Author Topic: Led Zeppelin Appreciation Thread  (Read 61262 times)

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
Re: Led Zeppelin Appreciation Thread
« Reply #140 on: September 13, 2012, 11:10:40 AM »
Zepp II was my first, and will always be my fav.  I did "What is and what should never be" in a lipsynch contest in high school with some friends.

Zep II is my favourite album like, ever.

Can't say I've ever lipsynched What is and What Should Never Be though...

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #141 on: September 13, 2012, 10:09:20 PM »
Not everyone has huge TVs and surround sound at home.  Watching a concert video on the big screen in 7.1 surround is much more satisfying, and much closer to an actual concert experience, than playing the DVD and listening to it through the crappy TV speakers.

There's also the matter of how widespread a release it is. I'm looking at the Zep site right now, and all of the links to the theaters playing it, thus far, aren't national chains. The closest theater I've found to me running it is about a two hour drive one way, and that chain only has six other locations. Apparently they didn't want to release it via AMC.  :lol

(edit.) It's playing on 1500 screens over 40 countries. That's fairly limited. So, no biggie, I'll just wait for a blu-ray.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #142 on: September 13, 2012, 10:17:27 PM »
I'm in the Chicago suburbs, and there's a theater out here that gets some pretty cool/obscure stuff, so we'll probably get it.  The fully restored Ben-Hur got shown here this summer, as did The Godfather and The Godfather, Part II when they were restored last year.  If there's something like that, we get it, but I can't imagine small towns getting that kind of thing.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #143 on: September 14, 2012, 09:43:19 AM »
The funny thing is, I live in an area of Virginia that has 1.5 million people in it across thirteen cities, two of the largest cities in the state in Norfolk and Virginia Beach-and this movie is actually playing in smaller cities but not here! Go figure.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #144 on: September 14, 2012, 10:14:19 AM »
In that case I have no idea how they choose the venues.  Maybe it also takes into account the Led Zeppelin demographic in the area.  You folks in Virginia are all just hicks who listen to Bluegrass and C&W, no way they could fill a theater with Led Zeppelin fans.

(And in case it's not obvious, I'm kidding)

Offline Jaq

« Reply #145 on: September 14, 2012, 01:38:41 PM »
That might be WHY it's playing in smaller cities here then! Bluegrass is more rural!  "Hey, that Robert Plant guy did bluegrass with Alison Krauss, let's go see that other band of his!"  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #146 on: September 14, 2012, 01:48:15 PM »
Well, there you go.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2012, 04:55:22 AM »
Wow the band sounds amazing on Celebration Day. Great package too!  Too bad they didn't continue on with a reunion tour and album.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #148 on: November 21, 2012, 05:24:21 AM »
Yes... not like they need the money, but they could have made bajillion's!  Excellent album.  Can't wait to spin the DVD.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #149 on: November 21, 2012, 05:29:26 AM »
I saw the clip of Black Dog, I think, and the performance was awful. Some of the other clips I saw weren't quite as bad. Video and sound quality seemed top notch though.

Really a shame they didn't tour though. Only one show? What a tease to the fans.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: November 21, 2012, 06:48:26 AM »
Seriously?

Plant sounds awesome on Celebration Day. He's not singing the same notes lots, but he's still "on" and he's still got fantastic timbre. It's amazing, for a band their age. Plant sounds even better singing his recent solo stuff.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: November 21, 2012, 07:01:37 AM »
I just rechecked the clip I was thinking of, and I was a bit harsh on my overall judgement.
Plant sounds ok for a guy his age, but I do personally hate it when a singer doesn't sing the original melodies and doesn't respect the original phrasing. I don't know why they tune down if not to allow the singer to hit the original melodies. And the songs really lose something tuned down a whole step. I just checked out the Rock n Roll clip again, and Plant was actually really good on that one. I wish he was that good on the other clips I saw.

It's mostly Page that I have issue with. He's sounding bumbley even for him. And there are plenty of old guitarists who are still really tight players. He was never a tight player even at his peak, but some of the stuff is really bad. Seriously, close your eyes and listen to this clip-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HgP1BniSu4&feature=plcp

That's like 12 year old Asian girl doing her first webcam recording for Youtube bad. Luckily they've got a killer rhythm section holding that together. I've got no issues with John Paul Jones and Bonham.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: November 21, 2012, 07:12:04 AM »
Oh yeah, Page can be kinda sloppy nowadays.

I just love Plant, though. And he sounds awesome on his solo stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiokMaodFkw

Obviously he might struggle with Zeppelin stuff, but that's understandable imo.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: November 21, 2012, 07:27:48 AM »
Oh yeah, Page can be kinda sloppy nowadays.

