Author Topic: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)  (Read 446645 times)

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
Re: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)
« Reply #2940 on: November 21, 2018, 02:49:17 PM »

The remix is great. I don't even listen to the original mix anymore.

I'd favor all of their pre-BE albums getting a similar remix.
Agreed!  I'd love to see The Perfect Element treated the same!!

Praised be Jens Bogren. Indeed, all the pre-BE albums would be much more enjoyable than they already are with a better mixing/treatment.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2941 on: December 05, 2018, 10:36:10 PM »
new interview. Stuff about the ITPLOD artwork and Ragnar leaving.

also a funny moment about carrots, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fUnYCG-Frk

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #2942 on: December 17, 2018, 10:33:28 PM »
that documentary series is back
https://vimeo.com/mapenzifilm

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2943 on: December 17, 2018, 10:45:28 PM »
that documentary series is back

Nice to see Transatlantic in there....

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2944 on: January 11, 2019, 11:20:10 PM »
bump.

3 more episodes are up there, the last being a little over an hour.

It's nothing new, but it's a bit taxing seeing Daniel speak about reviews and the band not reaching more people like he feels they could. But it's eerie how he says History will prove their music and the other bands that the reviews compare them to will find how kind History is.

It's been nearly 10 years since the Road Salt albums came out, and I think they have aged a little better than expected, but within their catalog, they are still considered under many if not all their other albums from fans. Daniel himself may not feel that though, which would be a good question for him now, now 10 years later.

Offline Sebastian

« Reply #2945 on: January 13, 2019, 03:42:18 AM »
It's really interesting to watch these documentaries with hindsight. In an earlier episode, they get feedback from their label that they should do a single Road Salt album and cut some of the songs, but the band (or maybe just Daniel) insists on doing a double album. I guess I would now agree with the label that there are a lot of songs on the two albums that could be cut.

I saw them live in 2017 and 2018 and they didn't play much from Road Salt. Nothing at all in their most recent concert: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pain-of-salvation/2018/piraeus-117-academy-athens-greece-3396e831.html
But maybe they're just going for a more metal sound for the Passing Light of Day tours. :)

Offline gilpdawg

« Reply #2946 on: January 31, 2019, 05:17:59 PM »
It's really interesting to watch these documentaries with hindsight. In an earlier episode, they get feedback from their label that they should do a single Road Salt album and cut some of the songs, but the band (or maybe just Daniel) insists on doing a double album. I guess I would now agree with the label that there are a lot of songs on the two albums that could be cut.

I saw them live in 2017 and 2018 and they didn't play much from Road Salt. Nothing at all in their most recent concert: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pain-of-salvation/2018/piraeus-117-academy-athens-greece-3396e831.html
But maybe they're just going for a more metal sound for the Passing Light of Day tours. :)
I think they played Lineoleum on the US ITPLOD run.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2947 on: February 01, 2019, 06:10:56 AM »
It's been nearly 10 years since the Road Salt albums came out, and I think they have aged a little better than expected, but within their catalog, they are still considered under many if not all their other albums from fans. Daniel himself may not feel that though, which would be a good question for him now, now 10 years later.
I concur. I never minded those albums at the time  - if you wanna make music that sounds like that, then it would be a mistake to resist the impulse and "go back to the old PoS" like the fans were insisting at the time. The best part of PoS is the emotion, so if Daniel isn't feeling it, I'd rather him make the kind of music he is feeling. Having said that, it definitely could have been a very strong one CD album, rather than two average-to-good albums, and it really is a separate chapter in the band's history - hell, starting from the split with Johan, all the rotating lineups with Ragnar (who I really love) almost felt like a different band. And now, with Ragnar out, the reverse course is complete, and they don't play much Road Salt. Really curious.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2948 on: February 01, 2019, 07:36:42 AM »
Any PoS fans in or around Germany here? One Hour and Remedy Live are currently available on German amazon for 8-9€ on double vinyl! So are a few Redemtion albums!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2949 on: February 07, 2019, 10:57:01 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10217886178976848&set=a.10201536924695709&type=3&theater

Drums packed – tomorrow morning I’m going to Daniel Bergstrand’s studio for a weekend of working on the new Pain of Salvation material. 🤘 #dugoutproductions #danielbergstrand #painofsalvation — at Södermanland County.

