Author Topic: Have you ever left a concert early because it was horrible?  (Read 6402 times)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Have you ever left a concert early because it was horrible?
« on: August 10, 2010, 03:27:40 PM »
Many times, because we could be stuck in post concert traffic for hours and my step dad has to go to work the next day, we leave during the last song if it is one of the ones we are not big on hearing, but I can only ever think of a time when we left due to the horrible show, and that was Bob Dylan. He was baaaaad.

How about you guys?

Offline ehra

Re: Have you ever left a concert early because it was horrible?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
Every concert I've been to so far has been amazing.

But, yes, I would.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 03:30:09 PM »
Yeah same here, didn't leave during the CiM show nor the BC&SL...that's all the "REAL CONCERTS!" I've ever been to

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 03:33:52 PM »
Many times, because we could be stuck in post concert traffic for hours and my step dad has to go to work the next day, we leave during the last song if it is one of the ones we are not big on hearing, but I can only ever think of a time when we left due to the horrible show, and that was Bob Dylan. He was baaaaad.

How about you guys?

I have never left a show early before.
How could you leave early at a Bob Dylan show.
I saw him live last year and sure he isn't anymore what he was.
But it still is Bob "friggin" Dylan.
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 03:36:43 PM »

How about you guys?

I have never left a show early before.
How could you leave early at a Bob Dylan show.
I saw him live last year and sure he isn't anymore what he was.
But it still is Bob "friggin" Dylan.

No. He sucked. We stayed for Like a Rolling Stone and the only time we could tell it was that song was when he screamed "HOOOW DOES IT FEEEL?" We finally said fuck it when he started All Along the Watchtower and I couldn't decipher any of it. The one thing that did make that show ok was that John Mellencamp opened. And so did Willie Nelson. They were cool.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 03:38:07 PM »
I hate doing that.  I know this was prompted by the sports thread, and I think they are different things altogether.  A sporting event is at its essence a contest between the two teams.  The spectators just get to witness it.  A concert, on the other hand, is being done for the fans.  The music is being played to them.  So I don't really have a problem with people leaving a sporting event early, but I think it is rude to leave a concert early because, as a rule, the band is there performing for the crowd and is relying on the crowd for energy and support.  I think I may have left a show or two early out of all the shows I've seen, but I don't recall doing so and will generally try to avoid it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 03:46:06 PM »
I've never left show but I've walked around if I didn't like the band.  

Edit: An opening band. Never a headline which I payed money to see.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 03:51:43 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 03:49:38 PM »
I don't go to horrible concerts, so no.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 03:52:42 PM »
We walked out on the Allman Brothers.  Couldn't tell what they were singing, what song it was, and how long they had been playing some boring improvisation.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 03:54:22 PM »
I never have, but if it was bad enough I'd leave. I have a hard time imagining any of the bands I listen to being that bad live though.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 05:56:41 PM »
Only once, and it was because we were all really drunk and itching to get drunker at some bar. I would have stayed (it was a great show) but everyone else was leaving so I just tagged along. It was a free concert though, so no big loss.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 05:58:33 PM »
I wanted to leave during the Dream Theater/Queensryche show.  I didn't, but in retrospect I wish I did.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 06:05:19 PM »
Well, I gotta say, I hate fighting for parking, so I'm usually the kill-joy who's walking out of the venue as the band are taking their bows or even earlier, while the last notes are ringing.

During Final Frontier tour this year, I left while Bruce was giving his nightly "running free" speech. Because I had seen him rant over Running Free before, and because I couldn't hear a word of what he was saying, anyway.

I left during Ozzy at Ozzfest once. I was really only interested in seeing Maiden, and was already quite worn-down from having to set through a crapfest to get to them all day. In retrospect, I wish I would've stayed for that.

Aside from that, I left an RX Bandits show after the first two songs. They were touring for dredg, and I was there to see dredg anyway, but I had picked up an RX Bandits CD just to check 'em out. I even liked the CD. But live, their whole act was really stripped down and the sound was horrible. So I left!

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 06:07:17 PM »
Wow, I've never met anyone who's heard of the RX Bandits before. I only know them because of their ridiculously wacky cover of Megadeth's Holy Wars. Are they actually any good?
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 06:19:40 PM »
Well, they're punk-ish but they have horns and keyboards and other weird instrumental stuff going on. So, studio-wise, they're pretty good. Like a Mars Volta lite. Live, everything was stripped down completely to just guitars, bass, and drums. Though they seemed to be all taking turns on the drums, since there were three kits on stage.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 06:24:50 PM »
Never left a concert early, probably never will.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 06:31:55 PM »
Well, they're punk-ish but they have horns and keyboards and other weird instrumental stuff going on.

Sounds like ska.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 06:34:36 PM »
I walked out on Meshell N'Degeocello. She's a soul/jazz/funk singer and bassist, and usually awesome. We came to hear her songs, but instead she just went nuts with her band, churning out instrumental free jazz. Basically we enjoyed it for the first 15 minutes, but we were still waiting for her to start her 'real' set.

