Author Topic: Band, I Am Disappoint.  (Read 7724 times)

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
Band, I Am Disappoint.
« on: August 21, 2010, 01:13:03 PM »
I don't know if there have been threads like this before. I was thinking about what artists and bands have disappointed this forum's people, whether it is in terms of attitude (They came out to be douchebags personally) or music (Let-down albums).

Mine would be (All of them are musical disappointments):

Lacuna Coil with Shallow Life: What the fuck. While everybody hated Karmacode when it came out, I thought that, even though it was nothing like Comalies or Unleashed Memories, it was a pretty decent album. But this one really was awful. "I like it" was a song that made me fucking cringe.

Linkin Park with Minutes to Midnight: Back when I was younger and I wasn't into "real" Metal yet, I used to be a Linkin Park fan. Then this album came out. I slowly started being less and less interested in LP. Then I forgot them for a long time, and when "New Divide" came out I started to hate them.

Soilwork with Sworn to a New Divide: The most uninspired Soilwork album along with Figure Number Five. Almost all of the songs start promising and then come out to be boring. I enjoy one song from that album, though: "The Pittsburgh Syndrome".

Megadeth with United Abominations: Before the shitstorm starts, yeah. I liked The System Has failed a lot the first time I heard it, but when I heard this album... I don't know. It jsut didn't grew on me. "Sleepwalker", "Washington is Next!" and "Burnt Ice" are pretty cool songs, but I don't know about the rest. They're not bad, but they sound really uninspired IMO. Also DAVE YOU SHOULD HAVE LEFT A TOUT LE MONDE ALONE :facepalm:

And of course,
Metallica with St. Anger: I discovered Metallica a lot later than when they released St. Anger, but I was discovering their albums chronologically (Same happened with Megadeth), and I found this. While "Frantic" seemed to be OK, "St. Anger" was a huge :facepalm: for me. The album had a few good songs ("All Within My Hands", "The Unnamed Feeling"), but for the rest, no. It may have been Metallica's way to say "Fuck the world, we are almost breaking up and we are tired of a lot of people's shit", but that doesn't save it from being bad. Also "Invisible Kid" is for me the worst Metallica song ever.

So how about you guys?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 01:28:45 PM by LCArenas »

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
Re: Band, I Am Disappoint.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 01:24:24 PM »
The Offspring - Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace
Splinter was good in parts, even if it did have a lot of poor tracks, but this album was just weak in every sense. At least the performances on Splinter sounded like they enjoyed playing them.
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 01:30:32 PM »
Between the Buried and Me - The Great Misdirect - What a clusterfuck.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 02:04:39 PM »
Pantera - Reinventing The Steel - Just was no way near as good as their 90's albums.
Anthrax - Stomp 442 - Very bad album overall
Metallica - St Anger - Obvious choice...

Can't really think of any more off the top of my head. Normally its very hard for a band to dissapoint me with an album.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 03:07:48 PM »
Yes-90125, Big Generator

Not that they were terrible albums, but after listening to all their other stuff for so many years, and to have them do a 180 in style, it just made me  :(.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 03:11:29 PM »
I happen to enjoy TGM a lot, but "clusterfuck" is such a perfect way to describe it regardless. :lol

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 03:15:10 PM »
I don't get why St. Anger is a disappointment necessarily...after Load and ReLoad what did you expect?
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 03:23:36 PM »
I don't get why St. Anger is a disappointment necessarily...after Load and ReLoad what did you expect?

Something awesome like Load or a good part of ReLoad?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 03:23:52 PM »
Um.. what did we expect? Well, I was in 8th grade. I expected something along the lines of Death Magnetic.

I did not expect the artform that is St. Anger.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 03:34:12 PM »

>Implying Load/ReLoad were awesome.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 03:42:29 PM »

>Implying they weren't excellent albums. (Well, ReLoad wasn't excellent but it was decent for me)

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 03:49:51 PM »

>Implying they weren't excellent albums. (Well, ReLoad wasn't excellent but it was decent for me)
>Implying they aren't awful.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 03:50:23 PM »
Yes-90125, Big Generator

Not that they were terrible albums, but after listening to all their other stuff for so many years, and to have them do a 180 in style, it just made me  :(.

I actually enjoy listening to 90125, but not Big Generator, although I would take either of those albums over Open Your Eyes. Infact I think I have only listened to OYE once or twice...what a travesty of an album, especially coming off  the 96-97 songs that make up "Keystudio"/Keys To Ascension.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 04:03:11 PM »
Linkin Park's new song The Catalyst makes me want to punch a hole in the wall. I'm not even that much of a fan anymore, but I literally can't get past how bad it is, and how they've literally screwed up every single aspect of their sound. It's unreal. I can't believe a band could fuck up this badly.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 04:18:18 PM »
Aerosmith for the past three years. Maybe I just know too much about the inner tensions of the band (before it was all publicized) but I just am disappointed over and over by them as of late. The 70s albums and some of the later stuff is great though.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 05:39:36 PM »
Between the Buried and Me - The Great Misdirect - What a clusterfuck.