I concur. I never minded those albums at the time  - if you wanna make music that sounds like that, then it would be a mistake to resist the impulse and "go back to the old PoS" like the fans were insisting at the time. The best part of PoS is the emotion, so if Daniel isn't feeling it, I'd rather him make the kind of music he is feeling. Having said that, it definitely could have been a very strong one CD album, rather than two average-to-good albums, and it really is a separate chapter in the band's history - hell, starting from the split with Johan, all the rotating lineups with Ragnar (who I really love) almost felt like a different band. And now, with Ragnar out, the reverse course is complete, and they don't play much Road Salt. Really curious.

I think they are kind of a different band, or maybe better, just the Daniel Gildenlow Band, maybe they have been especially since his brother left, but even from the beginning.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2950 on: February 07, 2019, 10:57:45 AM »
God dammit if Daniel is playing drums again I'm gonna kill Stadler.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2951 on: February 08, 2019, 03:38:11 AM »
I think he plays drums on all the demo's.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2952 on: April 04, 2019, 11:26:26 PM »
In the Passing Light of Day seems to be better than I remember it being...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2953 on: April 04, 2019, 11:43:18 PM »
In the Passing Light of Day seems to be better than I remember it being...

My opinion hasn't changed so far. The first half is very good but the second half isn't so good but still good. Overall, it's better than Scarsick and the Road Salts.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2954 on: April 05, 2019, 08:25:39 AM »
The album itself is pretty good but the title track is still fantastic. Better than anything on Remedy Lane or TPE as far as I'm concerned.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2955 on: April 05, 2019, 10:51:52 AM »
I still don't follow the amount of love the title track to ItPLoD gets.

I mean it's not bad, but it doesn't include any "wow" moments that so many of their best tunes have.

I've been a fan of PoS for almost 20 years, and at this point I wouldn't probably put it in my top 30 songs from them.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #2956 on: April 05, 2019, 01:45:04 PM »
It is maybe the best song they ever did.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2957 on: April 05, 2019, 02:29:22 PM »

I mean it's not bad, but it doesn't include any "wow" moments that so many of their best tunes have.

I've been a fan of PoS for almost 20 years, and at this point I wouldn't probably put it in my top 30 songs from them.

It's the most emotionally resonant song they've made by far for me. The lyrics and the emotions and knowing the story behind the words with Daniel almost dying, it gives the song a "real" feel to it which most of the other songs don't have. Knowing the words actually reflect reality and aren't just a writer trying to put himself in a made up situation makes it a lot more powerful.
That, and musically the song is just amazing. The chorus is really good and that final time the chorus comes in just gives me goosebumps every time.

I mean the band has made a bunch of great songs (and albums), for me songs like Her Voices, ! (Foreword) or Iter Impius are amazing in their own ways, but what puts ITPLoD above the rest is just how real it is. The music and the singing is great like in most PoS songs but listening to the song and knowing what Daniel went through in the hospital it adds a lot to the song.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2958 on: April 06, 2019, 08:54:03 AM »

It's the most emotionally resonant song they've made by far for me. The lyrics and the emotions and knowing the story behind the words with Daniel almost dying, it gives the song a "real" feel to it which most of the other songs don't have. Knowing the words actually reflect reality and aren't just a writer trying to put himself in a made up situation makes it a lot more powerful.
That, and musically the song is just amazing. The chorus is really good and that final time the chorus comes in just gives me goosebumps every time.