Turned out she didn't have one, after 45 minutes had passed. We figured that 1,5 hours of that stuff would be a bit too much, so we said fuck it, straight to the clubs.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 06:44:12 PM »
Only once, at a Heaven & Hell show. No, it didn't suck at all, but it was ridiculously cold and we were stuck way, way, way in the back and could barely see anything and couldn't hear clearly.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 05:27:38 AM »
When I saw Iron Maiden at the Download festival. The sound was horrible, I was miles back and it was Iron Maiden.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 05:30:01 AM »
When I saw Iron Maiden at the Download festival. The sound was horrible, I was miles back and it was Iron Maiden.

I understand, I can't get into them at all. Bought 'Rock in Rio', watched it several times, and sold it. What a cheesefest.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 06:16:03 AM »
I saw Pantera 'open' for Skid Row.
I went to the show fully expecting to leave when Skid Row came on.
And I did.

I kinda regret it now.....Skid Row's stuff is pretty decent...they were well in decline by that time but still...I shoulda stuck around.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 07:54:40 AM »
... I think it is rude to leave a concert early because, as a rule, the band is there performing for the crowd and is relying on the crowd for energy and support ...

And I think it is rude when a band puts on an uninspired performance that I paid for. A concert is a two-way street. I pay to see them perform and if they aren't holding up their end of the bargain, why should I suffer?  

And to answer the original question of the post, yes I have walked out early for a variety of reasons - catching a train, wanting to avoid traffic snarls in the parking lot, boring performances and terrible performances.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 08:14:39 AM »
I agree with the post above. What if you happen to be just someone who heard about that artist/band and just bought the ticket to check them out? I honestly would stay even if their songs suck, as long as they put energy into their performance. If they don't, then I'm willing to leave in less than half time.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 09:26:05 AM »
... I think it is rude to leave a concert early ...

Read this review and tell me if you think I did something rude by leaving this particular show early. And I would have left a lot earlier had it not been for my wife (well, truth be told, I would not have been there in the first place had my wife not wanted to go). As it was, I left the concert area about 45 minutes into the set and sat at the venue's downstairs bar because the show was that bad. And my wife, who was the fan, threw in the towel on this debacle about an hour before it finally ended...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/28/AR2010062804908.html

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 12:48:34 PM »
yes, but I would be flamed to death by dtf if I said who it was

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 12:50:19 PM »
You left a DT concert early?!

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 12:51:20 PM »
yes, but I would be flamed to death by dtf if I said who it was

DT, Opeth, PT, Rush?

The important question is why?

Read this review and tell me if you think I did something rude by leaving this particular show early. And I would have left a lot earlier had it not been for my wife (well, truth be told, I would not have been there in the first place had my wife not wanted to go). As it was, I left the concert area about 45 minutes into the set and sat at the venue's downstairs bar because the show was that bad. And my wife, who was the fan, threw in the towel on this debacle about an hour before it finally ended...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/28/AR2010062804908.html

:lol
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 12:56:59 PM by 73109 »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2010, 01:11:22 PM »

Hey, that's my opinion as a general rule.  I'm not saying there aren't exceptions, and I'm not going to get into the business of judging whether each person's decision to leave a show is justified or not.  I'm just stating my general opinion on the issue.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2010, 01:12:04 PM »
Probably PT or Pain of Salvation
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2010, 01:40:01 PM »
no, it was Yes when they toured with DT.  I brought my friend with me who had  not really heard of either, but I knew he would enjoy DT.  DT that night was beyond their game...pure amazing!  yes came on, and while I enjoy some of their stuff, the contrast between the two was too much for my friend (and even me).  I probably would've stayed if he wasn't with me, but I didn't argue with him when he asked about leaving.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2010, 02:16:41 PM »
I know the feeling.  When DT toured with King's X and Satriani, Satriani was the closer out here, and I was seriously tempted to leave during his set.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2010, 02:18:58 PM »
I know the feeling.  When DT toured with King's X and Satriani, Satriani was the closer out here, and I was seriously tempted to leave during his set.

Wow! I'm not the only one to feel that way.  I walked around durring his set because it was so damn boring. KX was great.  Got to shake hands with Jerry then Joe came on and my buds and I walked around and got some beers before DT came on.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2010, 02:19:27 PM »
I don't go to horrible concerts, so no.

This
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2010, 02:37:38 PM »
I know the feeling.  When DT toured with King's X and Satriani, Satriani was the closer out here, and I was seriously tempted to leave during his set.

Wow! I'm not the only one to feel that way.  I walked around durring his set because it was so damn boring. KX was great.  Got to shake hands with Jerry then Joe came on and my buds and I walked around and got some beers before DT came on.

Yeah, I mean not to take away from his ability or anything, but to me, he's just not that exciting to watch for more than a few songs because it just starts to feel very repetitive.