Author Topic: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)  (Read 445668 times)

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
Re: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)
« Reply #2555 on: December 12, 2016, 06:19:53 AM »
Scarsick and Road Salt mixture?

Sadly what I expected, but not what I was hoping for. Ah well. I'll check it out.

Well not exactly, mostly in the more organic sound. But i can definitely draw some parallels. Just don't expect TPE or RL sound. It's heavy, it's definitely progressive (time signatures and syncopation that we love about the band) but at the same time it's very different.

Definitely check it out, it's a very interesting album.

You could tell me the album was Daniel pissing inside a piano while chanting about his gigantic penis (which I haven't ruled out the possibility of him doing eventually) and I'd still check it out day of release.

I might not like it, but I'll always check it out.
The music or his gigantic penis?
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2556 on: December 14, 2016, 06:29:27 AM »
First review (Apparently - and suprisingly -  a realistic one?):https://www.rocking.gr/reviews/album/Pain-Of-Salvation-In-The-Passing-Light-Of-Day/7098

Google translator:

The course of Pain Of Salvation as reflected in their music development and through the decisions of their mastermind mind of Daniel Gildenlow, is at the same time chaotic and totally logical. Suffice someone is willing to follow the beliefs and the coherence of artistic concerns profess it.

But, they employ us sworn fans of the music of Pain Of Salvation and Daniel as personality. For all other enough to be moving another excellent album, which - like almost every album of this band - has its own special history.

Almost a decade ago, Daniel felt the need to move away from the progressive metal sound and to turn the music of the band to more organic and '70s paths, which paid off with two delicious "Road Salt" albums. Although this change seemed more permanent tensions and the members departures led to an even mandatory reboot, with almost total change of line-up, which also affected the musical band.

Some, perhaps, have the feeling that all these turbulences due to the fact how Daniel runs the band with the blacksmith punch, but is not at all so. Proof of this, how o Ragnar Zolberg, this petit and effeminate Icelander, has already become the wingman that Daniel sought from the time of Daniel Magdic and the first two albums of the band.

So, the first factor that determines the new album is that the line-up stabilized with the "old» Leo Margarit on drums, the Ragnar on guitars and vocals, the Daniel Karlsson be moved on keyboards and bass take the Gustaf Hielm. This is a very strong technical composition, while seems to have a calm and restore balance to the band.

The second factor was the crush of Daniel with death. Almost three years ago, he introduced rushed to the hospital to deal with a rare disease, a bacterium that ate the flesh. He had to undergo dangerous surgery and spent months in hospital, and the future seemed uncertain. Eventually, he managed to emerge stronger at all levels, but such a personal experience could only be watered in the medulla always sharp and highly personal content of the lyrics. In fact the lyrics are that largely determine the value of this album.

The third factor has to do with an offer accepted by the Prog Power festival in 2014, for a special look that would include the entire "Remedy Lane", which also accepted. At the same time they staged a reissue of the album with new mix and master, and eventually all this revival of "Remedy Lane" pushed the new material to the (at most) "golden" era of the band. That the principles of '00s.Toulachiston, it claimed its creators ...

It is, therefore, the "In The Passing Light Of Day" a dip in the past? Yes and no. From the first seconds of "On A Tuesday" it is understood that returned the heavy guitars and technical play. Or to put it more simply, returned the prog metal music of Pain Of Salvation. However, when during the 10-minute song starting things calm down, it becomes clear that the band substrate continues to be more organic, closer to the '70s sound of the previous two albums. More like a combination of two worlds, despite a unilateral return to the past, which eventually applies throughout the album. Lyrically, Daniel restores intense personal information of older easements, seeking the reasons that motivate the human species (and the same) to continue to strive for something seemingly futile.

Thereafter, the "Tongue Of God" just like the composition dreamed those excited by the theoretical return to "classic" sound of the band. Progressive approach staccato rhythms, double vocals with strong contribution from Ragnar and a Daniel more pissed off than ever messes with gods and demons. Fantastic!

Regarding "Meaningless", is a song that sticks in the mind and therefore you could say that is the role of "Barker". It is by far the most catchy cuts on the album, and composition of Ragnar has himself to interpret much of. They welcome decided to work on it and to include it in the album.

Curiously, the "Silent Gold" does not stick with any other composition in the album. It's a '70s ballad organic, which seems to have come straight from the "Road Salt" and is essentially a song by Daniel to his wife. But it is beautiful and gives a nice breath of the total flow.

Instead, the "Full Throttle Tribe" brings us back to prog metal molds, heavy guitars and technical play. Approaching and that ten minutes, is one of the strongest moments of the album, with a very special and particular chorus lyrics, as Daniel decides to explain what it's made and how it has taken a decision to see things in this life.

