Author Topic: 'Near-miss' bands  (Read 11017 times)

Offline Norwood

• Keep it all in perspective.
Re: 'Near-miss' bands
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2010, 07:53:58 AM »
I guess all of those are valid opinions... but Slayer... parody metal?
I guess it's because there's never a hint of humour or lightheartedness in their music, combined with a lot of the actual lyrical content, which is insanely over the top. If I'm not in the mood for their stuff, it seems like a joke that their fans simply never got.

This makes no sense to me.  Slayer were amazing...Dave Lombardo an innovator in that genre behind the kit.  Seasons In The Abyss is a pretty dern good musical album that brought them over the hump of general Thrash.  I believe them to be the pioneers of some melodic-*-metal genres.

Edit - Near miss for me:
Pain Of Salvation - I tried, I can't.  I really tried.
Porcupine Tree - More of a complete miss than a near miss.  Take The Cure, mix in some Metallica (post ...AJFA with all their crap from Load or Saint Danger or whatever the hell it's all called), a hint of Radiohead (minus any of the talent) and some U2.  They sound like an amalgam of all the really bad parts of mediocre bands.
Coheed & Cambria - I get it, you like comic books...you're geeks.  But your music is bad.
Judas Priest - I love music from that time period, but they just can't get out from behind Iron Maiden's shadow.
Radiohead - Maybe if they stopped trying so hard to be different, and just were different I'd like them.  But they remind of emo kids, being different just for the sake of being different, with no substance behind it.
Meshuggah -This one kills me, because they are so fucking talented and Haake does things behind a drum kit that should be illegal...but three songs into an album and I can't tell the difference anymore.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 08:34:34 AM by Norwood »

[[--Comic Nut's Jar--]]  --  Comics.Politics.Computers  --  [[--The Sneakernet--]]  --  Computers.Toys.Geekdom

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2010, 08:41:42 AM »
Lots of fail there.

And I wouldn't call Slayer parody metal. They're just bad. Really bad.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2010, 08:43:36 AM »
Except emo kids aren't really being different at all, they're following a style plenty of people already follow.  Radiohead do things I've never heard from any other band.

The Decemberists. Colin Meloy's voice ... fuck. What a great band I just can't fully appreciate.
Yeah, it takes a while.  Good thing "The Island" is so awesome.

I'll also put Neal Morse, Transatlantic, and Beardfish (and bands like them) on my list.  I love Duel with the Devil/Stranger in Your Soul, but there's too much old prog in there, like everything Genesis/ELP/Yes did, but it only sounds modern because of production.  I'm sure Yes themselves could come out with a more relevant, modern album now if they wanted to.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2010, 08:51:15 AM »
Porcupine Tree - More of a complete miss than a near miss.  Take The Cure, mix in some Metallica (post ...AJFA with all their crap from Load or Saint Danger or whatever the hell it's all called), a hint of Radiohead (minus any of the talent) and some U2.  They sound like an amalgam of all the really bad parts of mediocre bands.
???

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2010, 08:52:37 AM »
Meshuggah -This one kills me, because they are so fucking talented and Haake does things behind a drum kit that should be illegal...but three songs into an album and I can't tell the difference anymore.
Was it Catch Thirtythree? hehe

Offline Norwood

• Keep it all in perspective.
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2010, 08:53:51 AM »
Lots of fail there.

And I wouldn't call Slayer parody metal. They're just bad. Really bad.

Well, I tend to believe other musicians, especially hugely successful bands from all sorts of different genres, when they say that Lombardo and Hanneman were huge influences on their careers.  Hanneman may be a little lacking in the solo department, but he's invented so many riffs that have been used and ripped off constantly.

I'm pretty sure one can't listen to a *metal album without hearing Hanneman getting ripped off.

I'm also pretty sure that Lombardo has some of the fastest, most intricate double bass rhythms around.

So if guys from Caliban, Avenged Sevenfold, Shadow's Fall, Morbid Angel say they're good I'd tend to say they know what they're talking about.

