Author Topic: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)  (Read 443887 times)

Offline Pettor

Re: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)
« Reply #2695 on: January 17, 2017, 01:08:26 AM »
Wow this album just gets better and better! Meaningless and Reasons sounds much better in the context of the album. TPE is like that as well. Take some of the song out of the album context and they are good, but put them in there and they become magic.

Full Throttle Tribe as well as Angels of Broken Things went from meh to awesome  :metal . This could over time become a favorite album from POS. RL have some of the best songs (Beyond the Pale, Fandango, Rope Ends, Trace of Blood) but doesn't flow and overall doesn't sound as good as TPE to me. This album I actually feel could be a better overall album or equal to RL for me. Time will tell I guess :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2696 on: January 17, 2017, 04:33:28 AM »
Hmmm...didn't think much of the title track after one listen to be honest, but I'm sure is a grower.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2697 on: January 17, 2017, 05:23:43 AM »
Hmmm...didn't think much of the title track after one listen to be honest, but I'm sure is a grower.

I'd say it's their best epic by far

Offline Pettor

« Reply #2698 on: January 17, 2017, 05:43:33 AM »
I think it's a different type of closer, maybe not expected by most. It's not a classic prog/Dream Theater closer with grand symphonic elements and epic ending, instead it builds on emotions. I needed to listen again after first spin because I was expecting something else and couldn't fully appreciate it (even if I knew I liked it). Beyond The Pale and In The Passing Light of Day is like A Change of Seasons and Octavarium. Masterpieces in their own special ways ;D

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2699 on: January 17, 2017, 11:55:47 AM »
The title track just hit me.

Hard.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2700 on: January 17, 2017, 03:26:05 PM »
I think that's just what it was, I didn't expect it.  I'm sure it will grow.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2701 on: January 21, 2017, 02:35:04 AM »
Yup, still loving this album. Reasons and Meaningless have grown on me in a big way, especially the latter, and I've continued loving the rest of the album. Really, just a perfect album through and through, and it's definitely not getting old quickly for me - still enjoying it as much as I did when I first heard it.

Tentative rankings:

1. On a Tuesday
2. The Passing Light of Day
3. Angels of Broken Things
4. Full Throttle Tribe
5. If This Is the End
6. The Taming of a Beast
7. Silent Gold
8. Meaningless
9. Tongue of God
10. Reasons
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline LordCost

« Reply #2702 on: January 21, 2017, 05:10:49 AM »
1. The Passing Light of Day
2. On a Tuesday
3. Tongue of God
4. If This Is the End
5. Meaningless
6. Full Throttle Tribe
7. Reasons
8. Silent Gold
9. Angels of Broken Things
10. The Taming of a Beast

I'm not loving the album that much. To me it's just slightly better than Scarsick (and than Road Salts), which I always liked. There's no doubt it's a well written concept album, but apart from the closer and the first half of On A Tuesday I don't hear anything as special as the songs on the first five albums.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #2703 on: January 23, 2017, 07:21:34 AM »
2. On a Tuesday
3. Full Throttle Tribe
4. Angels of Broken Things

5. Meaningless
6. Tongue of God
7. Reasons
8. If This Is the End

9. Silent Gold

10. The Taming of a Beast

The only two songs I find a bit boring is Silent Gold and Taming of a Beast, otherwise wonderful songs. Silent Gold is actually good and I usually like songs with piano and soft vocals, but it's just not doing something special. Sisters would be the working variant for this type of song.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2704 on: January 23, 2017, 08:28:18 AM »
2. Full Throttle Tribe
3. On a Tuesday
4. The Taming of a Beast
5. Silent Gold
6. Tongue of God
7. Reasons
8. Angels of Broken Things
9. If This is the End
10. Meaningless

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2705 on: January 23, 2017, 10:24:31 AM »
This album gets better and better with every listen.  Every day I find myself hooked on a different song. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2706 on: January 23, 2017, 10:55:41 AM »
I should hate The Passing Light of Day (song) by now since I'm listening to it few times a day but still nothing, love it more with every listen :P
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2707 on: January 23, 2017, 12:36:41 PM »
Yea, the title track is amazing. I wouldn't put it passed Element of Beyond the Pale, but it's amazingly good.