I just love Plant, though. And he sounds awesome on his solo stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiokMaodFkw

Obviously he might struggle with Zeppelin stuff, but that's understandable imo.

It's totally understandable. Those original studio vocals are not easy to match, and he's trying to duplicate his vocals from 40 years ago. He does an admirable job for his age, and I was being a bit harsh on him. He's a bit rough singing the Zeppelin stuff, but it's not bad at all under the circumstances.
And even though he was rough in patches on that solo song too, you really hear how much warmer and nicer his tone is when he's able to stick to the lower range that's more natural to him now. I've been meaning to check out some of his solo stuff.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: November 21, 2012, 07:29:58 AM »
No matter, I will always be an uber-fanboi for anything Zeppelin related.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #155 on: November 21, 2012, 07:38:36 AM »
Led Zeppelin have never played the songs live like the originals, and there's no way they could do it now.  They've always had an element of improvisation and variation to their performances; check out The Song Remains the Same (the movie) and see how different the songs were even then.

I think Plant and Page both figured out a long time ago that they can do whatever they want and people will love it anyway.  Plant can totally play with the melody and rhythm, change the words themselves, and it's gonna work because he really is that good.  Page takes similar liberties, and as has been pointed out, he's always been kinda sloppy anyway.  They basically just have to show up and people will go nuts, but they put in some good effort anyway, and that's what you get.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #156 on: November 21, 2012, 04:28:11 PM »
Even during their heyday in the 70s, Plant had to adjust some of the vocals to account for the fact he just couldn't hit the notes in a live setting.  An example is their live versions of Over the Hills and Far Away.  I can see how it might bother some folks, but I'm fine with it.  Then again, as Zep is my all-time favorite band, I might be the definition of a Zepplelin apologist.

As for Page's sloppiness, he is much more of a 'feel' player than a technician.  There's a manic, frenzied sound to all of his solos, as if they just spontaneously exploded from a tightly packed box. I don't think you can attain that certain spontaneous combustibility in a live show without a bit of loose playing.  Zep live vs. Zep studio are like 2 different entities.  Hard rock bands that can also jam are a rarity these days.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Jaq

« Reply #157 on: November 23, 2012, 05:37:43 PM »
Finally picked up Celebration Day-the 2CD/Blu Ray combo-which means that after a couple of weeks shy of five years, I can finally get rid of that bootleg I downloaded to tide me over until the official release!  :lol Some random thoughts:

Given the monumental fuck up in Dazed and Confused, I thought the solution was rather clever. They altered the tracks a little bit so, while the band was still playing about three different parts at once, it sounded like they MEANT to be playing a confused section, as if the instrumental section had collapsed under its own weight. I couldn't help but be amused, looking at the CD/DVD booklet, to notice that in the songwriting credits Dazed and Confused was credited to "Jimmy Page, inspired by Jake Holmes."  :lol Guess that's the end result of Holmes finally suing Zep over that one a few years back.

Plant was a LOT better than I remembered him being. Jason Bonham was on all night, and John Paul Jones was his usual rock solid self. Page, well, Page even at his best was always messy-the common phrase used to describe his playing was "his fingers got stuck in the strings." But as Page had suffered a broken finger that delayed the show a few weeks, I'm willing to cut him some slack. It was odd, but to the better, to see and hear him not use the Danelectro on In My Time Of Dying and Kashmir-I've heard so many bootlegs with Page playing those songs on that old black and white Danelectro, but both songs sounded a lot better on different guitars. Especially Kashmir, which I will flat out say is the best version of it the band ever done. It's not the best performance the band has out on DVD-that goes to the Royal Albert Hall show from 1970 from DVD-but it's pretty damn good.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: November 25, 2012, 09:03:14 AM »
What was the Dazed and Confused mess up and how did they resolve it ?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: November 25, 2012, 09:17:23 AM »
I couldn't help but be amused, looking at the CD/DVD booklet, to notice that in the songwriting credits Dazed and Confused was credited to "Jimmy Page, inspired by Jake Holmes."  :lol Guess that's the end result of Holmes finally suing Zep over that one a few years back.

So in other words, plagiarized but settled out of court? :P

Offline Jaq

« Reply #160 on: November 25, 2012, 09:49:52 AM »

The Dazed and Confused mess was at the end of the guitar solo section. Page went back to the riff that ends the instrumental section early while Bonham and Jones were playing the last few bars before it. They didn't really RESOLVE it, but the fix was to make it sound like the end of the instrumental section just dissolves into chaos before picking back up the last verse. It sounds like an unholy mess, but it now sounds like they MEANT it to be an unholy mess. It's hard to explain unless you've heard the original boots and Celebration Day.