Definitely this.

Dream Theater: Black Clouds And Silver Linings. Yes, it's an improvement over SC in certain areas but even that album had somewhat of a "this is really good" period from me. I listened to Black Clouds probably twice all the way through and I have no desire to return.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2010, 06:00:03 PM »

Load's not awful, Load's awesome.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2010, 07:49:28 PM »
I love Sworn To A Great Divide :(

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2010, 10:01:03 PM »
Aerosmith for the past three years. Maybe I just know too much about the inner tensions of the band (before it was all publicized) but I just am disappointed over and over by them as of late. The 70s albums and some of the later stuff is great though.
I always felt that Aerosmith after they sobered up just fell so much.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2010, 10:06:03 PM »
I'm only going to mention ones which I experienced with the album's release (except for the last).

Silverchair's Young Modern. It wasn't terrible, but after Diorama, I was hoping for another excellent album. I don't think I'd even call YM a very good album overall. Having said that, they did still experiment rather than trying to copy Diorama, so again, it could have been worse.

I would say APC's Emotive, but I've still never bothered to listen past the first three tracks. As bad as an album is, and as much as you like the band, if you didn't even bother to listen to it, I guess you can't really be disappointed.

Machine Head's Supercharger. I still remember hearing Bulldozer on the radio before the album came out and going, "yeah, this album's gonna be great". I wasn't fussed for a single other track.

Gnarls Barkley's The Odd Couple. Another album full of great ideas, but most of them end in average songs.

Death Magnetic. I've said plenty on this in the past. I ended up really liking St Anger over time. This album sees the band go stale in terms of both music and direction.

Audioslave's Revelations.  I thought their second album was still pretty good, if not as great as their first. As with all sophomore slumps, they could have hit back. Never have I heard a band peter out like on this album. I actually listened all the way through, and nothing happens.

Damien Rice's 0. I heard 9 first, and I'm still totally baffled as to why 0 is seen as the better album by most fans. 9 has more variety and is consistently far stronger song for song. 0 is largely monotonous, tries far too hard to sound weepy and melancholic (this album is basically the guidebook on How to Overuse a Cello), and, probably worst of all, has the song Cannonball on it.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 01:37:03 AM »
Where to begin....

Dream Evil's In the Night was a huge disappointment, seeing how the band had released nothing but solid power metal albums up until this point. It's not necessarily bad, but has absolutely NO innovation whatsoever. Every song has a guitar solo kick in around the same timeslot and it's just...uninspired compared to earlier work (if you ask me at least)

Rob Zombie's Hellbilly Deluxe 2 resulted in being ultimately unlistenable. I grew up loving Zombie at an early age. Got into his music around 5th grade and have been following his work since. But this album was one of the biggest disappointments in the past couple years. It's just plain old awful. Nothing about it is good. And we've waited since 2005 for a new album. God damn.

King Diamond's Give Me Your Soul...Please. Keep in mind I got this album after just getting into KD the year before. Until this release, I only heard a greatest hits album, Them and Abigail. So when this album came out, I was disappointed at a lot of the guitar tones and KD's vocal performance seemed rather weak.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 04:37:33 AM »
Where to begin....

Dream Evil's In the Night was a huge disappointment, seeing how the band had released nothing but solid power metal albums up until this point. It's not necessarily bad, but has absolutely NO innovation whatsoever. Every song has a guitar solo kick in around the same timeslot and it's just...uninspired compared to earlier work (if you ask me at least)

King Diamond's Give Me Your Soul...Please. Keep in mind I got this album after just getting into KD the year before. Until this release, I only heard a greatest hits album, Them and Abigail. So when this album came out, I was disappointed at a lot of the guitar tones and KD's vocal performance seemed rather weak.

Holt shit.  2 amazing album IMO.  In the Night was quite a solid album all the way through.  Give Me Your Soul was released 20+ years after them and Abigail, please keep that in mind.  King's later work is more polished but is still awesome in every way.  Check the Pupper Master or Abigail 2.

Really listen to Give Me Your Soul, be open minded and let it grow, it's quite a magnificent album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 05:16:27 AM »

Load's not awful, Load's awesome.