I'd also trust Portnoy's musical judement as well.  If he lists 4 Slayer albums as his favorite albums of all time.

Opinions and all that...however there's a little more credibility in my reasons here than fail.

Granted, I didn't have much to go on with "They're bad" to counter your side of it.

[[--Comic Nut's Jar--]]  --  Comics.Politics.Computers  --  [[--The Sneakernet--]]  --  Computers.Toys.Geekdom

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2010, 08:56:10 AM »
Mastodon are only good for the music. Lyrics and vocals are both abysmal.

This for sure.

Also Coheed and Cambria.  They're not bad, and Claudio's voice is just fine for me, but I can only take so much of the pseudo-punk-indie-ness of their music.  
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2010, 08:57:08 AM »
lso pretty sure that Lombardo has some of the fastest, most intricate double bass rhythms around.
Lombardo is fast but there are death metal drummers out there nowadays that are even faster.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2010, 09:01:06 AM »
And I wouldn't call Slayer parody metal.
That's funny, cos I haven't called them parody metal either.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2010, 09:09:18 AM »
Also Coheed and Cambria.  They're not bad, and Claudio's voice is just fine for me, but I can only take so much of the pseudo-punk-indie-ness of their music.  

This I can understand.  Songs like "Devil in Jersey City" and "Blood Red Summer" aren't my favorite Coheed songs, for example.  The rest of you noobs just need to learn to love Claudio's voice.

Another one: A7X.  Sounds cool, then the guy sings in either this Hetfield-ripoff voice, or screams, or whines and they go into an emo chorus.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2010, 09:18:32 AM »
I am going to get killed on here for this, but...

NICKELBACK

The group's first two albums are chock full of great riffs, some aggression, catchy choruses, and good lyrics.

But after Silver Side Up (which had the big hit you all know, "How You Remind Me,"), the band decided (or Chad Kroeger) to write all these raunchy, "cock rock" lyrics and quite frankly, I just stopped caring. It was ridiculous. Just not interested.

Same with...

HALESTORM

Now THERE is a new band whose music WAILS, and whose singer is AWESOME. But honestly, I really don't care for the cock rock lyrics, regardless of how great the singer is or the music is.

So while I still follow Halestorm a little bit (looking forward to seeing them next month), it just gets damn frustrating. I'm a fan of accessible hard rock. But not if the lyrics continually talk about f*cking some woman or "pants around my feet." I want some intelligence in what I listen to.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2010, 09:26:16 AM »
I want some intelligence in what I listen to.
Check out mathcore stuff then! There's some intelligence riffage along with the attitude of modern teen-fist!

:neverusethis:

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2010, 10:44:51 AM »
Most death metal bands.  I have REALLY specific tastes when it comes to growls that I like.  Its kinda weird.

Coheed and Cambria never clicked for me either, but its more of the lyrics that make me go WTF.  Odd thing is, I like concept pieces - I like Rhapsody of Fire and their continuing story from album to album.  C&C just don't.

I don't understand.  C&C don't what?  That's nowhere near a complete thought to helps me understand your failure. :biggrin:

C&C just don't click for me.  It's not like I've heard a handful of songs either, I've listened to the turbine one and Good Apollo whatever, as well as anything Nick has played on WPAPU.  Songs about feathers on the back porch are just  :mehlin

Neal Morse. The music itself is good but the overly religious lyrics turn me off.

This.  I love his work wit SB and Transatlantic, but I'm not going to listen to something I know I don't agree with.

Mastodon are only good for the music. Lyrics and vocals are both abysmal.

You must be a hammer Flufy, because you hit this one on the head.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 10:50:18 AM by dreamtheatervt »

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2010, 10:47:44 AM »
Most death metal bands.  I have REALLY specific tastes when it comes to growls that I like.  Its kinda weird.

Coheed and Cambria never clicked for me either, but its more of the lyrics that make me go WTF.  Odd thing is, I like concept pieces - I like Rhapsody of Fire and their continuing story from album to album.  C&C just don't.

