Poll

Vote wisely

Gandalf
72 (73.5%)
Dumbledore
26 (26.5%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Who wins?  (Read 36182 times)

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
Re: Who wins?
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2010, 03:20:05 PM »
Probably a bit gay.

(ba-dum tshh)
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2010, 03:28:49 PM »
lol

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2010, 05:01:11 PM »
Harry Potter always strikes me as a fantasy written by a twelve year old enthusiast with ADD.

"There's a basilisk! And a giant dude in the garden! The giant has a baby dragon! And there's a centaur in the woods outside the massive castle with moving staircases and ghosts walking around everywhere talking to people! And one of them is holding his head! The students are sorted by a talking hat! There's a flying car! They play sports on broomsticks! They eat magic lollies that can taste like all sorts of things! You can't say the bad guy's name! They learn magic in school! They use owls to send messages! They go back in time! There are wraith things! The kids the main character hates are big bullies! The main character's just a boy, and he never does what the teachers say and he always dabbles in the extremely dangerous situations that even the wizards are afraid of, but they love him for it and he always saves the day and he has a lightning bolt on his head and he talks to snakes because HE'S SO AWESOME! THERE ARE WIZARDS EVERYWHERE! MAGICMAGICMAGICMAGICMAGIC! THIS FANTASY HAS EVERYTHING, SO IT'S GOING TO BE THE AWESOMEST!!!"

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2010, 05:02:48 PM »
 :lol I still like it though.

But real fantasy fans read A Song of Ice and Fire

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2010, 05:15:46 PM »
I must agree with Fluffy Horatio

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2010, 05:29:14 PM »
J.K. Rowling saying that Dumbledore's gay, without any textual evidence, and just to satisfy a personal view of some readers is a pathetic way to merchandise more this product.

Ignoring the fact that him being gay actually helped explain a lot of his actions in the past, I'm sure there were tons of people who hadn't touched the series for ten years that suddenly ran out and bought it because one of the characters was gay.

The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2010, 05:32:31 PM »
J.K. Rowling saying that Dumbledore's gay, without any textual evidence, and just to satisfy a personal view of some readers is a pathetic way to merchandise more this product.

Just saw this.

You've got to be kidding me.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2010, 05:33:08 PM »
Hey, he's a literature scientist.

He knows what he's talking about.

Offline FinkPloyd

« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2010, 05:37:35 PM »

Ignoring the fact that him being gay actually helped explain a lot of his actions in the past, I'm sure there were tons of people who hadn't touched the series for ten years that suddenly ran out and bought it because one of the characters was gay.

If this is true I've lost my faith in humanity. What a loss!

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2010, 05:51:26 PM »
Also,
So Gandalf isn't just a really powerful wizard, but actually an immortal guardian angel of Middle-Earth with limitless resolve?
We actually went into this in quite a lot of detail in the LOTR thread.

Gandalf isn't immortal at all, but he is so powerful, nothing in the LOTR universe at that point in its history could kill him other than the Balrog, Saruman and Sauron himself. Or maybe all of the Nine together. Or maybe the dragons in the north, if there are any left, which I can't remember.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2010, 12:02:29 AM »
Dumblydore.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2010, 11:42:38 AM »
Harry Potter always strikes me as a fantasy written by a twelve year old enthusiast with ADD.

"There's a basilisk! And a giant dude in the garden! The giant has a baby dragon! And there's a centaur in the woods outside the massive castle with moving staircases and ghosts walking around everywhere talking to people! And one of them is holding his head! The students are sorted by a talking hat! There's a flying car! They play sports on broomsticks! They eat magic lollies that can taste like all sorts of things! You can't say the bad guy's name! They learn magic in school! They use owls to send messages! They go back in time! There are wraith things! The kids the main character hates are big bullies! The main character's just a boy, and he never does what the teachers say and he always dabbles in the extremely dangerous situations that even the wizards are afraid of, but they love him for it and he always saves the day and he has a lightning bolt on his head and he talks to snakes because HE'S SO AWESOME! THERE ARE WIZARDS EVERYWHERE! MAGICMAGICMAGICMAGICMAGIC! THIS FANTASY HAS EVERYTHING, SO IT'S GOING TO BE THE AWESOMEST!!!"
:lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2010, 11:45:50 AM »

Offline FinkPloyd

« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2010, 11:47:56 AM »

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2010, 11:48:28 AM »
It came out right around the time the book did.  :lol

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2010, 11:50:05 AM »
That is awesome.

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2010, 11:56:49 AM »
The first Dumbledore (in the films) was the best, and he reminded me of Santa Claus. Gandalf reminds me of Frank Zappa (a straight-up badass who is beyond any mortal). Who wins? Not Santa Claus.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2010, 12:04:28 PM »
:rollin I'm also not impressed with the second Dumbledore. It is unfortunate with the events that made them get another one? I'm sure if the Dumbledore that is acting now would have started the series we would hold different feelings. It would be the same way if Ian Mckellen had been unable to complete the LOTR trilogy

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2010, 12:16:01 PM »
It would be the same way if Ian Mckellen had been unable to complete the LOTR trilogy
Don't say things like that!  :'(

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2010, 12:19:24 PM »
Also,
So Gandalf isn't just a really powerful wizard, but actually an immortal guardian angel of Middle-Earth with limitless resolve?

Gandalf isn't immortal at all, but he is so powerful, nothing in the LOTR universe at that point in its history could kill him other than the Balrog, Saruman and Sauron himself. Or maybe all of the Nine together. Or maybe the dragons in the north, if there are any left, which I can't remember.

That's... approaching Mary Sue status actually.

Either way, given that he'd clearly beat Dumbledore.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2010, 12:19:43 PM »
I don't wish any harm on him, it is just harsh reality of life. Shit happens, but I'm glad it didn't.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2010, 12:38:46 PM »
I'm also not impressed with the second Dumbledore.
WAT?! Michael Gambon is completely awesome.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline FinkPloyd

« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2010, 12:39:24 PM »
WAT?! Michael Gambon is completely awesome.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2010, 12:43:31 PM »
I don't disagree, just compared to the first one(don't know his name) was better in comparison

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2010, 01:00:11 PM »

There was actually someone wearing that shirt in Wal-Mart on the midnight of the book's release. Despite being in the line to get it as soon as possible, I already knew about it because I've never cared about spoilers. But it was epic seeing people's reactions. I mean, this guy was literally just walking up and down the line repeatedly, making sure everyone saw him. The cops (yes, there were cops on duty the night of the book's release, I guess to make sure no one killed anybody) eventually made him leave. But I couldn't help but giggle every time someone noticed the shirt and gasped.

What I really don't understand about that shirt, though is the line "I just saved you 4 hours..." 4 hours? Really? Bullshit. No one could read that whole book in 4 hours.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline ehra

« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2010, 01:04:33 PM »
Also,

Eh, not really. He's part of Middle Earth's mythology, it'd be like calling Jesus a Mary Sue.

He technically died after his fight with the Balrog, but Eru was all "wtf, no sleeping on the job."

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2010, 01:10:09 PM »
I really do need to reread all books placed in Tolkien's world, there is so much I've missed

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2010, 01:23:27 PM »
Also,

Eh, not really. He's part of Middle Earth's mythology, it'd be like calling Jesus a Mary Sue.

He technically died after his fight with the Balrog, but Eru was all "wtf, no sleeping on the job."

Jesus is a total Mary Sue.

Offline ehra

« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2010, 01:26:47 PM »
Gary Stue.

edit: Or is it Lary? I can never remember.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 01:32:42 PM by ehra »

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: August 23, 2010, 01:37:37 PM »
Either one. It can also be Marty Stu.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2010, 01:52:33 PM »
Without the character of Gandalf, there would be no Dumbledore. Gandalf ftw.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2010, 01:55:06 PM »
Valid point, but magic as we know it is far more developed in Harry Potter. However, Gandalf does use a sword, I might have to change my vote

Offline ehra

« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2010, 01:59:47 PM »
Middle Earth was created by Eru and the Ainu getting together and singing a song. To me that beats anything from HP.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2010, 02:02:27 PM »
Karaoke night at middle earth!

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
Re: That ring crack was the tits, though
« Reply #104 on: August 23, 2010, 02:59:38 PM »
As much as I enjoy Harry Potter, Gandalf is a bigger badass.

This.
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.