And the "Reasons" is probably the most prog metal song of the album and definitely the most special. With tremendous rate variations, polyphonic melodies, erotoapantiseis in verse and a nervous outburst from Daniel when listing the reasons crushes are already among my favorite album compositions.

The next triplet tracks is an audio link, which would describe as a mix of roughness "Scarsick" and organic play of "Road Salt", but with one of their own nature. In any case, however, in all three compositions by Daniel puts the knife a little deeper and twist it a little ache.

In "Angels Of Broken Things" talks about all these things that the constant pain managed to wear out and probably wondering if indeed what does not kill you makes you stronger or leaves broken eventually. By contrast, in "Taming Of The Beast" puts the alter ego of the surface, Icarus wants to reach in the sun even if burned and how hard it is to tame the "monster" lurking within. In particular, "If This Is The End" flirting with the idea that everything can be finished prematurely and faced with determination, but also with anger and irony.

All these lead to the grand finale of the 15-minute job eponymous song, similar song which certainly have not rewrite the Pain Of Salvation. He starts and ends calmly, strengthening the intermediate and is ultimately an ode by Daniel in life and in love, full of lyricism and emotions. Without becoming melodramatic or pedestrian, in the end leaves a sunbeam to penetrate and to recall how the long road of life there is an informal balance. Pain (pain) generously provided and we ourselves who must eventually find ourselves redemption (salvation) through it.

When you boot into the Pain Of Salvation, the vision of Daniel Gildenlow was to make the biggest band in the world. The child that grew and the dream died, but at the same time achieved something equally important: to offer a group of people a special link emotions with his music. And if the "In The Passing Light Of Day" is not the stuff of greatness of some earlier work, is irrelevant. Because, offers something different and gave back this link, which please forgive me if you do not spell it quite convincingly - I do not know if possible.

Maybe it takes time to indulge in a musical band or the temperament of Gildenow perhaps requires attention to the lyrics, maybe nothing of all this for some. Whatever you require, however, it is worth it. The music of Pain Of Salvation and return it to the above. The "In The Passing Light Of Day" is no exception.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #2557 on: December 14, 2016, 03:19:00 PM »
I feel like everyone who has heard the new album has specifically hyped up Full Throttle Tribe.

Online mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #2558 on: December 15, 2016, 01:30:47 PM »
P0S newbie. After listening to the first 4 cd 's:
Remedy lane is my initial favorite.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2559 on: December 15, 2016, 03:23:03 PM »
A fine choice, and one that many here will agree with. For me it's a close second to The Perfect Element. And you're still in for a treat if you haven't listened to 12:5 yet!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2560 on: December 15, 2016, 03:29:30 PM »
A fine choice, and one that many here will agree with. For me it's a close second to The Perfect Element. And you're still in for a treat if you haven't listened to 12:5 yet!

I agree with every word of this.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2561 on: December 15, 2016, 03:29:55 PM »

Out of the first four albums, I agree.

Now listen to BE and prepare to be amazed :corn

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2562 on: December 15, 2016, 04:52:51 PM »
Heh, Remedy Lane is probably my least favorite out of the first 4. Still a good album though.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #2563 on: December 15, 2016, 04:55:43 PM »
BE and RS1 are my favorites but the remix of Remedy Lane put it in third

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2564 on: December 16, 2016, 01:48:01 AM »
Nothing beats The Perfect Element but Remedy Lane and Entropia come close.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2565 on: December 16, 2016, 03:02:23 AM »
The review is borderline unreadable thanks to Google Translate :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #2566 on: December 16, 2016, 03:28:07 AM »
Yeah, does anyone know what "erotoapantiseis" is?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2567 on: December 16, 2016, 08:44:24 AM »
Probably the same as "whahibrido pickingant".
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #2568 on: December 16, 2016, 09:47:41 AM »
You're probably right.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2569 on: December 16, 2016, 01:21:30 PM »
I don't know, but it sounds HOT.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2570 on: December 16, 2016, 03:06:40 PM »
Nothing beats The Perfect Element but Remedy Lane and Entropia come close.

I'm more or less of this feeling, although I would put Remedy Lane above Entropia.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2571 on: December 16, 2016, 07:41:17 PM »
So, I apparently received the new Pain of Salvation about a month ago and just have been so busy I've not updated everything. Finally grabbed it today. I'm not going to pretend I'll be able to get a full review done in time so I'll just throw a few thoughts out here.