My only real complaint, other than Reasons, is the production. It's a huge improvement over Road Salts, but it still sounds really thin. If this had the production of BE or the remixed RL, it would have been considerably more powerful.

Overall though, I love this album.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #2708 on: January 23, 2017, 06:04:07 PM »
1. Do i even have to say it
2.  the taming of a beast (sex-hound daniel at his best)
3.  Silent Gold (best adele song)
4.  On a Tuesday (anyone else get a stranger things vibe from the buildup near the end)
5.  If this is the end (daniel sounds like i did during a recent constipation episode near the end.  great stuff)
6.  rockers don't bathe
7.  full throttle tribe (damn this song is great how did it end up here)
8.  tongue of god (kinda homoerotic, at least under the patriarchal assumption that god is a male)
9.  reasons ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT8II0JsDMg )
10.  Angels of broken things (not bad but i wouldn't miss it)

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #2709 on: January 23, 2017, 10:38:40 PM »
1. On A Tuesday
2. The Passing Light Of Day
3. Tongue Of God
4. The Taming Of A Beast
5. Meaningless
6. Full Throttle Tribe
7. Angels Of Broken Things
8. If This Is The End

9. Silent Gold (nice, but kinda boring)

10. Reasons (holy hell do I hate this song)

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2710 on: January 24, 2017, 01:09:29 AM »
After a couple of listens I still don't know what to make of it. It is definitely good and growing but I'm not sure if it will reach the status of a great PoS record for me. It's not easy to get into and it's so dark and depressing and bleak, which is no surprise regarding the underlying theme.

It doesn't really sound like something else they've done. It's heavier and more prog than the Road Salts, the distorted guitars are more modern metal/Scarsick sounding than Element or Remedy Lane.

The production is good but sometimes, when there's a lot going own it gets a bit muddy, for instance the drums in Angels Of Broken Things (mainly the cymbals) that partly drown out the guitar solo.

Daniel sings very emotional, Ragnar has a good voice but on the high parts (like in Meaningless) he sounds a bit strained and screechy. Daniel's high singing always sounded better.

Anyway, I'm glad that Daniel's back again, that the band is active and puts out new music.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2711 on: January 24, 2017, 05:02:51 AM »
I really like this cd a lot, but also it's different from the style of the first 4 albums (although it has the prog and heaviness in common), and for my taste, those are still the best of PoS. In the production note, I think it's interesting the option Daniel is chosing for a more natural/real sound of the instrumentation, which is very unusual for almost all the recordings nowadays. In this aspect and if it's intentional, I think they have achieved a really good result with this album soundwise, much better than with the Road Salts (although I personally prefer a cleaner sound/recording, like on Scarsick, the best PoS souding album to me).
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2712 on: January 24, 2017, 05:10:56 PM »
I have no clue what people complaining about the production are hearing that I'm not, but I'm glad that I don't. :) The album sounds great to me, and stuff like the main riff of On a Tuesday are about as far away from thin-sounding as I would ever expect anything to be.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2713 on: January 24, 2017, 10:12:07 PM »
Loving the album and glad I went with the Digibook version...
Love the spoken intros to the bonus tracks (demo versions)

Favorites so far On a friday and Meaningless

Offline Pettor

« Reply #2714 on: January 25, 2017, 12:19:30 AM »
Well production is always subjective to the listener. Of course there are good and less good quality productions, but in this case it feels like they put a lot of effort and in the end it comes down to whether you like or not. Remedy Lane actually really needed that recent remix for me to be fully appreciated.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2715 on: January 25, 2017, 01:20:19 AM »
As I stated above, I don't think the production is bad, in fact it's good, for instance I really like the drum sound, so natural and powerful. But it also has its flaws, it isn't perfect. I'm not really linking the guitar sound in some songs, to sterile and cold for my liking and sometimes when the whole band plays at full force the clarity gets lost. Everything overlaps everything else.

And yes, this is totally subjective.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Adami

« Reply #2716 on: January 25, 2017, 01:22:16 AM »
To be fair, I've not been a fan of most of PoS' production. It's usually tolerable, but never great really.

