Author Topic: "This band takes itself too seriously."  (Read 6688 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: "This band takes itself too seriously."
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2010, 09:22:21 PM »
I used to think PoS took themselves a wee bit too seriously. Now, I wish they would.

Oh god do I agree with your second sentence.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2010, 09:18:30 AM »
I realize it's kind of a dickish, holier-than-thou thing to say about a band, but I don't mean it to be. I just don't think their music is good enough for the heavy concepts. I feel the same way about most prog bands, PoS is just the most popular offender, in my opinion.

There's a whole camp of rock journalists who believe that rock music in general should have nothing to do with 'heavy' or enlightened concepts.  So a band like Rush, who frequently write about literary and philosophical subjects, will always be considered a pretentious and 'Why so serious?' band by these critics.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2010, 09:25:13 AM »
I realize it's kind of a dickish, holier-than-thou thing to say about a band, but I don't mean it to be. I just don't think their music is good enough for the heavy concepts. I feel the same way about most prog bands, PoS is just the most popular offender, in my opinion.

There's a whole camp of rock journalists who believe that rock music in general should have nothing to do with 'heavy' or enlightened concepts.  So a band like Rush, who frequently write about literary and philosophical subjects, will always be considered a pretentious and 'Why so serious?' band by these critics.
If rock music shouldn't deal with heavy concepts then what style of music should? ???

EDIT: I know it's not your opinion, but figured you might know something about it, as I've never heard that stated before, and indeed know a number of people who would say that rock music is the most appropriate music genre to deal with heavy concepts.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2010, 09:43:47 AM »

There's a whole camp of rock journalists who believe that rock music in general should have nothing to do with 'heavy' or enlightened concepts.  So a band like Rush, who frequently write about literary and philosophical subjects, will always be considered a pretentious and 'Why so serious?' band by these critics.
If rock music shouldn't deal with heavy concepts then what style of music should? ???

EDIT: I know it's not your opinion, but figured you might know something about it, as I've never heard that stated before, and indeed know a number of people who would say that rock music is the most appropriate music genre to deal with heavy concepts.

To some, it's all about the hedonistic "sex, drugs and Rock and roll" mentality.  AC/DC givin' the dog a bone or Judas Priest livin' after midnight.  Rock and roll in its purest form shouldn't be about Ayn Rand or the Shastric scriptures.  If it is, then it can't be good rock music (not imo btw).  
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2010, 09:50:02 AM »
Rock journalists need to grow up. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2010, 09:53:01 AM »
Well, it is a pretty extreme (fundamentalist?) point of view, but it's definitely there.  Certainly not so much on a prog board.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2010, 09:54:31 AM »
Indeed. I just have something against people who think that music or a particular type of music should all be the same in some way. Surely what makes music so great is the amount of variety it has?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2010, 09:59:31 AM »
Of course, but lyrics are a funny thing.   Put gangsta rap lyrics to country music and there will be an outcry from folks who will refuse to acknowledge that it's still country music.  Abstract as 'words' and 'lyrics' might be, they have a deep-seated effect on how one perceives and labels their musical genres. 
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2010, 10:13:17 AM »
This conversation just got a lot more interesting :)

PS- Love that Zappa quote  :tup
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2010, 01:29:19 PM »
Indeed. I just have something against people who think that music or a particular type of music should all be the same in some way. Surely what makes music so great is the amount of variety it has?
Absolutely.