Author Topic: Led Zeppelin Appreciation Thread  (Read 60528 times)

Offline Anxiety35

Re: Led Zeppelin Appreciation Thread
« Reply #315 on: September 27, 2017, 01:05:47 PM »
Zep is what got me playing drums. My dad had all their albums on vinyl and they were constantly being played in the house when I was a kid. My dad was a drummer and my mom got him a new kit when I was 6. That's when I started playing. "When the Levee Breaks" was the first real rock song I could play on the drums. Not crazy technical, I know, but I still love that beat.

To say Bonham was an influence on me is an understatement.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #316 on: September 27, 2017, 01:44:37 PM »
When The Levee Breaks has that unearthly huge drum sound.  :metal And Bonham played not bad either.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #317 on: September 27, 2017, 07:57:38 PM »
Just want to say that Wearing n Tearing, from Coda, is a TAC Top 10 Zeppelin tune.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #318 on: September 27, 2017, 08:48:50 PM »
Just want to say that Wearing n Tearing, from Coda, is a TAC Top 10 Zeppelin tune.

Killer track for sure, but I could probably name 20 I'd place ahead of it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #319 on: September 29, 2017, 02:39:00 PM »
When The Levee Breaks has that unearthly huge drum sound.  :metal And Bonham played not bad either.

I have a rep at work for foot drumming to songs at my desk (we listen to Pandora on shuffle all day in the background), and When the Levee Breaks is one of the two LZ songs that I cannot not foot drum to (The Ocean being the other).  :metal

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #320 on: September 30, 2017, 02:00:29 PM »
I just listened to 2 of Robert Plant's new songs from his new solo album. Very soul filled music that reminds me Zeps early
albums.

I was really a HUGE Zep fan back in the day and loved all of the albums but IV has something about it...a quality that spoke to
millions of listeners over generations, that is maybe only rivaled by Dark Side Of The Moon in terms of being able to transport
you to a different place. It's the kind of album that needs to be in the time capsule that floats around in space so 1000 years
from now the aliens will be able to hear it.

Haven't heard a note yet, but plan on getting this. I've loved ever album he's done since 1993's Fate Of Nations and about half the songs on the albums before that.

I'm hoping the gig we want to catch in February doesn't run smack in the middle of our Marillion show.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #321 on: September 30, 2017, 06:12:39 PM »

10 Years Gone is one of my favorite Zepp tracks...

:tup Same here. I've been getting back into Zeppelin over the past year. Physical Graffiti and Houses are my two favorite albums. I think PG may have the edge over Houses, though. The Rover, Wanton, Houses (oddly enough), Trampled, Kashmir, and Ten Years Gone, especially. Also one of my favorites to play, as well.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #322 on: September 30, 2017, 07:37:15 PM »

10 Years Gone is one of my favorite Zepp tracks...

:tup Same here. I've been getting back into Zeppelin over the past year. Physical Graffiti and Houses are my two favorite albums. I think PG may have the edge over Houses, though. The Rover, Wanton, Houses (oddly enough), Trampled, Kashmir, and Ten Years Gone, especially. Also one of my favorites to play, as well.

Me too. 10 years gone is my favorite track on physical graffiti

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #323 on: September 30, 2017, 11:40:09 PM »
the guitar solo in 10 Years is timeless.

a recent Zeppelin  "Retrospective" done by some YouTubers, some may find entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QHNDwtvNzQ

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #324 on: May 11, 2019, 08:48:00 PM »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: May 12, 2019, 05:49:19 AM »
Coolio!!!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #326 on: May 12, 2019, 07:14:00 AM »
Documentaries are the way.  Biopics suck.  I'd always rather see actual footage and interviews with the people and people who knew them than watch someone pretending to be them and some story about them which is mostly made up.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: May 12, 2019, 07:53:02 AM »
So you're not going to see Rocketman in the theatre.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #328 on: May 12, 2019, 06:40:06 PM »
Correct.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #329 on: May 12, 2019, 06:41:24 PM »
I'll take both, but I'm really psyched for this documentary!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #330 on: May 13, 2019, 10:05:39 AM »
Documentaries are the way.  Biopics suck.  I'd always rather see actual footage and interviews with the people and people who knew them than watch someone pretending to be them and some story about them which is mostly made up.

Credit where credit is due:  XeRocks, who posts here a fair amount shared it with me, but there's a 30 minute or so video out there where a guy breaks down rock music biopics and he's shockingly accurate in his criticisms of the form and format of the genre.  There are very specific tropes that find their way into these pictures.  I saw the video around the time of BoRhap, and it was spot on, then the Motley Crue pic fit, and I'm watching the trailers from Rocket Man and they fit to a tee.  Even down to all three having that final shot of the triumphant artist - shot from behind - as they stand before their adoring audience. 

I'll see if I can find the link. 

EDIT:  Found it!  https://youtu.be/K3q3LEaK7_U  (Don't judge it by the first 3 to 5 minutes; it gets better and more in-depth).

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #331 on: May 13, 2019, 10:08:09 AM »
I think, for me, if it's a band I know almost anything about and enjoy beyond 1-2 of their big hits, then I prefer a documentary.

I really didn't like Bohemian Rhapsody (as a movie, performances were good) because I really love Queen and know a decent amount about them.

