Author Topic: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)  (Read 444208 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)
« Reply #2660 on: January 11, 2017, 06:47:32 AM »
Nearly through the first listen (currently on The Taming of a Beast), and I'd say that the two tracks released beforehand are easily the two weakest of the bunch - Meaningless is a little too one-dimensional for my tastes and Reasons doesn't work that well for me; it's a bit better in the context of the album, but still my least favourite so far.

On a Tuesday, Silent Gold and Angels of Broken Things are the standouts so far, but I'm really digging this album anyway. I'm not usually one to notice production, but I think this album also sounds really good, which certainly doesn't hurt.

If the remaining tracks are of similar quality, and the album holds up on repeated listens, then I could see this entering my Top 5 PoS albums. It's already ahead of Scarsick, that's for sure, but it might beat the Road Salts and BE - maybe even OHBTCL if it grows on me further.

scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #2661 on: January 11, 2017, 09:02:52 AM »
I finished my first listen through and my impression is that it's really excellent.  I'm anticipating that a lot of fans being told that they were gonna get the return they've been asking for are gonna be disappointed.  At the same time it could win over new fans.   My best description is that musically and conceptually it is kinda like Remedy Lane's gritty and world-weary cousin.   

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2662 on: January 11, 2017, 10:47:47 AM »
I really shouldn't be ranking songs after only one listen, but if I have to, I'd say Full Throttle Tribe is definitely my #1.

After many listens that has remained my favorite.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2663 on: January 11, 2017, 10:50:55 AM »
I finished my first listen through and my impression is that it's really excellent.  I'm anticipating that a lot of fans being told that they were gonna get the return they've been asking for are gonna be disappointed. 

Yes and no. While the album certainly does not sound like any old album, or the older era in general, it certainly is more familiar than the Road Salt albums.

As I think Joe talked about in his review (shameless re-plug: https://wpapu.com/review-pain-of-salvation-in-the-passing-light-of-day/), I also find it's a nice mix of old elements while still moving forward.

Edit: RE: that review, thanks for the additional post to PoS about it, they and InsideOut both posted it after that. :D)
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2664 on: January 11, 2017, 10:55:30 AM »
After one listen, On a Tuesday is my favourite. Subject to change in the future of course, but that song is just magical.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2665 on: January 11, 2017, 11:28:42 AM »
I finished my first listen through and my impression is that it's really excellent.  I'm anticipating that a lot of fans being told that they were gonna get the return they've been asking for are gonna be disappointed. 

Yes and no. While the album certainly does not sound like any old album, or the older era in general, it certainly is more familiar than the Road Salt albums.

As I think Joe talked about in his review (shameless re-plug: https://wpapu.com/review-pain-of-salvation-in-the-passing-light-of-day/), I also find it's a nice mix of old elements while still moving forward.

Edit: RE: that review, thanks for the additional post to PoS about it, they and InsideOut both posted it after that. :D)

I love how this review goes, especially there:

We get a break from what amounts to 20 minutes of grungy metal via “Silent Momentum”, a piano-driven ballad that features very well-performed and emotive vocals from Gildenlow.

Silent Momentum? :biggrin:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2666 on: January 11, 2017, 12:22:55 PM »
I love how this review goes, especially there:

We get a break from what amounts to 20 minutes of grungy metal via “Silent Momentum”, a piano-driven ballad that features very well-performed and emotive vocals from Gildenlow.

Silent Momentum? :biggrin:

Dammit Joe... I missed that, I was busy fixing all the times he referred to "Full Throttle".

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2667 on: January 11, 2017, 12:26:55 PM »
Listening to "Silent Momentum" right now. Such a gorgeous song, I love Daniel's vocals here.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #2668 on: January 11, 2017, 05:22:38 PM »
the songs that didn't initially grab me are starting to click.  This fucking rules.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2669 on: January 11, 2017, 08:25:08 PM »
The #1 Album on rateyourmusic.com's 2017 Albums Chart

https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/2017

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #2670 on: January 11, 2017, 08:31:46 PM »
Cool. Probably won't stay there long though.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2671 on: January 13, 2017, 02:16:40 AM »
The album has been released on Spotify now. I've listened to almost all of it and I have to say, I love it.  :heart My favorite band does it once again. This is exactly what I hoped they would do. It doesn't sound like a rehash at all but rather a return to the mood and the sound I loved so much on their first albums. Daniel's singing sounds great and so does the production.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2672 on: January 13, 2017, 02:28:00 AM »
Full Throttle Tribe is my favourite so far.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2673 on: January 13, 2017, 02:38:39 AM »
Bought it. Will listen tomorrow. Wooooo.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2674 on: January 13, 2017, 02:53:53 AM »
Its nice to be able to finally listen to this thing.

