Author Topic: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)  (Read 443860 times)

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
Re: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)
« Reply #2800 on: March 13, 2017, 08:23:13 AM »
Be is incredible.
:heart

Yes.

Oh yes indeed.... and seeing it live before it was even recorded was magical. One of the top live experiences I have had. Love the DVD as well.
OMG, you saw them on that tour? That must have really been something else...even the DVD is so unique and magical.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2801 on: March 13, 2017, 01:47:39 PM »
I totally feel like this won't be my aoty but more albums that I care about need to come out

It's only March so  :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2802 on: March 13, 2017, 03:38:47 PM »
It definitely still is early in the year, but it is my current album of the year  :metal

Depending on how sweet the Anathema album is, it might be a toss up. We shall see

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2803 on: March 13, 2017, 03:40:54 PM »
Be is incredible.
:heart

Yes.

Oh yes indeed.... and seeing it live before it was even recorded was magical. One of the top live experiences I have had. Love the DVD as well.
OMG, you saw them on that tour? That must have really been something else...even the DVD is so unique and magical.

It wasn't a tour. It was a couple of nights in their hometown Eskilstuna. At a very special place... loved the stage and the pool. Great atmosphere...
And hearing it live first...

I live just an hour from Eskilstuna and my wifes parents live there so for me it was a no-brainer. As good as it was I would have travelled far for it which I think a lot of people did.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2804 on: March 13, 2017, 03:42:26 PM »
Yea, apparently they filmed the DVD at the former nazi headquarters with helicopters providing light.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2805 on: March 15, 2017, 02:38:54 PM »
I have Remedy lane on at the moment. Such blissful ecstasy

Offline elyster

« Reply #2806 on: April 18, 2017, 06:25:22 PM »
So Rangar recently posted the original version of Meaningless (well, what is now called Meaningless) which had the clever title of Rockers Don't Bathe.  Pretty cool...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HCIT4cF9fA

From his Facebook page -

People have been asking me a lot about this song so I decided to share this with you.
Some of you already know this but the song Meaningless is originally a Sign song from 2012.
The lyrics are slightly different and the arrangement is too, just listen for your self.
The sound in the beginning is my voice being heavily processed, sampled, pitched and cut a lot.
What started out as a small song about my depression and being away too much from my loved ones has turned into my personal highlight of our shows and it seems to be getting really good responses whenever we perform this song.
Playing the drums my big brother Egill Rafnsso

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2807 on: April 18, 2017, 07:02:51 PM »
So hold the phone.

A song written and created by an entirely different artist somehow gets released as a Pain of Salvation song? One which sounds way too close to the original. I'm not down with that.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 07:08:34 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Adami

« Reply #2808 on: April 18, 2017, 07:07:47 PM »
I'm getting a strong sense of Deja Vu.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2809 on: April 18, 2017, 07:29:10 PM »
you are just figuring this out now?  :lol
fwiw i think the PoS version is better, mostly for that outro

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2810 on: April 18, 2017, 11:51:05 PM »
Entirely different artist? No. The artist was one of the band.

Even if it had been a pure cover song, I don't know why people get so upset by that sort of thing these days. It's always been done. Being a cover song didn't stop Jeff Buckley's Hallalujah being an enormous hit.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #2811 on: April 19, 2017, 06:09:29 AM »
So hold the phone.

A song written and created by an entirely different artist somehow gets released as a Pain of Salvation song? One which sounds way too close to the original. I'm not down with that.

And also, I'm assuming Ragnar is/got a bigger royalty check because of that song. He's going to get some performance and publishing money as well (if he agreed to with Daniel).

I also think Ragnar is a huge addition to PoS. His background vocals are great, his playing is rock solid and he seems to be a very good song writer.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2812 on: April 19, 2017, 06:28:23 AM »
After thinking about it more, if Ragnar is cool with it, then I am cool with it. Its just that I've been walking around for weeks going "Daniel is a genius, meaningless is amazing", so I felt silly when I made the realization.

So Its more me being naive to the bigger picture and marking out a little too much to Daniel.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2813 on: April 19, 2017, 08:30:01 AM »
Personally I'd probably say it's maybe my least favorite on the album (still good) so I don't really put too much thought into the origin of the song.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2814 on: April 20, 2017, 02:03:48 AM »
That's far from the only old Ragnar songs that has been reworked like this.

I Lost the Way, which turned into On a Tuesday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_ZAoqAW8v8
Firebird, which turned into Falling Home: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9akz3xa01eA
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 04:54:28 AM by Lynxo »