I don't understand.  C&C don't what?  That's nowhere near a complete thought to helps me understand your failure. :biggrin:

C&C just don't click for me.  It's not like I've heard a handful of songs either, I've listened to the turbine one and Good Apollo whatever, as well as anything Nick has played on WPAPU.  Songs about feathers on the back porch are just  :mehlin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-OQf0mG1As
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 11:45:15 AM by zxlkho »
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2010, 11:43:09 AM »
Radiohead - Maybe if they stopped trying so hard to be different, and just were different I'd like them.  But they remind of emo kids, being different just for the sake of being different, with no substance behind it.

Why do you hate music?
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2010, 12:35:54 PM »

Yes, because Porcupine Tree clearly has no talent. :lol

Judas Priest - I love music from that time period, but they just can't get out from behind Iron Maiden's shadow.

You do know that Priest was around long before Maiden was, right?

Quote from: Norwood link=topic=15801.msg561842#msg561842 date=1282226038
[b
Radiohead[/b] - Maybe if they stopped trying so hard to be different, and just were different I'd like them.  But they remind of emo kids, being different just for the sake of being different, with no substance behind it.

How do you know they are trying too hard to be different?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2010, 02:25:33 PM »
Radiohead are a near miss for me, definitely. I like actual songwriting better than the focus on experimentation evident on most of their albums, especially since that experimentation has been fully explored by other bands already.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2010, 02:55:18 PM »
Coheed - the poppiness is what turns me off. I also like concepts but it's just too poppy for me. I give them the respect they deserve cause the music is good.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2010, 03:46:39 PM »
Haken - Streams and Celestial Elixir are great songs (after I edited them for content) but the completely random circus music and death growls turn me off. Thankfully the growls were only in two songs, but the first song I couldn't edit them out without it sounding doctored. Random ragtime from Rudess is fine every blue moon but Haken do the circus stuff too much. Plus, what does the circus have to do with mermaids? I like my version of Streams and CE loads better and that's all I need from Haken at this point in time.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2010, 04:19:24 PM »
Radiohead are a near miss for me, definitely. I like actual songwriting better than the focus on experimentation evident on most of their albums, especially since that experimentation has been fully explored by other bands already.

Who else brought electronica into the mainstream before 'Kid A'? I'm confused.
The focus in Radiohead has never been about experimentation, that's why they write four minute songs instead of things that go on for ten minutes

Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2010, 04:24:16 PM »

Among others, U2.  U2 was the biggest band in the world in the early/mid 90s and brought electronica into their music out of nowhere.  Really, Radiohead did it the same way U2 did:

-Bits of it on album that was considered a bit of a departure (OK Computer and Achtung Baby)
-Then brought the house with it (Kid A and Zooropa)

Many would argue that Radiohead did electronica better than U2 did, but that still doesn't take away from the fact that U2 did it before Radiohead did.  And they were not the first.  That is just one example.  And I am a huge Radiohead fan, so there is no bias on my part. :)

The focus in Radiohead has never been about experimentation, that's why they write four minute songs instead of things that go on for ten minutes

Huh?  Experimentation does not automatically equal longer song length. ???
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 04:30:17 PM by KevShmev »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2010, 04:44:06 PM »

What Kev said. Plus, bands like Sigur Ros were already well ahead of them when they started incorporating those elements.

And I don't care how long the song is. There's nothing about "Treefingers" or "Revolving Doors" that makes me think, "damn, there's some good songwriting."

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2010, 04:45:23 PM »
Coheed and Cambria (could not get past the vocals)
God this.
gone

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2010, 05:39:26 PM »
I guess all of those are valid opinions... but Slayer... parody metal?
I guess it's because there's never a hint of humour or lightheartedness in their music, combined with a lot of the actual lyrical content, which is insanely over the top. If I'm not in the mood for their stuff, it seems like a joke that their fans simply never got.

This makes no sense to me.  Slayer were amazing...Dave Lombardo an innovator in that genre behind the kit.  Seasons In The Abyss is a pretty dern good musical album that brought them over the hump of general Thrash.  I believe them to be the pioneers of some melodic-*-metal genres.

