Author Topic: Who sings what on Whirlwind?  (Read 2298 times)

Offline Sixtease

Who sings what on Whirlwind?
« on: August 23, 2010, 09:27:51 AM »
I'm wondering who sings which part on Transatlantic's Whirlwind title song. Especially which parts are Mike's. Anybody knows?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Who sings what on Whirlwind?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 09:56:07 AM »
Too long to do them all, but in terms of which parts are Mike's:  He does backups/harmonies all throughout.  The only leads he has that come to mind are:  1.  The "catch your breath as you watch your step" reprises on Out of the Night; 2.  The "we have been blinded in our hearts . . . set us free!" parts in Set Us Free (which kind of remind me of Ozzy in a way).  
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 11:12:48 AM »
In regards to lead vocals (all four do all or most of the harmonies, I presume)...

Overture/Whirlwind:

Stolt: verses
Morse: choruses

The Wind Blew Them All Away:

Morse: everything

On the Prowl:

A Man Can Feel:

Stolt: everything

Out of the Night:

Stolt: the main "Coming out of the night..." part in each verse
Portnoy: the "Catch your breath... part that is reprised from the opening vocal section in track 1
Morse: the bridge in the middle ("I was once at the forefront...") and the Whirlwind reprise at the end
Trewavas: the "A Chance..." part, right before the Whirlwind reprise

Rose Covered Glasses:

Portnoy does do the background call and response type vocal during the first several choruses ("And I don't believe I wear rose covered glasses.")

Evermore:

Stolt: almost everything
Morse: He does the brief "Is it really happening?" lines near the end

Set Us Free:

Morse: verses
Portnoy: chorus

Lay Down Your Life:

Is It Really Happening?:

Dancing with Eternal Glory/Whirlwind reprise:

I may have missed a line or two one of them sings in a song here and there, but that is pretty much the gist of it.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 12:39:37 PM »
Rose Covered Glasses:

Portnoy does do the background call and response type vocal during the first several choruses ("And I don't believe I wear rose covered glasses.")

If my glasses were covered with roses I wouldn't be able to see ANYTHING  :lol

I think you mean colored... :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 12:49:45 PM »
Whoops.  Damn typos. :lol

Yes, COLORED. :biggrin:

And the fact that I did all of that earlier post simply from memory just shows how much I have listened to this CD. :coolio

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 01:59:58 PM »
Whoops.  Damn typos. :lol

Yes, COLORED. :biggrin:

And the fact that I did all of that earlier post simply from memory just shows how much I have listened to this CD. :coolio

That is pretty impressive. I too have listened to it quite a lot, and have watched the DVDs a lot too (Mike's drumming one and the Making Of), so I probably could've done it but you beat me to it, Kev  :tup

It truly is a fantastic album and according to my iTunes through my iPod, I've played the main album 276 times, and the four originals on disc 2 150 times. I don't listen to the covers very often, but I will every now and then. Those counts don't include times I've listened to it in my car, so it's probably closer to 300... I don't think I've heard an album that many times, except maybe Spock's Beard's Snow.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 03:10:54 PM »
Yowza, that is a lot of listens.  Considering the album has only been out since last October, that translates to around one listen PER DAY.  That is insane! :omg: :omg:

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 03:20:51 PM »
He does sing the 'Then we got caught in a whirlwind...' part in Overture too.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline j

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 04:12:20 PM »
Morse and Stolt have unique enough voices that it's pretty easy for me to pick them out.  Wasn't sure about all the parts where the other two sang, thanks Kev.

It is a very good album.  Drags a bit in parts for me and still doesn't match the first two TA albums, but I enjoy it thoroughly.  Best drumming from Portnoy in awhile.

-J

Offline Sixtease

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 02:14:33 AM »
Dear sirs, especially KevShmev, I thank you.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 04:17:19 AM »
Except for the obvious typo already pointed out ;), this is actually one of my favorite sections of the whole song. It's just...I don't know really how to describe it, but warm and familiar and nice and this whole section is a nice contrast to the bombastic epicness of the rest of the song.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.