Author Topic: Help Me Choose  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
Help Me Choose
« on: August 16, 2010, 01:40:34 PM »
After using Guitar Pro to write a bunch of songs with various instruments, I've realised it's about time I properly recorded them.

So I was wondering, what would be the cheapest way to record songs that included orchestras, saxophones, xylophones, synths, bass and stuff like that?

I suppose what I'm looking for is basically a keyboard or something that has loads of different instrument presets of an acceptable quality, that I can connect to my laptop, and then overdub actual guitar over.

I'm pretty ignorant at this, as I've been looking at some Korgs and Rolands but I don't actually know if they'll be able to do, for instance, the sound of a string ensemble or a saxophone well enough because I'm a fool. Any suggestions?

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
Re: Help Me Choose
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 02:26:39 PM »
Ok, to narrow it down and hopefully get some answers, I've decided to go for a MIDI keyboard and some notation software or something.

I'm thinking a Korg Nanokey and then one of Sibelius, Konakt or Finale.

Any ideas?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 02:30:17 PM »
MIDI keyboard is the way to go.  As for what kind, it depends on what features you are willing to pay for.  Trying to create custom tones will require a beast of a keyboard, which will run you a lot of money.

Protip 1:  Ask Orbert, he's our resident keyboard expert.  I'm just somewhat knowledgable.

Protip 2: This should be in the Musicians sub-forum.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 04:54:41 PM »
Buy Omnisphere. Jordan Rudess used it on BC&SL (the intro to ANTR uses the 'Burning Piano' patch), and the choir is all Omnisphere. The orchestra sounds are awesome as well.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline drummerThatShreds87

• Paradiddles...
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 05:46:44 PM »
Agreed. Omnisphere is fucking ridiculously realistic. My friend torrented it and makes some good stuff with it.
"We stand, until night, we rise until day, bringeth the light until the night" -Empath