Author Topic: Just saw John Mayer at Hershey  (Read 4464 times)

Offline ehra

Just saw John Mayer at Hershey
« on: August 08, 2010, 07:10:09 PM »
I had never heard of him before I was asked to go, only reason I did go was because my stepdad had already bought 4 tickets for himself, my mom, and my two younger sisters but my mom decided she didn't want to go (she has hearing problems and didn't want to risk making it worse). Wasn't sure what to expect going in; considering my stepdad's taste in music I was expecting some country or bluegrass stuff. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised (not that I have a problem with country or bluegrass). He put on one hell of a show, the weather was beautiful, and the band seemed to genuinely enjoy being there.

Also, the opening band (Train) I HAD heard of and they were pretty good too. Amazing concert.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what John Mayer album I should get.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Just saw John Mayer at Hershey
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 07:11:24 PM »
He is pretty huge here, and all over the radio.

Offline ehra

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 07:13:47 PM »
I don't talk to people. Or radios. So I had no idea who he was before the show  :P

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 07:18:15 PM »
I don't talk to people. Or radios. So I had no idea who he was before the show  :P
I must say that I only know because one of my housemates listens to the radio :p.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 07:29:13 PM »
I had never heard of him before I was asked to go, only reason I did go was because my stepdad had already bought 4 tickets for himself, my mom, and my two younger sisters but my mom decided she didn't want to go (she has hearing problems and didn't want to risk making it worse). Wasn't sure what to expect going in; considering my stepdad's taste in music I was expecting some country or bluegrass stuff. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised (not that I have a problem with country or bluegrass). He put on one hell of a show, the weather was beautiful, and the band seemed to genuinely enjoy being there.

Also, the opening band (Train) I HAD heard of and they were pretty good too. Amazing concert.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what John Mayer album I should get.

The only correct answer (IMO) is 'Continuum'. It's an adult pop masterpiece, and it's drenched in blues. The song 'In Repair' was composed and recorded (in Avatar studios) in ONE day. Amazing.

His DVD/Blu-ray 'Where The Light Is' is great, too. You get to see him in three variations: acoustic, blues trio (SRV style) and his regular band.

I couldn't stand to hear the guy's voice for more than an hour though. He's talented, good, but after a while he just doesn't offer enough variation.

P.s. almost forgot, glad you had a great time!
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 08:02:47 PM »
I agree with Pixel, get Continuum.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 09:38:49 PM »
So glad to help out someone looking to get into Mayer. Definitely check out Continuum and his Where the Light Is DVD/CD -- it's all three sides of him on display.

Hes playing a bunch of songs from his latest, Battle Studies, on this tour as well, so I'd check that one out if you liked what he was playing. It's a very quaint, california rock inspired album. Love it to pieces.

Offline ehra

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 07:14:16 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions  :tup

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 07:14:45 PM »
Let us know what you think!

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 08:02:27 PM »
I saw him last weekend in Pittsburgh. He put on a great show, and I loved that he included extended solo sections for all his band members. Train put on a great show as well. It's funny that their singer has more trouble with their massive hit "Hey Soul Sister" than any other, but that's just because they leave it for the end and he really shows off his voice a lot earlier in the show.

And yes, Continuum is the album to get, and Where the Light Is is awesome as well.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 08:06:58 PM »
For that kind of rock/pop, Train/John Mayer sounds like a perfect combination.  Glad you had a great time.

I really need to check out some of JM's bluesy stuff, all I ever hear are his poppier songs.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 08:20:43 PM »
For that kind of rock/pop, Train/John Mayer sounds like a perfect combination.  Glad you had a great time.

I really need to check out some of JM's bluesy stuff, all I ever hear are his poppier songs.

Sky, try John Mayer Trio, very bluesy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 08:22:09 PM »

This, or you could get Where the Light Is, 'cause in addition to the blues trio set he also pumps up most of his pop tunes with extended solos and stuff.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 09:55:10 PM »

This, or you could get Where the Light Is, 'cause in addition to the blues trio set he also pumps up most of his pop tunes with extended solos and stuff.

the live version of Gravity  :hefdaddy

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 10:08:40 PM »
So good. i think my favorite cut from it is his cover of Ray Charles' I Don't Need No Doctor. The solo spots are phenomenal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXWKMwnWP4Q

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 05:16:24 AM »
So good. i think my favorite cut from it is his cover of Ray Charles' I Don't Need No Doctor. The solo spots are phenomenal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXWKMwnWP4Q

that's indeed one of the best tracks on the DVD. Great stuff, and I love how he tears it up on a Strat.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 06:06:14 AM »
I don't talk to people. Or radios.

It's good to know you don't talk to radios, we were worried heh
But you gotta talk to people my friend!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 09:12:24 AM »
I had an awesome time at the Raleigh concert this summer.

Room for Squares - Like most pop albums: A little too long, huge gaps between the better songs and the lesser songs. So hooky it's almost offensive.

