Author Topic: Led Zeppelin Appreciation Thread  (Read 61206 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Led Zeppelin Appreciation Thread
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2010, 04:57:20 PM »
I agree with Mladen that the 2nd disc of PG has a few forgettable songs, but it also has some killer ones.  Overall, PG is still a damn fine album; one of my favorites by LZ.  "Ten Years Gone" and "In My Time of Dying" are two of my favorite LZ tunes, and "Black Country Woman" is a great song that never seems to get talked about.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2010, 05:33:50 PM »
Ten Years Gone is just one of the most beautiful songs ever written.  PG for me is a few good studio cuts, followed by a few songs that are overshadowed by superior live versions, then the rest filler.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2010, 10:36:10 PM »
Led Zeppelin are pretty great. I can't say I've ever been cuckoo about them, but I've consistently enjoyed their stuff quite a lot ever since I first got into them.

I still need to get LZ3, and any of the albums after PG, though I hadn't actually considered getting them (except for 3).

Of the ones I've heard, my favourites would be 4, then PG, then 1. Houses of the Holy is my least favourite by an insane margin.

The second disc of PG is all over the place, but in a good way. The only track I'm not so fond of is the last, cos it's far too typical, but second-rate Zeppelin.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2010, 11:23:20 PM »
Of the ones I've heard, my favourites would be 4, then PG, then 1. Houses of the Holy is my least favourite by an insane margin.

Wow, that's wacky.  Every Zep fan I know tends to regard the fourth album and Houses pretty much equally, with one slightly edging out the other.  What is it about Houses that you don't like?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2010, 11:29:03 PM »
Houses of the Holy is my least favourite by an insane margin.

To each his own. :)  

Personally, it is my favorite.  I love the laid back vibe of songs like "The Rain Song" and "No Quarter."  "The Crunge" is a slight hiccup, but everything else on this record is absolutely aces. :tup :tup

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2010, 11:41:28 PM »
I love the laid back vibe of songs like "The Rain Song" and "No Quarter."  "The Crunge" is a slight hiccup, but everything else on this record is absolutely aces. :tup :tup
Totally agreed.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2010, 02:09:24 AM »

Wow, that's wacky.  Every Zep fan I know tends to regard the fourth album and Houses pretty much equally, with one slightly edging out the other.  What is it about Houses that you don't like?
I like the Rain Song, Over the Hills and Far Away and D'Yer Maker. The rest isn't absolutely terrible, but it's just never gone down well for me, so overall, I much prefer all of their other albums. I find this album sounds far more like outtakes than PG.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2010, 08:05:06 AM »
Well okay, as KevShmev says, to each his own.  I thought maybe it was the sound/production of the album.  The fourth album sounds quite warm and rich to me, whereas Houses sounds a lot brighter and open.  I find the songs very comparable, though.

"The Song Remains the Same" is one of my all-time favorite album openers.  Grabs you by the hair, slaps you round a little, backs off, then starts in on you again.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2010, 08:12:17 AM »
I'd say Houses of the holy is my favorite hard rock album of all time. I don't know why I called it a hard rock album, because there's a lot of diversity on it - can you believe The Crunge, Dyer Maker, No quarter and Dancing days are recorded by the same band and released on the same album? I like every single song, it's just a wonderful piece of music.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2010, 08:17:36 AM »
Road trip today, five or six hours, to go jam with my buds in Michigan.  I think I'll listen to House of the Holy all the way through.  Thanks for the suggestion! 

:tup

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2010, 08:26:38 AM »
Houses is amazing. I love every song from it. I spin the vinyl often enough

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2010, 12:22:28 PM »
I just got totally into them and they're awesome. They've always been my father's favorite band, but somehow I just couldn't get addicted to it. Now, after having listened to so many contemporary rock bands, hearing this: This is something truly unique, still.

I started out with Led Zeppelin IV, because I thought it was the easiest to get into. It worked, and now I'm starting with Zeppelin I, working my way up. Their DVD release simply called 'DVD' is excellent as well.

