Poll

Vote wisely

Gandalf
72 (73.5%)
Dumbledore
26 (26.5%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Who wins?  (Read 36204 times)

Offline Jarlaxle

Re: Who wins?
« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2010, 03:03:16 PM »
I still can't put aside the fact that Dumbledore sacrificed himself for the greatest good

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2010, 03:19:08 PM »
I still can't put aside the fact that Dumbledore sacrificed himself for the greatest good
So did Gandalf, he just happened to come back to life.

Offline FinkPloyd

« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2010, 03:39:01 PM »
Sorry, I didn't explain myself fully. Dumbledore planned his own murder, he knew it had to happen so he made it happen.

Spoiler spoils the spoil.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #108 on: August 23, 2010, 03:45:04 PM »
It had been said here before, and if you didn't know that already you probably didn't care about HP in the first place

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #109 on: August 23, 2010, 03:47:25 PM »
Acidrain is reading the books right now, and just because someone hasn't read something yet is no excuse to spoil it.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline FinkPloyd

« Reply #110 on: August 23, 2010, 03:48:35 PM »
Nope I knew. But..There can be somone hasn't read it yet and also that doesn't mean you can give spoils because someone already did this shit.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2010, 03:53:16 PM »
Well the book has been out for how long? Another message board I am a member of has a 2 year period where talking about something is considered a spoiler, I just assumed that was online protocol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2010, 03:57:38 PM »
What I really don't understand about that shirt, though is the line "I just saved you 4 hours..." 4 hours? Really? Bullshit. No one could read that whole book in 4 hours.
Massive losers can. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2010, 04:00:53 PM »
What I really don't understand about that shirt, though is the line "I just saved you 4 hours..." 4 hours? Really? Bullshit. No one could read that whole book in 4 hours.
Maybe it means 4 hours of the movie?

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: Four hours in thumbscrews, that is
« Reply #114 on: August 23, 2010, 04:03:19 PM »
Maybe it means 4 hours of the movie?

Hey now, the movie only felt like four hours.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2010, 04:08:06 PM »
:lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: August 23, 2010, 04:09:15 PM »
I've yet to see the 6th movie. Am I missing out? I heard there were tons of scenes added in that were never in the book.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #117 on: August 23, 2010, 04:19:12 PM »
Jarlaxle, don't post spoilers in a thread without spoiler tags or at least reducing the font.  That's incredibly inconsiderate.  Post removed.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: And now my ears are bleeding. That's bad, right?
« Reply #118 on: August 23, 2010, 04:29:44 PM »
I've yet to see the 6th movie. Am I missing out? I heard there were tons of scenes added in that were never in the book.

I don't think there's a word that exists in the English language to properly explain just how bored I was of it and how badly I wanted to be doing ANYTHING other than watching it. So I'll rant:

*SPOILER ALERT!!!*

Perhaps the greatest example of something that was added in would be the burrow scene. It's Christmas and everyone's celebrating at the Weasely's house, when all of a sudden, there's an attack... of some sort, I dunno. There's some people flying around outside and generally being annoying. So Harry chases after them into a big cornfield, and Ginny chases after him, but she gets lost, and cornered by a guy who wasn't really that important in the books and is even less-so in the movies. Yes, cornered in a cornfield. There was a... a pond, I guess. 'Cause fuck it, y'know? And Harry shows up and sorta saves her. The dude turns into a cloud and flies away. And then he and another cloud, which was Bellatrix ('Cause when you pay for Helena Bonham-Carter's services, you're gonna want to use her as much as possible, especially when you cut out her best scenes from the book. Am I making sense yet? No? Good.) and they light the house on fire and fly away, and all of the good guys are just staring at this huge five story flaming pile of home and shit, and you as the audience are yelling at the TV, "You're wizards! You have wands! Conjure some water or a big fucking blanket or a hurricane! Stop being so useless!" And then the movie continues, and no one makes mention of it. Ron isn't all like "My home is destroyed, where am I gonna go this summer?" and Ginny's all like "Oh Harry, do me right here in the Room of Deus Ex Machina! I'm so distraught now that my family's homeless, I'll let you do whatever you want to me!" The entire scene is pointless. The entire movie is pointless. Why did I write this rant? Life is pointless. I learned that from Harry Potter.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 04:40:47 PM by bösk1 »

LHK is beyond EPIC.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: August 23, 2010, 04:31:00 PM »
Jarlaxle, don't post spoilers in a thread without spoiler tags or at least reducing the font.  That's incredibly inconsiderate.  Post removed.

yeah! I didn't even know he died!! D: D:

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2010, 04:32:15 PM »

Sorry bosky, I won't do it again.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2010, 04:32:39 PM »
In all fairness, I do understand why my post has been removed, I'm running on a different rulebook here, but there are plenty of posts and threads(including my own LOTR) one that should have spoiler tags applied to them.

Sorry for the spoiler, its a misunderstanding.

As a spoiler tag, is there a special thing for that, or do I just put *SPOILER* in large font at the start of the post?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2010, 04:35:27 PM »

I'm not sure I'd say it's quite as bad as LHK's awesome post made it out to be, but yeah you're really not missing much.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #123 on: August 23, 2010, 04:42:11 PM »
In all fairness, I do understand why my post has been removed, I'm running on a different rulebook here, but there are plenty of posts and threads(including my own LOTR) one that should have spoiler tags applied to them.

As a spoiler tag, is there a special thing for that, or do I just put *SPOILER* in large font at the start of the post?

Like how I modified LHK's post above.

(dammit, LHK, you should know better!  Do I really need to make "post a proper 'SPOILER ALERT!' before posting spoilers" part of the forum rules?  I've always thought that was such common knowledge that it didn't need to be said)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: And yes, it WAS that bad, Gadough!
« Reply #124 on: August 23, 2010, 04:44:21 PM »

Like how I modified LHK's post above.

(dammit, LHK, you should know better!  Do I really need to make "post a proper 'SPOILER ALERT!' before posting spoilers" part of the forum rules?  I've always thought that was such common knowledge that it didn't need to be said)

Sorry, I didn't think that something that was completely irrelevant to the plot qualified as a spoiler.

*Edit: I didn't mean for this to sound sarcastic. I genuinely didn't see this as spoiling anything

LHK is beyond EPIC.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #125 on: August 23, 2010, 04:45:55 PM »
Okay thanks. An easy(?) Way to have spoilers basically eliminated would to have a way to hide the "spoil" and the only way to read it is to click on it and it shows the hidden text. I don't know if that could be done but if you clicked on a spoiler tag and read it, it is your fault

EDIT: To completely erase my post, the post by FinkPloyd should be edited to remove the quote of my post
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 05:08:35 PM by Jarlaxle »

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: And yes, it WAS that bad, Gadough!
« Reply #126 on: August 23, 2010, 06:37:24 PM »
Sorry, I didn't think that something that was completely irrelevant to the plot qualified as a spoiler.

:rollin
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #127 on: August 23, 2010, 09:54:54 PM »

You calling me a massive loser?

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #128 on: August 23, 2010, 11:02:31 PM »
Dumbledore because he gave himself up so nobody ever beat him. Gandalf beat the Balrog, but died and came back.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Oh man, I'm just asking for it here
« Reply #129 on: August 23, 2010, 11:07:32 PM »
Dumbledore because he gave himself up so nobody ever beat him. Gandalf beat the Balrog, but died and came back.

This is probably a huge mistake, but... Could you explain your logic?

LHK is beyond EPIC.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #130 on: August 23, 2010, 11:20:24 PM »
Harry Potter always strikes me as a fantasy written by a twelve year old enthusiast with ADD.

"There's a basilisk! And a giant dude in the garden! The giant has a baby dragon! And there's a centaur in the woods outside the massive castle with moving staircases and ghosts walking around everywhere talking to people! And one of them is holding his head! The students are sorted by a talking hat! There's a flying car! They play sports on broomsticks! They eat magic lollies that can taste like all sorts of things! You can't say the bad guy's name! They learn magic in school! They use owls to send messages! They go back in time! There are wraith things! The kids the main character hates are big bullies! The main character's just a boy, and he never does what the teachers say and he always dabbles in the extremely dangerous situations that even the wizards are afraid of, but they love him for it and he always saves the day and he has a lightning bolt on his head and he talks to snakes because HE'S SO AWESOME! THERE ARE WIZARDS EVERYWHERE! MAGICMAGICMAGICMAGICMAGIC! THIS FANTASY HAS EVERYTHING, SO IT'S GOING TO BE THE AWESOMEST!!!"
:lol
To clarify, my point with this was that in my idea of a good fantasy, the universe feels carefully constructed, and it has a sense of internal logic to it. That doesn't mean everything has to have been planned in advance, but it does have to feel like everything fits. In fact, arguably, this applies to all story-telling, if the world we are shown in the story is its 'universe'.

From what I've heard/read/seen of it, the core story of Harry vs Voldemort wasn't terribly written, but overall, it's like Rowling made a list of everything fantasy-related she could think of and tried to cram it all into one universe.

Offline blackngold29

Re: Oh man, I'm just asking for it here
« Reply #131 on: August 24, 2010, 01:52:49 AM »

This is probably a huge mistake, but... Could you explain your logic?
I just don't see how you can put a rating on how much fighting capacity Dumbledore has because he never lost a fight; I suspect that at his full force Voldemort is the only one who could even gotten close to beating him. Gandalf did kind of die, and he never even fought Sauron.

Remember the Dubledore Principal: Just because you maintain a civil demeanor, it does not follow that you are incapable of kicking ass.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #132 on: August 24, 2010, 01:56:05 AM »
I voted Dumbledore, but you know it could go either way.  Seriously the battle would be epic.
No it wouldn't.  Gandalf wipes his ass with Dumbledore.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #133 on: August 24, 2010, 04:06:56 AM »

Did you read the 7th HP book in 4 hours?

I just don't see how you can put a rating on how much fighting capacity Dumbledore has because he never lost a fight; I suspect that at his full force Voldemort is the only one who could even gotten close to beating him. Gandalf did kind of die, and he never even fought Sauron.
1) Gandalf didn't actually die, and 2) he let himself fall so that the others could escape, which is apparently why Dumbledore is so badass. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #134 on: August 24, 2010, 06:46:41 AM »

Did you read the 7th HP book in 4 hours?

It was the sixth.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2010, 07:05:37 AM »
Oh yeah. Well even so, 4 hours is ridiculous. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #136 on: August 24, 2010, 07:16:39 AM »
I read the 7th one in under a day and I felt like Jesus after

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2010, 07:17:46 AM »
I know what you mean. Jesus was a damn fast reader.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #138 on: August 24, 2010, 07:23:05 AM »
Bella Lugosi wins.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #139 on: August 24, 2010, 07:24:32 AM »
:lol taking a comment much to seriously