I mean the band has made a bunch of great songs (and albums), for me songs like Her Voices, ! (Foreword) or Iter Impius are amazing in their own ways, but what puts ITPLoD above the rest is just how real it is. The music and the singing is great like in most PoS songs but listening to the song and knowing what Daniel went through in the hospital it adds a lot to the song.

well for you and others not only in this topic, but among the fans I have seen (largely on FB, but also on some other forums and review sites from memory), may feel that way, but I guess this inspired me to make
a Favorite Songs list and more detailed explanation as to why I feel about it as I do.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2959 on: April 06, 2019, 09:02:51 AM »
If you don't care about the emotional aspect of music then sure putting 40 other songs above it makes sense. :P

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2960 on: April 08, 2019, 10:41:29 PM »
I guess it comes down to does it evoke a (good) emotional response, which it really doesn't for me.

I kind of see it being similar to my experience with the Yes song "Awaken." There's things about it I like, and follow why others adore it, but the Church Organ and some of the vocals one-day hit me as being incredibly cheesy and preachy, I came to lose most of my appreciation for it. So much so, I don't typically listen to it when listening to Going for the One.

The same thing very well may happen with TtPLoD for me. Now, perhaps seeing it live, I might feel differently.

Anyway, I also thought I'd pass along what Daniel posted on FB:

What you see there on the screen, folks, is the new Pain of Salvation album taking form. Right now I’m working on a brand new song with the working title City Ghost.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #2961 on: April 09, 2019, 08:42:08 AM »

well for you and others not only in this topic, but among the fans I have seen (largely on FB, but also on some other forums and review sites from memory), may feel that way, but I guess this inspired me to make
a Favorite Songs list and more detailed explanation as to why I feel about it as I do.

Nah, it's not overrated at all. Overrated often just means "I don't understand why all these people like something I don't.

ItPLoD is basically everything a progressive epic isn't expected to be. The emotional impact of that track is the best thing POS ever done imo, and that is really impressive. It's a fantastic song in every way but in the end the lyrics in combined with the music progression is what really makes it stand out. It gets very personal when he describes being in the hospital expecting the worst repeating the "my lover, my best friend" phrase. It's so heart breaking for me and the delivery is perfect.

Edit: Just so you know, many of us has not forgotten the other songs by POS. You mentioned "Her Voices". LOVE that song. Beyond the Pale, King of Loss, In The Flest, Perfect Element etc. etc. are all incredible songs. But still, the most emotional impact goes to ItPLoD.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 09:01:06 AM by Pettor »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2962 on: April 09, 2019, 09:46:42 AM »
When I first went to listen to In the Passing light of day, I was expecting some crazy, super technical prog epic. Its definitely not that, but it quickly grew on me and is now one of my very favorite PoS songs. I love it.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2963 on: April 10, 2019, 06:14:03 AM »
I was expecting a heavier buildup in the title track and at first it felt like it drags on for too long and it never really gets somewhere too impactful musically. It stays within a certain level that is very similar in vibe from beginning to end. It's not my favourite but it's grown on me and I really like the vocal delivery and the lyrics so that makes up for it. Just wish he'd gone at least for a verse or so in a style to Beyond The Pale but I get why that didn't happen.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2964 on: April 10, 2019, 06:47:28 AM »
... I was expecting some crazy, super technical prog epic...

I think maybe it's an awesome track just because it's not that crazy, supertechnical prog epic. We have a lot of that in other songs, but here it's just something different. That quiet but very emotional side would probably get lost to some degree with too much technical prog going on.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2965 on: April 10, 2019, 12:02:14 PM »
On A Tuesday is my favorite from the album and it might be my favorite PoS song of all time. Song is perfect.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2966 on: April 10, 2019, 03:03:44 PM »
On A Tuesday is my favorite from the album and it might be my favorite PoS song of all time. Song is perfect.

I wouldn't go that far, but I could easily feel like it's my favorite on the record. It might at least be my favorite opening track on any PoS album.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2967 on: August 29, 2019, 10:29:37 AM »

Offline Pettor

« Reply #2968 on: November 08, 2019, 12:11:01 AM »
Just listened to Be again after a long time.

I know Iter Impius, Dea Pecuniae, Imago and Diffidentia are some fan favorites from the album but what is the general feeling about Nihil Morari?

The studio version (with the added lyrics) is maybe one of my favorite POS songs. There's something about how the song managed encapsulate very chaotic and dramatic instrumentation that perfectly fits the lyrics / subject. Maybe even something about the song mainly being written as an instrumental but adding those quick singing parts on top is really awesome.

Then there's the lyrics with parts like

"
When there's nothing left for us to break
Use
Abuse
Or rape
Then you're free to count how much you saved
"

"
It's not hard to reach the top
It's not hard not knowing when to stop
It's not hard to take all
Not very difficult to fly if you settle for a fall
"

Damn. Those hit hard for me. I am constantly worried about the state of the world and how we torture the nature to benefit some strange desire to constantly grow and make money. It seems we never stop to reflect or wonder what we make of it as a whole. The lyrics really is all about this.

There are parts of the lyrics where it gets a bit cringy, like the light bulb explanation.

Then comes the climatic ending with "I'm sorry! For the things we did and did not do" with Daniel being obvious worried about what we are doing and kinda pleading / screaming how sorry he is (maybe hoping someone listens). After building up it all comes down to a more depressing and emotional ending with the "I'm sorry" repeating, but this time it's hopeless (no one listens). I think the contrast here is fantastic. Daniel's delivery of the final lines are soooooooo good:

"
I'm sorry!
For the things we did and didn't do
Forgive us; the fools that rushed ahead without a single clue
...Without a single clue. ..
"

This is maybe still the strongest delivery of lyrics for all of the POS songs for me. And that is kinda what the band is known for with Beyond The Pale etc.

I never heard anyone really go on about Nihil Morari and just wonder if I am a bit stuck on the song on my own or others that kinda see some huge brilliance in that song?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2969 on: November 08, 2019, 08:19:32 AM »
I see brilliance in that entire album. Although, I need to buy the actual album, I only have the live cd.

You can feel that sense of "We fucked up" in the instrumentation.

The way you feel about Nihil Morari, I feel about Vocari Dei. It's atmosphere is beautiful, a good contrast to the messages. It's the one moment of peace before everything turns to dust.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2970 on: January 29, 2020, 07:44:23 PM »
Anyone know anything about a new album coming out?

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2971 on: January 29, 2020, 08:07:49 PM »
Daniel's been posting somewhat regularly the last few weeks

https://www.instagram.com/danielgildenlow/

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2972 on: January 29, 2020, 09:41:35 PM »
Daniel's been posting somewhat regularly the last few weeks

https://www.instagram.com/danielgildenlow/

Ok. I don't use Instagram but I'll check out Gildenlow's every now and then to see what's going on with the new album.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2973 on: February 03, 2020, 07:03:29 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/danielgildenlow/posts/10220851761634561

Final mixing for the first single from the next album. ACCELERATOR! A day spent in the best possible company. Three peas in a pod – Daniel and Fredrik and me. So few normal people would get us. :)

#painofsalvation #accelerator #single #panther #danielbergstrand @fredrik_thordendal @ Stockholm, Sweden

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2974 on: February 04, 2020, 06:53:22 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/danielgildenlow/posts/10220851761634561?comment_id=10220853100228025&reply_comment_id=10220854592985343

Ky Gil the 1st song/single is titled "Accelerator"? Or the Album is titled "Accelerator"? or Both?

· Reply · 11h

Daniel Gildenlöw
        Daniel Gildenlöw Ky Gil Album is PANTHER

Love
         · Reply · 6h

Riccardo Capitani
        Riccardo Capitani Daniel ok ...hype fertilized🤟