Author Topic: Would you consider Tool "Progressive"?  (Read 4156 times)

Offline Norwood

• Keep it all in perspective.
Would you consider Tool "Progressive"?
« on: August 17, 2010, 08:30:04 AM »
Removing the opinion of whether or not you like them, would you say that their music falls into the "Progressive" genre?  They're widely considered "Alternative Metal"...however they came up in Winamp as my "group of the day"...the group I listen to mostly throughout the workday.

I've never been a fan-fan, but have always paid attention to what they put out and listened to it and some of the stuff from the 'Undertow' album seems to have some elements of Progressive.

Granted, I don't think they're as talented as most Progressive bands tend to be, but there are very a number of somewhat interesting arrangements and sections of songs that would make me think they were.

I'm gonna give them a good listen today, I can't quite put my finger on it.

[[--Comic Nut's Jar--]]  --  Comics.Politics.Computers  --  [[--The Sneakernet--]]  --  Computers.Toys.Geekdom

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Would you consider Tool "Progressive"?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 08:31:41 AM »
Not really. I'd consider them alternative metal if I absolutely had to label them but defy genre in some ways.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 08:55:06 AM »
Definitely. Mixture of prog and alt metal.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 08:56:09 AM »
Exactly this.

Granted, I don't think they're as talented as most Progressive bands tend to be
WTF are you serious?
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 09:14:43 AM »
They have some progressive elements, but I'd call them mostly art/alternative metal. Regardless, they're better than most progressive metal bands, so whatever.

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 09:34:15 AM »
this
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline flawlesslife

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 09:39:59 AM »
I think he is joking.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 10:19:49 AM »
I just call them Tool.

They have metal elements, and prog elements, so calling them prog metal wouldn't be altogether inappropriate.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 10:21:55 AM »
I just call them Tool.

They have metal elements, and prog elements, so calling them prog metal wouldn't be altogether inappropriate.

This in a nutshell.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Norwood

• Keep it all in perspective.
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 10:47:25 AM »
I'm not joking.

Saying they aren't as talented as another band doesn't mean that I'm saying they are talentless.

I would confidently say that bands such as Genesis, Yes, Dream Theater, Rush and other bands I consider to be "Progressive" are more talented.

Now, does Tool have more talent in their toe-nail clippings than I do?  1,000,000% yes.  Do they have more talent than 99% of the other bands that are on the radio airwaves with them? 1,000,000% yes.

I don't think they're as talented as the bands I mentioned above, though.

[[--Comic Nut's Jar--]]  --  Comics.Politics.Computers  --  [[--The Sneakernet--]]  --  Computers.Toys.Geekdom

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 10:58:59 AM »
How are you measuring talent?

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 11:02:56 AM »
I disagree with you completely. I think Tool are one of the most talented bands ever.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 11:54:22 AM »
I got the impression he meant just pure technical skill, in which case Danny Carey pwns all but admittedly Jones and Chancellor aren't gonna beat Petrucci and Myung in an instrument-fight. ( :P)

But compositionally at least, I think they are more talented, but then they're my favourite band so I'm biased.

Anyway, to answer your question, I think they have quite a few songs that are very progressive in nature, basically all of Lateralus in fact, so I'd say yes, again, alt-metal mixed with prog.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 12:35:40 PM »
Alternative Metal isn't a genre.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline LTE

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 12:35:59 PM »
Progressive as in the sense of "Progressive", not "Prog"
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 12:38:17 PM »
I just call them Tool.

This in a nutshell.

-Marc.

I concur

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 12:45:06 PM »

I've had this argument with people before. There is no difference between these two terms. One is just the abbreviation of the other.
I AM A GUY

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 12:50:21 PM »

I've had this argument with people before. There is no difference between these two terms. One is just the abbreviation of the other.

I definitely understand what people mean when they say that but I would have to agree. They mean the same thing to me.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 12:51:48 PM »

I definitely understand what people mean when they say that but I would have to agree. They mean the same thing to me.