Heavier Things - His worst by far. "Clarity" rules though.

Continuum - His best by far.

Battle Studies - Again a little long. Nothing on the stand-out level of "Why Georgia" or "Gravity" but better overall than his first two.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 09:35:05 AM »
I only get the "too long" thing from Heavier Things. The songs I'm not too crazy about are New Deep, Split Screen Sadness, and Only Heart. I could see how you would think that about Room For Squares, though. Especially Love Song For No One. :lol

I'm surprised you think Battle Studies is too long. It goes by so quickly for me (helps that it's 46 minutes long). Of course it's not as good as Continuum, but even he said that. I think the last four tracks deserve to be considered among his top material.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 09:39:07 AM »
I saw him last weekend in Pittsburgh. He put on a great show, and I loved that he included extended solo sections for all his band members. Train put on a great show as well. It's funny that their singer has more trouble with their massive hit "Hey Soul Sister" than any other, but that's just because they leave it for the end and he really shows off his voice a lot earlier in the show.

And yes, Continuum is the album to get, and Where the Light Is is awesome as well.

I could see why he would. The vocalist even sounds like he's straining on the record :lol

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
Battle Studies definately was a bit of a disappointment after the brilliant Continuum, but still there's some great tracks on it: Assassin, Edge of Desire, All We Ever Do Is Say Goodbye & Friends, Lovers or Nothing. I can't stand Half of My Heart and War of My Life, though.

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 11:10:57 AM »
Get Continuum first, that's his best. Battle Studies and his live album should be the next one you go for and from there it doesn't really matter.

You should learn Slow Dancing in a Burning Room on guitar. Trust me, just that intro will make girls melt. Lyrics probably won't but it's not like they're listening anyways. :lol

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2010, 12:59:40 PM »
Battle Studies definately was a bit of a disappointment after the brilliant Continuum, but still there's some great tracks on it: Assassin, Edge of Desire, All We Ever Do Is Say Goodbye & Friends, Lovers or Nothing. I can't stand Half of My Heart and War of My Life, though.

fuuuuu I LOVE War of My Life. Not the hugest fan of Assassin though. Everyone seems to love it but I find the chorus and it's lyrics incredibly bland.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 06:55:41 PM »

fuuuuu I LOVE War of My Life. Not the hugest fan of Assassin though. Everyone seems to love it but I find the chorus and it's lyrics incredibly bland.

True, but I dig the rocky vibe and the groove of it. I wish he'd do more of that stuff. As a song, War of my Life is indeed better I guess. There's just not many Mayer songs I don't have any complaints about.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2010, 11:34:15 PM »
Wait, you said before you couldn't stand War of My Life. I don't follow

I do love the bridge section of Assassin (suddenly I'm in / over my head and / I can hardly breathe). I guess every person has that one artist that speaks to him in a kind of special or transcendent way. That's what Mayer is to me, cheesy as it may sound. Maybe that's why I have a hard time finding glaring faults in his music, because I just tend to accept it ... which is great for my emotional enjoyment but not-so-great for my critical eye

fake edit: I don't really know what prompted me to write that, but I guess I'll leave it :lol

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2010, 11:45:26 PM »
I've always been biased on John Mayer, because of "Your Body Is A Wonderland", and I keep hearing how great of a guitarist he is. I guess i need to check out kingshmegland's recommendation of Continuum, cuz i love me some blues

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 05:27:28 AM »
Wait, you said before you couldn't stand War of My Life. I don't follow

I do love the bridge section of Assassin (suddenly I'm in / over my head and / I can hardly breathe). I guess every person has that one artist that speaks to him in a kind of special or transcendent way. That's what Mayer is to me, cheesy as it may sound. Maybe that's why I have a hard time finding glaring faults in his music, because I just tend to accept it ... which is great for my emotional enjoyment but not-so-great for my critical eye

fake edit: I don't really know what prompted me to write that, but I guess I'll leave it :lol

That´s cool man.  :tup

I can't stand the style of War of My Life, that's what I meant. It's probably a better song, but not appealing at all to me (or not yet).

The bridge of Assassin is great indeed, but you know that transition to the guitar solo? 'I'm gone. He sings 'I'm' on a note which makes it seem that the song is going to transpose to a higher altogether key, but it doesn't. The first few times I heard it, I thought it was a mistake, but now I'm used to it, and it's okay. But I'm still fighting with my brother about it: He thinks it destroys the song, I don't.  :lol

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 06:35:50 AM »
Dude. I feel the same way as your brother, just to a lesser extent. It bothers me a bit every time :lol

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2010, 11:14:02 AM »
I completely agree with Goon on everything so far. Although Slow Dancing In A Burning Room is easily my favourite song of his, it's easily the best example of emotion being conveyed through music I've ever heard, and his solo on the WTLI version reaches emotional guitar highs you don't often get this century. But yeah, Continuum for studio, Where The Light Is for anything else.