When you watch Meaningless you might think it's a little out there or jarring compared to the relative smoothness of the Road Salt albums. When you hear the two tracks that come before it you won't be nearly as jarred. After that the album has its moments of eclecticness, but not to the degree of the opening trio. It has its heavier moments, but doesn't ever sound like Scarsick, it's never quite that straight forward in its heaviness, or intention to be.

I would say at times it sounds a bit like one album or another, but I would not at any point say it sounds most like album x.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2572 on: December 17, 2016, 01:25:43 AM »

It's questions that are answered, like a dialogue. "Eroto" comes from "ερώτηση" which means question, "apantiseis" comes from "απαντήσεις" which means answers.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #2573 on: December 17, 2016, 01:29:08 AM »
Ok thank you, I thought it was just something google translator made up.  :lol

Offline ClairvoyantCat

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #2575 on: December 20, 2016, 06:27:16 PM »
I have a review copy as well and all I'll say is if you are a fan of anything before Road Salt, you should be very, very happy.  Like Nick said, it sounds like PoS, but you can't put the sound on any particular album.  The title track slays.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2576 on: December 21, 2016, 01:02:24 AM »
I'm pumped! The album does sound really interesting and I hope that I'll like it as much as you guys and the reviewer do. I'm a tad disappointed to read that there are no solos, as the guitar solos on their first four albums are some of my favorites, but we'll see how it works in context.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2577 on: December 21, 2016, 04:30:53 AM »
No solos at all?!  Errr.....that's really disappointing, but we'll see.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline killer_rose

« Reply #2578 on: December 22, 2016, 02:22:59 AM »
Guys, there ARE guitar solos in the album. Of course, not as much as some of you would hope to hear but the progressive approach this time is different and doesn't make me miss them, personally. There is an epic guitar solo at the end of "Angels of Broken Things" that's like 2-minutes and a half, it's very heartfelt. Also a David Gilmour-ish short solo in the title-track.
Btw, prepare to be surprised with a slight reprise of Ending Theme (from Remedy Lane) at one point that's even cited as such in the album booklet.  ;)

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #2579 on: December 22, 2016, 10:04:04 PM »
"Reasons" seems to be on Itunes...

and on Spotify now

Offline Adami

« Reply #2580 on: December 22, 2016, 10:10:31 PM »
Eh, wasn't impressed with the sample for Reasons, really sounded like Road Salt.

The production also sounds a lot like Road Salt, which is probably their worst album production wise.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #2581 on: December 22, 2016, 10:16:14 PM »
this is probably the most abrasive song I've ever heard from them.  Not sure if I even like it yet.  Not getting the Road Salt vibes really.  Sounds kinda like something from their first two albums taken to extremes.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2582 on: December 22, 2016, 10:20:35 PM »
this is probably the most abrasive song I've ever heard from them.  Not sure if I even like it yet.  Not getting the Road Salt vibes really.  Sounds kinda like something from their first two albums taken to extremes.

Did you hear the whole song? I just heard the 30 seconds or whatever preview on Itunes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #2583 on: December 22, 2016, 10:21:10 PM »
it's out on spotify

Offline killer_rose

« Reply #2584 on: December 22, 2016, 10:22:50 PM »
Video coming out today. :)

Offline Adami

« Reply #2585 on: December 22, 2016, 10:22:57 PM »
it's out on spotify

Never used it. :( Ah well, I can wait the three weeks or whatever.

I think for that 30 seconds, the part that really hurt it for me was the production. Just screamed that whole "We're going vintage raw!!!" that so many bands do where it sounds super digital and terrible because they're trying hard to sound bad.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2586 on: December 22, 2016, 10:34:59 PM »
I just listened and I don't think there's a single thing I like about "Reasons."

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #2587 on: December 22, 2016, 10:42:54 PM »
I'm really put off by the "These are the reasons" chorus. 

I kinda feel like this song is too prog to the point of showing off, and that's something I've very rarely felt about their music.  I guess it would be impressive if they pulled it off live. 

Offline killer_rose

« Reply #2588 on: December 22, 2016, 10:50:18 PM »
Guys, my suggestion is to give it some time and don't make any conclusions about the album. "Reasons" is a quite aggressive song and its sound/lyrics are basically needed at this part of the album/story. It perfectly comes together when you listen to it all.

Anyway, can't wait to see the video today.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #2589 on: December 22, 2016, 11:11:53 PM »
I like it. I don't think it's great, but it will probably grow on me. I remember someone in this thread saying the album had some "djenty" riffs, well, I can definitely hear a couple of "djenty" riffs in Reasons. Also, I think it's a pretty simple song.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 11:25:04 PM by NoseofNicko »