So, tell us how you got into Zeppelin, what you like about them/got into them/favorite songs/album etc. Or don't like about them, as long as you speak with respect!  :hat

p.s. I'm now at track #4: Dazed and Confused. I'm mildly familiar with it, but I never truly listened to it. This is AMAZING!
*cherry=popped*

Been listening to Zep for over thirty years.  Enjoy the experience.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2010, 12:30:50 PM »
I've listened to I, II, IV and Holy thus far. Holy is pretty damn great! Lots of different styles, and I recognised one of the songs, with the reggae vibe. That's great!
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2010, 05:56:07 AM »
Led Zeppelin is awesome, probably my favorite band of all time.  I first got hooked hearing their stuff on the radio, and getting enthralled with all the mystique around Stairway.  I was hooked.  Once I started messing around with guitar, Stairway was one of the first songs I learned.  Still a masterpiece, after all this time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2010, 06:10:22 AM »
My favorite album run for Zep is,

Houses Of The Holy
Physical Graffiti
Presence
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2010, 07:53:03 AM »
also, let me just throw it out there that How The West Was Won is one of the best live albums out there. If I could see any band from any time live, Zeppelin in their prime would probably edge out MoP tour Metallica
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2010, 10:42:35 AM »
Just saw the tribute band Kashmir last night, and they were awesome. From the replica kit and the guitars, to the looks, hair, clothes, and mannerisms, they were great. Their laser show was really cool as well, and really mesmerized me (although that may have been from what we did before the show ::)). As soon as they finished their encore ("How Many More Times"), we ran back behind the tent (it was an outdoor show) and waited for them to come out and shook their hands and stuff. The only thing that could've been better was if the drummer's rack tom didn't get busted on "Moby Dick", and if his floor toms were mic'd better and weren't dead.

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2010, 12:52:06 PM »
My favorite album run for Zep is,

Houses Of The Holy
Physical Graffiti
Presence
:tup
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2010, 07:33:54 AM »
bump because I was reminded last night of just how much Robert Plant fucking kills it on Since I've Been Loving You.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2010, 08:08:08 AM »
Listened to IV and V straight through the other day.  Loved them both.  Still my favorite back-to-back albums from Zep.

Told my buddy about it, and how III is the only Zep album I really have never gotten into, because it's so different, and he said it's his favorite, because it's so different.  So on the way home, I listened to III straight through.  Still can't grok it.  Some good songs, a few great ones, and way too much of the cajun bayou blues or whatever that is.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 10:25:24 AM by Orbert »

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2010, 08:41:38 AM »
1. Led Zep IV
2. Led Zep I
3. Physical Graffiti
4. Led Zep II
5. Presence

Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2010, 10:26:01 AM »
Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin experience released dates today! Probably seeing them in November. :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
also, let me just throw it out there that How The West Was Won is one of the best live albums out there. If I could see any band from any time live, Zeppelin in their prime would probably edge out MoP tour Metallica
All of this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2010, 10:57:07 AM »
I would hit this:

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE67C1C020100813

Jason Bonham takes Led Zeppelin Experience on road

By Gary Graff

Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:28am EDT

DETROIT (Billboard) - Jason Bonham knows better than to promise a Led Zeppelin reunion as part of his "Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience" show that goes on tour this fall. But he's certainly not opposed to the idea.

"I'm not going to hide it from them," Bonham, who filled his late father John "Bonzo" Bonham's spot and played with Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones at the 2007 Zep reunion concert at London's O2 arena, tells Billboard.com.

"I will invite them to every show I can, because my goal and dream is, 'Wouldn't it be cool if I did something that they thought was cool and they would get up and play with me?' That's what I'm doing (this) for. I'd love it."

Plant has, in fact, already given his public blessing to Bonham's multimedia show, which is due to hit the road this October in North America. Bonham says he has yet to hear from Page and Jones, whom he worked with on an unrealized project shortly after the O2 show.

The shows, commemorating the 30th anniversary of John Bonham's death and the immediate dissolution of Led Zeppelin, are co-produced by Annerin Productions, which also presents the Beatles tribute show "Rain" and "The Pink Floyd Experience."

"What I want to do is a personal story," explains Bonham, who was 14 when his hard-living choked on his vomit aged 32.

He will be accompanied by a five-piece band whose members he has yet to reveal. The show will incorporate archival video material and set changes, and Bonham plans to record narration that will precede some of the songs and "give a little background on them and the reason why I'm playing them, and stories about growing up with dad and how Zeppelin has been part of my life from the beginning. It's a good musical journey; it'll be sad at times ... but it will really be a celebration."

