

He has said some stuff about other bands that wasn't very nice. I think it was Amon Amarth. He said that bands like them are the downfall of music of something like that.

The reason most people think he's pretentious is probably the fact that he created BE, which most people find very pretentious. I'm not sure why, regarding the amount of research DG put into it. It's also very easy to label someone who's just very good at things as arrogant.

EDIT: Oh, and he also said something along the lines of "Our music is good, you guys just don't get it" when they lost the song festival. I think he was right, but his statement could be labeled as arrogant.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 09:10:49 AM by In The Name Of Rudess »

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 09:08:55 AM »
It's also very easy to label someone who's just very good at things as arrogant.

Yep. He's very confident, but it's not unfounded.

But yeah, it was Amon Amarth he was badmouthing. Something along the lines of "people listen to Amon Amarth and vote for Bush, this is what's wrong with humanity". I think people took it a bit too seriously/blew it out of proportion, and it's not like people here don't say the same thing about pop music daily. :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 10:28:48 AM »
Maybe he didn't sing because his voice wasn't 100%.  Maybe he had previous engagements for a couple of shows in Europe and couldn't participate.  Pure speculation, but I would venture that a pragmatic reason is more likely than the "he didn't want to seem pretentious / butting in" scenario.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 10:40:26 AM »
Maybe he didn't sing because his voice wasn't 100%.  Maybe he had previous engagements for a couple of shows in Europe and couldn't participate.  Pure speculation, but I would venture that a pragmatic reason is more likely than the "he didn't want to seem pretentious / butting in" scenario.
I don't think so. In interviews concerning Transatlantic he always seems humble and respectful.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 01:58:53 PM »
Gildenlöw is pretty much the best them.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 02:25:51 PM »
Gildenlöw is pretty much the best them.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 05:04:51 PM »
It's also very easy to label someone who's just very good at things as arrogant.

Yep. He's very confident, but it's not unfounded.

But yeah, it was Amon Amarth he was badmouthing. Something along the lines of "people listen to Amon Amarth and vote for Bush, this is what's wrong with humanity". I think people took it a bit too seriously/blew it out of proportion, and it's not like people here don't say the same thing about pop music daily. :lol
That was it? :lol I would bet good money on the people who call him arrogant for that say considerably worse things about bands they dislike.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 05:12:25 PM »
Gildenlow also frequently states Pain of Salvation's music to be better than most out there today.

And while arrogant I completely agree so it doesn't bother me :neverusethis:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 05:14:22 PM »
Where does he do this? I've never seen or heard an interview/chat/whatever where he has said it.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 05:23:55 PM »
I don't have any links, but if I come across them again I'll send them to you. Sometime before Be came out there was an interview where someone asked what his least favorite of his own albums was, and his answer was something along the lines of "Probably OHBTCL, it just doesn't seem as unique as the others. Not to say it's bad, it's still better than most music today", and another video I saw on YouTube promoting Scarsick before it came out where he said the same thing.

Of course I'm fairly certain those answers were tongue in cheek, but it won't stop people who don't like Gildenlow from making a huge deal out of it anyway ;)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 05:28:08 PM »
Where does he do this? I've never seen or heard an interview/chat/whatever where he has said it.

During sex.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 05:38:43 PM »
Of course I'm fairly certain those answers were tongue in cheek, but it won't stop people who don't like Gildenlow from making a huge deal out of it anyway ;)
That's my impression as well. :lol

During sex.
Damn, I knew I shouldn't have passed up that opportunity. :(

I be am boner inducing.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 05:54:15 PM »
The video where he talks about Scarsick being TPE2 and he says its the best album ever (or along those lines) made me laugh.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 05:55:44 PM »
The video where he talks about Scarsick being TPE2 and he says its the best album ever (or along those lines) made me laugh.

Maybe he said it was their best album ever? Still wrong, but more understandable.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 06:01:21 PM »
Yeah, he has said Scarsick is his favorite of POS's albums.