Load and ReLoad are both really average at best.
With Metallica being in such a meltdown around St. Anger I find it hard to believe anyone really expected anything brilliant. (Actualy tbf it's nowhere near as bad as many people say it is)
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 05:49:41 AM »

Silverchair's Young Modern. It wasn't terrible, but after Diorama, I was hoping for another excellent album. I don't think I'd even call YM a very good album overall. Having said that, they did still experiment rather than trying to copy Diorama, so again, it could have been worse.

I agree with you 100%.  They album is good but Diorama is great.  I do also love that they are experimenting though.  The concept of bands like Silverchair growning by leaps and bounds would make a good topic.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2010, 06:25:24 AM »
Symphony X - Paradise Lost
Only a mild disappointment, but I wish they still tried to do stuff like from the earlier albums. It's a bit too straight forward power metal now.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2010, 07:07:22 AM »
YEAR OF THE BLACK RAINBOW

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2010, 07:43:51 AM »
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos
Avenged Sevenfold - Self Titled
Metallica - St. Anger
Metallica - Death Magnetic
Between the Buried and Me - The Great Misdirect
Audioslave - Out of Exile
Audioslave - Revelations
The Offspring - Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2010, 08:19:18 AM »
Nightwish's Dark Passion Play.

While I've never been a huge Nightwish fan, I really do think they were coming into their own with the two albums preceding DPP. And then Tarja left, and, while the music is still good, the band's taken a nose-dive in terms of lyrics and vocals.

I really wanted to like Annette, too. But after seeing several videos of her singing live, I can't imagine why the band chose her. She simply does not have the voice to pull off the songs the fans want to hear live. She doesn't even really have the voice to pull off her material live. She's a studio singer, through and through. That's not an issue, per se, but since one of the reasons Tarja left is because she didn't want to do the extensive world-touring that the rest of the guys did, I find it really strange.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2010, 08:30:23 AM »
I really don't get the animosity for The Great Misdirect..... especially because it's so similar to Colors which everybody loves.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2010, 08:42:40 AM »
 :rollin Wow, saving that pic.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2010, 09:15:34 AM »
I really don't get the animosity for The Great Misdirect..... especially because it's so similar to Colors which everybody loves.

:lol at the picture.

I don't really think the albums are that similar. In terms of the style of the music, yes, but it that regards it sounds like the band was trying to mimic what they did on Colors without realizing how they even came up with the album in the first place. Colors has great riffs, is fairly well organized, and is a very well rounded package. The Great Misdirect sounds like a bunch of Colors B-side riffs/sections thrown together in that "well we're known as a band who puts two wacky sections together so let's do it!" kinda way. There is no greater example of the flaws of The Great Misdirect than "Swim To The Moon". It's bloated, overly long, the sections go from kinda interesting to downright boring and I honestly have no idea what the band was thinking aside from trying to write a second "White Walls". The album does have a few bright spots, namely "Mirrors", "Desert of Song", and scattered sections throughout the album but I'm still sticking to my Colors B-side description. The material just isn't that good.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 10:07:10 AM by orcus116 »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2010, 09:19:31 AM »

1) Load is one of Metallica's best and ReLoad is decent as well. The change in style has nothing to do with the quality of something.
2) That retarded meme is starting to get on my nerves. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2010, 10:06:17 AM »
You're deaf if you think Swim To The Moon is an attempt to copy White Walls. White Walls is a prototypical "epic closing" song while Swim To The Moon is a relentless powerhouse of unique instrumental concepts.

I find a parallel to The Glass Prison with Swim To The Moon in that both songs are longer "hard" songs without compromise. There's no "slow section" occupying a large portion of the song. Which is rare to find. (by my standards at least) Most songs that have the energy of Swim To The Moon regularly have a melodic section or simply end at the 4 minute mark.

It's rare to see a song go so hard for song long. And I love it because of that... and the chorus is awesome as well.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2010, 10:16:18 AM »
I still don't get how TGM is worse than Colors.

Between the Buried and Me are basically known for one thing: generic metal that's saved by proggy sections and exceptional chops. Colors has more generic metal than TGM.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2010, 10:25:04 AM »

1) Load is one of Metallica's best and ReLoad is decent as well. The change in style has nothing to do with the quality of something.
2) That retarded meme is starting to get on my nerves. :P
1. I don't mind that Metallica decided to change their direction, it was pretty obvious from the massive sales of The Black Album that they weren't going back to the Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning style stuff. Its just that Metallica aren't very good at writing rock songs period. There are a few decent songs littered about in between those two albums, but its nothing I want to listen to. St. Anger was just the icing on the cake at that point. Death Magnetic was hounded by terrible production and overall it was a boring album. I found nothing in Death Magnetic that showed that Metallica were "Returning to form".
2. :lol