Bonham hopes that his "Led Zeppelin Experience" will expand beyond the 30 shows he currently has planned, and he'd like to see the production grow to possibly include orchestrations -- which he may try out in certain cities during the fall tour. Dates and ticket sale information are expected to be announced next week
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2010, 11:34:37 AM »
I would hit this:

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE67C1C020100813

Jason Bonham takes Led Zeppelin Experience on road

By Gary Graff

Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:28am EDT

DETROIT (Billboard) - Jason Bonham knows better than to promise a Led Zeppelin reunion as part of his "Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience" show that goes on tour this fall. But he's certainly not opposed to the idea.

"I'm not going to hide it from them," Bonham, who filled his late father John "Bonzo" Bonham's spot and played with Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones at the 2007 Zep reunion concert at London's O2 arena, tells Billboard.com.

"I will invite them to every show I can, because my goal and dream is, 'Wouldn't it be cool if I did something that they thought was cool and they would get up and play with me?' That's what I'm doing (this) for. I'd love it."

Plant has, in fact, already given his public blessing to Bonham's multimedia show, which is due to hit the road this October in North America. Bonham says he has yet to hear from Page and Jones, whom he worked with on an unrealized project shortly after the O2 show.

The shows, commemorating the 30th anniversary of John Bonham's death and the immediate dissolution of Led Zeppelin, are co-produced by Annerin Productions, which also presents the Beatles tribute show "Rain" and "The Pink Floyd Experience."

"What I want to do is a personal story," explains Bonham, who was 14 when his hard-living choked on his vomit aged 32.

He will be accompanied by a five-piece band whose members he has yet to reveal. The show will incorporate archival video material and set changes, and Bonham plans to record narration that will precede some of the songs and "give a little background on them and the reason why I'm playing them, and stories about growing up with dad and how Zeppelin has been part of my life from the beginning. It's a good musical journey; it'll be sad at times ... but it will really be a celebration."

Bonham hopes that his "Led Zeppelin Experience" will expand beyond the 30 shows he currently has planned, and he'd like to see the production grow to possibly include orchestrations -- which he may try out in certain cities during the fall tour. Dates and ticket sale information are expected to be announced next week

Beat you to it, I actually posted something about it on the first page, plus this:
Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin experience released dates today! Probably seeing them in November. :metal
;D

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2010, 12:12:35 PM »
Bonham, who was 14 when his hard-living choked on his vomit aged 32.

What?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2010, 12:13:59 PM »
That sounds pretty neat, actually.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2010, 01:30:15 PM »
Just started a Zeppelin survivor in the P/S section. :)

Offline Kornflake

« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2010, 10:22:54 PM »
I got into Zeppelin in highschool in 2001 or 2002 or so.  It was before everyone had broadband internet and Napster was just kind of starting to hit the scene...  So I started scouring garage sales for 50 cent vinyl records rather than paying $20 on CDs...besides...the classics fromt he 70s beat 3 Doors Down and Wheatus any day.  I got my hands on Zeppelin II for $1 and they've been one of my top 3 favourites ever since. The problem I ran into was that I started getting really into records, and then found myself going to trade shows and stuff and paying $20+ to get my hands on some of the rarer ones...which was pretty much exactly opposite to why I started buying them in the first place lol.
Zeppelin III is probably my #1 and I love Physical Graffiti too...Bron-Yr-Aur (forgive me if I spelled it wrong) might be my favourite song ever.
Great Great band.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2011, 08:56:38 PM »
I think Led Zeppelin is a pretty cool guy. eh plays Stairway in a guitar shop and doesnt afraid of anything.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2011, 04:40:40 AM »
I and IV are my faves, followed by prescence :)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2011, 10:20:09 AM »
I could write a book on Zep.  Hands down the greatest rock band in the world.  I remember back in 75 I came across a '71 L.A. Forum bootleg at a swapmeet, It had them playing Black Dog and Stairway, before the album was released.  It was awesome...the intro to Stairway, everyone was very quiet... by the end the crowd was going INFUCKINGSANE!!!!  I actually thought about this bootleg when reading the recent ytsejam thread.  Amazing back then how hard it was to come across a bootleg.  Jimmy Page is one of the best songwriters in Rock history, not the best performer live mind ya... but overall one of the best.  Case in point, just listen too the first 7 mins of Achilles Last Stand.  Hard to rate the albums, cause it's changed for me over the decades.  For now, I'd go with....