The last POS album I actually enjoyed was BE. So after a long ass 13 years of him putting out stuff that I want nothing to do with, I am  happy with this new album. Its really decent.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #2675 on: January 13, 2017, 03:23:16 AM »
A great album with so much feeling... Loved it, and specially the references to Remedy Lane. Full Throttle Tribe, On A Tuesday and the title song are my favorites so far.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2676 on: January 13, 2017, 03:51:42 AM »
By the way, I can recommend this podcast on Spotify with Daniel: https://spoti.fi/2igxrk2.

What was really interesting to me was that Road Salt were never supposed to take up so many albums and time. It was supposed to be one returning to roots kind of album and then he wanted to continue with the heavy stuff. But because of the record label not wanting to release a double album and a lot of other problems, not to mention Daniel being in the hospital for 6 months, everything got really drawn out.

Daniel actually sounds really humble and honest here, a nice contrast to the arrogant person he usually sounds like.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2677 on: January 13, 2017, 10:13:36 AM »
Just picked up the special edition. It features extensive photography and liner notes about the concept, about really a lot actually. Definitely worth picking this up instead of the regular edition.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2678 on: January 13, 2017, 01:11:45 PM »
I listened late last night. I didn't pay very close attention, and I'll be revisiting it, but after one listen, I'd say it's the closest they've sounded to what I consider their golden era (first 4 albums) since, well, the first 4 albums.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2679 on: January 13, 2017, 03:08:02 PM »
This new album is great in MANY MANY ways, I can see it being a favorite for many fans.

I called it

Offline Adami

« Reply #2680 on: January 13, 2017, 03:51:11 PM »
This new album is great in MANY MANY ways, I can see it being a favorite for many fans.

I called it

I haven't seen anyone say it's their favorite. Most people seem to like it and put it middle of the pack.

Unless you're saying you predicted that people would like it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #2681 on: January 13, 2017, 04:20:04 PM »
I don't think many people are typically ready to pronounce it their favorite after being out one day.  I really like it but I'm not gonna say just how much I like it yet

Offline LordCost

« Reply #2682 on: January 13, 2017, 05:44:57 PM »
I don't think many people are typically ready to pronounce it their favorite after being out one day.  I really like it but I'm not gonna say just how much I like it yet
I agree, I need more listens. On A Tuesday, Tongue Of God and the titletrack are my favourites at the moment

Offline Adami

« Reply #2683 on: January 13, 2017, 07:19:35 PM »
Gave it one listen thus far.

Wow.....I actually expected a mediocre album at best, following the two less than great singles, but it's a really good album. Reasons is still my least favorite PoS song at the moment, but the rest of the album is strong.

RL strong? No. TPE strong? No. BE strong? No. But maybe OHBTCL strong.

I need to listen more to figure out which songs I like best, but I do remember that the 2nd half of the album isn't as strong as the first half (except the end of the title track which is incredible).

Doing my 2nd listen, and I love that main melody from Full Throttle Tribe. Mmmmmm. Though it does sound Ragnar written.

Also, this album seems to be mostly based around the idea of odd rhythms or pollyrhythms. However, these seem....different. I'm listening to them and for the life of me, I'm having trouble figuring out why they clearly sound odd. It's almost like they took 4/4 or 6/8 riffs and just....broke them. Bloody brilliant.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 08:50:27 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Pettor

« Reply #2684 on: January 14, 2017, 03:36:02 AM »
Been so excited for this release. TPE is one of the best albums ever for me and Remedy Lane is of course not very far behind. I liked Scarsick and Road Salt, but I was anticipating the return to metal roots.