Edit - Near miss for me:
SO MUCH FAIL
First of all PT= Metallica? U2? if anything they sound like Pink Floyd so lolno.
Judas Priest was on the metal scene way before Maiden.
and Radiohead yep agreed
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2010, 11:29:02 PM »

With all the people complaining about how poppy Coheed is in this thread, you link From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness because...

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2010, 11:32:06 PM »
Seriously, WTF :lol you're better off linking The Suffering

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2010, 11:34:57 PM »

With all the people complaining about how poppy Coheed is in this thread, you link From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness because...

...it's one of there best songs.

Whatever.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2010, 11:41:09 PM »
Yeah it is, but it's not winning any new fans who are unwilling to get over the poppiness and the voice.

All you guys really need to know about Coheed is don't judge them based on what Nick plays on WPAPU, his opinion about Coheed is fail.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2010, 11:44:14 PM »
Yeah it is, but it's not winning any new fans who are unwilling to get over the poppiness and the voice.

All you guys really need to know about Coheed is don't judge them based on what
Nick plays on WPAPU, his opinion about Coheed is fail.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2010, 05:19:06 AM »
To Kev/PC
1. U2 didn't start writing electronica songs in the 90s, they started adding dance music elements into their songs, that's assuming we're looking at electronic music as being more diverse than just one big 'electronica' tag. I think that's pretty different to writing songs like 'Kid A' and 'Idioteque'. With regards to others, I can't think of any who made the same near total turn in direction that Radiohead did whilst at their peak.
2. Experimentation doesn't necessarily equal longer song lengths but the point being made was that they were too focused on experimentation and not on songwriting when in reality if all they were focused on was experimentation then they wouldn't still have the focus on writing songs of a standard length, which is something most experimental bands certainly DO NOT have.
3. Sigur Ros were hardly a mainstream band at the turn of the century, in fact they're not really in the mainstream now.

Appreciate your points but I stick to mine.   ;)
At the end of the day if you don't think Radiohead are absolutely brilliant you're just wrong anyway.
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2010, 05:51:38 AM »

...it's one of there best songs.

Whatever.

No...fuck no.  I couldn't get past the first minute of that song. 

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2010, 05:55:17 AM »
Seriously, posting that song is pretty much akin to saying "Oh, you don't like Pain of Salvation because they're pretentious and boring? HERE, LISTEN TO BE, THAT'LL CHANGE YOUR MIND!" :lol

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2010, 06:41:46 AM »
You don't like prog because of the lyrics?
Why not try this...it's called 'The Count of Tuscany' by Dream Theater
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2010, 06:51:35 AM »
:lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2010, 08:24:51 AM »
To Kev/PC
1. U2 didn't start writing electronica songs in the 90s, they started adding dance music elements into their songs, that's assuming we're looking at electronic music as being more diverse than just one big 'electronica' tag. I think that's pretty different to writing songs like 'Kid A' and 'Idioteque'.

Eh, this sounds like semantics to me.  "Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car" and "Mofo" are just as much electronica as songs like "Kid A" and "Idioteque" are.  Either way, the trajectory of both bands was extremely similar, and U2 did it before Radiohead did.  That doesn't make what Radiohead did any less impressive.  Plus, when you consider that U2 was much bigger when they did it than Radiohead has ever really been, it makes what they did a lot more ballsy and daring.  When you are the biggest band in the world, which U2 was at the time, and you decide to radically change your sound out of nowhere, that takes major balls. 

2. Experimentation doesn't necessarily equal longer song lengths but the point being made was that they were too focused on experimentation and not on songwriting when in reality if all they were focused on was experimentation then they wouldn't still have the focus on writing songs of a standard length, which is something most experimental bands certainly DO NOT have.

Okay, but Radiohead do, and they are an experimental band, so I am not sure what your point here is. ???

At the end of the day if you don't think Radiohead are absolutely brilliant you're just wrong anyway.

:tup :tup