Author Topic: Concert etiquette and crappy fan thread.  (Read 12684 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Concert etiquette and crappy fan thread.
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2010, 12:46:19 PM »

1. I don't care if I'm boring to look at for the band. I paid them to get entertained. That's kind of the whole idea of stage performances.

GuitarCozmo hit the nail on the head.  A band is naturally going to feed off an energetic crowd, which will result in a better stage performance.

"If you want to sit down for a whole performance, go to a play or a movie, not a rock concert. "

Who are you to say what people should and shouldn't do? People who sit down also paid money to see the band play, so they can do anything they want during the performance.

That's fine, but it goes both ways.  Since I paid money, I can stand the whole show if I want, right?

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
At a Marilyn Manson show I went to with my brother a few years ago, there were some shitty scene kids standing directly in front of us. I don't know if they've never been to a rock concert before, but as the lights went dark for the band to take the stage and the audience pressed in on all sides, they had the nerve to turn around and tell my brother and I to stop shoving into them. As if we could do anything to stop the few hundred people behind us from driving us forward. We ignored them the first time, but a few seconds later they looked back at us again and screamed "STOP SHOVING!"

My brother, who's as big of an asshole as I am but without the impulse control, gets right into the kid's face and yells "THIS is a FUCKING METAL SHOW! PEOPLE SHOVE, and if your girly ass can't take it, SIT IN THE BACK WITH ALL THE OTHER PUSSIES!"

The kid gets all huffy and turns around. My brother, never one to stop once he's made his point, leans over the kid's shoulder and whispers in his ear, "Mmm, you even smell pretty, bitch."

I was amazed there were people who thought that people who went to rock concerts were planning to stand around nicely and make sure everyone has some elbow room.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2010, 04:34:06 PM »
One hundred thirty shows into my concert-going life and at every one I've been annoyed by SOMEONE. I've had the screaming chick, the folks that yell at you for standing up and cheering a song (and vice versa), the potheads (yes all lovers of the leaf, the shit stinks and people who don't smoke it, don't want it around them), the smokers, the talkers, the "I'm so fat I need three chairs but I only bought one so you are forced to bend to the will of my fat" people, the list goes on and on...

Yet for all the improvements in technology (Blu-rays with 5.1 sound are awesome on a 55" HD TV), concerts are still the places to be. I just now sit there and bitch to my wife and we enjoy the people watching.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2010, 05:40:13 PM »
the "I'm so fat I need three chairs but I only bought one so you are forced to bend to the will of my fat" people

lol

Who are you to say what people should and shouldn't do? People who sit down also paid money to see the band play, so they can do anything they want during the performance.

Except for the people that have to gall to stand when you want to sit, of course. ::)

"How dare you ruin the concert for me, now sit down and stop having such a good time! The nerve of some people."

Except that at most venues there's an entire section for people to stand in. Just how you wouldn't go into the pit and get pissed off that people are constantly bumping and rubbing into you, you shouldn't go into a seated area and expect to stand the entire time.

The problem is that some bands (like Dream Theater) like to book completely seated concerts.

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2010, 07:46:47 AM »
GuitarCozmo hit the nail on the head.  A band is naturally going to feed off an energetic crowd, which will result in a better stage performance.

That's true. However, for me headbanging/playing air guitar usually takes away a lot of the experience. I'd rather sit down and enjoy an average show than headbang, see an awesome stage performance and miss half of it. But that's personal preference ofcourse.

That's fine, but it goes both ways.  Since I paid money, I can stand the whole show if I want, right?

Sure, if you don't care about the people behind you. It's your call.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2010, 07:53:09 AM »
Then you are one of those poeple who should either stay home or sit near the back.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
At a Marilyn Manson show I went to with my brother a few years ago, there were some shitty scene kids standing directly in front of us. I don't know if they've never been to a rock concert before, but as the lights went dark for the band to take the stage and the audience pressed in on all sides, they had the nerve to turn around and tell my brother and I to stop shoving into them. As if we could do anything to stop the few hundred people behind us from driving us forward. We ignored them the first time, but a few seconds later they looked back at us again and screamed "STOP SHOVING!"

My brother, who's as big of an asshole as I am but without the impulse control, gets right into the kid's face and yells "THIS is a FUCKING METAL SHOW! PEOPLE SHOVE, and if your girly ass can't take it, SIT IN THE BACK WITH ALL THE OTHER PUSSIES!"

The kid gets all huffy and turns around. My brother, never one to stop once he's made his point, leans over the kid's shoulder and whispers in his ear, "Mmm, you even smell pretty, bitch."
Damn, your brother's great. The kid surely deserved that.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2010, 08:04:17 AM »

Sure, if you don't care about the people behind you. It's your call.

You obviously don't care about the rest of us, since you expect everyone else to sit down since all you want to do is sit down and quietly watch the performance, which ruins the experience for those of us who want to enjoy it to the fullest OUR WAY.  Really, it is the difference between watching the show and being in the show.

Not trying to be judgmental, but going to a rock concert, sitting down, and quietly watching the performance?  BORING.

Then you are one of those poeple who should either stay home or sit near the back.

Exactly. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2010, 08:19:28 AM »
It's pretty common for people to act like retards on concerts, i never expect people to just appreciate the music without making a scene. :P
The only thing i dislike though, is people having seated-tickets but standing up all the time.
Seriously, if you want to stand up you shouldn't have bought a seated-ticket.
And i'm not talking about like.. everyone standing up and applauding after the last song, i'm talking about the type of people that stands up on pretty much every song, i certainly didn't pay money to see the back of some douche for 2 hours.

On the positive side, i rarely buy seated-tickets. :P

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2010, 08:30:15 AM »
since you expect everyone else to sit down

Really? Quote me saying that.

since all you want to do is sit down and quietly watch the performance, which ruins the experience for those of us who want to enjoy it to the fullest OUR WAY.

Again, I never said that. What do you not understand about the word sometimes?

Not trying to be judgmental, but going to a rock concert, sitting down, and quietly watching the performance?  BORING.

Okay. Good for you.

I usually do sit near the back. Since the venues I visit are generally quite small that's not much of a problem. Often there's a sizeable group of people sitting down there, so it's not all that uncommon where I live. Maybe it's different in the USA.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2010, 08:40:55 AM »
You are basically implying it, rather than saying the exact words. 

As for the word "sometimes," so, if you want to sit down, should everyone standing up in front of you sit down during those (some)times you want to sit down?

At this point, I need to reiterate that I am not one of those people who will stand up to be a jerk if everyone else is sitting down, but, again, my point is that if you are going to a rock show, you had better expect to stand up for most of all of it.  At the Rush concert the other night, 95% of the crowd with seats were standing for the entire show (at least they were the many times I looked around, as I like to do that at times to see how the crowd looks). 

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2010, 08:41:36 AM »
See, this is why I don't go to the movies anymore - Other people completely ruin the experience. I'll rather wait for the DVD to come out, thanks.

But other people ruining concerts? Yeah, it grates. The worst offence is camera phones. Seriously, it's hard enough to see over people's heads without there being this sea of phones up there the entire f*cking time. What is it with people? THE BAND IS UP THERE ON THE STAGE IN HIGH-DEFINITION REALITY- WHY ARE YOUWATCHING THE ENTIRE CONCERT ON A SH1TTY ONE INCH SCREEN????
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2010, 08:52:27 AM »
Heh, so true, but I pretty much expect to see some peeps holding up their cells to record something or take a picture, so it doesn't bother me that much anymore.  It doesn't ruin my experience; they are only ruining their own experience. :biggrin:

« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2010, 08:59:11 AM »
You are basically implying it, rather than saying the exact words. 

I wasn't aware it came across that way.

As for the word "sometimes," so, if you want to sit down, should everyone standing up in front of you sit down during those (some)times you want to sit down?

No. But my point was that if everyone's sitting down and there's one person standing in front of you it's annoying. Of course I will stand up if everyone's standing up, else I wouldn't see anything.

At this point, I need to reiterate that I am not one of those people who will stand up to be a jerk if everyone else is sitting down, but, again, my point is that if you are going to a rock show, you had better expect to stand up for most of all of it.  At the Rush concert the other night, 95% of the crowd with seats were standing for the entire show (at least they were the many times I looked around, as I like to do that at times to see how the crowd looks). 

At most of the concerts I visit there's a sizeable amount of people sitting down. Since American culture favours extroversion it's quite possible that in the concerts you visit more (or most) people stand up and rock out than at the concerts in my country. In that case you would be right about expecting to stand up.

See, this is why I don't go to the movies anymore - Other people completely ruin the experience. I'll rather wait for the DVD to come out, thanks.

But other people ruining concerts? Yeah, it grates. The worst offence is camera phones. Seriously, it's hard enough to see over people's heads without there being this sea of phones up there the entire f*cking time. What is it with people? THE BAND IS UP THERE ON THE STAGE IN HIGH-DEFINITION REALITY- WHY ARE YOUWATCHING THE ENTIRE CONCERT ON A SH1TTY ONE INCH SCREEN????

Sometimes when it's a camera with a reasonably high optical zoom I actually like it when they do that because you can see close ups that you would otherwise not be able to see with the naked eye. I agree that's it's annoying when there are tons of them though.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2010, 09:06:29 AM »
At most of the concerts I visit there's a sizeable amount of people sitting down. Since American culture favours extroversion it's quite possible that in the concerts you visit more (or most) people stand up and rock out than at the concerts in my country. In that case you would be right about expecting to stand up.

I don't know that that's really what the issue is--especially since I've seen so many European bands express frustration with the American crowds as being too passive and not being into the show.  Seems to me like it's the opposite of what you are describing, actually.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2010, 09:14:05 AM »

I don't know that that's really what the issue is--especially since I've seen so many European bands express frustration with the American crowds as being too passive and not being into the show.  Seems to me like it's the opposite of what you are describing, actually.

It is. I don't know. All I know is that there's usually a good chunk of the crowd sitting down here. Maybe the people in my country/at the concerts I visit are just lazy  ;D.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2010, 09:15:10 AM »
ITS BECAUSE AMERICANS ARE SO FAT AND LETHARGIC AMIRITE

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2010, 09:17:24 AM »
The only thing that I cannot stand is smoking..but that's just not at concerts.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2010, 09:19:09 AM »

I don't know that that's really what the issue is--especially since I've seen so many European bands express frustration with the American crowds as being too passive and not being into the show.  Seems to me like it's the opposite of what you are describing, actually.

It is. I don't know. All I know is that there's usually a good chunk of the crowd sitting down here. Maybe the people in my country/at the concerts I visit are just lazy  ;D.

GET OUT OF YOUR LAZY, APATHETIC TOWN RIGHT NOW BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!  :biggrin:

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2010, 09:32:17 AM »

This.  Probably a good thing that your brother doesn't post here, as there would be opportunities to steal your well-earned thunder.  Though it could make for twice the amount of epic win.  Hmmm.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2010, 01:37:26 PM »
Not trying to be judgmental, but going to a rock concert, sitting down, and quietly watching the performance?  BORING.

lol
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2010, 01:46:16 PM »
I'm kinda torn. One hand I like to stand up during shows... I wouldn't really say I "rock out", but I like to kinda nod my head to the beat and do a little drumming with my fingers on my leg or something. On the other hand, I don't really like to mosh/jump around/all that. Sometimes I like to just sit down and watch the band play... I still get into the music, and I still bob my head and tap on my leg.

But what DOES bug me is when people will sit down for songs they don't know, and only stand for the popular hits. I see this a lot. The 4 or 5 songs that are popular by a band are the ones everyone gets up and dances to, and then every other song is just people sitting in their seats acting like they don't give a shit. Thats always bugged me, and is probably the reason so many bigger bands only play the popular songs... seeing a crowd sit through most of your set and only stand when you play a couple songs they know has to be a pretty strong motivation to play a set full of your radio hits and forget the album cuts.

Also, Sigz, I dunno about in California, but here in MA most of the venues/shows are all seated... some of the smaller venues for lesser known bands/metal shows are standing room, but the majority of concerts I go to are either sitting only or standing only with a couple of seats available.

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2010, 02:02:03 PM »
I'm kinda torn. One hand I like to stand up during shows... I wouldn't really say I "rock out", but I like to kinda nod my head to the beat and do a little drumming with my fingers on my leg or something. On the other hand, I don't really like to mosh/jump around/all that. Sometimes I like to just sit down and watch the band play... I still get into the music, and I still bob my head and tap on my leg.

This is my in a nutshell, Z. I used to be diehard into the pit, but once I had surgery on my arm I can't do it anymore. If I do I run the risk of snapping it in half. However, I know what you mean about tapping the foot. Last concert I went to I was pounding that thing on the ground.

As for the initial concern about concert etiquette, I think it varies from one situation/concert to the next, and there will always be circumstances where one side of the spectrum will outweigh the other (sitting and peacefully enjoying the concert vs. rocking out with your cock out). I do however think there is an unwritten code about common courtesy in your general standing/sitting vicinity where you should take others concerns into consideration, and I assure you it's a two way street. When I went to my last concert, I wasn't able to see properly because the guy in front of me was swaying side to side and I had to keep changing my view. It wasn't until I asked the guy to stop that he understood to stop. Common courtesy is out there, I think you just need to not act like a dick (loose definition) and try to have a good time in your own respect.

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2010, 03:17:26 PM »
Who the hell cars if you're standing or sitting, its not like it makes much of a difference about anything. You are still just in the same spot, doing nothing important, watching a concert. If you want to "be a part of the show" then go into the pit, go crowd surfing, BE A PART OF THE SHOW. Standing and sitting in one spot make no difference at all, just that standing gets your legs tired.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2010, 03:19:46 PM »
But then you can't realistically air drum along with Portnoy to show everyone how talented and awesome of a drummer you are.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: By the way, how do you smell?
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2010, 04:33:40 PM »

This.  Probably a good thing that your brother doesn't post here, as there would be opportunities to steal your well-earned thunder.  Though it could make for twice the amount of epic win.  Hmmm.

My brother is pretty awesome, but he hates Dream Theater with a passion. If he came here, you'd all be that shitty scene kid in his eyes, and it'd get tiresome for all involved, I promise you that.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2010, 04:48:42 PM »
People standing who get pissed off at people moving around shouldn't be in standing/the gig.

People seated who get pissed off at people standing should cry moar and stand themselves, unless in a wheelchair in which case they are excused.