I couldn't help but be amused, looking at the CD/DVD booklet, to notice that in the songwriting credits Dazed and Confused was credited to "Jimmy Page, inspired by Jake Holmes."  :lol Guess that's the end result of Holmes finally suing Zep over that one a few years back.

So in other words, plagiarized but settled out of court? :P

That would seem to be the case.That's one of those things everyone's known about that song for decades, that Page flat out stole the credit for it. It was still being credited to just Jimmy Page as recently as the Mothership compilation, so at a guess, yes, Zep settled out of court with Holmes.

A quick search tells me that the suit Holmes filed was dismissed with prejudice in January 2012, presumably because the band settled with him. They pretty much had no choice there, man.  :lol
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 09:55:32 AM by Jaq »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: November 25, 2012, 09:58:13 AM »

The Dazed and Confused mess was at the end of the guitar solo section. Page went back to the riff that ends the instrumental section early while Bonham and Jones were playing the last few bars before it. They didn't really RESOLVE it, but the fix was to make it sound like the end of the instrumental section just dissolves into chaos before picking back up the last verse. It sounds like an unholy mess, but it now sounds like they MEANT it to be an unholy mess. It's hard to explain unless you've heard the original boots and Celebration Day.

This... I think the difference between the boot, and the official release is that on the bootleg the don't even sound on the same beat/time.  With the CD, while still not how it should've been played, they at least sound in time with each other.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #162 on: November 25, 2012, 10:03:28 AM »
That would be it, yes. Not sure how it was done, but the band is playing in time with each other now, where they weren't on that night. Like I said, it sounds like they MEANT it to be an unholy mess. And at least they didn't try to completely fix it using the rehearsal or overdubs. It's not quite the unvarnished performance, but it's workable. The thing about the mess up is the drum fill that comes at the end of that section was one of the things I'd wondered if Jason Bonham could pull off, and you really can't tell now.  :lol

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #163 on: December 02, 2012, 01:42:45 PM »
Probably preaching to the choir, but on Wikipedia, I saw some interesting statements:

Rolling Stone magazine described them as "the heaviest band of all time", "the biggest band of the '70s" and "unquestionably one of the most enduring bands in rock history". Similarly, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame stated that the band were "as influential in that decade [the 1970s] as The Beatles were in the prior one".

Now some people here may know I'm a huge fan of the Beatles, and I really get off on the idea of them being *the* rock band of the '60s, and have long searched for such a definitive band for the '70s and so on. A lot of people here at DTF will give you a lot of conflicting answers when you ask them however who they think is the greatest band of "X" decade; I've heard Pink Floyd, Rush, King Crimson, Genesis, and on and on. But would you guys say there's a decent argument to be made for the bolded statement?

Again, counting for the obvious bias, but would you say from an objective and impartial standpoint, one could call Zeppelin the "definitive" '70s rock band, whatever that means?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Jaq

« Reply #164 on: December 02, 2012, 01:55:55 PM »
Yes. Without question. They were the biggest band in the world, they made a murderer's row of albums in the 70s, and they're still gathering fans at a rate that a contemporary band would kill to have. Plus, like it or hate it, they're the band that did Stairway to Heaven. That if nothing else insured their place as the band of the 70s.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #165 on: December 02, 2012, 02:17:52 PM »
I've thought of Led Zeppelin as the Beatles of the 70s before. Of course, their first two albums were released in 1969, though.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Jaq

« Reply #166 on: December 02, 2012, 03:29:27 PM »
I've thought of Led Zeppelin as the Beatles of the 70s before. Of course, their first two albums were released in 1969, though.

To be fair, the Beatles' last two albums came out in 1970.  :lol

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #167 on: December 02, 2012, 03:34:29 PM »
Nope, just one of 'em. Abbey Road was 1969.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #168 on: December 02, 2012, 03:37:24 PM »
FYI, Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones are going to be on Letterman tomorrow night.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #169 on: December 02, 2012, 03:40:17 PM »
FYI, Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones are going to be on Letterman tomorrow night.

Yeah , I'm shocked about this.  DVR baby!  I'm guessing Jason Bonham is drumming.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #170 on: December 02, 2012, 03:41:41 PM »

I just saw that too.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Jaq

« Reply #171 on: December 02, 2012, 03:47:13 PM »
Letterman's totally going to ask Plant about a reunion tour. I just know he will.  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: December 02, 2012, 08:52:36 PM »
Was it just an interview or are they performing?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #173 on: December 02, 2012, 09:17:26 PM »
The info on the cable guide indicated that it would be the three of them and "insert name here" performing.  Can't remember who it was.  So, not certain.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Light fuse and get away...
« Reply #174 on: December 02, 2012, 09:22:20 PM »
I hope it's Slipknot's Joey Jordison.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon