Author Topic: Band, I Am Disappoint.  (Read 7723 times)

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
Re: Band, I Am Disappoint.
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2010, 10:33:59 AM »
Guns 'N' Roses - Chinese Democracy
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2010, 11:46:34 AM »
@TGM discussion - I've gotta say this was a HUGE let-down for me as well. When Tommy said "I think we are going to OUT-DO COLORS" he shot himself and the band straight in the foot. The result was a half-assed attempt at copying ones own sound and turned out half as good. Granted, the band went in the right direction a few times (namely Mirrors, the best track on the album). But overall, it stopped being about making awesome quirky music because it's fun, and became about writing awesome quirky music because that's what became popular. That transition of mindset ended up messing with the result, and as Orcus said, TGM sounds exactly like a Colors B-side album. I guess it just doesn't tend to work out when a band tries to one up themselves, rather than just making the music they love.

Of course I could just be full of shit and the entire album is a genuine effort that just didn't stand up and I'm being too hard on it. Oh well.

Offline ehra

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2010, 11:52:41 AM »

You expected otherwise?

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2010, 12:05:29 PM »
Where to begin....

Dream Evil's In the Night was a huge disappointment, seeing how the band had released nothing but solid power metal albums up until this point. It's not necessarily bad, but has absolutely NO innovation whatsoever. Every song has a guitar solo kick in around the same timeslot and it's just...uninspired compared to earlier work (if you ask me at least)

King Diamond's Give Me Your Soul...Please. Keep in mind I got this album after just getting into KD the year before. Until this release, I only heard a greatest hits album, Them and Abigail. So when this album came out, I was disappointed at a lot of the guitar tones and KD's vocal performance seemed rather weak.

Holt shit.  2 amazing album IMO.  In the Night was quite a solid album all the way through.  Give Me Your Soul was released 20+ years after them and Abigail, please keep that in mind.  King's later work is more polished but is still awesome in every way.  Check the Pupper Master or Abigail 2.

Really listen to Give Me Your Soul, be open minded and let it grow, it's quite a magnificent album.
Eh, maybe my hopes were to high for Dream Evil. I just felt that the album was rather uninspired and they just needed a new release seeing how it's been a long time since United was released. I will say this, the CD booklet provided some of the best lulz I've had in a long time.

And about Give Me Your Soul...Please, I already stated why I was disappointed by it. I guess it has slightly grown on me since the release, but still remains my least listened to KD album.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2010, 02:06:17 PM »
DT-Systematic Chaos (realized it was a disappointment a year after it came out)
Muse-The Resistance

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2010, 09:56:37 PM »
1) Load is one of Metallica's best and ReLoad is decent as well. The change in style has nothing to do with the quality of something.
Exactly.

The quality was shit regardless of the style.

My picks:
Megadeth - United Abominations - Just... ugh... so very bad. Felt very uninspired, with some truly shit lyrics and terrible vocals from Mustaine. Sure, his vox have never been good, but hear they just feel at odds with the music.
Dream Theater - Black Clouds and Silver Linings - I just... cannot get into this album.
The Mars Volta - The Bedlam in Goliath - 'Melody' is a term that the band raped and threw in a ditch when they made this album.
Clutch - Strange Cousins From the West - I miss their wackier, more inspired music. I'm not that big a fan of their more blues-oriented sound.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2010, 10:06:27 PM »
Bedlam is awesome, though it could have used a little editing.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2010, 10:16:13 PM »
Understatement of the year.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2010, 10:31:30 PM »
...And how could I have forgotten The Mars Volta?

I was one of those people who was on board at the beginning of the TMV project, and when Deloused finally came out, I was sure that there'd never be a better band with a better album. Never ever. For awhile, The Mars Volta represented for me the absolute highest that rock music could be.

And then Francis came out, and, while it wasn't as good as Deloused, it was still pretty damn good. I really delved into that album, learning all about the "concept" and what the songs meant and so on.

And then came that day I will always remember: the day Amputechture came out.  My dad had driven me to Best Buy to get it (he also was pretty impressed with the earlier 2 TMV albums).  As soon as I popped it in the CD player, I knew something wasn't the same. Midway through, as I was pretending to like it, my dad made some snarky comment like, "These guys play like a bunch of heroin addicts."

And, while I didn't like hearing that, I knew there was just a bit of truth to it. The Mars Volta had officially become too "out there," too drugged up, too masturbatory on both a creative and lyrical level, too serious about themselves, etc. Interviews I would read of the band later would only confirm this.

When I heard the first "singles" for Bedlam, I was pretty impressed. Until I realized that those four "teaser" songs were actually the only good the album had to offer, period.

And Octehedron is a joke. Seriously. It's an album for late-comers who don't mind drinking left-over beer out of long-abandoned solo cups, even though the party's ended and everyone's already passed out.

Ok... so... it's late, and maybe I'm waxing poetic here, so let me just say: I've talked to many people who've seen TMV live, and they've ALL returned sorely disappointed. Hell, I don't know ANYONE into TMV who isn't sorely disappointed, for one reason or another.

The Mars Volta- My biggest musical disappointment EVER.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2010, 10:35:29 PM »
Amputecture has some of the best stuff they've ever done, but overall it's extremely mediocre. Octahedron is really meh. I enjoyed it the first listen, but it just doesn't do anything for me.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2010, 10:36:30 PM »
I'm not big on Amputecture at all.  Bedlam has some of their best songs and a lot of meh.  Octahedron actually ranks higher than Frances for me.  De-Loused is amazing.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2010, 10:41:04 PM »
You're deaf if you think Swim To The Moon is an attempt to copy White Walls. White Walls is a prototypical "epic closing" song while Swim To The Moon is a relentless powerhouse of unique instrumental concepts.

I find a parallel to The Glass Prison with Swim To The Moon in that both songs are longer "hard" songs without compromise. There's no "slow section" occupying a large portion of the song. Which is rare to find. (by my standards at least) Most songs that have the energy of Swim To The Moon regularly have a melodic section or simply end at the 4 minute mark.

It's rare to see a song go so hard for song long. And I love it because of that... and the chorus is awesome as well.

Yeah, that keyboard solo is so unique and awesome.

EDIT: Oh, and this:

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2010, 10:55:15 PM »
Alright, those of you that like Bedlam, what songs would you recommend from it? I kinda like "Goliath," "Agadez," and "Soothsayer," but nothing else has jumped out at me.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2010, 11:21:51 PM »
I really like "Metatron" myself.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2010, 11:27:39 PM »
Ouroboros is the best them on Bedlam.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2010, 11:27:53 PM »
Ouroboros is the best them on Bedlam.

This is truth.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2010, 11:48:39 PM »
I prefer Amputechture to Deloused overall. I thought it was far worse than the previous two at first, but I grew to really enjoy it.

Still haven't heard a second of the latest two, but considering that most people don't favour Amputechture and I love that, there's still a very good chance I will at least enjoy those albums.

In fact, if there's anything by this band that is the real disappointment, it's Scab Dates. What a pile of crap that was. But then it's live, and TMV just look awful live. And it has no effect on my enjoyment of their studio output.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2010, 04:13:49 AM »

I didn't like this album, but I honestly expected it to be much, much worse.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2010, 05:40:57 AM »
2010 has had a size-able list of disappointments, much like 2009 did.

Offline ehra

« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2010, 09:10:45 AM »
I finally got around to listening to Lostprophets' The Betrayed. Only about halfway through, but unless it starts to get ridiculously good then I'm going to put this down as a disappointment. The first song was pretty good, but other than that this is their worst yet. It's not even fucking close.  :sadpanda:

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2010, 09:18:55 PM »
A like 311 a lot. Especially the stuff from the 90's. But their latest album is terrible!

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2010, 10:13:20 PM »
Uplifter is really meh with a lot of filler songs. "It's Alright" is a really good song, tho.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2010, 10:25:15 PM »
I just went through every artist I own, and I'm hard pressed to point out anything. Maybe I'm not approaching it with the right mindset, but any lackluster albums I own are by artists that I don't really expect consistent excellence from.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2010, 10:27:07 PM »
I think that you ARE approaching it with the right mindset then! :tup

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2010, 10:50:31 PM »

You expected otherwise?

I honestly did, the demos were awesome. When the album came out Axl had added all kinds of vocal affects, layers and instruments. It just killed the album, I can only think of one song that was relatively unchanged (other than better production) and thats "Better".

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2010, 10:55:46 PM »
Weezer. Everything after Pinkerton

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2010, 05:34:41 AM »
A like 311 a lot. Especially the stuff from the 90's. But their latest album is terrible!

Aw man, I love the new cd.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC