Author Topic: Irrational hating of very popular bands  (Read 3042 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Irrational hating of very popular bands
« on: August 20, 2010, 11:47:41 AM »
What is up with this?  I see it all of the time...people hating on popular bands, often times giving the silliest reasons for hating them.  Honestly, I think some of it smacks of jealousy, but I think, for many, the biggest thing is that they hate that these supposedly inferior bands are so popular, while the bands they love the most are not as popular, as if that has a damn thing to do with how good the music is. 

One example is U2, but I don't want to get into another long discussion about them, so I will give another: The Rolling Stones.  To most, myself included, they are a washed up nostalgic act who have long overstayed their welcome.  But decades of nostalgia does not erase the good music they put out in their early days.  I am guessing many only know their biggest hits and have never actually listened to one of their whole albums.  I can't imagine someone who is a rock music fan listening to Sticky Fingers and thinking, "Wow, that sucks," but to each their own, I guess. 

But The Rolling Stones are definitely a very popular band that I always see people enjoy criticizing to death.  Heck, I sometimes see people calling them talentless (which makes zero sense), and I just wonder what are some other reasons why so many people enjoy trashing the most popular bands. 

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

Re: Irrational hating of very popular bands
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 12:01:30 PM »
It's because people feel the need to be unique. Being unique instead of just one of 7 billion disposable carbon copies roaming the earth makes them feel worthy. However, they're still just another copy, they just listen to different music than most of them. Listening to different music than the mainstream also gives you a reason to feel superior to a big part of the population. To take your example: "Hah, The Rolling Stones don't have any talent. The bands I listen to are obviously way more talented, since my musical taste (an important part of my identity) is far superior to yours." Bashing popular music is a relatively effortless way of making yourself feel superior, compared to getting a PhD or doing 500 pushups. This is probably another reason why lots of people do it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 12:09:42 PM by In The Name Of Rudess »

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 12:05:09 PM »
That's pretty much it, sadly. I've found in most cases, however, that if one of those people has an ounce of brain in their skulls, they're quick to admit to their previous stupidity once they've actually given the band an honest chance (even if they don't care for the actual music, they usually end up respecting their influence and talent).

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 12:39:36 PM »
to each their own, I guess.

This, entirely.  Some Stones songs I like, most I wouldn't lose any sleep over never hearing again.  Songs like Sympathy for the Devil or Paint it Black, for example, will make me INSTANTLY change the station.  And if I find nothing better on another station, I'll turn the radio off.  Others would think that, being a musician/being into music, I'm completely off my rocker for this.

You and I have discussed the fact that you don't really care for Kiss very much and I, on the other hand, love them and don't get why everybody always insists that their music is terrible.  Same kinda thing.

I guess there are some bands that just grab you and some that no matter how much you may want to like them or feel like you should (I've always thought I SHOULD have more liking of the Stones, but I just don't), they just aren't going to speak to you the way they will to someone else, or worse yet, will completely turn you off.

Another point - Nickelback.  I cannot stand them.  Really, not at all.

BUT

They sing songs about partying, rocking, and getting blown.  By all indications, I should be able to identify with this band so well that they'd be all I listen to.  Despite the subject matter, they drive me nuts.  The singer's voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me (same with Creed and Scott Stapp).  Just something about them that turns me off and doesn't grab me like another band might, that sings about the same things.

I don't think it's necessarily irrational.  While you or I may think someone's reasons for hating a band are silly, I don't know that I honestly think people hate on popular bands, just for the sake of doing so.  I hate bands that are popular, and despite my bandmates ribbing me about it, my position remains unchanged and likely always will.

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 12:44:55 PM »
It's because people feel the need to be unique. Being unique instead of just one of 7 billion disposable carbon copies roaming the earth makes them feel worthy. However, they're still just another copy, they just listen to different music than most of them. Listening to different music than the mainstream also gives you a reason to feel superior to a big part of the population. To take your example: "Hah, The Rolling Stones don't have any talent. The bands I listen to are obviously way more talented, since my musical taste (an important part of my identity) is far superior to yours." Bashing popular music is a relatively effortless way of making yourself feel superior, compared to getting a PhD or doing 500 pushups. This is probably another reason why lots of people do it.

I guess your right and I'm guilty of hatin' on the Stones.  Mainly because

1)  Mic Jagger skeeves me out.  He's just way to weird for me and his voice just grates on my nerves.

2)  They were kind of before my time.... AND I'M OLD!

3)  I didn't like "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" the first time I heard it, and I nearly break my radio trying to change the station when it comes on now.

4)  I'm of the video generation.  The first video I saw of the Stones was "I'm Just Waitin' on a Friend".  Do I need to elaborate?

No I haven't listen to a whole album and I suppose I'm overly harsh.  People do the same with Dream Theater.  Heck, in rateyourmusic.com most HATE HATE HATE DT.  To each his own.

Now I feel more superior.   :lol

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 01:06:13 PM »
I think part of it is a function of how over-exposed a band is in the media and the general populace.  For someone who might not necessarily "hate" a particular band like The Beatles, Stones or Hendrix, the fact that they're constantly bombarded by folks/critics that are ZOMG best greatest hands-down no-questions-asked band in the world could cause that person to get totally sick of hearing about it and lash out it a 'hateful' manner.  
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saėns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 01:10:24 PM »
rational:
a : having reason or understanding
b : relating to, based on, or agreeable to reason : reasonable <a rational explanation> <rational behaviour>

Most of the reasons you gave for hating a band seem rational in accordance with this definition.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 01:19:38 PM »
I have yet to hear a Rolling Stones song that I thought was good, seriously. Whatever song of theirs comes on, and I'm scratching my head as to what people see in it.
But hey, maybe they suffer the Beatles syndrome. That is, the radio stations only play the retarded stuff of theirs, and they actually have really good stuff I just never heard.

I also have a 60's cutoff that I noticed on my own music taste. I love stuff that came out in the 70s, but almost everything I hear from the 60s I find lame.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 01:39:37 PM »
I think part of it is a function of how over-exposed a band is in the media and the general populace.  For someone who might not necessarily "hate" a particular band like The Beatles, Stones or Hendrix, the fact that they're constantly bombarded by folks/critics that are ZOMG best greatest hands-down no-questions-asked band in the world could cause that person to get totally sick of hearing about it and lash out it a 'hateful' manner. 
Exactly this.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 02:08:45 PM »
LV is right on.  I admit that I tend to reject a popular band without even hearing them, solely on them being popular.  I wonder if part of it is primarily us (ie. prog fans).  I think there may be some sense of personality trait of those who like prog as being one who naturally turns away from the "norm"

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 02:15:56 PM »
LV is right on.  I admit that I tend to reject a popular band without even hearing them, solely on them being popular.  I wonder if part of it is primarily us (ie. prog fans).  I think there may be some sense of personality trait of those who like prog as being one who naturally turns away from the "norm"

Well, if the norm satisfied us we wouldn't be here.   

Really, I will dislike a band if they are popular, and I will dislike the same band if they are "underground." 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 02:38:26 PM »
Some of it is irrational, yes. But some of it is just good old fashioned not liking something that is cookie cutter delivered to the mass for consumption.

Nickelback is a perfect example. I now DESPISE Nickelback, after starting out a big fan of their first two records. Why? Because they decided to turn to cock rock lyrical content and write simple radio hits instead of cooler tunes like they used to. Cuts like Never Again (and most of Silver Side Up and The State) were just plain cool songs.

But once they tasted success with "How You Remind Me" (which is a great tune regardless), they then turned to cock rock lyrics and BANG, they are now international superstars that people gobble up in droves. I think it's fair if people despise them, because honestly, for some, including myself, there are legit reasons.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 03:32:40 PM »
I think part of it is a function of how over-exposed a band is in the media and the general populace.  For someone who might not necessarily "hate" a particular band like The Beatles, Stones or Hendrix, the fact that they're constantly bombarded by folks/critics that are ZOMG best greatest hands-down no-questions-asked band in the world could cause that person to get totally sick of hearing about it and lash out it a 'hateful' manner. 
Exactly this.
Yeah, well said.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 04:02:55 PM »
I'm with you Kev. Personally I think anyone who bothers to actually hate a band or artist needs to find a better way to use that energy, because the whole notion is ridiculous. If you don't like it, ignore it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 04:03:43 PM »
Overall i'm not really a fan of mainstream/commercial music, because it's always within a certain frame when it comes to: the music, the lyrics & the length.
Mainstream music is something i really have no interest or passion for what so ever, surely i can hear a song and think "this is ok", but overall i guess i'm the type of person who enjoys the type of music you wont hear on the radio. :P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 04:20:30 PM »
Some of it is irrational, yes. But some of it is just good old fashioned not liking something that is cookie cutter delivered to the mass for consumption.

Nickelback is a perfect example. I now DESPISE Nickelback, after starting out a big fan of their first two records. Why? Because they decided to turn to cock rock lyrical content and write simple radio hits instead of cooler tunes like they used to. Cuts like Never Again (and most of Silver Side Up and The State) were just plain cool songs.

But once they tasted success with "How You Remind Me" (which is a great tune regardless), they then turned to cock rock lyrics and BANG, they are now international superstars that people gobble up in droves. I think it's fair if people despise them, because honestly, for some, including myself, there are legit reasons.

What a great explanation.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 08:47:54 PM »
I could agree with what Kev was saying more if it weren't for the Rolling Stone example. I really can't stand them.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 09:03:44 PM »
Some great, great posts ITT. I agree with the OP.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 09:11:48 PM »
There's so many popular bands out there that are pure shit and undeserving of their popularity. Maybe it is a little jealousy, but I've found many underground bands that deserve the attention rather than these dime-a-dozen radio hacks. My dislike isn't irrational, I just want better music to be popular. "That's subjective blah blah blah NARF!"

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 09:46:11 PM »
There's so many popular bands out there that are pure shit and undeserving of their popularity. Maybe it is a little jealousy, but I've found many underground bands that deserve the attention rather than these dime-a-dozen radio hacks. My dislike isn't irrational, I just want better music to be popular. "That's subjective blah blah blah NARF!"

Agreed here. 

I appreciate the Stones, but dont' like it.  Mick Jagger can't sing, and it just seems like each song is messy.  Except for their really early stuff.  I like a few songs, like Jumpin' Jack Flash, Satisfaction, and Paint It Black, but some of their most popular songs just suck.  Shattered is the worst song ever.  I hate it.  And that other one... where they go "oo ooo" through the entire thing that they use for movie trailers all the time is freaking annoying.  That's my preference.  I just dont' like it. 

Same thing with Guns and Roses.  I can't stand them, but people put them on a pedistal like they are the greatest band ever.  They had one good album with a few songs on it.  Not all of their stuff is great.  Axl's voice is so annoying... it sounds like nails on a blackboard.  AC/DC I used to be on that same page with, but they've grown on me a little.  I like the older stuff a HELL of a lot better than songs like Thunderstruck, and I can only take so much AC/DC because each song sounds exactly the same... but what can you do.  It's formula.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 10:16:55 PM »
LV is right on.  I admit that I tend to reject a popular band without even hearing them, solely on them being popular.  I wonder if part of it is primarily us (ie. prog fans).  I think there may be some sense of personality trait of those who like prog as being one who naturally turns away from the "norm"
I do almost the exact opposite. If I haven't heard a band's name being thrown around all over the place, I simply won't check them out. I like most popular music, and honestly believe that in any given genre, the biggest artists are, the large majority of the time, the best. So the bigger name a band has, the more assured I am I'm going to enjoy them. I listen to a fairly wide range of music, but if you look over the artists, I would imagine there are very few that most people with a half-decent knowledge of music wouldn't immediately recognise by name.

And if I look over the bands someone listens to and see mostly bands I don't even recognise the name of, I have the kneejerk reaction to dismiss them as an elitist who has no interest in popular artists and digs for underground acts, most likely to convince themselves of the kind of superiority that In the Name of Rudess was talking about. Which is just as irrational and largely misconceived as the type of reaction being discussed in this thread, but it works for me, and because I never check out the unknown bands, I never know any better, the same way that, until the people who hate on popular acts really listen in to those acts, they're never gonna know better.

Overall i'm not really a fan of mainstream/commercial music, because it's always within a certain frame when it comes to: the music, the lyrics & the length.
Depending how much you're including under the umbrella of mainstream, I really couldn't disagree with this more.

Offline Norwood

• Keep it all in perspective.
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2010, 09:47:12 AM »
What annoys me are people that say "shocking" things like in those "Bands you hate" type of threads.  There's always someone that says "I hate Pink Floyd", or "I hate Sabbath" and give no good reason other than, "Ya know, their music just never stuck with me, don't know why".

They say they hate Pink Floyd so they can appear so distinguished, appear to have such an advanced musical palate that they don't like a band that mere "Music lovers" enjoy, for they are the Elite Music Critic.  Yet, offer no in-depth criticism about the music or their reasons...and when pushed on the subject simply say "Dude, it's my opinion".  Yeah, it's their baseless, groundless, lacking any logic, reasoning or foundation opinion.

People like that annoy me.  I don't know why, they just do.  No reason. ;)

[[--Comic Nut's Jar--]]  --  Comics.Politics.Computers  --  [[--The Sneakernet--]]  --  Computers.Toys.Geekdom