I concur.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 12:58:33 PM »

I concur.
As do I.

Granted, I don't think they're as talented as most Progressive bands tend to be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fS7v9rtm3Y

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 01:39:39 PM »
Just gotta say, I always love these terminology disagreements on DTF.  My boss laughed his ass off when I told him we had a discaimer in our rules section on what constitues a "concept album", then called us a bunch of fucking dorks(which is pretty much the truth).

Carry On. :corn

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »

30 years ago they were one and the same, but there's definitely a distinction to be made now.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 01:45:27 PM »
Tool are a hard rock band.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 01:46:04 PM »
They sure make me rock hard... if ya know what I mean

:eyebrows:

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2010, 01:52:13 PM »

30 years ago they were one and the same, but there's definitely a distinction to be made now.

I agree. If anything, prog now means what progressive did 30 years ago.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2010, 02:03:49 PM »
I'm not joking.

Saying they aren't as talented as another band doesn't mean that I'm saying they are talentless.

I would confidently say that bands such as Genesis, Yes, Dream Theater, Rush and other bands I consider to be "Progressive" are more talented.

Now, does Tool have more talent in their toe-nail clippings than I do?  1,000,000% yes.  Do they have more talent than 99% of the other bands that are on the radio airwaves with them? 1,000,000% yes.

I don't think they're as talented as the bands I mentioned above, though.

Talent isn't all you need to be progressive. If that were the case, then a lot of Jazz bands would be considered progressive because those musicians tend to be insanely talented at their instruments.

Musically speaking, progressive music tends to be about composition, in addition to talent, and I think Tool are very good in the composition department. Their writing abilities can outshine a lot of bands, and their layers of sounds and uses of instrumental tones, along with tonal and metric changes are pretty well executed.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2010, 02:09:48 PM »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2010, 02:23:56 PM »

Then you have the people who make a distinction between "Prog" and "prog" and "Progressive"... really, a damn capital letter makes a difference?

People think if something is "Prog" that it derives from the classic 70's style of progressive music - the Yes, Genesis, etc. camp of prog rock - but it's it's rock music that's still progressing beyond any music that is being made today, then it's progressive and not "Prog". That's like saying if someone made a disco hit today, that it it's "Disco" with a capital D, and not "disco" as in the style or genre. Really?! It's all the same, regardless of how derivative it is from that style's/genre's origins.

Given some people's ideas of what is and isn't progressive, I'd say Tool are definitely progressive. They've made a kind of alternative metal and rock that is quite different from others and have set themselves apart to a point of being so recognizable, in the same way progressive acts did back in the 70's. They're doing (or did) something different from the norm, and to me, that's progressing - that's progressive.

-Marc.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2010, 02:24:33 PM »

Yup.  "Prog rock" is really an unfortunate genre title.  Same way that "Modern art" was poorly chosen to describe the works of Van Gogh and Gauguin almost 150 years ago.  Terms like 'progressive' and 'modern' get stuck inside a narrow historical window.  
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2010, 04:45:21 PM »
....Absolutely, yes. They're not progressive metal, and they're not really progressive rock either...but they're definitely progressive.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2010, 08:19:11 PM »

This exactly.  Prog and progressive are two distinctly different things.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline j

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2010, 08:24:15 PM »
No.  They were progressive for awhile, but their latest release didn't do much in the way of "progress".

Note that I am using the actual definition of the word "progressive", and not the inane genre label.

-J

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2010, 08:27:51 PM »
If progressive means "mind-blowingly amazing," then yes, Tool are progressive.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2010, 08:28:47 PM »
I consider "progressive" music intelligent and experimental but tasteful music that pushes the boundaries of their genre while I consider prog bands that rip of their progressive predecessors, get their lyrics by copy/pasting from a novel/epic poem/movie and write long songs with wanky instrumentation for the sake of it.

Not trying to start shit with that, but by my definition, I would certainly call Tool a progressive form of alternative metal.