I am so happy it's not a TPE or Remedy Lane copy in anyway, instead it's a fresh mix of the many styles they have tried over the years. The Road Salt elements really fits with the heavy parts. Also the new band sounds great. Ragnars voice is a great addition, like the fantastic vocal part in On a Tuesday ("I lost the way ..."). The skills are there and to be honest this can be the best lineup they have had. 5 years is a long time but it's been a good wait. The concept is great and the flow feels once again better and more consistent than Road Salt.

The passing light of day (song) was not what I expected. As a prog fan I always expect big dramatic epics but this one is instead calm and just heartwrenching. Anyway who have seen or looked at someone they love (and best friend) in a hospital know that feeling. Shit that song gives it hard. And that's what POS always added to prog metal, those damn feelings. No one can give it like Daniel.

Needs a couple of more spins but this is such a fresh awesome comeback I actually didn't expect. The new songs on Falling Home was not my cup of tea so I was expecting the worst.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2685 on: January 14, 2017, 06:35:51 AM »
Title track on the new album is not only the best epic they've done but maybe their best song too

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2686 on: January 14, 2017, 10:13:40 AM »
Listened to it for the first time. Sounds good but needs more time to sink in.

I find it interesting that all songs except one were written by Gildenlöw and Zolberg. All the previous records were mostly written by Daniel alone.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2687 on: January 14, 2017, 08:49:53 PM »
not Iter Impius (Fredrik)

Offline Adami

« Reply #2688 on: January 14, 2017, 08:51:19 PM »
not Iter Impius (Fredrik)

He said mostly, and Daniel wrote every other note of that damn album.

I think Madgik had a decent hand in song-writing on the first two albums, but Ragnorok Zoidberg certainly seems to have more than anyone else has.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #2689 on: January 15, 2017, 10:21:10 AM »
I am really loving the new album! Some of heavy riffs need a few listens to click due to the weird rhythms, but I really starting to like them. I agree with the people saying Reasons works better in the context of the album, I'm still not a fan of the counting part though.

On A Tuesday is my favourite after three listens so far, really love the dynamics in it. Also chiming in about the production, it's sounds so organic. Easily blows bot Road Salt albums and Scarsick out of the water for me!
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2690 on: January 16, 2017, 08:30:14 AM »
I can't remember being this addicted to a new album in a very long time. I've basically been listening to nothing else since Wednesday, and I'm still not the least tired of the new album. Even the songs that I initially didn't care for much (Full Throttle Tribe, Meaningless, Reasons) I'm slowly starting to appreciate. Such a well-rounded album, really, and the emotional depth is astounding.

Top 3:

1. On a Tuesday
2. The Passing Light of Day
3. Angels of Broken Things

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #2691 on: January 16, 2017, 09:20:59 AM »
Kinda funny6 I've seen lots of citing Angels as a favorite while it's the only one I ever feel like skipping. 

Definitely agree that the bookends are the best.  Taming of the Beast is also an easy favorite.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2692 on: January 16, 2017, 10:17:37 AM »
Kinda funny6 I've seen lots of citing Angels as a favorite while it's the only one I ever feel like skipping. 

Definitely agree that the bookends are the best.  Taming of the Beast is also an easy favorite.

If I had to pick my least favourite song from the album, I would probably go with Angels of Broken Things, too, even though it has an amazing guitar solo. But every song on the album is really strong. The Taming of the Beast was somewhere in the middle for me at first, but I absolutely love it now, probably my #2 or #3.

I can't stop listening to this album either, and I'm really happy with it. I honestly didn't expect such a quality album from PoS anymore.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2693 on: January 16, 2017, 10:49:25 AM »

Absolutely. The solo is amazing but the rest is a total chore to get through. Whatever Daniel wanted to get across with it, the offtime guitar playing just destroys the song.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2694 on: January 16, 2017, 03:14:28 PM »
Got my copy of this album and I have listened to all songs except the title track.  A really interesting and kind of unique album really.  I don't get the hype of the sound going back old school, sounds like a slightly heavier Road Salt with some more metal elements which is fine by me.  But really, this is something different again from POS.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.