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2815 on: April 20, 2017, 04:45:36 AM »
I Lost the Way part is one of my favorite moments on the album. And Ragnar wrote it 14 years ago :o
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #2816 on: April 30, 2017, 02:47:58 PM »
I quit Pain of Salvation in 2013 after having been in the band for 1 year only. It was nothing like what I had expected and I had come to understand why some members before me had also left. At that time Roger stepped in and did the acoustic tour in which he did a very good job!
About one year later I was asked to do one more gig, prognation at sea, I agreed. When I showed up for rehearsals Daniel had been hospitalised and asked me to fill in his shoes for the show, after he got better he asked me to join the band again and write the next album with him. I love to make albums so I decided to stick around a little longer.
Recently, with our album In the Passing Light of Day the band has been doing considerably better. An album which Daniel and I wrote together during a 2 year time period and I also lent some of my previous compositions to it. With a lot of dedication, sacrifices and help from various people we managed to go from almost being dropped from the record label to selling a descent amount of albums and playing to sold out shows. Something that I am very proud of and obviously very grateful for the love shown to us by the kind people attending our shows.
I have had a great time with my friends Gustaf Hielm, Daniel Karlsson and Léo Margarit. I am going to miss hanging out with them as much, they are the biggest reason I managed to stay all this time. <3
As it turned out, everybody worked on the album as a team, but as soon as our album was finished last year, the band leader started acting in a very similar manner as what we have been seeing of the band Ghost recently. It was clear that this was not “our" album anymore, but his. I got payed a small amount of 1000 euros for my work for those 2 years, that did not even cover my travel expenses.
Although PoS have now been doing quite good business wise, being in this band has been bad business from the beginning and has cost way more than what I’ve had in return, both mentally and economically. Minimum wage is not to be expected when you play to sold out shows and full venues at our standards. Neither is pessimism and criticism after almost every gig.
I have spoken my mind about all of this while still doing what I could to keep a professional relation towards everything, after all it is also my music that we have been playing and I have wanted everything to go as smoothly as possible despite the unjust treatment I have faced.
Instead of making amends, offering better salary or even giving credit where it’s due I was instead asked by Daniel to leave the band yesterday.
I am happy for everything I have learned in the recent years and the people I have gotten to know through this adventure and I am also very happy to be moving on. One thing that I have learned and think should be kept in mind is: Never take credit for others peoples work, that’s just not nice and extremely disrespectful.

TL/DR Ragnar kicked, feels he wasn't paid/appreciated. 

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #2817 on: April 30, 2017, 03:26:51 PM »
If it is true what he wrote, I completely understand. Aren't they in the middle of a tour though? Who's going to replace him?

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #2818 on: April 30, 2017, 03:29:24 PM »
I think their tour ended.  Maybe Roger who replaced him last time?

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2819 on: April 30, 2017, 03:33:45 PM »
Well damn. That does not reflect well on Daniel.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #2820 on: April 30, 2017, 03:49:21 PM »
I Lost the Way part is one of my favorite moments on the album. And Ragnar wrote it 14 years ago :o
That part is so magical  :omg:

Well damn. That does not reflect well on Daniel.
Nope, especially considering Ragnar has co-written parts of the album. Pain of Salvation is a band, not just Daniels Ego project :p
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2821 on: April 30, 2017, 03:50:11 PM »
Wow, Daniel seems like a real dick.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2822 on: April 30, 2017, 03:51:18 PM »
i'm not really surprised but i'm still disappointed nonetheless.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2823 on: April 30, 2017, 03:53:53 PM »
I'm not really surprised either. I read an interview with him a while back that felt kinda off.

https://www.facebook.com/undergroundnewz/photos/a.374101829394395.1073741828.374038069400771/845312832273290/?type=3

It's also interesting to me that they were almost dropped from the record label.

Also, why doesn't he allow the other members into the writing process??

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2824 on: April 30, 2017, 04:19:40 PM »
Ah, another case of Ghost-itis strikes again.  :-\

That's a huge shame. I had hoped that almost dying had changed Daniel a little. I guess not

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #2825 on: April 30, 2017, 04:25:57 PM »
What happened with the band Ghost?

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #2826 on: April 30, 2017, 04:35:30 PM »
Sucks when you find out the leader of one of your favorite bands is an ass.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #2828 on: April 30, 2017, 04:40:08 PM »
What's so damning about this though?  They're not a huge band so minimum wage level payment isn't too surprising.  I'd wait for more info because I highly doubt Daniel himself is making that much off the band.  Also he was kicked out of the band so maybe there's another side to it.

Either way there shoulda been some sort of contract made ahead of time.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2829 on: April 30, 2017, 07:28:14 PM »
Dammit.

I'm not looking to blame or be mad at anyone over this, I'm just disappointed in this happening.

When I became a PoS fan around Scarsick the lineup still was pretty static, and the Ending Themes live set really made me excited to see the band one day. The Road Salt albums were great in studio, but I finally saw them on that tour and was disappointed. With so many years and changes I felt like when I saw them on the cruise in February it was totally different. They went from a band who was a long anticipated disappointment to a band that had fully regained their glory and even pushed beyond it. A huge part of that was Ragnar both in studio and on the stage. Despite seeing them twice on the cruise I did something I hate doing if it can be avoided and went into NYC later in the tour to see them a third time. Glad I did.

The one-two punch, both vocally and on guitar of Daniel and Ragnar was something special, and I'm sad that it was relatively short lived.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Adami

« Reply #2830 on: April 30, 2017, 07:54:18 PM »
I mean.......on one hand, I don't care a ton because I'm not at all invested in any member of PoS besides DG (was very invested in the classic line up).

On the other hand, he was the only dude who's name I knew and who had a distinct personality. I hope the replacement isn't just a random hipster musician like the other dudes currently are.

Still, pretty lame Daniel. Pretty lame.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #2831 on: April 30, 2017, 11:19:35 PM »
Also, where is that quote from?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sebastian

Offline Adami

« Reply #2833 on: May 01, 2017, 12:34:43 AM »
Looks like he tagged some other members in that.

Think they might be leaving too?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2834 on: May 01, 2017, 01:45:56 AM »
Looks like he tagged some other members in that.

Think they might be leaving too?
He tagged Daniel as well. I think he just wanted to make sure the guys saw what he wrote.