Author Topic: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro  (Read 57242 times)

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro
« on: August 15, 2010, 03:57:15 PM »
Today I played a beautiful course called Baywood Greens. It looked like the Augusta National of the north. Flowers were blooming everywhere and the landscape was really amazing. Also, I had a great round on this difficult course. I shot a 44 on the front 9 and a 47 on the back 9 for a 91. :metal

Pics:
This is a good one of the 10th green.

this is one I took from the fairway of the same green:

This is a bridge leading to the 18th tee:

I have to talk about the 14th hole. This is the design:

There are 2 different fairways and one of them is on an island. It was about 200 yards to the front of the island fairway and another 180 yards to the front of the green from there. Amazing design and the bridge leading to the island was lined with flowers. Pics here:

From the drop area: (when my uncle hit it in the water :lol)

From the end of the fairway to the green:

18th fairway: (not taken by me :P)

Discuss anything golf related.   :metal

Oh, and inb4coolgolfstorybro
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
Re: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 04:02:30 PM »
That actually was a very cool golf picture book. Bro. I've never actually played golf, but if there were more courses like that in England I definitely would try to.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 04:05:52 PM »

Also I wish I knew how to play Golf ;P

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 04:06:22 PM »
:lol :lol

:tup
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 04:41:05 PM »
I worked for a country club for a year, and so I bought some clubs off a co-worker and ended up playing every Monday for free for a year. Now that I have to pay I'm a casual golfer I usually go 3 or 4 times a year with my mother.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 05:20:52 PM »
My family was a member of a country club for about 2 years, which meant I pretty much had to play. I'd love to get back into it again, but I just don't have the time.
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 09:15:04 PM »
That looks like an amazing course, man. I love to golf, but I'm really terrible at it :lol

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 09:31:24 PM »
GOLF !!!! I really like playing golf. I'm not that good of a player, but I usually shot in the mid 90s. I think I played every week since July which is pretty cool. It's the summer I played the most and I really improved my game :metal.

I bought myself new clubs too (Callaway X-22) and they're pretty much kick ass.

Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 09:21:26 AM »
i played in High School than somewhat shortly after i graduated...but gave it up years and years ago....

Recently picked the game up again, but was stymied on the 16th hole, last round out

Damn windmill kept blocking my ball

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 02:31:44 PM »
Coming back from the GolfTown with a brand new Odyssey putter :metal

Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 02:34:45 PM »
I played again today at a different course (not the awesome one :sadpanda:). It was almost 100 degrees with about 75% humidity, and it affected me. I shot a 95.  :\

I got a birdie on a long par 3 though. My tee shot was on the lip of a sand trap to the left of the green and I chipped in :biggrin:.
I AM A GUY

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 02:37:02 PM »
To all those who watched the PGA yesterday, if your on sand, it's a FUCKING BUNKER!!!!

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 02:39:53 PM »
That may be true, but the rules official in their group did not do his job at all.
I AM A GUY

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 02:44:21 PM »
That may be true, but the rules official in their group did not do his job at all.
Just caught the highlights, have yet to fully follow what happened, but as a pro, you should be conditioned not to put your club into the sand before swinging.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 02:45:58 PM »
The area that he hit from could have easily been mistaken for something else. Especially after the crowd had been walking over it all day.
I AM A GUY

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 02:48:18 PM »

It is not his job to tell the golfers that they are in a bunker.  It is the golfer's job to know all of the rules and follow them.  Granted, the official could have said, "Hey, you are in a bunker," but he doesn't have to do that.  It was a brutal way for Johnson to get ousted, but the blame ultimately lays at his feet. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 02:49:06 PM »
I used to golf but hit a spot in my life where I was low on friends who also golfed and even lower on free time and disposable income. And sadly, I never got back in to it again.

To all those who watched the PGA yesterday, if your on sand, it's a FUCKING BUNKER!!!!

True, but I can't fault a guy too much for seeing sand with grass growing in it, and footprints in it due to the gallery walking all over it for four straight days, as you are lining up a ridiculous shot on the 72nd hole of a major with a chance to win. But again.... when the PGA hands out course rules and posts them in the clubhouse... it might be a good idea to read them.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 02:50:39 PM »
Also, I still don't know who brought up the fact that he grounded his club. The rule says that another player has to call it. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't a player.
I AM A GUY

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 03:01:46 PM »
Johnson messed up, I don't get the people essentially saying the rules messed up.  The whole rule about how even trampled bunkers count as bunkers was well advertised to the players by the PGA, the mdeia was even covering how much it was advertised to them.  That he and his caddy ignored knowing the local rules is only their fault.  That those rules were emphasized to them in handouts and stuck right in plain sight in the players' locker rooms just makes it look incredibly stupid on his part.  I find it hard to believe a pro and his caddy don't deem a few seconds to overview local rules each week worth it even when the rules aren't handed to them on a silver platter.