Entropia, RL, TPE, Scarsick are all tolerable, but not great.
BE and Remedy Lane remix are actually good.
Road Salts and OHBTCL are pretty bad.

I'd put the new album in the "tolerable, but not great" category.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2717 on: January 25, 2017, 01:26:50 AM »
yeah ohbtcl sounds awful, one of the biggest reasons why i never listened to that one as much. what the hell happened between that one and entropia

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2718 on: January 25, 2017, 03:28:30 AM »
I really like the RL Remix, it would be nice if they remixed the other albums too - at least TPE.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2719 on: January 25, 2017, 01:37:53 PM »
I really like the RL Remix, it would be nice if they remixed the other albums too - at least TPE.
I was thinking about this the other day, but actually I dunno. RL benefited so much because the new mix gave it more punch. TPE could potentially benefit similarly, but for all its sonic flaws the production creates some incredible climaxes which risk getting lost with a cleaner mix.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

« Reply #2720 on: January 25, 2017, 01:55:19 PM »
I was thinking about this the other day, but actually I dunno. RL benefited so much because the new mix gave it more punch. TPE could potentially benefit similarly, but for all its sonic flaws the production creates some incredible climaxes which risk getting lost with a cleaner mix.

The only major change I would make to TPE is the kick drum. When it's heavy (even barely) the kick drum is completely lost. Give it a good kick sound and boost it a bit, and the production works a lot better.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #2721 on: February 03, 2017, 06:38:10 PM »
Man, I'm really loving this album.

Now that the lyrics are finally online I was able to listen to the album and read along, since it's hard to understand a lot of the words otherwise.

Wow. Lyrically, this is definitely at the same level of RL. It's just so beautiful. The title track is just one of the most genuine and heart warming love letters from a man to his wife, might have gotten a little weepy near the end. The rest of the lyrics are fantastic (except for the list part of Reasons, which is not great) and a true return to form, since I wasn't super impressed with the majority of lyrics on Scarsick or the Road Salts.

I won't rank the songs, but I can tell you the top 3 are obviously the three longest tracks, but unlike most of you, I'd put On a Tuesday as my number 1.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #2722 on: February 03, 2017, 06:41:47 PM »
And you were so pessimistic about it. Good for you.

Online Adami

« Reply #2723 on: February 03, 2017, 06:52:35 PM »
And you were so pessimistic about it. Good for you.

Hey man, I call things as I see them. I still think releasing a song from Zoidberg's old band and Reasons as the first two releases was a really bad call, luckily neither song is representative of the album.

PoS will always be my favorite band. So I always want to like what they do, but I can't make myself. Luckily, this is just a really good album.

Want me to start criticising the production?  :P
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2724 on: February 04, 2017, 03:55:40 AM »
I'm with you Adami, on On a Tuesday being my favourite. That opening riff is monstrous, and the outro section is amazing.

Yeah, I'm still really in love with this album. :heart Didn't think that PoS had an album of this caliber left in them, glad to have been proven wrong. :tup While there's not been much competition so far, I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be my album of the year, I can't think of many albums in the last five years that have hit me as hard as this has.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #2725 on: February 06, 2017, 08:39:10 AM »
It is a very nice album but I'm not into the introduction of the 7 string chugs.  They're not bad and I think the production helps set them apart but the chug fatigue really sets in around Reasons.  In fact my favorite songs are probably the most Road Salt-esque.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2726 on: February 07, 2017, 06:06:46 AM »
Misheard lyrics:

I may be stubborn of Hellstrom in stead of I may be stubborn and headstrong. Who is Hellstrom?   :lol
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Adami

« Reply #2727 on: February 07, 2017, 09:40:10 AM »
Misheard lyrics:

I may be stubborn of Hellstrom in stead of I may be stubborn and headstrong. Who is Hellstrom?   :lol

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2728 on: February 08, 2017, 01:06:02 AM »
Ah! Tack se micke!  :metal
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2729 on: February 12, 2017, 03:55:05 PM »
The first half of the ablum is pretty good but the second half is lacking in the goodness. I think the last song is growing on me though.

Not a fan of Zolberg's child-like voice.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!