Author Topic: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)  (Read 443677 times)

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Re: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)
« Reply #2870 on: May 04, 2017, 12:22:19 AM »
It goes on about not wasting empty space on the cd, so they might as well leave a secret message, and to continue to the bonus disc to see the message, where it keeps blathering on and just as it's about to get to the message it runs out of room and cuts off mid-sentence.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2871 on: August 27, 2017, 10:20:45 PM »
Well I'm very late to this news. Just went on YouTube to look for more live version of On a Tuesday and I saw some shirtless guitar player on stage and was shocked to realize it was Johan Hallgren. I don't know what to make of Zolberg's situation. This band has always been The Daniel Gildenlow band.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 08:28:11 PM by Herrick »
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2872 on: September 10, 2017, 07:11:03 AM »
So whilst working my way through my massive Spotify playlist of albums/bands to check out, I listened to The Perfect Element, Part 1 the other day. Holy shit!

After one listen it was an instant download for me. There was so much that struck me one first impressions and plenty I know will grow on me. I listened to In The Passing Light of Day earlier this year and thought it was ok. I know I've also sampled other PoS songs over the last few years but this album hit me. I know it's considered one of their best and I'm chuffed to feel like I finally 'get' why they are adored.

I'm on my second listen through now and it's really quite glorious. The other great thing is that as I'm working my way through my Spotify playlist, I'm listening through with albums in alphabetical order, to mix it up a bit. That means that the next album (after Red Fangs selftitled) is Remedy Lane  :metal

Will report back after that, this month could be my 'PoS obsessional' month.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2873 on: September 10, 2017, 07:23:24 AM »
Oh man, I love Remedy Lane so much. You're in for a treat :metal

Also, listening to In the Passing Light of Day is even more depressing now thinking about Ragnar leaving the band.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2874 on: September 10, 2017, 09:09:27 AM »
So whilst working my way through my massive Spotify playlist of albums/bands to check out, I listened to The Perfect Element, Part 1 the other day. Holy shit!

After one listen it was an instant download for me. There was so much that struck me one first impressions and plenty I know will grow on me. I listened to In The Passing Light of Day earlier this year and thought it was ok. I know I've also sampled other PoS songs over the last few years but this album hit me. I know it's considered one of their best and I'm chuffed to feel like I finally 'get' why they are adored.

I'm on my second listen through now and it's really quite glorious. The other great thing is that as I'm working my way through my Spotify playlist, I'm listening through with albums in alphabetical order, to mix it up a bit. That means that the next album (after Red Fangs selftitled) is Remedy Lane  :metal

The Perfect Element was my first PoS album and it's still easily my favorite. Glad you got to experience that as well! You're about to listen to their second best album now, which is also great.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #2875 on: September 10, 2017, 09:42:36 AM »

The Perfect Element was my first PoS album and it's still easily my favorite. Glad you got to experience that as well! You're about to listen to their second best album now, which is also great.

Looking forward to it  :tup I'll certainly post my thoughts here after listening.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2876 on: September 11, 2017, 12:53:41 AM »
The Perfect Element is great. Remedy Lane might be my favorite followed by One Hour By The Concrete Lake. Entropia is excellent as well.

I think what sets Gildenlow apart from many other Prog Metal songwriters is that every song fees crafted. At least to Herrick, nothing feels added for the sake of adding stuff whether it's long drawn-out instrumental sections or whatever else Prog is usually criticized for.

I wonder how the higher vocal stuff will be handled now that Hallgren is back. Zolberg can sing no doubt but I always preferred Hallgren's voice. I don't know if Hallgren can pull off some of the higher stuff Gildenlow did on the albums.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2877 on: September 11, 2017, 05:34:53 AM »
Crafted up to a point, imo. BE has a ton of stuff that feels just there for no reason.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2878 on: September 11, 2017, 10:34:05 AM »
As much as I love Remedy Lane, that's how much I dislike BE :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2879 on: September 11, 2017, 11:34:56 AM »
As much as I love Remedy Lane, that's how much I dislike BE :lol

Yup.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2880 on: September 11, 2017, 01:15:02 PM »
Be is incredible, as is TPE.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2881 on: September 11, 2017, 03:01:48 PM »
Ok, so help me out here Rich or anyone.  I love OHBTCL and TPE, but recently I picked up some newer stuff (In the Passing Light of Day and Falling Home).  Honestly, I don't really like either one.  Need something that resembles the older stuff.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2882 on: September 11, 2017, 03:04:58 PM »
Ok, so help me out here Rich or anyone.  I love OHBTCL and TPE, but recently I picked up some newer stuff (In the Passing Light of Day and Falling Home).  Honestly, I don't really like either one.  Need something that resembles the older stuff.

Entropia?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2883 on: September 11, 2017, 03:50:55 PM »
Entropia?
And Remedy Lane.

