Author Topic: Meshuggah  (Read 110238 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Meshuggah
« Reply #560 on: October 10, 2016, 01:35:00 PM »
I just read this review:
https://www.metalsucks.net/2016/10/05/review-meshuggah-separate-kids-grown-ups-violent-sleep-reason/

... and I kind of have to agree. This is their best one yet. What a record!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #561 on: October 10, 2016, 03:46:39 PM »
Love this quote:

"The Violent Sleep of Reason is a freaking tour-de-force; a total deconstruction of heavy music."

I was listening on the album with earbuds and I have to say listening with some quality headphones instead really does make a huge diffrence. The overall sound is so much meatier and everything sounds so raw and clear, the guitar tone comes to life. Haven't listened in my car yet, usually that's a good place to crank up the volume. Hopefully my speakers won't mind.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #562 on: October 10, 2016, 04:10:43 PM »
This record is just earth-shattering. The fact that I'm blown away by it after having heard so much heavy music says enough for me. That moment in Clockworks where it introduces that bouncy riff that carries on throughout almost the remainder of the song, good lord how did they come up with that?
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline faizoff

« Reply #563 on: October 10, 2016, 08:34:46 PM »
I've been listening to the Play music version so far and am waiting for the CD version tomorrow, can't wait to listen to all the chugging riffs on it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: October 11, 2016, 03:39:29 AM »
This record is just earth-shattering. The fact that I'm blown away by it after having heard so much heavy music says enough for me. That moment in Clockworks where it introduces that bouncy riff that carries on throughout almost the remainder of the song, good lord how did they come up with that?

Agreed, so many great moments on this one. My favourite part of the record overall right now is the "Stifled" and "Nostrum" combo.

The fact that nary a thing fades out is very telling too, i.e. the only reason so many 'shuggah songs fade out is because they get lazy (and/or frustrated) writing songs in Cubase and pick the easiest way to end the song. Rehearsing the songs live as a band first encourages making a real ending!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: October 11, 2016, 04:08:18 AM »
It's mad they use Cubase. Not *even* Pro Tools or Logic.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #566 on: October 11, 2016, 05:11:36 AM »
Album is not bad.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #567 on: October 11, 2016, 10:49:34 AM »
I was just listening to it while my brother (not a metal fan at all) entered the room. He commented that it sounds like there's a demon being slaughtered. Pretty accurate description, I have to agree.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: October 11, 2016, 02:40:49 PM »
Just listened to Clockworks all the way through via Tomas Haake's drumthrough vid :tup

Enjoyable but I don't know how often I could listen to it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #569 on: October 12, 2016, 04:00:08 AM »
Funny album review by Ola Englund, the guitarist in The Haunted:

New Meshuggah vs. DOOM
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #570 on: October 14, 2016, 03:13:08 AM »
Meshuggah crushin Clockworks live:

https://youtu.be/rhM4wYPcD3c

Better quality:
https://youtu.be/yfM8kONQPvU

« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 03:24:38 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #571 on: October 14, 2016, 03:13:36 AM »
I've listened to Catch 33 so fucking much lately!!  :angel:
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: January 06, 2017, 07:44:27 PM »
I was reading Prog magazine's December issue and Meshuggah drummer Tomas Haake took a little shot at Dream Theater. He called them "regressive metal."

"Personally I feel like there's a big difference between prog and progressive. I definitely see us as progressive in the sense that we are trying to push the boundaries of what we are doing within a set genre, but at the same time there's not a lot of connecting points with what I see as 'prog.' I guess for me the evolution of prog -- and I could be wrong and people will say I'm stupid! -- it turned into bands like dream theater, and I can't stand to listen to them, I can't take it. I don't know exactly why. A lot of that stuff seems like regressive metal to me."
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 12:32:51 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #573 on: January 06, 2017, 08:53:40 PM »
>meshuggah
>pushing boundaries

not like he's particularly wrong about DT these days but coming from this band of all bands, it's just, funny

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #574 on: January 07, 2017, 01:14:45 AM »
I think they both push boundaries, just in diffrent ways. DT by doing something diffrent to them for every new album but I wouldn't say they push the boundaries of prog metal, not anymore atleast.
Meshuggah always challenge the listener even though some would say everything sounds the same. They basically created their own genre and while alot of bands have copied them no band really sounds like them and imo they are with out a doubt still the most interesting and creative within that genre. They may not push the boundaries of their own genre as much anymore but they certainly are the leaders.
They're more interesting than DT these days but that's just my opinion.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #575 on: January 07, 2017, 03:51:59 AM »
Judging by the last five DT albums, I definetely agree. And I'm a fan of two of those five, but still.

Although, I'm not really enjoying Meshuggah's latest as much as I'd hoped either.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #576 on: January 07, 2017, 08:11:57 AM »
I thought he was referring to bands that sound like DT (aka copycats) - after all, I've read that Portnoy was one of his drumming influences.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #577 on: January 10, 2017, 03:02:03 PM »
I thought he was referring to bands that sound like DT (aka copycats) - after all, I've read that Portnoy was one of his drumming influences.