I really didn't like The Dirt because it was a god awful movie. But a good Motley Crue biopic would have been fine since I don't care about them beyond a few of their greatest hits.

Same with Elton John. Looking forward to Rocket Man (which may suck) because I just know his big big hits and very little else.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #332 on: July 27, 2020, 11:18:50 AM »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: July 27, 2020, 12:14:27 PM »
Zepbot song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY6UkUe9XGI

I couldn't make it more than 45 seconds.  The facepalming on this was off the charts.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: July 27, 2020, 12:42:52 PM »
Zepbot song!

I couldn't make it more than 45 seconds.  The facepalming on this was off the charts.

Isn't that Greta Van Fleet?   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #335 on: July 27, 2020, 12:45:59 PM »
Zepbot song!

If you read the comments, half of them are along the lines of, "there's already a bot that mimics Zeppelin...it's called Greta Van Fleet."

I think these AI covers are hilarious.  My favorite was the one for AC/DC ("Great Balls"), primarily because the singer's mimicking of Brian Johnson's singing is spot-on.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: July 27, 2020, 12:50:37 PM »
HAHAHA, great minds (I swear I didn't look at the comments!).    I liked the AC/DC one too, and I liked the music here a lot, but that wasn't Plant and it wasn't close enough to create the illusion.  I'd'a liked it more if it was a closer match. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #337 on: July 29, 2020, 12:14:39 PM »
Zepbot song!

Greta Van Thief or Kingdom Clone - take your pick!   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #338 on: July 29, 2020, 05:41:30 PM »
Zepbot song!

Greta Van Thief or Kingdom Clone - take your pick!   :biggrin:

Strongly prefer Dread Zeppelin myself. Wish I'd seen them live.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: August 08, 2020, 10:19:33 PM »
Just came across this Robert Plant podcast.  Pretty good stuff!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdCNbX-S3AY

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #340 on: August 09, 2020, 01:44:01 AM »
I've listened to more Zep over lockdown than I have for a decade. Mostly Presence and In Through The Out Door - primarily as I hadn't absolutely listened to those to death over the last three decades! It's been great. Best band that ever existed.

I love those last two records as much as the rest. They have a couple of different factors that stick out for me - the clarity of the drums on them both is better than on any other record. Bonzo is beautiful to listen to. And the variation of style on Out Door is fantastic.

If i had to choose a favourite platter it would be III or PG.

I also read Mick Wall's upated biog. Bit depressing, really, esp with regards to Bonham's behaviour, particularly. Was interesting, nonetheless.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #341 on: August 09, 2020, 02:49:46 AM »
I also think Presence and ITTOD are at the same level as the rest of their career. It's remarkable that even their less popular albums are brilliant.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: August 09, 2020, 08:34:08 AM »
I've listened to more Zep over lockdown than I have for a decade. Mostly Presence and In Through The Out Door - primarily as I hadn't absolutely listened to those to death over the last three decades! It's been great. Best band that ever existed.

I love those last two records as much as the rest. They have a couple of different factors that stick out for me - the clarity of the drums on them both is better than on any other record. Bonzo is beautiful to listen to. And the variation of style on Out Door is fantastic.

I also read Mick Wall's upated biog. Bit depressing, really, esp with regards to Bonham's behaviour, particularly. Was interesting, nonetheless.
Is that Bonzo info in the book or Blog?  Link?  Thanks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #343 on: August 09, 2020, 10:28:56 AM »
My favorite LZ albums I think would be I and III. I really love the bluesy laid back chill atmosphere of I and the folk, earthy vibes going on with III.

All the albums bring something decent to the table though.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #344 on: August 09, 2020, 01:59:39 PM »

Is that Bonzo info in the book or Blog?  Link?  Thanks.

Was in the book. https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CRLXJWS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_-ufmFbMQ2A5Q6

It's the on-tour behaviour I'm referring to.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: August 09, 2020, 02:05:25 PM »
I just dropped in to say :

Bonzo > > > > > > Keith Moon and there is zero contest.

Thank you.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #346 on: August 09, 2020, 05:05:27 PM »
I've always considered Zeppelin and Renaissance to have had the most consistent discographies of the bands from 70's,  as I enjoy every record they released almost equally (sans for Coda which isn't really canon).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: August 10, 2020, 06:56:36 AM »
Just came across this Robert Plant podcast.  Pretty good stuff!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdCNbX-S3AY

Nice (and obscure) Yes references!

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: October 23, 2023, 07:43:47 PM »
Bump!

I saw this video of Robert Plant singing Stairway to Heaven recently, I think he still sounds great here: https://consequence.net/2023/10/robert-plant-led-zeppelin-stairway-to-heaven/

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: October 23, 2023, 08:03:47 PM »
Funny enough, mrs.jingle shared that with me this morning, and I passed it along to my boys.  The whole clip is here https://www.facebook.com/DuranDuranArgentina1/posts/pfbid0toB9FXX9LdetVzBYP9xTQjBzxaCNUW2bmbqF7gikYW6tp9Qz7Xky4fgwBsFfKMw5l ... Plant comes in around the 44 minute mark to do a few Zeppelin tracks - Thank You, Black Dog, Stairway, and Season of the Witch (a Donovan cover).

Comment in the chat ... 'could be the last time we ever hear Stairway sung' (by Plant)