1.  Physical Graffiti
2.  LZ 1
3.  LZ IV  ( some call it the Zoso album, some call it 4, some call it simply LZ)
4.  LZ 2
5.  TSRTS
6.  Houses of the Holy
7.  Presence
8.  LZ 3
9.  ITTOD

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2011, 11:30:29 AM »
Ahh... Led Zeppelin.  How hum-drum and shocking is it for a 47-year old male who went to HS in the 70s to proclaim that Led Zep is his all-time favorite band?   Ummm... very!  But I'm gonna say it anyway:  Led Zeppelin are my all-time favorite band.  It wasn't always this way, as this is one band that has managed to come full-circle on me.  

It started when I was about 12-13 yrs old and I first heard Whole Lotta Love being played as a single on the radio.  Everything about it absolutely blew me away, from that weird cough at the beginning into the explosive Page riff that immediately gets doubled with JPJ's bass.  Then the unbridled Plant vocal/lyric that's filled with sexual innuendo up the kazoo, and the weirdly orgasmic instrumental break that resolves itself into a classic Page solo.... I was hooked BIG TIME.   So was the rest of the world.  

And that was part of the problem with Zeppelin for me after a few years of hoarding up all their albums..... they got TOO big.   They were EVERYWHERE overexposed with their music being played to death on hit radio, and I got caught up in the media backlash that called them out for being self-indulgent piggish superstars (which they were).  So there was a time in my college years when I didn't go near Zeppelin, opting in favor of more trendy 80s music like The Clash, Iron Maiden, Priest, Queensryche, Metallica, The Grateful Dead etc.    

With the perspective of time, however, and after listening to tons of bands over the years, I've come to recognize that their music has never really been truly surpassed.   Led Zeppelin manages to satisfy my craving for so much that I ask for in my music.  

- I love hard rock, and there is no rhythm section that has ever hit me quite as hard as Jones/Bonham.  Not one.  Back in the day, most bands revolved around 1, maybe 2 players, usually the vocalist or lead guitarist.  Zep was one of the 1st groups (Cream the other) that showed what could done when a band consisted of 4 "lead" instrumentalists.    

- I love prog rock, and Zeppelin, while not truly 'prog', is one of the only hard rock bands to "progress" from album to album.  What band was able to shift from heavy blues to celtic folk to Middle-eastern modes so seamlessly, and all within the span of one album?  Banjo anyone?  Mandolin Mellotron Theremin?  Page was not afraid to experiment.  And the beauty of it was that he was his own George Martin.  No one except Page himself was going to mess with the artistic integrity of his band.  When I first bought Led Zeppelin III, I didn't get it.  WTF were they doing with all these mellow acoustic tracks?   At the time, it was a letdown to me after the heavy metal brute power of II.  In hindsight, after seeing what they did with Zoso and Houses, I can better understand where Page was coming from and now have a whole new appreciation and love for III.    

- I love jam music, and Zeppelin are one of the few bands (The Dead and King Crimson being the others) that I will actively seek out bootlegs because I absolutely adore their extended jams (No Quarter, Dazed and Confused, Bring It On Home) and song variants (Immigrant Song, Over The Hills, etc).  As exacting as Jimmy Page was in the studio, they played fast and loose in a live setting.  Page admitted that they were very much a "jam" band when a journalist opined that their live songs were never faithful to the studio versions.      

So yeah... nerdy as it sounds, I've got a little shrine to Zeppelin in my den consisting of my old vinyls, a newer cd boxset, several biography books, live dvds, bootleg cds, all topped off with a miniature Jimmy Page figure triumphantly holding up his violin bow.  

LV, I can't remember if I had read this previously, but I enjored it! About time you take a stand on something. :P
Now we just have to get you to do a Top 10 LZ songs and Top 3 LZ albums list!

I love this line:
  Led Zeppelin manages to satisfy my craving for so much that I ask for in my music.   

In many ways this sums up how I feel about Dream Theater. They take the best of all I love about music and bands and wrap it up nicely into one package.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2011, 11:33:04 AM »
Did our search function suddenly start working, or did someone actually search, find, and ressurect a seven-month-old thread?

I'm not complaining, just wondering.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2011, 12:29:25 PM »
Did our search function suddenly start working, or did someone actually search, find, and ressurect a seven-month-old thread?

I'm not complaining, just wondering.

It is I. I used the search function and chose the "Led Zeppelin appreciation thread" with the most recent reply.