I don't think so. I think it was really a jab at DT and all other prog metal bands ala DT.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline faizoff

« Reply #578 on: January 10, 2017, 03:38:34 PM »
This wouldn't be the first time Thomas Haake has mentioned his disdain for DT. I don't really bother with comments by band members that hate other bands. I still listen to them all.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #579 on: January 11, 2017, 06:55:14 AM »
This wouldn't be the first time Thomas Haake has mentioned his disdain for DT. I don't really bother with comments by band members that hate other bands. I still listen to them all.

I get what you say. Yet, I just can't stand that sort of attitude. It makes people feel superior, it's a contest to show who has the bigger d***...? Why has someone to bash another person / band...when it us uncalled for?

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #580 on: January 11, 2017, 08:55:01 AM »
I don't belive it can be considered mindless bashing. He has a thought about a certain stream of music and expresses his thoughts on the subject (which frankly, I sorta agree with, although i think it applies to the likes of Opeth and most of the Neal Morse stuff rather than DT).

But like Parama said, it's hilarious that these words come out of the mouth of a Messhugah member, even though he stated that he is aware that Meshuggah stay relativrly close to their origins.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Cable

« Reply #581 on: May 15, 2017, 09:44:38 PM »
---

Offline Cable

« Reply #582 on: August 29, 2017, 07:19:52 PM »
I don't think I shared this, maybe I did. Guy doing I on guitar, pretty much the only cover of it. Intro of the video is Tomas even saying they probably won't play it, due to it being put together as all over the place. Such a mostly unrelenting, heavy song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLfgsSVi5WY
---

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #583 on: August 30, 2017, 09:05:35 PM »
I don't know why I haven't checked out the latest Meshuggah album yet. I'm gonna rectumfy that tomorrow or maybe tonight but I'm really in the mood to watch Billy Elliot.

Edit: Listened to it. Lots of hype surrounding this album but it's nothing mind-blowing. It's a good album for sure but it really calls into question Haake's comment about Dream Theater's "progressiveness" ???
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 12:47:39 PM by Herrick »
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #584 on: August 06, 2018, 02:54:00 PM »

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: March 22, 2019, 04:29:55 PM »
- OUT WORLDWIDE -

Swedish extreme tech-metal pioneers Meshuggah are proud to release an exclusive collection of vinyl reissues celebrating the bands legacy. The collection offers a limited, one-time only pressing that includes re-imagined cover artwork, redesigned gatefold jackets and audio mastered for vinyl.

The reissues for Nothing, I, Catch Thirty-Three, obZen, and Koloss are available now at nuclearblast.com/meshuggah-reissues.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #586 on: March 22, 2019, 06:31:27 PM »
The "I" artwork looks sick!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #587 on: May 01, 2020, 12:13:40 PM »
As a drummer I love rythms and everything that comes along with it. Hearing rythms lock into eachother is like a wetdream for me.  :P

Anyway, this just tickles that special place for me. I don't think it could be more Meshuggah like in terms of rythms and keeping the 4/4 no matter what: Vortex

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #588 on: May 04, 2020, 06:34:53 AM »
There's a short rhythm that's quite similar to the ones in Bleed at the end. Cool stuff.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #589 on: May 04, 2020, 12:38:49 PM »
There's a short rhythm that's quite similar to the ones in Bleed at the end. Cool stuff.
Someone linked this to me, it's apparently a bit more than just the feel of Meshuggah :omg: :lol https://youtu.be/U6vDBC1odrU

Here's with better sound: https://youtu.be/L1oMAc6yfPA
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 12:51:10 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #590 on: June 25, 2020, 02:31:08 AM »
It's funny, I love Meshuggah and have listen to them for many years but can only listen to them for some time before carrying over to something else. However I always keep coming back to them either by stumbling over a live clip or just needing that special fix that only Meshuggah can deliver. That happens a couple of times every year, the bands just fascinate me so much. They sound amazing live, have a unique sound and have had that sound way before this whole Djent thing ever was a thing.

Right know i'm gasping over Born in Dissonance, it's so freakin heavy it's insane.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #591 on: June 28, 2020, 07:13:55 AM »
They are unlike anything else I ever heard. You SO have to be in the mood but they are utterly fantastic. When I'm into it and listening to it and can hear the two rhythms at the same time it feels like my brain is being rewired by some cosmic force from outer space.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #592 on: September 04, 2020, 10:29:21 AM »
I feel the driving force in Meshuggah is Haakes drumming especially in the bands later years. However I think Jens the singer dosen't get enough recognition in a way. When you listen to the growling it's so much rythm based and in sync with the music which has be pretty hard to nail live. Especially when the music is as chaotic as it is.

I do know that Haake writes the lyrics and help Jens with the vocal rythms.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #593 on: September 04, 2020, 01:55:14 PM »
That's an excellent point. Take "The Demon's Name is Surveillance" for example. The vocals in chorus follow exactly the single note punctuations on the guitar. "following...your...every..single move.." Though that's a Thordendal tune, I think the whole band tend to think rhythmically all the time.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #594 on: March 19, 2021, 01:43:56 PM »

Let the tracking commence!  :metal

Nice to see Haake changing things up with more toms on his kit.

I think the whole band tend to think rhythmically all the time.
Yea they probably have a very established way of feeling their own music and rythms after all these years playing and writing music together.