Author Topic: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro  (Read 57027 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTF golfer's thread v. coolgolfstorybro
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2010, 12:32:40 PM »
Hey guys, so I want to get into golf but I don't have any friends playing golf. How do I go about getting into this game. I've always wanted to learn, and I have some money to spend, there are also great courses around where I live.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2010, 12:37:37 PM »
Well you should probably start by buying a set of golf clubs. They can be very expensive, so I would suggest buying used ones. Then maybe make a few trips to a driving range to get comfortable with your swing, and maybe take some lessons (these always help). Also, maybe you could convince one of your friends to get into golf with you.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2010, 01:30:11 PM »
Im a good golfer.. I play to about a 92..

I know that makes me "old" lol
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2010, 01:38:42 PM »
I have a curse. Everytime I plan to golf with my friend, it's supposed to be a sunny day. Once we're on the course, it starts raining.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2010, 10:21:50 PM »
The US are being absolutely crushed in the final team round at the Ryder Cup. They will need a big morning tomorrow to go into the singles matches around even.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2010, 09:42:16 AM »
Hey guys, so I want to get into golf but I don't have any friends playing golf. How do I go about getting into this game. I've always wanted to learn, and I have some money to spend, there are also great courses around where I live.
Always get (good) lessons. Once you get a proper stance, grip, and swing, you are ready to go.

Also, READ THIS BOOK: Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2010, 07:32:19 AM »
The US are being absolutely crushed in the final team round at the Ryder Cup. They will need a big morning tomorrow to go into the singles matches around even.

I can't believe they're not airing the singles matches this morning.  I was looking forward to waking up to some golf.

Always get (good) lessons. Once you get a proper stance, grip, and swing, you are ready to go.

Lessons are a good idea if you're starting from scratch.  If you feel like you have some sort of natural athletic ability you might just wanna go to the range and work on it yourself.  It took a short time to turn my baseball swing into a golf swing, but with a few of the basic pointers and a good understanding of sports mechanics, you'll get the ball moving down the fairway in no time...Maybe.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2010, 09:52:15 AM »
Oh well for the U.S.  I feel bad for Hunter Mahan.  It's tough to see someone choke like that in as different a situation as that is in sports.  After the tee shots on 17, if you watched, all the spectators filled in behind Hunter and all around the green.  That was more so a stadium like setting than any other golf I've seen (including TPC Scottsdale).  And when he blew that chip with all those European fans standing around, and the crowd exploded when he left it so short, he had that nervous smile like he knew that he just choked big time.  I grew up playing team sports and now play golf, and the two are so naturally different that when they are combined for these match play events, all the emotions are multipied.  All the big time shots get the teams really pumped up, and all the bad shots can really take a player out of their comfort zone because it now effects 11 other guys and not just themselves.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2011, 05:05:26 PM »
Bumpity bump bump bump

Played a little public 9 hole today, my first time in like 8 years or something.  I did pretty well, all things considered.  The par for the course was 30 and I scored 52 :lol I have no idea about how golf works in regards to scoring and whatnot, but I really enjoy it.  The course was absolute shit; they could've renamed the greens browns.  Also, note to self to always take a trolley for the golf bag... hands are all blistered up now.  Oh, and gloves.  Or glove.  I dunno.

cool golf story bro

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2011, 05:17:27 PM »
Cool golf story bro indeed.

I haven't played golf in FOREVER because of school, but I think I'll be playing over spring break in a few weeks. :tup
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2011, 05:30:47 PM »
Its a really fun game, man.  Having to lug around a huge bag o clubs, however, is not.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2011, 05:32:01 PM »
Get a cart bro.
I AM A GUY

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2011, 06:25:53 PM »
So I started golfing this year and I love it. I picked up some used clubs, shoes, 24 balls, glove, and golf bag all for $200.

My buddy gave me some pointers since he is an avid golfer and I've taken a few lessons.

I'm playing leftie though, ever since last year when my buddy let me some clubs so we could shoot around (he is a leftie) I can't get comfortable with right handed clubs.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2011, 07:17:44 PM »

Lessons are a good idea if you're starting from scratch.  If you feel like you have some sort of natural athletic ability you might just wanna go to the range and work on it yourself.  It took a short time to turn my baseball swing into a golf swing, but with a few of the basic pointers and a good understanding of sports mechanics, you'll get the ball moving down the fairway in no time...Maybe.
It is allowed to take a book to the course, and many professionals carry the book I mentioned to get their things straight.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2011, 02:52:38 PM »
Anyone watching the Augusta's Final Round? This is my favourite tournament.

That kid is still winning by one shot followed by Ángel Cabrera, and Tiger is third. Choi is not doing bad at all either.