To be honest, though, all their albums are different.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2884 on: September 11, 2017, 04:23:33 PM »
Road Salts and Scarsick aren't :D Some good stuff sprinkled in but on a whole post be and pre-Passing Light is their absolute worst period, imo.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2885 on: September 11, 2017, 04:44:10 PM »
I enjoy the Road Salt albums. Those are vastly different to what they have done before.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2886 on: September 12, 2017, 01:49:25 AM »
The Road Salts are brilliant.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2887 on: September 12, 2017, 01:42:42 PM »
I really enjoy the first, never got around to spending much time with the second.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2888 on: September 12, 2017, 11:33:13 PM »
The first Road Salt is really great imo. The second one left me almost cold. Although it's the same style and kind of music I just don't connect with a lot of the songs.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2889 on: September 13, 2017, 07:38:54 AM »
I find the Road Salts to be much less interesting than everything that came before it. That being said, there are still some really good songs so I hardly wouldn't call them bad.
But Remedy Lane is so good, it makes me hard just thinking about how good it is.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2890 on: September 13, 2017, 08:07:38 AM »
Eh, I put Remedy Lane around mid table. Which is still great, just not that special by POS standards.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #2891 on: September 13, 2017, 08:13:22 AM »
Out on a walk in the sun. Once I finish listening to To The Bone I'm going to be listening to Remedy Lane (2nd listen) and The Perfect Element (3rd listen) as I go  :tup

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2892 on: September 13, 2017, 08:45:59 AM »
Entropia?
And Remedy Lane.

To be honest, though, all their albums are different.

Thanks guys.  I got Entropia.  Good recommendation Adami, I like it.  It's different but still good.  I may have heard some RL a long time ago but honestly can't remember.  I'll give that a whirl too.   :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2893 on: September 19, 2017, 01:46:46 PM »
Crafted up to a point, imo. BE has a ton of stuff that feels just there for no reason.

Sorry. I meant the first four albums.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2894 on: October 05, 2017, 10:50:22 AM »
Very interresting..... the second season of the documentary "I set myself on fire" will soon be upon us...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1432704753491378&id=157242247704308

If anyone has not seen season 1 yet you can start here:

https://mapenzifilm.se/0-prologue-2/

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2895 on: October 05, 2017, 11:02:12 AM »
This documentary is a great way to really know Daniel, the band and how PoS works. You feel like you are a part of their routine and strangely this documentary works very well this way, it's very enjoyable. No, I don't know Daniel personally, but he really gives the impression of being a very genuine, coherent and talented guy all across this documentary.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2896 on: October 22, 2017, 05:28:59 AM »
First episode of season 2 was released today:

https://mapenzifilm.se/7-drum-heads-road-salt/

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #2897 on: November 07, 2017, 10:33:45 AM »
Next 2 episodes are up

Offline busty sinclair

« Reply #2898 on: November 07, 2017, 02:22:09 PM »
I'm really excited about johan being back. i absolutely loved their first 5 albums with remedy lane and the perfect element being my favorites. BE will always have a special place in my heart it was a very special time in my life when that was released and i was one of the voices on vocari dei!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2899 on: November 15, 2017, 12:03:40 AM »

Holy shit. I just realized after watching the first episode of season 2 I only watched the prologue of season 1 and I thought that was it.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2900 on: November 15, 2017, 12:12:19 AM »

Holy shit. I just realized after watching the first episode of season 2 I only watched the prologue of season 1 and I thought that was it.

There is soo much more... and much more to come

Eight years of following Daniel around must have yielded a lot of photage....

I saw them on Oct 09, 2009 when Pain of Salvation  playex Balsta Musikslott in Eskilstuna, Sweden. It's in the building where their rehersal studio is and where they recorded Road Salt. Wonder if any photage from that show will turn up.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2901 on: November 15, 2017, 01:09:15 AM »

Same here, i watched the prologue and thought that was it (it was like 30 minutes long), then I realized there is a lot more. I want to watch it but I don't know when I will find the time, the whole thing is several hours long.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2902 on: November 15, 2017, 05:46:20 PM »
Damn it. Part 6 of season 1 isn't working :(

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #2903 on: November 29, 2017, 10:28:28 PM »
The Physics of Gridlock is fantastic! It’s weird because I’ve listened to it many times (everytime I’ve listened to Road Salt Two), but I didn’t think too much of it until tonight. Now I fucking love it!

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #2904 on: December 30, 2017, 11:28:49 AM »
Been going through a final ranking of all the albums I've listened to this year and gave Passing Light of Day it's 3rd listen today. Damn, this album is great and it's moved up my ranking. I'm hardly a huge PoS fan as I've only listened to Remedy Lane and The Perfect Element (both for the first time earlier this year). I'm finally 'getting' this band and wanting to delve into their entire back catalogue.

Gonna give Passing Light of Day another listen in a few days (along with Soen's latest which has also grown on me massively after the 3rd listen).