Sympathy for losing, sure.  Sympathy for breaking a rule due to laziness, absolutely not.

Also, I still don't know who brought up the fact that he grounded his club. The rule says that another player has to call it. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't a player.

Officials saw it.  If he signed his scorecard without assessing it he would be disqualified eventually.  The officials gave him a big break by pointing it out.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 03:57:46 PM »
Golf is a beautiful game to play. Sometimes I really hate it though. :(
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 04:18:45 PM »
They say it's 4 miles walking a golf course.  My game playes more like 6 miles but I'm happy when I can play.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
BUMP
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2010, 04:50:18 PM »
Just found this thread.  I've been playing for a little over a year.  I have plans to play Disney's Magnolia about two weeks after the PGA Tour event they host and am really excited for that.  I live in Jacksonville and am playing a course at Ponte Vedra G&C at Sawgrass tomorrow.  Not TPC, but still really nice and I've never played there before.  Hopefully I can get some cool pics and keep this thread rolling. 

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2010, 05:03:21 PM »
That sounds awesome. Looking forward to pics. :metal
I AM A GUY

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2010, 05:05:54 PM »
My brother and I goot to play 9 holes at a par 3.  Not enough time to play a full course but with a par, par, par, bogey on 6 thru 9 I edged my bro by 2 strokes.  We both played like crap but it was fun getting out there.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2010, 07:15:58 AM »
Coming back from the GolfTown with a brand new Odyssey putter :metal

For the longest time I wanted the #9, but then I tried the Backstryke 2-Ball and fell in love.  Eitherway, I'm currently using an Ashworth putter that came free with a pair of shorts like 6 years ago.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2010, 01:42:15 PM »
Hey, I didn't know this thread existed!

I bought a new set. The irons are Cleveland, the woods are Nike and a Taylor Made putter. I love it!

I have to fix my right hand grip. After a long hiatus I lost my grip and it has affected my game big time :(

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2010, 01:49:22 PM »
That's awesome man. Nike woods are the easily the best.
I AM A GUY

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 07:18:58 AM »
So, the overlying theme of my Sunday round was "Heat".  I sweat more than the average person and I live in Florida, but yesterday was exceptional.  Which is too bad, because the course was really nice.  It reminded my of being at the range and hitting ball after ball.  I'd stand over the ball and wipe off my right hand on my shorts and it would just get even worse because I was so saturated.  Aside from the sweat, the heat just made it hard to play good.

I can't wait to play this course again, though. 
Ponte Vedra Golf and Country Club at Sawgrass
par 70, ~6400 yards from the back
4 long par 5's
6 long par 3's (wierd)
8 shortish par 4's

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 05:07:57 PM »
Nike makes the best clubs. I use Nike CCI Forged Irons, a DYMO Str8 Fit Driver, a DYMO 3 wood and an ancient Ignite 5 wood. But I do have to admit to using a Scotty Cameron putter, because no other company can compare to these putters.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2010, 08:22:07 PM »
*walks into thread*
lol golf lol
*walks out of thread*

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2010, 08:38:28 PM »
Well, my last update for my provincial junior golf championship I was going into the final round 5 behind the leaders. And I played one of the best rounds of my fucking life!!! I came in hot and shot a 29 on the front nine, then kept it going with a 32 on the back for a -11 score. When I finished by round I had the lead, with the leaders still to come in behind me. Watching from near the green, I watched the second round leader put a 180 yard shot into a tough pin within 8 feet, then drain the birdie to tie me. So we headed into a 3 hole playoff.

Whew, talk about pressure. The first hole we were both quite nervous, so we parred an easy par 4. Going into a par 3 that was about 175 yards, and we both threw darts in within 10 feet. I missed my putt while he made his, so I am going into the final playoff hole 1 stroke down. A 580 yard par 5, and I bombed my drive about 310 down the middle of the fairway, then stuck my second shot within 20 feet. The other golfer layed up and chipped wthin 5 feet. So I knew I had to drain my putt to have a chance of winning. And wouldn't you know it, I knock down this snaking putt right in the heart. The other golfer, obviously rattled, lipped out the short 5 foot putt, giving me the championship!!!

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2010, 08:43:21 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnFbCCgTo4

Lots of people have probably seen this, but I  :rollin 'ed when I saw it just a couple weeks ago.

Anyway, I played a bit of golf in high school. I enjoyed it even though I was never too good. I wanted to start again this last summer but I've just been too busy.

I was 17 when I got my first (and only) hole in one!  :metal Par 3, about 152 yards (I think). 7 iron. Twas epic.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
I AM A GUY

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2010, 10:31:08 PM »
congrats, jarlaxle!