Inb4 Tick gets mad.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2011, 03:07:45 PM »
Yeah I'm watching it

GO TIGER
I AM A GUY

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2011, 03:18:39 PM »
Dammit, McIkelroy, YOU BLEW IT!!! Triple bogey on that cursed hole. A lot of big players that have been near to win this tournament, like Greg Norman, lost thanks to this hole.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2011, 03:31:04 PM »
This is just sad...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2011, 04:02:40 PM »
So many guys have a chance to win.  Great drama.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2011, 04:17:51 PM »
I get why people who have never played golf, or played it and hated it, don't like watching it. But a final round at Augusta like this can be as captivating as any sport.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jag66

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2011, 04:18:36 PM »
Poor rory.. unfortunately he has the brit gene - the lack of bottle  :-[

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2011, 05:02:06 PM »
He won because he got on fire in the last holes, good for him.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2011, 07:31:46 AM »
Luke Donald's finish was just as impressive.  That damn 12th hole!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2011, 08:26:19 AM »
I was hoping for a playoff and then Schwartzel had to get hot and ruin it. :lol  Gotta hand it to him though, not many guys can finish a Masters with 4 straight birdies.  That was clutch.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2011, 08:34:48 AM »
I was hoping for a playoff and then Schwartzel had to get hot and ruin it. :lol  Gotta hand it to him though, not many guys can finish a Masters with 4 straight birdies.  That was clutch.

The most impressive part of him or any new person winning is the battle of nerves.  Every year someone looses it and for a young guy like Schwartzel to kill those nerves was very impressive.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2011, 08:20:02 AM »
This feels like an appropriate coolgolfstorybro. 

I'm at the golf course this past weekend, standing on a tee box next to water.  We hear a pack of dogs barking non-stop.  We then see them swimming across the lake, and at least five get out on the fairway across the water.  The dogs disappear into the woods.  The barking was literally non-stop for an hour.  Anyways, our group turns around to see a group of 4 deer bounding up the fairway when they see the group ahead of us and dart hard right between the houses into the neighborhood.  I've never seen that many deer together on the golf course before, and we all agreed that they were probobly spooked by the dogs, but they came from the opposite direction.  We play the hole and get onto the green when we hear the dogs, who haven't stopped barking, near the edge of the woods on the other side of the lake, about 100 feet away.  Three dogs then enter the lake and start swimming along the bank, barking the whole time.  They were traking and hunting a dear that got seperated.  It somehow hid behind the dogs and swam across the lake into our fairway and took off.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2013, 09:59:40 PM »
Nowhere else to put this really.  At first I thought it was a joke, but it's fucking brilliant.  If you've got 75 spare seconds, have a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=z5u_2bGPdUY

Oh, and bump in anticipation of The Masters. :happydance:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2013, 10:04:03 PM »
I went golfing today for the first time this season. Played nine on a course I never played before. I shot a 46.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2013, 08:00:22 AM »
Nowhere else to put this really.  At first I thought it was a joke, but it's fucking brilliant.  If you've got 75 spare seconds, have a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=z5u_2bGPdUY

Oh, and bump in anticipation of The Masters. :happydance:

Saw that yesterday, loved the video, and Bubba is a cool guy. That eagle he got on a par 5 that was something like 590 yards is one of my favorite golf videos. Drives it off the tee, drives it off the fairway, putts it in.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2013, 12:20:48 PM »
I'm going to The PLAYERS tomorrow and I'm crazy excited.  I'm not sure what my game plan is gonna be.  I've gone the last three years, and none of those tournaments were anything like the way this one is shaping up.  If Tiger is anywhere near the lead, it will be absolutely nuts there.  I couldn't follow Tiger last year because the crowd was so huge, and he wasn't even in contention.  I followed Rickie around the whole course.  I might just keep jumping ahead to find a good spot.  Last year in round 4, Tiger's tee shot on the par 5 11th landed 20 yards short of me in the right rough.  I stood 5 feet away as he did his thing, as if 100 people weren't surrounding him.  He hit a 4-iron out of the rough and it sounded like the ball exploded.  :omg:

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2013, 07:07:31 AM »
Shot a new personal best yesterday.

Not bad for only playing 1 year 10 months. 

:)
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
Squirrel vs. Golf Ball
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2013, 02:11:58 PM »
Shot a new personal best yesterday.

Congrats dude!  Feels good, don't it?  I recently forgot how to hit a golf ball for a few months, but played well last time out and it was such a relief.

I thought about posting these things earlier, but here goes a few "coolgolfstoriesbro".

-290 yards, par 4, into a stiff wind.  I didn't think it would get there, but it did.  I flew the green with a foursome still on it.  It landed within feet of at least two of them.  I never yelled "fore", because until it landed on the green, I still didn't think it would get there.  I yelled "sorry."  One of them picked up my ball and threw it in the woods.  As we drove up, a couple of them had hung around and drove off as we got close.  Whatevs, it was an awesome drive.

-Since I forgot how to hit my irons for a while, it was ugly.  I hit a 9 iron out of the rough and caught it thin.  As I was swinging, a squirrel ran in front of me from right to left.  The ball hit him dead center in his body and he tumbled back several times, flopped around a little, then ran up the tree.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2013, 03:28:59 PM »
MICKELSON !!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2013, 05:13:01 PM »
Now that's the way to finish off a major.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2013, 05:30:15 PM »
I found these douche goggles while golfing today.